Grip is Fun.

Mitch Jones

21 hours ago, Charles Jones said:

Got My next gen half 100 lettered side today. 2 pictures to compare with the 100 that was listed as pre-usa. Looks like a clear difference to me so I'm happy about that. Also got my rubber mat today and finished my mobile platform. They cut it too short, but it will work just fine. Red pill came today too.

I really need to deactivate my ebay account before I go broke. This morning I woke up at 6:20 and my first thought was to check ebay. Therefore, I am now the proud owner of a blobzilla and a legacy half 120 lol. Can't wait to lift those in 4 years...

Yeah...quite clear difference...especially in the pic with the level.  Pre-USA listing seems legit...so that's very cool.

Mobile platform looks cool, too.  Nice carpet/floor saver.

I can relate to the eBay thing.  I have multiple saved searches I check every morning and a few things on a "four year lift plan," as well.  😂🤣😅

• Like 1

Blobs today.

Felt weak today and took a while to get warmed up. Tore my thumb a little bit but not enough to bleed, looks more like a torn blister that developed.

Focused more on the half 65 and added magnetic weights as i went going up to 3.75 pounds added.

On the half 75, i was able to break it off the ground with my right once, but ended up doing a few lifts with a little help from my off hand and a few lifts with assistance from a small resistance band.

I did some 2 handed lifts with the half 95 in an attempt to grow more accustomed to the width of the larger blobs.

• Like 4

Grippers today.

Simple workout but every rep got more difficult especially toward the end. USPS tracking is all wonky on the 3 blobs I have coming. They were all shipped from the same place and time. Tracking shows one is in Florida and should be delivered tomorrow. Others haven't been scanned in a few days. Hopefully they all show up tomorrow. This has happened before, so not too worried.

Right

98rgc 5 sets of 3 reps

Left

96rgc 5 sets of 3 reps

• Like 3

On 7/22/2023 at 1:36 PM, Charles Jones said:

Got my first 2 blobs delivered today. One half 65 and one half 100. The half 65 is York side pre-usa and about 32 pounds. The half 100 is number side and about 52 pounds. The half 100 was sold as a pre-usa but i don't have anything to compare it to, so i can't be 100% sure, either way its big and i can't lift it. Both came well packaged and the 100 was shipped with cut 2x4s in the corners of the box, very sturdy. I heard the post office lady drop the 100 on my sidewalk and cuss, so i went out to her truck to grab the other, she would surprise me if she weighed anymore than 100 pounds. Anyway, below is an unboxing video with attempts and weights. I'll probably do a full pinch workout later today.

Awesome! I’m glad it got there safe and sound! 

• Like 3

Blobs today.

Dead skin from the blister on my right thumb pealed off and the new skin didn't like the workout. So I mostly did assisted lifts using my off hand to lockout and less assisted/unassisted on the way down. Mostly used half 75 and 85. Nothing to much, didn't want my thumb getting worse.

I told myself I'm done buying blobs because it will be so long before I'm able to lift what I have. So then I bought 2 more lol. Now I'm done buying blobs, probably. #LifetimeGoals

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Charles Jones said:

Blobs today.

Dead skin from the blister on my right thumb pealed off and the new skin didn't like the workout. So I mostly did assisted lifts using my off hand to lockout and less assisted/unassisted on the way down. Mostly used half 75 and 85. Nothing to much, didn't want my thumb getting worse.

I told myself I'm done buying blobs because it will be so long before I'm able to lift what I have. So then I bought 2 more lol. Now I'm done buying blobs, probably. #LifetimeGoals

no such thing as too many blobs.

And really you could spend your money on much worse things. They get you stronger and go up in value more or less. its a win win

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

All I could really buy that would be useful would maybe be a half 80 and 90, but i have magnet weights to fill those small gaps. Other than that maybe the Blob50 and Blob Clone, and I hope I don't see those for sale any time soon.

Bending is starting to interest me, but I probably need to wait until I start progressing with what I've invested in now before I start collecting something else. You and the few others who post bending videos once in a while have been fun to watch.

• Like 3

Well... a few months ago I bought a trial bending kit from cannon, just 10 40d nails and some wraps. Tried 3 times to bend one and couldn't. Tonight, I just watched 1 technique video, got up and bent 5 lol. And i'm about worn out. 4 double over, 1 double under. Still don't know what I'm doing but I'll spend some time watching videos and reading articles about it. So much to learn.

20230803_215325.thumb.jpg.df41245a596ccf4348c3aa118a967552.jpg

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Charles Jones said:

Well... a few months ago I bought a trial bending kit from cannon, just 10 40d nails and some wraps. Tried 3 times to bend one and couldn't. Tonight, I just watched 1 technique video, got up and bent 5 lol. And i'm about worn out. 4 double over, 1 double under. Still don't know what I'm doing but I'll spend some time watching videos and reading articles about it. So much to learn.

Great! Good to hear you enjoyed it. Here is a good video from Jan Heller about DO, if you haven't seen it yet. Here  is another one people find useful for DO, because without doubt this is the most technical style. 
Then here is a video about bending tips for DU with Carl Donati. This is my main style, and I think you just have to experiment at what height, etc. you're the strongest. Compared to DO, you might be stronger at this style at the beginning. 
This one is from David Horne about reverse bending. In my opinion, this is the most intuitive style. That being said there are a few things that can make reverse much more efficient. When I showed bending to a guy who does armwrestling, he was actually way stronger this way than DU. 

Then, how to wrap pads from Jan and Delmar

Have fun!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Charles Jones said:

Nice work, if those are similar to the 40ds I have they are slightly challenging. At least the crush was for me at first. 

I still do a little, but i used to get so drained after bending.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

And really you could spend your money on much worse things. They get you stronger and go up in value more or less. its a win win

I'll be quoting Joe the next time my wife says something about the blob and block weight collection downstairs.  🙂👍

• Like 2

Grippers today.

Light gripper workout was scheduled for today, ending week 3 of cadence based training. Deload next week.

Right

98rgc 3 sets of 3 reps

78rgc filed 3 sets of timed holds

Left

96rgc 3 sets of 3 reps

78rgc filed 3 sets of timed holds

Bent the other 5 40d nails I had. 1 DO, 4 reverse. I think bending will be really fun, and if I stick to just readily available bulk stuff from Home Depot or other hardware stores, it won't be as expensive as I thought. Save all the fancy bars for special occasions, at least in the beginning.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Charles Jones said:

All I could really buy that would be useful would maybe be a half 80 and 90, but i have magnet weights to fill those small gaps. Other than that maybe the Blob50 and Blob Clone, and I hope I don't see those for sale any time soon.

Just to recap, you have a 65, 75, 85, 95, 100, and Red Pill?  Very cool collection.

And yeah...I keep a pretty close eye on eBay and can't recall seeing a Blob50 or Blob Clone coming up in recent months.

Maybe if York adds blobs when they bring back Legacy dumbbells we'll have something new to buy...  🤪

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Douglas Carney said:

Just to recap, you have a 65, 75, 85, 95, 100, and Red Pill?

I've added a Legacy 120, 130 blobzilla, 135 Napalm, and 140 Blobfather on top of those lol. Got way ahead of myself, but oh well, I'll have them for when i'm ready to progress.

I removed the eBay app from my phone's home screen to keep it out of sight, out of mind. keeps me from checking as often. Also turned off notifications, because it kept showing me blobs I've previously looked at.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Charles Jones said:

I've added a Legacy 120, 130 blobzilla, 135 Napalm, and 140 Blobfather on top of those lol. Got way ahead of myself, but oh well, I'll have them for when i'm ready to progress.

I removed the eBay app from my phone's home screen to keep it out of sight, out of mind. keeps me from checking as often. Also turned off notifications, because it kept showing me blobs I've previously looked at.

WHOA‼️🤯💥🧠  You're well stocked/prepared!

Personally I stopped at 125 (so far) and no clue when I'll actually lift it.  But there are times I wish my collection went up to 140.

I mean...there's hope.  I can break my Next Gen off the ground without chalk sometimes during warmups.

(But it's not super casual for me yet like Jedd.  I've seen him pick up a Next Gen like it's a six pack of Yuengling.  Zero effort for him.)

Maybe when I finally lift some of my heavier blobs I'll reward myself by reactivating the "blob" notifications.  🤔

• Like 4

On 8/4/2023 at 4:02 PM, Douglas Carney said:

...  there are times I wish my collection went up to 140.  ...

Maybe when I finally lift some of my heavier blobs I'll reward myself by reactivating the "blob" notifications.  🤔

OK...full disclosure, I didn't actually turn off eBay notifications and now I'm trying to resist the urge to buy a 150 I'll never lift.  😂🤣😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

OK...full disclosure, I didn't actually turn off eBay notifications and now I'm trying to resist the urge to buy a 150 I'll never lift.  😂🤣😅

I saw that one. He told me he had one a week ago if I was interested and I said I needed to stop cause me lifting the 140 is already a lifetime away lol. He may also still have a 145.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Charles Jones said:

I saw that one. He told me he had one a week ago if I was interested and I said I needed to stop cause me lifting the 140 is already a lifetime away lol. He may also still have a 145.

It just seems so crazy buying a 150 when I haven't lifted my 125 and don't own anything in between.

But then there's the "bird in hand" aspect of buying rare things when they're available if they support a long-term goal.

<sigh>  I should really have turned off notifications and not put myself in this situation...  hahaha

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

It just seems so crazy buying a 150 when I haven't lifted my 125 and don't own anything in between.

Just realized that this is really a decision about spending $1,750 total if I have to go back and buy 130 - 145 to work up to the 150.  😳

AND all of that is built on the assumption I can eventually lift the 125 that is currently glued to my basement floor...

That's what makes it so crazy  🤪

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Just realized that this is really a decision about spending $1,750 total if I have to go back and buy 130 - 145 to work up to the 150.  😳

AND all of that is built on the assumption I can eventually lift the 125 that is currently glued to my basement floor...

That's what makes it so crazy  🤪

I decided right away I would not buy a legacy 100 - 115 or a 125. The legacy 100 is easier than a fatman from what I've read and the 110 is roughly the same weight as a fatman. That alone saved me quite a bit of money.

My 120 is pretty rough but 130 is slick, so maybe a 125 would be helpful, but not something i'll buy until I can lift the 120 and feel I need it.

I probably should have stopped buying at the 130. 😬

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Charles Jones said:

I decided right away I would not buy a legacy 100 - 115 or a 125. The legacy 100 is easier than a fatman from what I've read and the 110 is roughly the same weight as a fatman. That alone saved me quite a bit of money.

My Legacy 110 actually weighs one pound less than my Fat Man!  Hindsight 20/20 I probably didn't "need" it and could have perhaps skipped to 115 or 120.  🤔

But I did intentionally go back and buy a Legacy 115 with the thought I could face pick it--not so much for "normal" blob work.  For "normal" blob work the long-term goals are Legacy 125 and Red Pill.

Realistically I have plenty on my plate with all the different feat goals I have, as well as training for contested lifts.  I don't want to distract from Heavy Hands prep (or Maryland's Strongest Hands in April 2024).  But blobs/block weights are obviously my favorite aspect of grip...  😊

• Like 3

Gripper deload today.

4 easy holds for time with a filed 78rgc each hand.

Decided to buy a bending kit from cannon. 40d nails are now pretty easy. Timber ties are challenging but doable. Kink is the only hard part for me on these. The 60d nail feels utterly impossible right now. I was ready to throw up after spending some time with one and didn't even budge the thing. Developed some raw spots on my hands, but not too bad.

Yesterday I brought out the Napalm's Nightmare with 2 3/8" handles and worked up to a personal best of 241.5lb, a 22lb jump from about 6 weeks ago.

Hands and wrists are pretty beat up. They don't feel injured, just really beat up. Taking up blobs and dabbling in bending so close together just gave me some new stresses to adjust to. I'll take a few complete rest days from grip specific training. I'll do blobs Friday or Saturday, then back to the normal routine.

• Like 4

Blobs today, mostly.

Took a solid 3 days rest from grip as planned. Felt weak for the first few lifts but warmed up quick. I haven't been able to lift the half 75 to lockout since I unboxed it almost 2 weeks ago, but today it felt pretty easy in my right hand. I broke the half 85 off the ground about 6 or 8 inches which surprised me. I was able to (poorly) lever am 8 pound sledgehammer today for the first time. I bought a loadable dumbbell with a 2 3/8" handle from Arm Assassins and got 98.55 locked out on both hands. I didn't spend much time with this tonight as i was already getting tired. Very happy with the progress today.

Blobs

Right

Half 75 - 8 attempts. 1 fail, 7 locked out.

Half 85 - 3 attempts. 2 fail, 1 broke the ground.

Left

Half 75 - 8 attempts. 3 fail, 1 locked out, 4 broke the ground.

Half 85 - 3 attempts. 3 fail.

Video of an easy 75, the 85 breaking off the floor, my sledge lever with terrible form, and loadable dumbbell lifts:

• Like 2

Nice!  Sounds like great progress!

• Like 1

I haven't dead lift heavy in about 18 months and back then my max was 295. Its not something I really care about but since grip is basically pulling from the floor, I need to make sure the rest of my body wont start holding back my grip training in the future. Even though I don't care much about maxing on DL, I was really excited about hitting the 315 milestone today and double overhand too. 18 months ago i needed straps to lift 275+.

I'll likely start incorporating dead lifts in my training once a week, maybe sets of 3 to 5 reps with straps to save my grip for more fun things.

I don't know why I look purple in the video, all the lights were on as they normally are, lol.

• Like 4