Record Of Strength

foggymountainmuscle

07-13-04

Pinch and bending.

Did about six timber ties. Pretty easy to do with my verticle style so I tried a few other styles to build those up. I did a few underhanded, my under hand is getting alot better. Tried a cut one, but it was just too short for me to apply the pressure verticle style and I couldn't get it underhand (the style I use for short bends). I still could not bend my remaining zinc plated stock. I did kink it, but with verticle style you can kink darn near anything. I bought a pony clamp yesterday. Pretty sissy compared to most but I'm close to getting it fully closed. I did 3 sets of 6 assisted posatives + the negative. I cooled down with dexterity balls.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• foggymountainmuscle

• danegarreau

• mossman

• Meat Loaf

07-14-05

I forgot who posted the pic of the one handed ab roller that gave me the idea tp make mine. Was it gamidon? I think so, and you are a bastard. I did two warm up sets using both hands. I then did 2 sets of 5 each side doing the negative and assisted posative. I will now list everything that is sore:

lats, chest, obliques, abdominals, hip flexors, lower back, tricep, bicept short head, and neck

First rep I thought I almost ripped my shoulder out of its socket, second rep I thought my radius would snap at the elbow. And on the third rep I was struck with such a bad head ache I crumpled to the floor. So I got tough and went on to do the 2 sets of 5 reps each side. This will occupy my in my dorm down at school all year.

Foggy, it wasn't Gamidon, I'm the bastard! But Brad came up with this sick little #@&%, so he's the ULTIMATE BASTARD! This thing is wild, I'm having a lot of fun with it. Most guys won't even try it when they see you do it! I know what you mean about your arm feeling like it's going to break, I've never felt anythng close to it with any other exercise. Great job :rock

Yeah Anson I found out a day later after posting that and thought my next workout report would make the correction in time. But no rush, why accredit gamidon with anything posative, much less an apology. :)

I wanted to train grip and bending today. Unfortunately unless my parents and brother are all at work, I don't get a day off and any plans to workout were thwarted.

Well I'll report on my workout I did last night. I'm pretty sore from it too, more so than the normal level of soreness, especially on the sides of my butt.

The recent rain and lack of time made the railroad ties unappealing to work with. So I went down stairs to concock a heavy lower body workout with a substandard amount of weights. I warmed up with some unweighted squats, then some pistols, then I shouldered a 10 pound dumbell and did 8 reps on each leg, I then loaded the dumbell to 20 pounds and did 8 reps, and then ended on 30 pounds with 5 reps. The last set of reps was pretty strict too. If you do pistols, don't do them fast, not slow, but don't go fast.

I then worked on the ab roller, warmed up with two hands. Did alot of different stuff trying to find something that didn't rip my arm off and didn't need me to push on the ground with my hand so much. I finally settled on extending myself but having the wheel stopped right before I would normally fall flat and then I would pull myself back in. As I get stronger I'll increase the range of motion. I have a feeling though once my arm can handle the heavy stress I can knock them off unassisted. Didn't get such a bad headache or had my arm hurt as bad.

There you have it folks, a heavy workout in less than 5 working sets working everything from the knee to the wrist using 30 pounds and two plastic wheels.

Lower arm and upper body

Started with bending. I was so mad I couldn't bend any of my new HRS 1/4" stock even though I kinked everyone of them the same amount from 7" to 8.5". Moved onto some brick lifting. Bent over rows with six bricks, 6 reps, got 5 reps with 6 +1/3 a brick, 5 reps with most of a brick and 6, and 4 with a full brick on top. The sets of 5 all got dropped on the 4th rep. Worked some on the grippers. Did one set of 5 and another of 4 with a glove on my filed #1. Right went past the normal closing point most reps. Left didn't do so well. Did 2 sets of inverted closes with my gloves on, on the trainer. Same reps as the #1 work. I topped it off with one set of 5 forced closed #2s. I swear this thing is nasty. I doubt I'll need and inbetweener to handle the #3.

Lower body strongman

Tried working with my farmer impliments. I found a good balance point on both of the handles, that helped. I manage to make it 60 feet with one drop and 40 feet with no drops. These things are very frustrating, I'm going to run two rods to keep them connected so that I'll be able to train for the 120' at nationals. These things get heavier all the time due to their accumulating decay and water, which I didn't notice was such a big deal until I saw their underside! I did a few sets of strapped deadholds, didn't get a good time both times I did it. This workout was feeling like a waste of time. I did some neck work with 2 sets of walking 3 barn lengths with the sandbag on either side of my head. With some experimentation I found a great exercise, sandbag good mournings. Put it on your head and bend over, your leverage sucks. My form on this was rather assisted but tough on the back and neck. This exercise should give me a good and deep back work. I cooled down by duckwalking my impliments back to there spot. I don't think I was completely recovered but I'm still disapointed.

Foggy, good luck at Teen nats. You should do very well, hopefully i will be able to make it next year.

I hope to see you out there next year too, it would get interesting to say the least. Mossman needs to come on down too.

Yesterday a news photographer came to take pictures of me for a story they're going to run about my involment in strongman. They wanted photos of me training so I ran through some bending, long and unbraced, stone lifting, farmer walks, bigger stone lifting, grippers, brick lifting, and truck towing.

I felt very strong when I did all these things, I came closer than ever on my #2 (1/4" at no set), I picked up 14 bricks, 14 bricks wide, I felt like I could go 80 feet with my farmers, maybe even 100, my stones came up with little trouble, and I pulled the truck with some generous breaking applied. Despite not being able to train as much as I wanted for this competition, I'm going to come in swinging. I hope to win every event against bigger, taller, and older guys.

I hope to win every event against bigger, taller, and older guys.

Looking back, what the heck was I thinking? Win every event? These guys weren't pushovers and I shouldn't have even thought that. Screw self confidence, that was just foolish.

I ended up taking 3rd place. The reason for that I stated in the yoke topic. Damn that yoke, I will be cruising with 700 pounds next year I'm so mad at that thing. Andrew Simmons, the winner from FL, was a machine. He did no win the relay or the stones but in everything else his performance was dominating. He didn't look very stout but you could tell he's worked the events alot.

I did not lift the 210 pound log like thought I would dominate, the log was big, looked like a 12 incher, I just couldn't get under it well to use my leg drive. I was close, if only I could have trained my press and lockout over the summer, just maybe. The 190 log was easy too! I didn't even need leg drive for the first two logs either.

The famers walk, 200lbs. 120ft, one turn, I did well. I was the first one to actually finish the full length. I could not move fast with it though. For the winner, it must have been a medium farmers walk, he went fast and did not drop it. I placed 3rd in the conans wheel, I feel I did well a 138 feet with 500 pounds, but the winner got 327ft! The medly was after that, I could have flown with the duckwalk and sled, but the yoke stopped that. I hoped to make up lost points in the stone. I picked up the first two no problem. I use barely any technique, didn't even hold them close to the body, I just popped them up to be fast, which was good because this gave me 3rd place in the event for only getting two stones. The 3rd stone, I must have been tired because I've done a 225 before and let me tell you I have never come so close to lifting something and not succeeding. My height screwed me as other competitors could use a hip thrust to pop the weights up.

I hope I didn't come of as a whiney shoulda coulda and woulda "contenda". What I need to do is work on the events. The problem with that, and has been for sometime is that I do not posess enough weights. Maybe that will change this year, maybe not.

Didn't sound to me like you did that bad Foggy. I am actually about to compete with the simmons guy at Big Tony's how did he do it the yoke, log, and stones. Because all of those events ra at Tony's.

You're right Dan I didn't do that bad, it was a fun contest and the competition was serious. Here's what I gathered about Simmons: owns the log, unfamiliar with the stones, this competition was his first time lifting with them, still did well I believe he put up a 275 stone, he's also not as good with the yoke, but I don't think there's a yoke he won't finish with. He did well with the events, but I don't know if he has big numbers in the deadlift and squat, much stronger than he looks either way.

whats this about the teen nationals, foggy? i would love to come, but have no idea where it is, or whatever. im kinda new to competitions. it would be great to hang out, train and compete with you guys though. hopefully it will be by the tim i have my car next year, if thats the case then hell yeah. let me know some details. btw foggy, awesome lifts, especially the log and dead. you weigh how much? damn looks like i need to work harder.

Thanks John, I did learn alot and my training focus will shift because of this.

Dane, you'll probably be seeing me before the next teen nationals, my family wants to take a vacation to Nashville and we'll probably take the week off during the next Music City Strongman Challenge.

Mossman, if you place in the top 3 of any contest in the NASS as a teen you qualify for nationals. Be on the look out for it next year around this time. At nationals I weighed in at 156 pounds. I'm glad of the fact I could hang with some of the strongest guys out there weighing 20 pounds less on the average.

Good Job foggy looks like a solid placing on your part :rock

08-02-04

Bending and pinch

I warmed up on a kinked, cut timber tie. I worked hard to get a kinked length of hrs about 8 inches. I then attempted to bend a timber tie Brookfield style which I had done before but this nail didn't even kink my first attempt and after alot of fighting I only got it about 15 degrees. I worked hard on another length of hrs about 7.5 inches that was kinked and after a big battle and a little bracing I could only get it to about 100 degrees, just short of going to a crush down. I cooled down with some figure 8s on a small sledge but now my left wrist on the ulna side feels like it was hit with a bat in the fully extended position. I'm not too worried about it, it doesn't seem debilating and doesn't feel like a tendon or ligament problem.

I worked on pinch with a pony clamp. I put a bend nail inbetween the clamp part and tried to squeeze the pony clamp hard enought so the nail would fall off. Kinda like a washer on a gripper I guess.

08-03-04

Upper body

I went with my brother to a gym on a day pass. Place doesn't have a power rack and doesn't allow chalk, I hope I'll die before I join. Anyway it was a nice opportunity to get to do some gym lifts and workout with my brother. I found that I could max out the weight on every machine there.

Tried to do 3 sets of 5 with 205 on the bar. Got five the first time, 4 second and 3 the third. The after noon is clearly my best time to train, normally I could do the same on a thick bar, this was in the mourning. Then again I haven't benched in a while. I did some bench lockouts, broke 345 off the rack but couldn't lock it out. This fried my tricepts and cost me on the clean and press later

I did 3 good sets of 5 at 160 on the pull down. Last night during a gym tour on I did a single at 200. I tried to do 3 sets of 5 with 65 pounds in the clean and press, got 5 the first set, 3 the next and 2 the third. I did a jerk on the last reps of the last sets but my tricep was so tired I couldn't lockout.

I ended with one set of 8 cheat curls on an ez curl with about 135 pounds.

The mourning workout thing didn't help but I imagine I'm a bit rusty on these lifts.

8-9-04

I hope now that I'm down at school I'll be able to workout more regularly. Not a reall workout tonight but the gym was closed and I decided to break some of my 1/4" CRS stock. I broke a U'd 11" piece. Took a long time and alot of sweat. I hope to go O lifting tomarrow.

08-10-04

I had an alright snatching session. Didn't work up past 154 pounds. I dropped back down to do some more reps and ended on a solid snatch and decided to move on. Learning the double knee bend is hard. Once I'm more comfortable I hope my poundages sore, I can already tell that this is the way to go.

I did some bent pressing, really got into the groove. I only worked up to about 100 pounds. The disapline of good technique is key so I'm focusing on that. At this point I think the tendons of my lower arm limit my abilities because of the tension being so great. I just hope to keep working it. My bdw. should go up soon.

I wanted to do hyper shrugs, snatch squats, and overhead supports. Well I went to do the snatch squats and on a warm up of 135 I buckled on the fifth rep and smashed my lower two fingers on my left hand on a side bar! The nail of the pinkie will probably fall off, it's a pretty dark purple. I'm lucky I didn't break it. With these kind of injuries you never know how bad they are until the next day.

I decided to end the workout there and go ice my hand. I hope I can do some core work tomarrow. At the very least I'll do some pinch.

Hey man, thats a bitch. Ive hurt my finger before and had the nail fall off. Dont freak out if it takes more than a month to grow back, cause itll take awhile, but itll be back!

Sorry to hear of your injury. We all have been there, man.

God Bless

MEAT

Thanks Meat, it's looking like it won't fall off now, but then again it feels more numb than hurt. The tip of the finger is even bruised too. Luckily I can still pinch and do wrist work without it hurting. I imagine bending won't be a problem. For my workout today I finally was able to find an arm wrestling partner and got some table time in. Mostly we traded turns attacking, and did some straight out wrist fighting, similiar to leveraging. I'm stronger than him but he's got a longer lower arm and a bigger hand, so some things can be very difficult. Judging by what I experienced today my drag seems pretty strong, and my left arm is very much closer to my right in strength than normal. I got alot of advice from pinarm.com. Anyone else know any good resources for arm wrestling info? I know a few board members arm wrestle but I only remember Sixgun.

08-13-04

I did 3 sets of 335lbs. squats off the pins. I noticed that in order to maintain good form when lifting off the pins you must try to keep your back very straight even though you may not be trying to do a bodybuilder style squat. Went alright I'll have to add more weight, hard but do able.

I worked up to 725 on 1/4 squats, I held them for a good 5 seconds or so at the least. Maybe I could have done more if I had some padding. Not please with how I did but I haven't squated in a while so I guess it can be expected. I planed on doing much more but the tendonitous in my elbow was debilitatingly painful and I wanted to cut out so I could ice it.

Now that I think about it the 725 is probably the best quater squat I've done without a belt.

Does it feel good to be able to hit the weights on a regular basis now? Good job on the 1/4 squats. Do you come up from the bottom positon or unrack it then come down?

Once I find the right depth I try to keep it on the side bars. If I unrack a quater squat I could fall back off the adjustable pins. One of my squats I almost fell backwards. It feels good to hit the weights, I hope my arm heals soon. I wanted to do some grip training today but the gym was closed, luckily I can go tomarrow and do it. The pain of the bar and the load limit makes me wish I had a thickbar. Seems like I'll never be able to get one at this rate. I'm pretty sore so I hope I can do some active recovery today.