Grip is Fun.

Mitch Jones

Blobs today.

I feel like its been a while since I've done blobs. I've been too distracted by bending. Good workout today, I'm not too far off from where I was a couple months ago. Should catch up by next workout or two. Time to read up on Jedd's blob e-book again. Every time I do blobs, the extensor and ulnar side of my forearm close to my wrist aches quite a lot. The blob book probably addresses that. Time to study up.

Right

Half 65 x1

Half 75 x6

Half 85 x4 - These 4 slipped out before lockout

Left

Half 65 x1

Half 75 x9 - 6 good, 3 slipped out before lockout

Half 85 x0 - tried a few but could not break it off the floor

Reverse grip bicep curls

37 x12, 47 x10, 57 x8, 67 x4

Blue IM extensor band

3 sets of 20 each hand

Rice Bucket

50 wrist rotations clockwise and counter clockwise each hand. I don't know if this does much, but it feels good.

Various Wrist/finger stretching

• Like 4

Bending today.

I like the shorter bending sessions. Maybe won't make a much progress but I want to save my hands for other things like blobs.

Warmed up on a IM blue nail. I made an attempt on a 5.5" Horrido A2 knowing it was unlikely since I failed a 6" not too long ago, but it was already cut. Following the 5.5" was a 7" A2 in about 48 seconds, then 5 iso hits on a red nail. It looks like it only moved 1 or 2 degrees, but I was worn out by then.

20231119_192622.thumb.jpg.d90c0733bfc22a8881dc6bbd4df40bed.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Blobs today.

Haven't worked out in 2 weeks. Got distracted by other things and been feeling lazy. Today's workout was very encouraging. I focused on the Half 85 the entire workout, no half 75 today at all. Jedd's Blob Warfare videos were great and I used 4 of the 5 types of lifts in those videos. I can't quite lift the half 85 to lockout and back down controlled yet, but that should happen soon. The Half 85 is a next gen and weighs 41.5 pounds.

Right hand - Half 85

Broke the ground 4 times with 2 lifts being 3 and 4 second holds just off the floor. the momentum of lifting it higher would have pulled the blob out of my hand, same for left.

3 assisted lifts with a slow unassisted negative. These felt good in right and left hand.

Left hand - Half 85

Broke the ground 3 times with 2 lifts being 2 and 3 second holds just off the floor.

3 assisted lifts with a slow unassisted negative.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Charles Jones said:

Blobs today.

Haven't worked out in 2 weeks. Got distracted by other things and been feeling lazy. Today's workout was very encouraging. I focused on the Half 85 the entire workout, no half 75 today at all. Jedd's Blob Warfare videos were great and I used 4 of the 5 types of lifts in those videos. I can't quite lift the half 85 to lockout and back down controlled yet, but that should happen soon. The Half 85 is a next gen and weighs 41.5 pounds.

Right hand - Half 85

Broke the ground 4 times with 2 lifts being 3 and 4 second holds just off the floor. the momentum of lifting it higher would have pulled the blob out of my hand, same for left.

3 assisted lifts with a slow unassisted negative. These felt good in right and left hand.

Left hand - Half 85

Broke the ground 3 times with 2 lifts being 2 and 3 second holds just off the floor.

3 assisted lifts with a slow unassisted negative.

Just one thing I noticed a few weeks ago:
When doing assisted, do it from the side of the blob, not the bottom. It won't help you with the weight, only with the "sideways" rotation. But maybe you're already doing it this way. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, matek said:

Just one thing I noticed a few weeks ago:
When doing assisted, do it from the side of the blob, not the bottom. It won't help you with the weight, only with the "sideways" rotation. But maybe you're already doing it this way. 

That's good advice. I've been lifting it with 2 fingers from my off hand on the "circumference" side, not really under, but more pushing with the thought of more fingers, more friction. And I didn't focus on using as little assistance as possible on the way up, but rather the slowest negative possible without assistance and without it slipping out of the hand.

• Like 3

Blobs today.

Pretty much the same workout as last time but more attempts with the slow negatives. My left hand was stronger than last time at first, but tired out quicker this time. Still a good workout today.

With my right hand, I lifted the Half 85 for the first time to full lockout and lowering it with control to the floor. Didn't quite make it up with the left hand. This is exciting, I can start on the half 90 with my right hand now. The half 90 has no paint on it and is very slick. My half 95 might even be easier to lift. Time will tell. Maybe 2 more workouts before the left hand can handle the half 85.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Charles Jones said:

Blobs today.

Pretty much the same workout as last time but more attempts with the slow negatives. My left hand was stronger than last time at first, but tired out quicker this time. Still a good workout today.

With my right hand, I lifted the Half 85 for the first time to full lockout and lowering it with control to the floor. Didn't quite make it up with the left hand. This is exciting, I can start on the half 90 with my right hand now. The half 90 has no paint on it and is very slick. My half 95 might even be easier to lift. Time will tell. Maybe 2 more workouts before the left hand can handle the half 85.

Know you've been working on this for a while, so this is exciting news.  Congrats!

• Thanks 1

Blobs today.

Spent a little time with the half 95 in the right hand, then back down to the 85. Got a full lift with the half 85 in my left hand today but the lockout was iffy. I should get it next week though. Good workout.

Edited by Charles Jones
  • Like 4

NICE ONE

looked easy like you had more in the tank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Two hand Napalm's Nightmare 2-3/8" today.

Thanks to Matt, I was able to get my display name changed a few days ago. I've always went by my middle name, Mitch. I must not have been paying attention when I signed up under Charles. I use Charles to keep all my online accounts consistent and so I don't get mail under 2 different names.

I was reading around the forum the other day and found a quote, if I remember right, from Chris Rice: Too many people spend too much time testing their grip and not enough time developing their grip. I feel like I've been the first part of that quote since I started earlier this year and it shows in my lack of progress in most things. So today I held back and had a really good workout. I've also been changing directions almost every few weeks, so that hasn't helped either lol. In a few weeks I'll start a training block that will consist of blobs, axle, sledge levering, saxon, wrist wrench, and v-bar. If 2 forms of pinch is too much for one week, I'll just drop one or rotate. For Christmas, I bought myself a: 2x5 & 3x4 saxon from Arm Assassin, Apollon's Axle from Iron Mind, and Andrew's Axle from FBBC. All shipped or about to ship.

2H Napalm's Nightmare 2-3/8"

Wrist Curls - 83lb x15 | 105lb x12 | x12 | 130lb x8

For Reps - 155lb x3 | 180lb x3 | 200lb x3 | 210lb x3

Timed Holds - 190lb 9s | 9s | 8s

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Mitch Jones said:

Two hand Napalm's Nightmare 2-3/8" today.

Thanks to Matt, I was able to get my display name changed a few days ago. I've always went by my middle name, Mitch. I must not have been paying attention when I signed up under Charles. I use Charles to keep all my online accounts consistent and so I don't get mail under 2 different names.

I was reading around the forum the other day and found a quote, if I remember right, from Chris Rice: Too many people spend too much time testing their grip and not enough time developing their grip. I feel like I've been the first part of that quote since I started earlier this year and it shows in my lack of progress in most things. So today I held back and had a really good workout. I've also been changing directions almost every few weeks, so that hasn't helped either lol. In a few weeks I'll start a training block that will consist of blobs, axle, sledge levering, saxon, wrist wrench, and v-bar. If 2 forms of pinch is too much for one week, I'll just drop one or rotate. For Christmas, I bought myself a: 2x5 & 3x4 saxon from Arm Assassin, Apollon's Axle from Iron Mind, and Andrew's Axle from FBBC. All shipped or about to ship.

Wrist Curls - 83lb x15 | 105lb x12 | x12 | 130lb x8

For Reps - 155lb x3 | 180lb x3 | 200lb x3 | 210lb x3

Timed Holds - 190lb 9s | 9s | 8s

He is spot on with that quote.  Thats some great gear you bought.  Its hard when there are so many things you wanna go after. Really, an axle, saxon bar and sledgehammer alone will take you very far..  

The best thing i bought for grip is microgainz plates.. Its been a game changer. Just small jumps every week. It adds up after while.

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

The best thing i bought for grip is microgainz plates.. Its been a game changer. Just small jumps every week. It adds up after while.

That's a good idea. Just ordered a pair of 1lb micro gainz plates.

Side note: I ordered some of that Mighty Mitts chalk from Sorinex that Jedd talked about in his video today. I'm curious of the difference in how it feels. I tried liquid chalk for about 2 days and its terrible, rubs right off. I've been using block chalk from Iron Mind and Grip genie chalk before that, didn't notice any difference.

• Like 2

Blobs today.

Today was a great workout. Thumbs felt great once warmed up and felt just as strong as I finished. The only reason I stopped was my thumb webbing felt like it was going to start taking damage very soon and I didn't want to see it split.

Half 85 -

Left and Right hands - 10 of 11 attempts successful. Most lifts were high pulls, some paused at the top and very slow descents if my grip was good enough.

Half 95 -

Right hand - Only 1 attempt. I got it to drag just a little, so its probably a few weeks away breaking the ground. Still a long way to go. I hope to get some air on it by February.

Left hand - Only 1 attempt. Glued to the floor. Not moving for a while.

Just last week I only was able to get 1 good lift each hand on the half 85, so this was very surprising and exciting. Video below was attempt 7 for each hand of the Half85 and the very short drag on the Half95 with the right hand.

• Like 3

nice work

good try on the half 95

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

nice work

good try on the half 95

Ton of progress on the 85.  95 will get there...

• Thanks 1

Napalm's Nightmare 2-3/8" today.

Felt good today and increased the weight of each set a few pounds more than I planned. I hit every rep and timed hold that I wanted, so plenty of room to move everything up a bit heavier next week.

Got my 2x5 and 3x4 saxon bars from Arm Assassins today. Apollon's axle should be here Friday. Still waiting for the Andrew's axle to ship. That thing looks like a beast of a bar from the videos I've seen. Really excited to get to train on it 🙂. And Santa is bringing me a 9-bar barbell holder so I don't have to lay all these things all over the floor.

Wrist Curls - 88lb x15 | 128lb x10 | x10 | 133lb x8

For Reps - 160lb x3 | 185lb x3 | 205lb x3 | 215lb x3

Timed Holds - 200lb 10s | 10s | 10s

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mitch Jones said:

Napalm's Nightmare 2-3/8" today.

Felt good today and increased the weight of each set a few pounds more than I planned. I hit every rep and timed hold that I wanted, so plenty of room to move everything up a bit heavier next week.

Got my 2x5 and 3x4 saxon bars from Arm Assassins today. Apollon's axle should be here Friday. Still waiting for the Andrew's axle to ship. That thing looks like a beast of a bar from the videos I've seen. Really excited to get to train on it 🙂. And Santa is bringing me a 9-bar barbell holder so I don't have to lay all these things all over the floor.

Wrist Curls - 88lb x15 | 128lb x10 | x10 | 133lb x8

For Reps - 160lb x3 | 185lb x3 | 205lb x3 | 215lb x3

Timed Holds - 200lb 10s | 10s | 10s

Great work... I love the Napalms Nightmare.. Covers basically everything. 

"Santa" AKA my parents where supposed to order me a 3x4 Saxon bar from Arm Assassin... But Santa forgot and now they are shut down until the 26th🤣..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Arm Assassin 3x4 Saxon today.

First workout with the Saxon. I tested stance and grip widths and found a sumo stance with a narrow grip feels better. I hated sumo stance with a regular Olympic barbell but I feel my grip is just stronger this way on saxon. Every so often I'll try a new grip and stance, but for now I'll stick with a narrow grip and sumo to be consistent.

Andrew's axle and 2.5" jug shipped yesterday. Axle should be here in time for my Tuesday thick bar day.

I did not test my 1 rep max today but I feel like I could pull the same, if not more than my 1RM on 3" NN.

Conventional with shoulder width grip:

120 x 3 | 130 x 3 | 135 x 2

Sumo with narrow grip:

130 x 3 | 132 x 3 | 135 x 3

Hold for time, sumo with narrow grip:

130 x 10s | 10s | 132 x 10s

20231221_152736.thumb.jpg.90961cd891afbc57c197c740aa91ccbb.jpg

• Like 4

Little Big Horn today.

My left hand didn't want any part of this lift. Middle and ring fingers felt terrible and looked a little puffy after the first set. I remember this happening last time. I may just have to train vertical lifts only in my right hand. Continuing the trend of refusing to max on anything, I stuck with 3 reps per set and increase weight only if I felt I could hit 3 and finishing the workout with timed holds.

Got the Apollon's axle today from Ironmind, an absolutely beautiful bar. Put a base of chalk on it and cant wait to bake it in through lots of use next year.

LBH

Warm up - 53lb holds

Left

For reps 101lb x2 - fingers didn't like it, so stopped here.

Right

For reps 101lb x3 | x3 | x3 | 111lb x3 | x2 | x2

For time 101lb 10s | 10s | 10s

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Mitch Jones said:

Little Big Horn today.

My left hand didn't want any part of this lift. Middle and ring fingers felt terrible and looked a little puffy after the first set. I remember this happening last time. I may just have to train vertical lifts only in my right hand. Continuing the trend of refusing to max on anything, I stuck with 3 reps per set and increase weight only if I felt I could hit 3 and finishing the workout with timed holds.

Got the Apollon's axle today from Ironmind, an absolutely beautiful bar. Put a base of chalk on it and cant wait to bake it in through lots of use next year.

LBH

Warm up - 53lb holds

Left

For reps 101lb x2 - fingers didn't like it, so stopped here.

Right

For reps 101lb x3 | x3 | x3 | 111lb x3 | x2 | x2

For time 101lb 10s | 10s | 10s

That sucks... Any old injuries to the left hand? Maybe its something as simple as technique is different with your left or you just need to build up the tendons and tissues and start real light. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

That sucks... Any old injuries to the left hand? Maybe its something as simple as technique is different with your left or you just need to build up the tendons and tissues and start real light.

This started back in March or April when I started with grippers. Reps were high and several days a week. It doesn't bother me much anymore, but its still shows itself on vertical lifts. Just one of those things I need to work around.

• Like 1

Blobs and Axle today.

I was supposed to do blobs yesterday but I wasn't home until 9pm and I didn't feel up for it. Today my thumbs are still not fully recovered from saxon last Thursday. Soreness feels like its in the MCP joint. I might do blobs and saxon on the same day and just adjust the volume which will give my thumbs a full week to recover rather than 3-4 days.

Today I just warmed up with the half 85 blob and got a few lifts on it before moving to axle.

Axle felt good. Sumo stance and narrow grip feels stronger than conventional. Sumo also feels better on my back which I injured earlier this year. I can stay more upright, but my mobility doesn't really let me get too low, so the crash pads help with that. I'll start incorporating more stretching every few days. I might build 2 smaller platforms with plywood and gym flooring that I can set on either side of my main platform to protect the floor when I'm not using the crash pads.

Andrew's axle 2-3/8" | weighs 37lbs

127 x3 | 147 x3 | 177 x3 | 217 x0 | 197 x1 | 177 x3 | x3

177 felt easy, but 217 was too big of a jump.

Apollon's axle 2" | weighs 34lbs

174 x3 | 224 x3 | x3 | x3

The Apollon's axle felt like it worked my posterior chain more than my grip. Shows how weak my body is lol.

• Like 3

That’s pretty cool nice work , is that a recliner in your gym

• Like 1