Grip is Fun.

Mitch Jones

4 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

That’s pretty cool nice work , is that a recliner in your gym

Yes lol, Reclining couch. That is my living room with the kitchen in the background. Bathroom and bedroom to the right. Just a small apartment. There is just enough room to deadlift between the couch and tv.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mitch Jones said:

Yes lol, Reclining couch. That is my living room with the kitchen in the background. Bathroom and bedroom to the right. Just a small apartment. There is just enough room to deadlift between the couch and tv.

That's awesome. There is something so cool about the idea of kind of living among your equipment / in the gym.  I remember when we lived back in Johnson City my 'gym' consisted of a Captains of Crush #1 and EYH bands in the kitchen drawer of our 525 sq ft apartment. In a later apartment, it was grippers on the shelf over the washer and dryer and a kettlebell and pull-up bar in the bedroom upstairs. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

That's awesome. There is something so cool about the idea of kind of living among your equipment / in the gym.  I remember when we lived back in Johnson City my 'gym' consisted of a Captains of Crush #1 and EYH bands in the kitchen drawer of our 525 sq ft apartment. In a later apartment, it was grippers on the shelf over the washer and dryer and a kettlebell and pull-up bar in the bedroom upstairs. 

I imagining something a bit like Jujimufu's old apartment gym with a power rack in the dining room...  😮

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Haha yeah, I love his old videos in that apartment. 

Now he essentially has his own commercial gym!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Here is a side shot of the living room and a photo of my junk closet where I keep most of my grip stuff. Half my grip stuff is packed up in a box cause there isnt enough room for it and dont really use the stuff right now. A few years ago I had a squat rack and a lat pull down machine, but no couch or TV. It's slightly more normal now.

20231227_154801.thumb.jpg.6280c1eaed6f34e2124a75360f43a384.jpg

20231227_154909.thumb.jpg.dae9c7a8a32735b357306543d78b7ad6.jpg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Haha yeah, I love his old videos in that apartment. 

Now he essentially has his own commercial gym!

Yeah...Jujimufu's "home gym" (and Brian Shaw's for that matter) look to be larger than most places I've used over the last 20 years.  😂🤣😅

Ok...it might be a tight race if I count the spin studio and aerobic areas at Gold's Gym and Washington Sports Club.  But definitely larger than World Gym Express and any employer provided facility.

I actually miss the free gym at my last job even though it was small.  They had nearly every Hoist Fitness machine made at the time.  And when I went there at 3PM before taking the metro home from work, I'd sometimes have the whole place to myself.

Free weight selection was lame though.  Ex.  For deadlifts I used a curl bar and every 45lb plate they had...  🤪

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Mitch Jones said:

Here is a side shot of the living room and a photo of my junk closet where I keep most of my grip stuff. Half my grip stuff is packed up in a box cause there isnt enough room for it and dont really use the stuff right now. A few years ago I had a squat rack and a lat pull down machine, but no couch or TV. It's slightly more normal now.

Nice set up!

(a) "normal" is in the eye of the beholder

(b) If you "need" to save room, I'd recommend some S hooks on that wire shelving for grippers or attachments (the hooks in my link even have rubber tips so they won't scratch up your stuff)

611FnR1pSpL._AC_SL1080_.thumb.jpg.d6daf2772b4408f6e5cf68146bbe9d90.jpg

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 1

way cool , if I was single that would be my front room. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Nice set up!

(a) "normal" is in the eye of the beholder

(b) If you "need" to save room, I'd recommend some S hooks on that wire shelving for grippers or attachments (the hooks in my link even have rubber tips so they won't scratch up your stuff)

611FnR1pSpL._AC_SL1080_.thumb.jpg.d6daf2772b4408f6e5cf68146bbe9d90.jpg

Good recommendation. I got a pack coming tomorrow!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cannon said:

DUDE you are ready to BEND

I'm taking a little break from bending while i focus on blobs, axle, and saxon. I'll bring it back slowly in a few months. It takes so much out of my hands, i was struggling with blobs that i was able to lift before bending and couldn't do anything with grippers. But i was also bending to frequently, so that may be a big reason.

• Like 2

Getting what you can off the shelves and hanging up is a game changer.

I have a mix of bars with hooks (like you might see against a wall, under a kitchen cabinet), under-shelf mug hooks (also more of a kitchen item), and simple L-shaped "square" hooks screwed into the front on my wood shelves.  🤪

Cable Attachments.png

Grip Attachments.png

• Like 2

P.S.  The shelves came with the house, so I just updated them here and there as "needed."  One of the less obvious (but more critical) improvements was replacing the cheap L brackets/wood screws installed by a prior owner with beefy angle iron brackets/lag bolts that can probably hold 500lb each.  I prefer solidly overbuilt to possibly shoddy.  hahaha

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey Doug , way cool gym

Thanks John!

Levering today.

Nice forearm pump. Took it slow and light since I haven't done this in a while. Used an 8 pound sledge hammer that I notched with a hack saw every inch and marked numbers with a sharpie to make it easier to track. Maybe all this levering will help me out with bending when I reintroduce it back into the program in a few months.

Radial deviation - 3 sets of 10

Right and Left 7" | 6" | 6"

Ulnar deviation - 3 sets of 10

Right and Left 8" | 7" | 7"

Pronation - 3 sets of 10

Right and Left 5" | 6" | 7"

Supination - 3 sets of 10

Right and Left 5" | 6" | 7"

Reverse wrist curls - 3 sets of 10

33lb | 33lb | 33lb

Sledge finger walks - 3 sets

Extensor bands green - 3 sets of 20

• Like 3

Vertical bar today.

My left hand didn't bother me on the FBBC 2.5 Jug like it does with the little big horn but I also kept that hand a little lighter to make sure I didn't over do it.

Jug 2.5"

Warmups - 40lb x10 second hold | 75lb x10 second hold

Right

For reps 100 x3 | 110 x3 | 120 x3 | x3 | x3

Holds 110 x6s | 95 x6s

Left

For reps 100 x3 | 110 x3 | x3 | x3 | x2

Holds 100 x4s | 85 x7s

~

Extensor bands green 3 sets of 20

• Like 4

Failure today.

One of my 2024 goals was to not buy anymore grip stuff and i failed on day one. About 30 minutes ago I bought a Standard Nickle gripper. I'm happy and sad. Oh well, plenty more goals to achieve this year.

Axle work later today!

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Mitch Jones said:

Failure today.

One of my 2024 goals was to not buy anymore grip stuff and i failed on day one. About 30 minutes ago I bought a Standard Nickle gripper. I'm happy and sad. Oh well, plenty more goals to achieve this year.

Axle work later today!

Pretty sure my wife would appreciate me making (AND KEEPING) a resolution to not buy anymore grip stuff.

But the reality is (at some point this year) I want to get a 2-3/8" Andrew's axle like yours.  😇

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Pretty sure my wife would appreciate me making (AND KEEPING) a resolution to not buy anymore grip stuff.

But the reality is (at some point this year) I want to get a 2-3/8" Andrew's axle like yours.  😇

I love the Andrew's axle so far, but I feel like getting chalk to stick to it is going to be a years long challenge. It don't have a mirror finish, but its much more smooth than the Iron Mind axle. Iron Mind axle feels like it will take chalk pretty easy. Either way, Andrew's axle will be the primary bar I train on for at least the first half of this year.

• Like 2

Axle today.

I'm still pulling from blocks as I work on my mobility for the sumo stance that I feel better protects my iffy back. Weights on all lifts went up, very happy and felt like a better workout than last time. I skipped the 2" iron mind axle in favor of doing some thumbless work on the Andrew's axle. I really don't want to overdo the volume, so I'm taking it slow there while keeping the weight as heavy as I can per set with fewer sets.

Andrew's Axle

For reps 127 x3 | 147 x3 | 182 x3 | 187 x3 | x3 | 189 x3

Holds 182 x10s | 184 x10s | 187 x9s

Thumbless holds 147 x10s | 149 x10s | 152 x10s

• Like 2

looks good to me. I am happy to see you failed one of your 2024 goals.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

looks good to me. I am happy to see you failed one of your 2024 goals.

It was only a matter of time🤣

• Haha 1