NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

started doing some basic gripping exercises--i honestly never thought fore arm training could could be such fun-ribs and back muscles ached the next day- i can see how this can translate in to strengthening the whole body-i posted on my usual site (www.musclechat.co.uk)about grip training and the response unsurprisingly has been luke warm,but i will continue to try and spread the word :bow

We have a lot of fun, and grip work is very addicting. Welcome!

Hi everybody, I am (obviously) thikskinn. I am interested in grip strength for 2 main reasons: 1) I am in a sort of MMA fight club run by my friends and I; and 2) I would really like to learn how to do the circus strongman feats of strength. I am btwn. 5'6" and 5'7" and weigh around 175 lbs. I grew up on a tobacco farm here in Kentucky so I have a pretty good grip strength already, and I used to work in a steel processing factory running a 600-ton, or 800-ton blanking press where we stacked oddly shaped pieces of steel. But back to my goals, I would really appreciate any help that anyone could give me on these strongman acts. I am most interested in driving the nail with my fist, phone book ripping, and metal bending. :help Thanks in advance-thikskinn

Hi everybody. My name is Wes and I am 16. I am 6'5 180lbs. I can currently close the Ironmind #1 for 20 reps, and the #2 for about 3 as well as lever a 6 lb. hammer with a 5lb plate. My best bend to date was a 4 inch long 1/4 inch thick bolt (about 35 degrees), but I am hoping to improve. Some of my short-term goals are to become a certified COC on the #3 before I am 17, and the #4 before I'm 18 as well as bending a 60d nail.

Edited by Wes

Hi everybody. My name is Wes and I am 16.  I am 6'5 180lbs. I can currently close the Ironmind #1 for 20 reps, and the #2 for about 3 as well as lever a 6 lb. hammer with a 5lb plate. My best bend to date was a 4 inch long 1/4 inch thick bolt (about 35 degrees), but I am hoping to improve. Some of my short-term goals are to become a certified COC on the #3 before I am 17, and the #4 before I'm 18 as well as bending a 60d nail.

UPDATE:

I just tried to finish the bend of the 4 in long 1/4 inch bolt and broke it. :happy It wasn't a loud snap, it just went past a "V" and separated.

Hello everyone, my name is Taran and I am a 21 yr old canadian university student. I am 5'11" and about 195lbs (bit of extra padding haha). I am fairly new to strength training in general, and extremely new to hand strength. I have always had pretty weak hands so the idea of strengthening them is quite appealing. I got some captain of crush grippers 3 weeks ago and couldn't close the trainer even once. Today i closed the trainer ten times, so im pretty happy with my progress. As far as overall goals the whole world of the gripmaster is quite appealing to me so i want to develope all forms of hand strength. I have recently started judo though, so combat applications are also of interest.

Hi everyone, I'm Travis, 22 yr. old college student. I have recently got into grip training and strongman, and I'm loving it. I have been working out with Clay Edgin for a few weeks and really appreciating his guidance.

Hello gentleman. My name is Joshua. I started training my grip a little while ago and am looking to increase it even more. I stand 6' 5'' and weigh approximately 150 pounds.

Hello everybody! My name is Sybo Offenga and I'm 23 years old. I live in Franeker, a little town in The Netherlands. From monday till friday I work as a sport/fitness instructor in a gym called: Sportscentre Shape. One big and strong guy who trains at SHAPE told me the existence of this site. His name is: Theo Burggraaff, who some of you may know already. He sometimes takes his grippers to the gym and let me try to close them. I must say it's very addictive to try and close tougher grippers. I've tried for about 4 times now and I closed level 1 and level 2. I've also tried some bending but I've failed the 3 times that I've tried. So I have to practice a little more perhaps. I think this is a nice way to see how well you are doing on the gripping and bending comparing to others who have the same passion. Well that's it for now!

See you around here!

Greetz CyberSybo

Hi Sybo,

yes we know Theo! :D

Awesome job on closing the #2 in such a short time btw. :bow

:D welcome to the board you will find it a cornucopia of information friendliness and camaraderie,enjoy!

Hello all, name same as my forum name, Gary W. Graley, also known round about as G2.

I'll be 52 years young come Jan 31st 2006.

Height, 5' 6 1/2"

Weight, 190 heading down to the 170+ range

My workout right now, I have a CoC Trainer that I recently picked up, need to get the manual but will try to glean from this forum some helpful tips as I had some problems using these before, pulled something in my left elbow that I thought killed me, sold off the Trainer and #1 gripper but now, months later, I have the urge to get back into gripping again.

My daily work is paper pushing and phone answering, major phone answering so desk bound a lot, but I do take off at lunch time to run errands using my bicycle, so getting in around 9 miles between stops at the bank, post office and dvd rental, so it's a great way to get out and work off some weight.

Also during the day I go to a set of chairs I have out back, where no one is around, and set at a 45 degree angle, I let my legs hang and grip the top of the chair and drop down between the chairs to do 40 reps of dips, really works the chest and triceps, also tensing the stomach muscles during this too.

And lately found a hand rail on a plat form that I can do some chinups, now at my weight I can't do a lot of pullups, but what I do is similar to the dips, I step up on a railing, so my legs reduce the total weight of what I'm pulling up so I can get a set of 25 modified pullups, but it really helps loosen up the day.

And now with the Trainer gripper I want to add some grip training as well.

Thanks for this board, looks good, some of you guys have amazing strength from some of the images I've seen so far! and some of the ladies too !

:calm

G2

Edited by Gary W. Graley

HI! Thanks for having me on board. My name is Darin, I'm 174 lbs, 6'0" and 26 years old. I recently started powerlifting with a couple guys that are also members of Grip Board. So a special hello to my buds 'carusom1' and 'sixlitre' :bow

With my aspiration to be stronger, many different facets have been introduced to me in the last month and a half. Although I haven't yet invested in grip and bending toys, I am being sucked into the addiction. I'm not able to close a number two yet, but I'm getting close. My goal is to be closing it consistently by X-mas. I can also grip and hold an 85# dumbbell--working on the 90#er and other various feats. From the bending aspect of my newly found love, I've really only been bending timber ties (spikes) until they break, but that's subject to change very soon.

You'll be hearing from me!

~Darin

Correction--"Just another [newbtard]"

I missed the newbie post, sorry:(

Darin-

welcome to the board. I'm glad you have found love for the grip sport. Now I have another addict to relate to.

just to let you guys know, Darin came in with very little weight training and grip experience and is already doing awesome. The 85 and 90 lb. dumbell he is referring to is the blob; that isn't cut off (because we use the gyms).

Welcome aboard, Darin! I look forward to hearing from you and watching your progress.

Hello

I posted once before I saw this but here goes:

My name is Dave, I'm from Brooklyn, NY, I'm 27, and I'm just getting into grip strength, along with powerlifting, olympic lifts, and strongman stuff. The goal is just general strength, I used to box and grapple, and on/off lift weights, but nothing too serious. I'm kicking myself for not discovering this stuff sooner, but what can you do. I've got a COC trainer to start, along with a bunch of other homemade grip tools (I really like making homemade stuff). Looking forward to getting some good advice off this board, and getting much more focused in my training.

Hello everyone,

My name is Keegan. I am 5' 9" 155 lbs. I am new to this forum (found a link to it on Bestskills.com). I have been training since I was 18. I first was interested in bodybuilding, but soon realized that I was more interested in functionality than in aesthetic appeal. I have since switched to gymnastics types of exercises to build raw strength.

I became interested in grip training when I started training with Charlie Lysak in S.E.N.T.O a martial art he and his brother Walt developed. Shihan Charlie was the first person to introduce me to the COC grippers. He is one of the original Captains of Crush (can close the #3 100 consecutive times and the #2 with just his pointer and middle fingers and thumb). Needless to say he has inspired me as to what is possible.

I can close the #1 10 times with my right hand and 5 with my left. I just bought the #2 and it is remarkably more difficult than the #1. I can get it a little past parrallel with my right hand and not even to parrallel with my left.

Short term grip goals include: Close the #2 with both hands. That's pretty much it, I am really only worried about crushing grip at the moment.

Long term grip goals: close the #3.

Glad to be here.

Good training,

Maverik

Hi, my name is Jared. I'm 6'0 #170. I've been lifting weights for a year or so, and doing gripwork a few months. It just seemed fun, and now it's an addiction. I can pinch 2x35, close a #2 with my right, can almost close it with the left. I'd like to get some blobs; right now my block weights are hex dumbbells standing on their side, I can pull up a #45 with my rightie and a #40 with the lesser hand.. I'd like to get a rolling thunder and one of those pinch grip blocks. Does anyone have experience with making their own blob-trainers?

Hello My name is Paul. I am an athlete. I play lacrosse and I wrestle. I have been working out since 3/27/05(m/d/y) i started doing grip work in june with plate pinches and wrist curls. I ordered grippers yesterday(HG 100-300 summer special deal).

i am 6' 189 and i am 14

I've come here to learn about how to use my grippers correctly

As of now i want a low volume workout that can be done in 10-20 mins

And another low volume workout i can do inseason that will not leave my forearms to sore

Edited by bigDman

Hello to all! My name is John, and i live in Greece (Europe), iam 23 years old and weight 93 kg and 1.89 meters tall. I was interested in strength and size from a kid.I remember that i used to admire anyone that had muscular size and strength, and back then i wanted one day to be like them..The years passed and at the age of 20 i started bodybuilding having in mind that in time i will turn into a strength freak....(i discovered how wrong i was after one year of doing bodybuilding...) Then i accidentaly found information on other TRUE strength sports like powerlifting, strongman and especially the gripping sport. As the time passed i accidentaly found information on powerlifting and strongman, but when i read and learned the existence of the Gripmasters i was amazed because i found what i was looking for.... I also forgot to mention an incident...after doing one and a half and a bit more of consistent and persistant bodybuilding, i was feeling to be a strong man...(i benched good, curled enough could hold a good weight and generally i could handle much weight at least for my opinion) one day i saw by accident a friend of mine that i hadn't saw for "ages"...He was 1.70 skinny type and for sure not strong...In comparison to him i was a very stronger man...until we had a handshake....I literally couldn't even put a little pressure to his hand, when at the same time he put a good amount of pressure and i can say that my hand was in a situation that it was crying out loud: i am a dead fish...I mean that then i could curl 45 kg for 3 times and he couldn't curl not the half of that but if he wanted he could have total control over my arm just by his lower arm.......

It all then fall down...Trying so much at the gym and i could handle the hands of a short skinny guy (that worked from a kid in contruction areas...) After that it was that i found about how to really train to strengthen the weakest link of the body.

So for one year now and less i "try" to train my lower arms as best as possible.

In the time being i am extremely close to the #2 CoC with each hand for one time

i can pinch for 2 secs 20 kg's and can curl for 4 times with each hand a 25 lbs plate. I found lately this site and i belive that here i can find everything about grip training. My very long terms are becoming a Gripmaster, everything from tearing phonebooks, and card decks to bending steel.or crushing a potato or an apple.Very long terms but i will do it.

What i would like to know for now is a good workout program for byulding very good strength base for the lower arms. I train my lower arms three time per week.i have read many many sites about exercises and when to do them but i feel a little, not to say very much confused.What i would like is an analytical routine to train my lower arms.(crushing , supporting pinching, wrist extensors) when, how many and how long.It would be a tremendous help for me.I like the gripping sport like nothing else and i am willing to give it all.I also like very very much the crushing portion of the lower arms...Please help!!!

Thank you for reading and i believe i din't annoyed you much with this huuuuuge paragrph!!!

Hello everyone, I'm new to the gripboard!!

I'm 15, 6'2, 170 lbs and came to read up on how to improve my grip(of course).

I am very much into Powerlifting and all around getting stronger.

HELLO EVERYONE! newby spasm :D

Edited by oso