NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

Hello!

My name is Jose Jara and i'm from Madrid (Spain). I'm 27 years old, 10 years of training, 180 cm tall and bodyweight of 100 kg more or less.

I compete in powerlifting (IPF) and my bests in competition are:

-Squat : 265 kg.

-Bench: 180 kg.

-Deadlift: 275 kg.

In the grip department:

-COC's: 6 reps with the #2 (right hand) and 3 reps with the #2 (left hand). Now i'm very near to close the HG300.

-One hand deadlift: 200 kg, straddle until the level of the knees.

-Two hands pinch lift: 75 kg in T-bar machine. Two discs of 15 kg with one hand.

-Rolling Thunder: 72,5 kg (right hand) 67,5 kg (left hand).

-Curl with Apollon Axle: 67,5 kg, 3 sets of 5 reps.

My name is Jon, I'm 37, 6' 3" 228lbs. I read Brawn about 10 years ago and that really changed the way I approach my training. We moved to a new city 5 years ago, and I went back to school 2 years ago, and my training since has been sporadic at best. This past year was especially bad, I wasn't able to put together a month of solid workouts. But after some reorganizing I'm set to start building a solid foundation once again. I've never done real grip work before, just some wrist curls in the regular routine, I'm looking forward to some serious improvement. I'm going to use the beginners routine in the FAQ to start, I've also ordered Mastery of Hand Strength, and a CoC trainer (for now). Long term I'd like to work up to closing the #3 CoC, and maybe some bending and card tearing. I've got a pic of myself with Magnus Ver Magnusson, maybe I'll put that up as inspiration. :D

Hi there... My name is Heath and I'm 33 6' 4" 230. I got turned on to this board after getting a couple grippers and checking out all of the grip feats on the Diesel crew website. I like using block weights, 2x4 w/weight, and a softball w/weight for working the pinch. Of course the grippers always come into play. I also like to mess with the little big horn and rolling thunder once in a while, but don't use them for training. I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to post. I made quick progress to the #2 and hope to close the #3 by end of this year or early part of next year. I'd also like to increase my block weight lifts. Great board...I've learned a lot from all of you.

Hey Everyone

I'm Mike Goebel. I have been working my grip for roughly 6months. I can almost close a #1COC. I use a formulator for wrist curling and typically a whole lot of finger tip pushups and pull ups. I noticed that some guys are going for 300 lbs on a wrist curl. Wow!!

I didn't see info or movies on sledge hammer leveraging. I'm really interested after reading about Slim the Hammerman. Thanks!

Mike Goebel

Hi, my name is phil, i'm 29 5'6 155lbs. I just started weight training last week. And I was doing pull ups and chin ups, and I realized how weak my grip was. So here i am. Right now i've been lurking and just trying to understand all the buzz words that everyone uses...

So basically I want a much stronger grip, and bigger forearms (bruce lee type forearms).

Oh and i want to impress my friends and family by tearing a phonebook in half at next year's barbecue.

this is a great forum

I've been on bodybuilding.com powerlifting forums and a member there gave me a link to the gripboard and told me that there was a lot of info about grip strength.

My training was with heavy grippers, I would do the following:

hg 100 - 70 times

hg 150- 10-15

hg 200 -10-15

hg 250-10 cheating with my leg a little

hg 300-5 cheating my ass off, mashing it into my leg.

I just got John Brookfields books and started doing some other grip training, thick bar holds, pinching plates, ect. I was really surprised that this type of training made my forearms more sore than the grippers. I ordered the coc grippers 1-4 and I was surprised that the pound rating was so far from the heavy grippers.

I can close the #1 10-20 times and the #2 I think I did it 5 times once, but sometimes I cant close it. The #3 I want, but I'm a ways off, and the #4 I don't know if I will ever close it. I also got the nails to bend and I did the first two, I have three more to go, I'm close to the 3rd nail, I forget the color. My short term goal is to close the coc #3, long term goal #4. I think I'll get the 3rd nail soon, so then short term with be the 4th nail, long term the red nail bend. Where do you get the mash monster grippers??? I just started changing my gripper training around, doing some light warm up reps and then going right into the heavier grips for low reps and more sets. :help

:help

Say hey, guys.

I'm Chris, I'm 25, and I'm from Long Island, New York. I have a background in martial arts (Kenpo Jiujitsu) , and have been doing personal training for the past 4 years. I've been working out for I-don't-know-how-long without any specific goal, but I've figured one out, and definitely need some help getting there.

By this time next year, I'll do a Farmer's Walk (hence the name...clever, huh?) for 1 and a half miles, with 100 pounds per hand. I'm not sure how likely or realistic it is, but that's it.

All the "cool kids" around say that if it happens in your hands, it happens here, so it seemed to make sense that I join up. I've already searched the site for "Farmer's Walk" and read most everything that popped up. I'll definitely be redesigning my training program, and asking some questions along the way, but I also plan on contributing to other threads as much as I'm able to. Thanks a bunch.

Hello, everyone. My name is Marc, and I just got my first pair of grippers I've had since I was a teenager last week(I'm a couple of decades past that now). I ordered the CoC #1's, and found I was about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch away from closing them with my right hand, and more like 1/2 of 2/3 of an inch away from closing them with my left. After some gentle training this week, I found my closing geting worse.

I've always been able to hang for quite a while from a chinning bar, but had little crushing power. So when I stumbled across the book "Mastery of Hand Strength" while surfing through the Amazon site, it reminded me that hand strength, which I've always thought of as a cornerstone of macho, was sadly lacking. I didn't buy the book, but bought a #1 CoC. A week later, when it came, I proceeded to squeeze it and almost instantly got sore. The fact that I've had severe soreness from decades of high speed daily typing, and that I got quite sick at the beginning of this year and lost a good bit of muscle and strength, has put me in a situation where I have a lot of catching up to do.

I've been exercising only very sporadically for the last few years, but used to be extremely active, training in the martial arts and getting a couple of black belts. I got terrific general endurance from that, and perhaps all those push-ups on my fingers helped me with hand endurance, but I always felt annoyed and disappointed at how weak my crush grip was, especially since I was a fanatic for reverse curls and wrist curls. Being very skinny naturally, it's always been very hard for me to maintain or add new muscle, and I'm very thin-boned. Just not naturally strong, nor physically gifted in any other way.

So now I've been ready up on the net and lurking around forums, and bought a trainer and a #2 gripper on the recommendation of someone into hand strength training. I also found out about the KTA program, and just bought it, and the business about filing down grippers made me realize I needed some grippers in duplicate, and that a #3 was probably in order, to I ordered those. The KTA program's videos finally got me understanding what a dogleg is and how to set a gripper, and after playing with setting the grippers, the 1/4 I needed on the #1 has dropped to just a whisker from full closure.

That knowledge alone was worth the price of the course for me, and I'm excited about giivng the course a try, and participating in this new challenge and this forum. I look forward to finding out about you guys and your adventures, and hope one day to be able to close the #3's, even if it takes years and years.

Hey Blarg Welcome to the board, nice to see you here.

Hello all, My name is Vinny, I live in the UK, am 34, 5'7" and weigh about 195lb.

Trained in karate for 20 years and Judo for 3. Lifted weights here and there during the whole time and a bit before too.

Got interested in grip training whilst doing Judo and got CoC T and #1. Later got #2 and am about .25" from closing it.

Given up Judo and Karate now and just lift weights and grip train. As well as the grippers, I've got a sledge hammer for the wrists and a few york plates for pinching and will be making a block to hang them from soon.

I've lurked about on here for a while and when I was deciding what equipment to buy I reckon it has saved me over £100.

I probably wont post much as I won't have much to offer, I'm just happy to search and browse for now.

Goals? None specific really at the moment, I'm going to get a solid six/nine months training behind me, see where I am, and then decide where I might want to be.

Hello all, My name is Vinny, I live in the UK, am 34, 5'7" and weigh about 195lb.

Trained in karate for 20 years and Judo for 3. Lifted weights here and there during the whole time and a bit before too.

Got interested in grip training whilst doing Judo and got CoC T and #1. Later got #2 and am about .25" from closing it.

Given up Judo and Karate now and just lift weights and grip train. As well as the grippers, I've got a sledge hammer for the wrists and a few york plates for pinching and will be making a block to hang them from soon.

I've lurked about on here for a while and when I was deciding what equipment to buy I reckon it has saved me over £100.

I probably wont post much as I won't have much to offer, I'm just happy to search and browse for now.

Goals? None specific really at the moment, I'm going to get a solid six/nine months training behind me, see where I am, and then decide where I might want to be.

Welcome!

Hi everybody. I'm a brand new member. My name is Jonathan but most of my friends call me Ski. I used to lift quite a bit but haven't regularly for a few years. Trying to get back into it. I've recently gotten interested in Gripping and have been working on the COC Trainer and COC Level 1. I was able to close 1 right away and hope to move up to 2 in the near future. I've been a Firefighter/EMT for the past 6 years and right now am going to Law School in Seattle. Thanks for all of the help I've already gained from the other forums.

Woman: Who are you?

Man: Nobody knows; least of all me.

Ich bin Starkmann

Ich liebe Gewichte Heben.

Seriously though,

I'm Starkmann. I'm new here and have no idea what I am in for. I am unsure what I want out of this too. I'm returning to strength training and am trying out powerlifting. I quickly found that my grip strength was one of my weakest links. I found John Brooklfield's book, Mastering hand strength. I have read it and am trying to apply it where I can. So far I have not taken it as far as I can and should. I'm here in search of more tools and measurements I can use to my benefit. At this point I don't have any major accomplishments to report. I can pinch grip two ten pound plates for well over thirty seconds with each hand. I can pinch two twenty-fives for about five seconds with my right hand and not at all with my left. My "strongman" style exploits are limited to annoying my corkers by pinch gripping two plastic tubs (one in each hand) and walking around with them while most of them struggle to move one with their entire body. Those containers contain twelve, one liter bags of fluid. Not a major accomplishment on this board, I am sure, but beyond comprehension where I work. Other than that I have enjoyed pulling boards apart that are together (loosely, with two nails and a long time ago) while friends struggle with hammers.

So obviously I have long way to go. I saw a video of the diesel crew doing pull ups and working their way up to one finger per hand. That, to me, seems very bad ass. I would like to work that general direction.

So I'll see you around on the board. I'll probably troll for a bit.

You mean "lurk" right? Trolling is not a good thing.

You mean "lurk" right? Trolling is not a good thing.

guess I have seen both used. I'll lurk with a large troll to ward off any attackers. there :tongue

I will hang out and not post for a while, maybe.....

Hey guys. My names is Tyler and i'm from Kansas....i've been a member of this board for awhile, and often post comments. I've gained an interest in grippers since my cousin Patrick recently closed the #4. I myself look up to him and his feats, so i just started training using the #2 and the Master.....About a week ago I got to the point where i can close the 2 fully.....with right hand only.

height: 6'0

Weight: 166lbs

Thanks all!

Edited by tyler32

Hi to everyone.

My name is Dan and I am 26 years old. I just started messing around with grip work last November. I took a long break and started seriously again back in July.

I am working on the COC number 2 (1/2 inch to go, No set close) and from there my long term goals are to no set the number 3 then number 4 grippers with either hand. Like I said LONG term goals :blink

I also train with cables and am looking to add in kettlebells. If I ever have money its going to be scary how many grip tools I would have.

Dan

Hi, Guys.

My name is Roy. I'm 49.

I've been lifting for years in my basement gym (power cage) mostly on a 2x per week Dr Ken-like program--all Olympic barbells and dumbbells. I've become very serious about gripping lately. Actually, according to my wife, obsessively serious.

I now do pinch-gripping and wrist curl/reverse wrist curls on my Weight Training days. I do specific COC work on 2 additional days, well separated.

Before coming to this board (and purchasing some books and the Kinney video) I was training mostly for high reps with the Trainer (whenever I felt like it) and never got anywhere near a close on the #2. Recently, by focusing on overcrush singles with my #1--and resting between attempts--I'm now inside 1/8" on my #2 (with my dominant hand) and am determined to close the damn thing, any time, with either hand (my mid-range goal).

Just ordered a #1 so I can file it down for Beyond Range work (seems like what many experts think is essential).

I'll ask specific questions later in separate posts, but for now, I just wanted to say "Hi" and thanks to the creator of this board and the guys who have shared their knowledge.

Roy

Hello, I don't know if people go by their real names here so I guess I'll just introduce myself as Vision. I use a plate-loaded gripping machine and can get 200 for one BARELY. I want to be able to grip far stronger as soon I am joining a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu club. I'm 5ft 8 inches tall, I weigh about 170...down from 208. 33 years old and reside in Ottawa, Ontario.

I do a fair amount of gripping with the grip machine and I climb rope using just my bodyweight supported by arms only. I have found that this is one of the best ways to improve upperbody strength. When I grip, I use gripping powder as I tend to sweat easily. I also do deadlift lockouts to improve my grip on my power rack (I have one in my home gym in the basement).

Initially I started because I previously had a very WEAK grip and wanted to improve it. I hope to learn a lot from people here as I really don't know that much about systematic grip training.

I guess a good first question would be to ask about a beginner's program for gripping and what kinds of equipment I should use. Thank you for allowing me to join, and I'm here to learn.

Good day! :mellow

I think Wanna can back me up on this, since I am beginning to see a trend here.

On your very first post to this forum, PLEASE introduce yourself and tell us about what your doing in terms of grip training, what your interests are in terms of grip strength, and what you want to get out of this forum.  You can also include other information that might be revelant, such as height, weight, age, etc.

Here's an example:  On his very first post, I saw a newbie boast about the accomplishments of another member (which we are well aware of), and in the process break a rule of the forum.  This led to Wanna locking the topic.  I would have like to have known something more about the newbie as well.

OTOH, I read another first post from another newbie and he went into detail about who he was, what his training background was, and what he wanted to do in terms of grip - THEN he asked a question about his routine.  IMHO, this is the way it should be.

Newbies that lurk before posting are good too.  It means that they are gathering a consensus of the forum, and are cautious to ask a question here that has been asked about a million times!  :D

O.K., I'll get off my soapbox now...  :rolleyes

Hey Guys,

This is A. Provence also known as "meatball" i work out at Sorinex Gym and have been grip trianing with Richard Sorin for about 6 Months. I just wanted to introduce myself and i am really excited to be apart of the grip board.