Bending+Training Log

Londonjoseph

36 minutes ago, Stephen Ruby said:

Congratulations on the huge achievement. I am also glad to see that what I consider a standard technique of double overhand is still acceptable. David Wigren was making it seem based on the new rules they would only allow bends that looked like nothing I have ever seen before. 

Absolutely incredible overall gains in the last 2 years also. Starting at 150 lbs and now repping out 500 lbs on the deadlift is insane. I think many people who start smaller don't think that type of gains are possible but you have clearly put in some serious work and goes to show that where you begin is no indicator of where you will end. 

Thank you for the kind words. I would like to mention though that David's take on the rules is a true interpretation of it. I didn't expect them to allow double overhand based on the wording. 

• Like 1

Here is me when I was 150lbs (I wrestled for 5 years but did 0 weight training) and here is me at 210 (more current).

Screenshot_20220829-174659.png

Screenshot_20230113-192027.png

Edited by Londonjoseph
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

6" P edgin and 5/16"x7" drill rod. 

The edgin was done in IMP's+Leathers. Took 2 tries, I am pretty groggy today. I was extremely happy with the 5/16"x7" drill rod, I did then in ironmind pads touching, but it took about 3 minutes.

Snapchat-873255024.jpg

• Like 4

Been having issues with Randall even after being certified on the red nail. 

He asked me for a photo of myself, and I sent the picture of myself (the shirtless recent one from April 1st posted above) to him. He told me flat out that the photo I sent doesn't look like me. He chose this goofy looking still of me for the cert article. 

Then he listed my name on the list under 2022. This bend was done in 2023.

Then he sent me the wrong shirt size. He confirmed with me I needed an XL, but sent a large. The shipping label says XL. He sent me the correct size, but then DEMANDED I send the large back. 

after all this, I think I'm keeping both shirts. 

Screenshot_20230413-191700.png

Screenshot_20230413-191747-941.png

Screenshot_20230413-184530.png

Edited by Londonjoseph
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

Good, keep both. You should record yourself bending a nail in the size L shirt and send it to him.

• Haha 3

that's a good idea 

Just a JH grade 8 snap. Done in 3 minutes. Haven't snapped in over a year, and I know my technique is a bit sub par. It still amazes me David Horne could do one in 19 seconds!!!

Snapchat-478916814.jpg

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Londonjoseph said:

Just a JH grade 8 snap. Done in 3 minutes. Haven't snapped in over a year, and I know my technique is a bit sub par. It still amazes me David Horne could do one in 19 seconds!!!

Snapchat-478916814.jpg

Nice work. I bet you could get that time down really quick yourself if you trained for it. You have the strength.

David Horne is just an absolute animal. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Nice work. I bet you could get that time down really quick yourself if you trained for it. You have the strength.

David Horne is just an absolute animal. 

I'm gonna try snapping more to get some general cardio in tbh. I like the *shirts* Randall sent me a lot! 

IMG_20230417_175059249_HDR.jpg

• Like 5

Way cool

• Like 1

Just simple bends yesterday. 8x grade 5 1/4"x6" reverse both hands. IMP's touching no rubber bands. I've been doing more and more armwrestling lifts and plan to do some today. I'll give a more in-depth post about those workouts. This is the setup I use for side pressure.

Screenshot_20230420-125352.png

• Like 3

Nice Arm wrestling set up. Either that or BJJ is what i'm going to get into next. One thing at a time though, never good to have too many irons in the fire.

Do you do any warming up before those bends?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Nice Arm wrestling set up. Either that or BJJ is what i'm going to get into next. One thing at a time though, never good to have too many irons in the fire.

Do you do any warming up before those bends?

Thank you. I only do a 60D or 2 as a warmup for reverse. I have the table at my friend Ira's house (the gentleman I posted who did the A2 barehanded in a fishhook in another thread). He owns the truck I work on so I park there. I have been bugging him to train with me lately and get some footage because he is a beast. He is busy trying to enjoy life so I cannot blame him. 

My armwrestling training looks like this:

10x3

Strict curl, side pressure, back pressure, riser lift off the floor, pronation curl. 

I'm new to armwrestling lifts, so I'm taking it pretty easy. Here is a side pressure lift from today:

• Like 2

3/8"x7" HRS in single leathers. Took 2 minutes, was really happy with how far I crushed it down, it hurt my hands a bit lol. 

Snapchat-431813238.jpg

• Like 3

I find it interesting how HRS varies. 

Here is one from DHWOG that is also 7", but 10mm instead of 3/8". The difference in the arcs is neat 

Snapchat-1255401388.jpg

• Like 4

nice work

• Like 1

Sorry for the lack of updates.

Went to an armwrestling tournament 8 days ago. Unexpectedly had the day off, and I decided to compete even though I trained hard the day before. 

It was a round robin event, and the only weight classes they were contesting that day was 154, 176, and 242+. I weighed in at 220, and competed left hand. I got 4 solid wins, and I can't recall how many losses, I don't have all the footage. Some of my wins were against some ranked pullers from my state, which made me happy. 

This past week I finished off my training with some inch trainer lifts. I was able to manage 145lbs with a regular grip, and 155 thumb less. I also did some grade 5 reverse bends with 1/3rd cordura wraps. I am resting heavily this week, I have the Michigan bending and breaking championship coming up, so I have to take it easy.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Londonjoseph said:

Sorry for the lack of updates.

Went to an armwrestling tournament 8 days ago. Unexpectedly had the day off, and I decided to compete even though I trained hard the day before. 

It was a round robin event, and the only weight classes they were contesting that day was 154, 176, and 242+. I weighed in at 220, and competed left hand. I got 4 solid wins, and I can't recall how many losses, I don't have all the footage. Some of my wins were against some ranked pullers from my state, which made me happy. 

This past week I finished off my training with some inch trainer lifts. I was able to manage 145lbs with a regular grip, and 155 thumb less. I also did some grade 5 reverse bends with 1/3rd cordura wraps. I am resting heavily this week, I have the Michigan bending and breaking championship coming up, so I have to take it easy.

Nice job on the wins!

Good luck this weekend... I was so excited to attend, but what started out as a nice winter/spring job has turned into a nightmare.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Nice job on the wins!

Good luck this weekend... I was so excited to attend, but what started out as a nice winter/spring job has turned into a nightmare.

Thank you! Bummed you can't go, it's gonna be a blast.

Today I did an impromptu 5.5" triangle grade 5 in IMP's touching reverse no rubber bands. Got 50°

Snapchat-1519549849.jpg

Snapchat-848699542.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Londonjoseph said:

Thank you! Bummed you can't go, it's gonna be a blast.

Today I did an impromptu 5.5" triangle grade 5 in IMP's touching reverse no rubber bands. Got 50°

Snapchat-1519549849.jpg

Snapchat-848699542.jpg

Nice work.

Yeah me too.. I really was hoping to go but I wouldn't even enjoy myself..  Next year, though and by then I should be a decent bender. One thing i've learned is that when you own a business theres never a good time to go away... You just gotta say screw it and do it. 

• Like 1

111lbsx10 strict curl

171lbsx1 cheat curl

Blood flow exercises for wrists and forearms. 

Ate 1.5lbs of chicken and then some rice

Took a 1.5 hour nap. As I was falling asleep I spent roughly 20 minutes visualizing the connective tissue in my hands, forearms, and entire body healing. I think this makes a huge difference, as whacky as it sounds. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Londonjoseph said:

111lbsx10 strict curl

171lbsx1 cheat curl

Blood flow exercises for wrists and forearms. 

Ate 1.5lbs of chicken and then some rice

Took a 1.5 hour nap. As I was falling asleep I spent roughly 20 minutes visualizing the connective tissue in my hands, forearms, and entire body healing. I think this makes a huge difference, as whacky as it sounds. 

Nice I had chicken and rice too. Except it was beer not rice.

I don't think that sounds whacky at all. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Londonjoseph said:

As I was falling asleep I spent roughly 20 minutes visualizing the connective tissue in my hands, forearms, and entire body healing. I think this makes a huge difference, as whacky as it sounds. 

It may sound whacky to some, but there's actually a lot of science and/or experiments backing such impact of the mind, spoken words, etc on the body. There is much more there than most understand. Wim Hof and The Rice Experiment provide a couple of vague examples, and much more could be provided.

• Like 2

Michigan Bending and Breaking Championship V. 

1st place Unbraced

3rd place overall 

I will write a detailed report soon, hands are pretty messed up and typing is already difficult enough. 

Double overhand 221kg DHWOG bar DHWOG pads touching-

Snapchat-325489109.jpg

• Like 5

Congrats... Thats a crazy bend right there.

• Like 1