• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• foggymountainmuscle

• danegarreau

• mossman

• Meat Loaf

Thanks Meat, at the end of the workout I looked at my hands and was thinking "Holy shit it rubbed some of my finger prints off!" Anyone know what a good v-bar poundage is? I can't remember the numbers that the big guys pull.

10-14-04

Upper Body and Neck

My forearms and back are pretty fried from yesterday so in order not to tax them too heavily I took this workout as an opportunity to get some high reps and conditioning while doing some active recovery for my grip. I started with the big lift first, the dumbell clean and press. Warmed up with 50lbs. then moved into my working sets with 60 pounds. The first set I got 14 and the second set I just barely managed to eek out 10 reps. The last few reps were push presses in order to hit the target rep range and keep up the intensity. Pretty battered from the pressing I moved on to rope pullups. I got some new rope to do my pullup work on. No extra weight, warmed up with 8 reps. The next set to my astonishment I could only get 8 reps. With the help of my partner on the last 4 reps I managed to get 10 reps for the final set. My biceps were cooked and my chest had to do some hard work.

Satisfied with the amount of destruction inflicted on my upper body I moved onto neck work. I did 4 sets of my reverse bridge neck shuffles, with no weight, extra 10 pounds, and two sets that I didn't quite get all the reps with 20 extra pounds. I tried something new, which I like by neck bridging and having my partner lay into me until I collapse under the weight. I did 2 sets of 5 of these. To really work the neck I did left and right side supports leaning my head against a dumbell flat bench. Held for 12 seconds at no weight, 5lbs., and 10lbs. I feel like I could head butt someone to death after a neck workout.

Edited by foggymountainmuscle

10-16-04

Lower arm

Started off with bending, warmed up on a timber tie, then an 8" length of 1/4 HRS. Before I got into it too much I made an attempt on my #2, you could have put a sheet of paper between the handles and nothing else, POS! I was about that close to nailing my heavily filed #1, but back to the bending. I tried a length of zinc plated steel that should have been about a yellow and difficulty, felt like nothing. Okay, so I was wondering, I grabbed an near 6 inch length and totally destroyed that one too: pussy stock. No problem, I had a bunch of CRS I recently got along with the zinc plated stuff. I took down a near yellow nail and it wasn't much of a problem. I decided to go for a blue, 6 inches, got it without turning blue in the face. I was dissapointed at the strength of my stock, so I did some left hand dominant bends. Then I remember I had some old CRS stock from like a year ago that I broke that was about 6 inches. I gave it a go on that and as soon as I layed into it I could tell it wasn't going to be hard. Inbetween my PR of a yellow equivalent I did two hard hitting leverage workouts and now I'm smoking blues; that's progress. I'm going to have to order some IM or FBBC stock and see if I really have a pair but either way, this is alot of improvement.

Did some work with my blobs but the steel rods jammed into my thumb muscles and I think this really cut them down, so I wasn't able to get alot of air on any of them. I worked my thumb with a pony clamp I had and then did a bunch of high pulls on the blob using 2 fingers from both hands using different fingers. I then repped out on my #2 and filed #1 while holding the spring. Did some finger walking and reverse finger walking with my empty loading pin and cool down with Chinease balls.

I feel like I could head butt someone to death after a neck workout.

That's awesome..!!!!!!!!! :)

I feel like I could head butt someone to death after a neck workout.

That's awesome..!!!!!!!!! :)

It is awesome, next time I do a neck workout and see someone doing bent arm lateral raises, while making hissing noises, BAM! Broken jaw through the cranium. Then I'd tie all the dumbells in the dumbell rack into bowties and go on a godzilla like rampage after leaving the gym. You won't hear about it though because I'll shoot the news helecopters down with my laser vision. All because of a neck workout.

10-18-04

Snatch

Got a PR in my snatch finally. I got 178lbs. twice, spot on form. I've got the double knee bend groove and 200lbs. is on the horizon. Overal though the workout was not good. I didn't have alot of energy, I tried some snatch squats but they hurt my wrist and I could not hold the bar well to fulfill my potential. I did some overhead supports but only got up to 365lbs.

10-19-04 My beastly #2 was slain today, the handles clicked and it was no more...

After warming up a bit on my trainer and filed #1 I set my #2, I'd say to a 1 inch spread, I squeezed and knowing that it wasn't going to be easy, I dug into it and watched the never before seen unfold. The handles clicked and I overcrushed it for all I had, which was not too much I could tell but still more than the bare minimum to close it. I tried with my left and got a PR in that too, probably a quarter an inch of the way. Sucessive attempts after the fact did not come very close. I held the spring for some sweeping crushes for 1 set of 4 on the #2, and then did 2 sets of 4-5 inverted attempts with my filed #1. I did an attempt at my PDA 280, but didn't do a whole lot but I'm eagered to see what I can do fresh on it. I did some strap holds with my filed number one with five pounds, just one strap hold and it was probably past the close of a normal gripper but a success nonetheless. I did some pinching but after the crushing it really sucked. 2 25s barely came up so I worked with 90lbs. using 2 hands. 4 high pulls for 3 sets, the pulls weren't too high and the last few reps were lucky to break the ground. I then ended on an overcrush that lasted about 10 seconds.

I did rectangular fixes, working up to 35Kg and failing at 37.5Kg. I dropped it back down to 32.5Kg and did 1 set of 10 negative reverse curls. Tried some barbell wrist curls but could only do 3 reps at 105 so I did behind the back two handed plate wrist curls using a 10Kg plate. I got 3 reps for 3 sets.

The crush took alot out of me but the longterm goal was met, and it was a good workout despite the lower numbers.

10-21-04

Upper Body

Started off with dumbell bench. These kinda bothered one of my shoulders but I forgot about the problem halfway through my presses so I must not have been too bad. I used 90lbs. dumbells and got 6 on the first set because I didn't count the first rep. I got 4 on the second set and I think I only got 3 on the last set but my partner assisted me on getting all 5 of the reps. The last time I worked dumbell bench I could do about the same with 75lbs. My training partner asked me if anyone has ever benched two inch dumbells, I told him I don't think anyone who could has tried it. I though overhead partials (90 degrees) would be a good compliment to dumbell benching, I'm going to say I was right on this matter. I worked up to 215lbs. for a single, working some tough triples starting at 135lbs. These weren't strict, I wanted to allow for some bigger numbers using some back arch. My face would turn bright red each heavy rep. I felt like a skinny Paul Anderson pressing like this. I did one arm dumbell rows using 75lbs. The first set I got all 5 but the second set I didn't do so hot with my left. For the last set I did negatives with 80lbs., should have stuck with the 75s. After this I did barbell curls. Tried 3 sets of 5 at 95 but it was more like 3, 2, 2 so I did a hard isometric contraction after I couldn't do anymore. I then did some partial barbell curls using the power rack and got up to 125lbs.

10-23-04

Lower Body and Neck Work

After reading about Bob Peoples deadlifting style, I decided to alter my style. Basically I was squatting with the barbell in my hands and closely resembled a Romanian deadlift, well I tried a stance with my hips higher and it felt alot more comfortable. My new style isn't quite like Bob's, I don't hunch as much, and I go back to straight before the lockout. Deadlifting in this style made my back feel 100% better during and after a deadlift workout than before, and I believe this will lead to bigger potential numbers and lower back strength. I'm also going to hit my hook grip harder in hopes to eventually be able to lift double underhand hook like Bob advised; I think he was dead on about this grip keeping the weight closer to your body. If you don't know what I'm talking about read the post about Bob Peoples in the Geoner.

Warmed up with 135, 225, 325 for five. Hit 365 for three, 385 for 2, 405 for 1, 420 for one, and could not do more. Dissapointing but I'm going to keep on this. I moved onto partials at knee level and I think I only got 475 or something. The weight lifting belt helps considerably as you can tell with my previous partial dead numbers. I brought the weight back down to 385lbs. and determined that I must do 5 reps, all regrips completely paused dead from the floor. The completion of this set is one of my greatest accomplishments in my training history. The last rep I had to rehitch 4 times as I ground it across my thighs.

I did 3 10 second holds per set at 90 degrees on a calf raise plate loaded machine. I used 450lbs. 470lbs. and 600lbs. Worked my calves well but it really stressed my arch muscles. I need to start doing calf work with a barbell because this machine cannot hold the weight that I use forever.

I worked my shins with by trying to stand still while on my heels with 2 85lbs. dumbells in my hands. I did this for 2 sets after I determined walking with the dumbells was just not hard. I'm going to have to work on my support grip endurance to do these without having to drop the dumbells.

I moved onto neck work, oh man is this painfull. Using the very same calf machine I did neck supports in the neutral position working up to 10 second holds with 250lbs. for a few sets. I tried doing some front neck supports with 90lbs. but I couldn't work for as many sets as I wanted to because my entire neck was just shot.

10-28-04

Lower body

I did some simulated stone lifts using bumper weights and my loading pin. I warmed up with 180lbs. and did 5 reps. For the reps I just hoisted the mass on top of my chest without bringing back to the ground each rep. Did 4 at 200lbs., did 3 at 225lbs., did 2 at 245lbs. and I just did some isometric work because I couldn't lap 275lbs. It was just too wide, but that's not to say I couldn't do it if I was stronger. I almost took up the entire loading pin.

I then did past parallel/parallel front squats off the pins. I was doing triples doing 135, 225, 275 and then did a single at 295lbs. After that single I decided to go for 315lbs. it was slow and tough, but I got it.

I then carried out my standing still on my shins exercise, using straps. (I plan on doing grip work tomarrow I didn't want to be used up.) I used 85lbs. dumbells and I did 3 sets.

For calves I just did 3 sets of 10 jumps, all calf powered. These aren't much but they work the calves very hard.

"I love this crazy tragic, sometimes almost magic, awful beautiful life."

-Darryl Worely

Fog, i just heard that song. It's a great one.

Good training too. I wonder how those simulated stone lifts translate to actual stone lifts. What's your best atlas lift?

MEAT

Many guys will tell you the only way to train stones is to lift stones but this simulation I do is actually harder to do that the real stones. I remember my best stone to chest was 225lbs. a while back and I was able to do a 245 stone in competition without much trouble. The stack is a cylinder that does not want to go run between your legs when you lift it so you have to lift it farther away from your body, making it harder. To tell you the truth on a good day I feel ready for a 300lbs. stone.

I put the song line in my signature because it is exactly what my life has turned out to be and for all of what it's worth, I love it.

I had an epiphany today: For stone lifting, you can load a 55 gallon drum with progressively larger amounts of water, straddle it, and lift it straight up. I haven't tried this, but it was a shower theory (thought of it in the shower) and it would be a great GREAT overall strongman exercise as well as a perfect workout for stones. Think about it.

btw do you use tacky when you lift stones? Surely you could use it in the contest?

MEAT

I have some big barrels at home I can fill with water. They are fatter than 55 gallon drums though, not much weight can be handled in this manner, yet. I don't get a chance to do it unless I'm at home though and the barrels usually have chicken feed in them. I don't train with tacky, but I use it in competition. This makes lifting a stone in competition a joy.

Well I went to Lowes tonight and tried out some bolts. Any threaded 5/16" went down but I could not even dent an 8" hex 5/16". I figured I'll just use up my current stock and locate some bolt cutters so I can by some steel lengths or 3/8" aluminum. I bought a 2 inch pipe nipple for a choker and it worked great. I used it on my number 2 and got the handles to touch with my right about 3 times and got within 1/16" with my left. I got about 1/8 away on my PDA 280. I feel this will be the tool I'll use to advance to the PDA 280. Did some inverted closes with the choker on and some sweep work at the very end using my filed number one. I worked pinch with my block weights, just barely breaking the ground with my blob. I did 2 sets of 10 negatives on each hand, one using my 35 blob and the other using my 75 hex blob. I did some extensor work by lifting up on the inside of my old protein powder jar filled with bent metal. I finished with heavy shot rotation.

10-30-04

Abs and Neck

I did 1 set of six hanging overhead leg raises. Upon the second set I could only do 3. I could only do 2 the 3rd set. The remander of the failed sets I just popped out enough to get me 8 reps total. Those last few reps did not result in too much of a raise. I need to work on bringing these up. My abs are strong but their conditioning is poor. Next time I do these I'll only do about 4 for the first set. I moved onto side bends with one set of 5 at 75, one set of 5 at 80, and another set of only 4 at 80. Heck 5 reps is high reps for me in this exercise. I then did some neck work at some very light weight using the most extreme angles of the neck for 3 reps at 10 seconds for 2 sets.

Last night I completely dominated my #2. Not a no set but definately a credit card. Even with the choker, the PDA 280 is a ways off. I'm going to lay off the grippers for a few days because they are bothering my hands a bit. They desirve a break. When I get back on them I'll be working strapholds.

Did some grip work tonight, hope to get some serious body work done tomarrow though. I pulled 345lbs. on my R ring handle. I did some bending, two slim style nail bends and a left hand style bend with a sub 7 some inch length of steel. I got my PDA 280 closed in my choker. I did some pinch work and for the life of me I still could not get my blobs to break far enough off the ground for a witness to notice. I did some finger tip pushup work and ended with heavy shot rotation that almost brought tears to my eyes.

heavy shot rotation that almost brought tears to my eyes.

Did you drop them on your toes? :tongue

I was sitting on the floor doing a multitude of gyrations trying to keep the shot moving because I had it tilted slightly sideways making it much harder. It was unpleasent to watch to say the least.

11-03-04

Lower Body

I wanted to do a 5x4x3x2x1 with the squat. I warmed up for 5 at 135, 5 at 225, then went into the working sets 5 at 315, 4 at 350, 2 at 385 which was tough, and 1 at 400lbs. This squat would have been past by anyone. These were all power stance width squats, no belt, just raw. The power stance sure is a power stance, my glutes and hamstrings were a major part of the power behind these squats, and it felt good to get 400lbs raw. I moved onto calf raises, making sure to get a good stretch at the bottom because that makes it twice as difficult. I did 5 at 325 and only made 3 on the second set and 1 one the last set, which was about as difficult as the 400lbs squat. I ended with one set of 10 arms perpendicular to the bar snatches at 60Kg, it about killed me.

11-04-04

Upper Body

Working up to a max with rope pullups. 5 with no weight, 4 at 25lbs., 3 at 35lbs., 2 at 45, and 1 at 50lbs. Took all the weight off and finished with a set of 11, as many as I could do. Boy the felt light after the extra fifty.

Worked up to a max in dips, 5 at 75lbs., 4 at 100lbs., 2 at 120lbs., and 1 at 130lbs. I dropped back down to 100lbs. almost got 4 reps.

After this I ended on hammer curls with 45lbs. dumbells. Only got 4 reps the first set and could only get 2 reps the next 2 sets so I did some cheating to make the sets harder. Should have used 40lbs.

I wanted to do some overhead supports but my elbow was hurting because I really jammed because of the way I held the bar across my back with the squats. It feels fine now.

11-06-04

Lower Arm

Did plate pinching. I worked up to 65lbs. each hand. I then did a bunch of reps on 2 25s with 2 fingers. I then did so attempts with three fingers, not using the index. I then did some timed holds in preparation for the Gripbash, (oh man I suck at these). I finished with 2 overcrushed with 2 45s with both hands.

I tried wrist curling after this and could only get up to 105lbs. for a few reps. I then did 2 sets with 95lbs. trying to make it to five but I don't think I did. My forearms were pretty darned pumped which compounded with the pinching before it was almost too pumped.

I then did reverse curls on an EZ curl bar, and it felt easy on the wrist joint. I did 5 reps at 75, then 3 at 85, then did 2 more sets of five at 75lbs. I did not make all five reps either set.

Tried some Vbar even though I know I'd do bad. I couldn't get above 200lbs. So in succession I just lifted 175lbs. right and left until I could no longer do it for 2 sets.

I ended with timed holds with 30lbs. on the outer limit loops. One set of 12 seconds, one set of 15, and 3 sets of as long as possible.

11-08-04

Upper body

I'm doing a science research project and I volunteered myself as one of the subjects so before the workout I did a quater squat at 785lbs. and an overhead support of 365lbs. Might have been good for more if I was warm but that was alright.

Thick bar clean and push press. This push press is a little stricter than my normal style, no rebending the knees. I did sets of 5 at 60Kg, 70Kg, and two sets at 80Kg while having to rest to finish the last set. Clean at every rep, and it almost killed me. Wanted to work with 90Kg but I didn't have 5 reps in me. I didn't realize my jerk was so much higher than my pushpress. After those I did thick bar bent over rows. Tried 210lbs. but I couldn't make all 5 reps. So I dropped down to 200lbs. and finished my first set, second set I only got 4 with pausing, third set I got 3 and I had my partner help me cheat some reps. Good, hard work.

At this stage I was beat but I decided to press on. I did chest press curls using 2 10Kg plates with 3 folded towels between them and grunted and cringed my way to 3 sets of 5 reps.

My grip, laterals, back, and chest should be hurting tomarrow.

I did a grip workout last night, nothing really note worthy. My consistancy on my blob is shot, luckily it is just the sweat and not my strength because right after washing my hands it came up.

11-11-04 Stuff in my dorm

One handed ab wheel. I did 3 sets of these, squeasing out all I could on reps, timed holds and double underhand style. Killer on the elbow in shoulder joints, but not in a destructive way. I then did 3 set of 15 kungfu style push ups on top of my 35lbs. hex heads. The specific manner in which I do them is very challenging. I got 17 reps on the last set but I assure you that these are difficult because I can do 75 normal pushups in a minute. For bicep work I did blob curls. I got my hand under my hex heads from off the floor, and then curled them from straight arm flex wrist to flexed arm extended wrist. These are great, I could only do about 3 in a row. My biceps wanted to burst and rip they were so pumped and tight, heck they even still feel bigger than normal 5 hours later. Looking back now I should have done some neck bridging but I didn't think of it.

11-13-04

Lower Body

I wanted to work more on my new dead lifting style. I warmed up at 5 reps with 135, 225, 315, one rep at 365 and did my first working set at 385lbs. for 5. In retrospect I probably should have done this for doubles or triples because the second set I could only do 2 reps. :blink I tried again and only got one rep. :angry: Out of gas after one set, oh well, at least it was a good one. I like the feel of the style better and I definately like the double under grip. (Yes I used straps. :erm ) I moved up to above the knee partials. I got up to a single at 565lbs. I wanted to go back down to some below the knee partials but after 1 at 400lbs. I knew my back was cooked and I should invest my efforts elsewhere. Similiar to my heel supports, in the power rack I tried to stand on my toes, trying to balance perfectly still for 3 sets of as long as possible with 315lbs. It gets pretty wild towards the end where you just can't keep up with the load as your feet shift and all the weight is on one foot. I planned on doing some shin work but the gym closed.

It sux when one wants to do more, but they are totally blown already. The weight just fried ones CNS. Many of times I was ready for a good dead, but once you get started to do it, but then start to go, then you have to stop, stand up and be like, dam, my body is just wrecked. :blink

I hate it when I feel great, I go to the gym and throw on some weights that should be light, but turn out feeling very heavy. :angry: I guess I should do a light day then, arghhhhh. :cry

Great journal man.. :cool