NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

Hello,

My name is Charles and I live in Montana. I've lifted weights for 15 years and only recently have I targeted my grip strength specifically.

I own ironmind's 1-3 grippers. I dont plan on closing the #3 over night, but it is a goal that I'm willing to stick with. I'm doing a lot of reading on the board right now, I want to have a good foundation of training information.

Overall, I'm glad I found the site!

My name is Ryan I have been a member for a while, but haven't been very active. I'm 16 5' 11 170lbs. I am interested in grip training for wrestling and as a hobby. I'm trying to find a program that works with a busy schedule. With wrestling season starting plus lifting, school, and a job its hard to find time to train grip. I have learned a lot from reading here and the board has fueled my interest in hand strength.

MY PR:

1 cm from closing the #2.

Bench: 260 lb

Squat: 340 lb

Clean: 210lb

Deadlift: 385 lb

Hey all - Jon from chucktown. I'm 6'4", 290lbs and looking to improve from a normal weightlifting routine and step up into amature strong man competitions.

I've just started grip training (got the Heavy Grips set, can close the 250 once) and was referred here by some posters on bullshido for training tips and advice.

My name is Perry. I'm finding myself moving away from weightlifting as I get older (40) and lately have been doing more calisthenics and hiking. More recently, I have discovered grip training and am giving it a go.

Hey folks,

my name is Erik and I'm from the Phoenix AZ area. Found this forum through posts on the Usual Suspect Network. I'm 32, 6' 290 and my interest in grip is related primarily to mixed martial arts including knife and gun work. Other than occasionally using wrist and ankle weights while practicing striking, I really don't work out with weights to get strength increases as bodyweight is good enough for my purposes.

Am working for reps on the #1 iron mind gripper and am focusing on bending 1/4" x 6" CRS rod. Fun stuff.

cheers

Edited by krept

Hello, My name is Jim, live in Alaska, and I'm basically lurking the internet visiting powerlifting-type sites to keep myself motivated. On and off for years I've been into powerlifting & running (as contradictory as those are), but last year after only lifting sporadically for some time, I started to get elbow tendonitis. Guy I know suggested some reverse wrist curls, some other grip exercises, and the Ironmind and DieselCrew websites. Since then I've been obsessed with all the many different exercises & toys, and for sure the tendonitis has gone away! I'm blown away by many of the feats done by seemingly "normal" guys here & at DieselCrew. I've been blowing money ordering stuff mainly from Ironmind, but it's keeping me motivated & I'm consistent again. My favorite grip toys at present are the thick bar (Axle from Ironmind), the Telegraph Key, the Twist-Yo'-Wrist roller, and of course the grippers. I worked up to a Hub Pinch of a 45 lb O-plate awhile back but haven't been able to do it again since. Pinch gripping kicks ass.

Howdy,

I'm a pre-med student in Boston and ACE certified personal trainer who started to get into grip work a few months ago and it has been growing on me steadily. I bought the CoC #1 and #2 this summer and closed the #1 on the first shot. It took a couple days of practice to close the #2, but I didn't even wait to close it to order the #3 and #4. Man those things are hard. I hope to get the #3 closed soon but don't have a specific time frame, and I also want to lift the Inch. I haven't splurged on an Inch dumbbell, but nowadays most of my grip workout is in the form of fat bar work and sledgehammer work. I got a Rolling Thunder recently and have been playing with that.

After reading Bender's web page I decided to add block lifts to my workouts and plan to go to Home Depot and get some things to bend!

I'm psyched to be on the GB for inspiration, training ideas, and to discuss very grip-specific training issues.

Ht: 5'11"

Wt: 215 lbs

Rolling Thunder 175 lbs and growing fast

CoC #3 within parallel & shrinking gradually

Hi, im new and i can close the #1, 3 times :bow:mosher my goal is to been able to close #3. :rock

5´7 - 172lbs from Venezuela i waited 3 months for my CoC grippers to arrive so i wanna crush those bastards :flame

Edited by Zizou

hi guys im a boxer and jus lookin 4 tips and advice and hope to help ppl anyways cya around

You've come to the right place. You'll be hard pressed to come up with a grip question that stumps the masses here. Lots of strong, knowledgeable people on this board.

Hello everyone,

I registered recently so here is a short introduction of myself and my interests in grip training.

I´m 27 years old non-commissioned officer in the Finnish Air Force. My training goals have always been functional strength and agility. I´ve been lifting weights on and of for a decade and added grip strength excercises in my workout one year ago. My grip tools are mostly self-made and one reason in joining this site is to get new ideas on equipment.

I´m 183 cm (6') tall and weight about 83 kg (183 lbs).

A few goals for 2006:

- mastering one arm pull-up

- closing CoC #3 - I´m about 1 cm (less than ½") away

- learning basic gymnastic skills on rings and high bar

tumppi

Hi - my name is Jeff Hodgkinson. I live in Mesa, Az just outside of Phoenix. I am 50 years old, 6'5" tall and weigh ~380lbs. I have been training for arm wrestling about a year and am focusing on grip strength as part of my new program. I have been weightlifting since 13 year old and have benched 605 at my peak. I've set up my garage for forearm and hand strength training and am always looking for additional equipment if I don't have it so feel free to write my at jghmesa@yahoo.com if your looking to sell items. I enjoyed the 'diesel' website - interesting things they are doing. Look forward to corresponding with anyone on equipment, training tips and routines, etc.

Hi - my name is Jeff Hodgkinson.  I live in Mesa, Az just outside of Phoenix.  I am 50 years old, 6'5" tall and weigh ~380lbs.  I have been training for arm wrestling about a year and am focusing on grip strength as part of my new program.  I have been weightlifting since 13 year old and have benched 605 at my peak.  I've set up my garage for forearm and hand strength training and am always looking for additional equipment if I don't have it so feel free to write my at jghmesa@yahoo.com if your looking to sell items.  I enjoyed the 'diesel' website - interesting things they are doing.  Look forward to corresponding with anyone on equipment, training tips and routines, etc.

Hello,

My name is Lenny. I am 6'8" 265lbs lean. I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (couple of years, I am good), Muay Thai (sometimes), and Submission Wrestling. Jiu Jitsu is alot of fun. I have been Seriously weightlifting since I was 22. I am 29 now.

My highest weight was 300lbs lean.

My elbows suck... anytime I bend my arms and use strength, they flame up. So because of that I do strength training that does not bend my arms. If anyone has suggestions to help out elbow pain I am all ears.

my strongest deadlift was 585lbs. My dead is currently around the 500 mark.. sigh :erm

I also workout with strands quite often, and love them. if you do not know what strands are, they are similar to the old steel spring chest expander. I use bulk surgical tubing. It is awesome, you work your body in a totally different way. I would be happy to reccomend sites to visit and article about em.

I can close the Captains of Crush #2 in both hands. Hopefully I will get #3 for christmas.

My strength goals is just to get very strong, and bigger again.

I live near Chicago.

thanks for taking the time to read this.

-Lenny

Edited by Lenny

Tjena grabbar!

Introduction as short and simple as posible. Name; David Wigren. 188cm, 86kg. Swedish olympic weightlifter.

Started lifting serious about 6 months ago, and with that followed a passion for grip strenght.

So far the experience has been greatly humbling, and I have not achieved the same measurements of grip strenght as some of you guys. But I hope that this board and the people in it can keep me motivated to squeze the hell out of those darn grippers.

At the moment I'm still working on the COC#2. Hope to get it shut within 2005

Hello and welcome to the gripboard. You will find all the grip info you need to grow super strong hands.

Hello, 

My name is Lenny.  I am 6'8" 265lbs lean.  I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (couple of years, I am good), Muay Thai (sometimes), and Submission Wrestling.  Jiu Jitsu is alot of fun.  I have been Seriously weightlifting since I was 22.  I am 29 now. 

My elbows suck... anytime I bend my arms and use strength, they flame up.  So because of that I do strength training that does not bend my arms.  If anyone has suggestions to help out elbow pain I am all ears.

my strongest deadlift was 585lbs.  My dead is currently around the 500 mark.. sigh :erm

I also workout with strands quite often, and love them.  if you do not know what strands are, they are similar to the old steel spring chest expander.  I use bulk surgical tubing.  It is awesome, you work your body in a totally different way.  I would be happy to reccomend sites to visit and article about em. 

I can close the Captains of Crush #2 in both hands.  Hopefully I will get #3 for christmas.

I live near Chicago.

-Lenny

You're one big, bad, Mo-Fo! :bow

Hello, 

My name is Lenny.  I am 6'8" 265lbs lean.  I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (couple of years, I am good), Muay Thai (sometimes), and Submission Wrestling.  Jiu Jitsu is alot of fun.  I have been Seriously weightlifting since I was 22.  I am 29 now. 

My elbows suck... anytime I bend my arms and use strength, they flame up.  So because of that I do strength training that does not bend my arms.  If anyone has suggestions to help out elbow pain I am all ears.

my strongest deadlift was 585lbs.  My dead is currently around the 500 mark.. sigh :erm

I also workout with strands quite often, and love them.  if you do not know what strands are, they are similar to the old steel spring chest expander.  I use bulk surgical tubing.  It is awesome, you work your body in a totally different way.  I would be happy to reccomend sites to visit and article about em. 

I can close the Captains of Crush #2 in both hands.  Hopefully I will get #3 for christmas.

I live near Chicago.

-Lenny

Welcome Lenny, regarding elbow pain, here is what helped me:

1) be careful with grippers, they can cause tendonitis to flare up

2) high-rep reverse wrist curls with lightweight dumbbells, one arm at a time. These can be done on a table, on the arm of a chair, or with your arm resting on your thigh close to the knee while in a squat position. (this last position is preferred since it allows for the best positioning of the arm that is doing the curl). Go slow at first and do a lot of sets once you are comfortable with them. I use an Ivanko 15 lb. thick-handled neoprene dumbbell for these.

3) Nicoflex and other ointments like it ...

I could suggest a few other things but this should probably be under a separate topic (try the search ...)

Glenn

Hey People,

Wayne here,

Stats: 5'9" 220 somewhat lean but not lean enough. In my 30's. Been training forever but seriously training for four years. Actually train with three friends, one of which is "The Beast That Walks Upright Like A Man". Only been training grip seriously for about a year. Gripper's (Ivanko/CoC), blob, plate pinch/curls, thick bar curls and dead lifts etc. Like The Beast I use no chaulk, straps, belts, etc.

My grip goals are simple...become as strong as is genetically possible. My father always measured a man's physical strength by his grip and I always remember him when I try to mash somthing. I love the idea of bending everyday objects like pans and wrenches...not there yet...YET!!!

Thanks for the priveledge,

wayne

Hello,

My name is Maurice. I am 5'8" and weigh 140 lbs. I am in my 30's. I have been training with grippers for a couple of months. I am working on closing a CoC #1 gripper. I bought it not knowing where to really start. When I first got my Coc #1 gripper and tried closing it, I said to myself " I should have bought the trainer first." But I am making progress with the #1 gripper. Right now I am mainly doing 30 second holds in a position just beyond where I can close it with an unassisted hand. I am also doing fully closed holds on my thigh for about 10 seconds. I have done multiple rep sessions with each hand unassisted, but I can't get far beyond parallel, so I that's why I am mainly doing the holds. I have also bought the CoC book and read it through. I saw many good ideas that I will eventually implement. It would be easy for me to say that my goal is to eventually close the #3 or #4, but to paraphrase what Joe Kinney said in the CoC book, I better not just work out with the #1 right now, but I better "Go to War" with it and "Not Surrender".

As far as other workout routines, I mainly do bodyweight exercises (a la Matt Furey, or Pavel's "Naked Warrior"). I have also been working with kettlebells for a few months. I own a 53 lb kettlebell and have a 70 lb one on the way. I may eventually go back to using barbells and incorporate them into my routine. My goal here (without specifying poundages) is to get as strong and fit as I can get at the size I am at or slightly bigger.

Thanks and Enjoy the Pain

:D

Hello Gripboard.

I love this place. Haven;t been into grip training that long started doing timed holds with a 3 inch bar about 6 months ago to supplement my normal strength training , and 6 weeks ago bought the sport ,trainer and #1 coc grippers. i didn;t really know where i would be grip strength wise but was excited when they arrived. since then i have bought the no 2 and 3 just for extra motivation. i am about half and inch from closing the #2. The no 1 was tough when i first started. .

don't know if i will ever achieve certification on the no.3 , it would be nice but i don;t get my hopes up. . i train for the love of it,, it keeps me sane and focused results are a great side effect i suppose. since i started this grip training , it has become a whole new passion.

thanks for reading

this is a great site.

kind regards,

James

Edited by Jimmy74

Hi, my name is Brian and I live in New York City. I'm 31 now and have been interested in grip ever since I was 15 when I stumbled upon a national sit-down armwrestling competition. Since then I have been training on and off with COC grippers. I recently started the KTA program to help me demolish the #2.

It's good stuff. I think I'm getting stronger, but I'll have to wait until I finish Phase 1 to find out for sure.

Bonjour, stumbled in this site by accident as I was looking for just general grip strength info....didn't know that there was a group of people who focus on grip training alone...fantastic !!

I do a lot of martial arts and gymnastics, so my grip is reasonable but after looking through this site it has a long way to go....have ordered a trainer to guage my strength and get started, from what I've read closing the #3 is the standard " you now officially have a bad ass grip level".......but I'm not aiming for a bone crushing hand shake just a grip that says " who's your daddy"? :rock

Well I just joined pretty recently and received my order of COC grippers.

Anyway my name is Mark, and I'm 15, turning 16 in less than 3 months. I weigh 130pounds and have been the same for quite a long time as I've never actually bothered to try working out until I found about grippers.

Currently I'm using the guide to somewhat casually get into it and toughen up my hand to adapt to the rough metal sides of the grippers. I'm hoping to go all the way and close the #4 and go even beyond that as I'm still only 15 and have many years ahead of me.

I've pretty much vowed to stick with this as it'll be the only real exercise I ever do. XD

Edited by nothingclever