NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

About me:

I'm a newbie here. I'm 23 years old, 268 lbs. and 5'9". My main areas of concern right now are wieghtloss (trying to get 190lbs) and grip strength. I just started working out a few weeks ago doing kettlebell snatches, swings and clean and presses, I have a 16kg and a 24 kg kettlebell.

Why I'm interested in Grip:

I saw a buddy the other day I haven't seen in awhile last time I saw him I was 200lbs and a weightlifting fanatic but made some bad choices and got out of the game for about 3-4 years. Anyways he made a comment about how my handshake was weak compared to what he remembered, so I have to improve.

Current workout:

3 days a week; some days I do circuits, some days I just do it

30-40 minutes of

snatches

clean and press

2-arm swings

1-arm swings

I started hiking on my days off

My new plan of Attack:

I made me a block weight out of a 40lb DB for the last few workouts as a finisher I have been doing block weight catches I pick the weight up in a semi upright row/front raise drop it and catch it with the other hand I have been shooting for 1 set of as many as I can followed by 3 sets of ten catches with each hand. And I bought a 12lb sledgehammer and got an old tire off a dump truck. I was thinking of changing my training to this:

Day 1: Day 2:

Turkish Get-ups beat the tire with my sledge for 30 min

KB snatches

Block weight drop/catch

Day 3: rest; then repeat

hiking on the days I can

I'm also looking in to maybe getting some grippers when I have the extra money or maybe some other equipment.

What I want to get out of the GripBoard:

Feed back on what I'm doing right or wrong.

What has worked for other members here or what hasn't.

Answers to question that may/will pop up as I progress.

Just to learn you guys have been at this longer than me.

Hi all,

I'm Troy, I'll be 34 in a few weeks, 5'8" and 150lbs. I did a lot of bodybuilding in high school, but for the last 6 or 7 years, I've been more into "practical" strength training.

I have a blackbelt in Kenpo, and studied Ninjutstu for a few years. However, the UFC, especially over the last few years, has convinced me that from a self defense standpoint, I've wasted a lot of time.

I'm currently trying to start training MMA (street) with a grappling speciality. (Homeschooling it with some neighbors)

Also doing "Combat" fitness training:

Classic Snatch

chinups from rope

pushups on fist, balancing on basketballs, then popping from one side to the other on a single ball

some "tornado traing" (see the Paul Chek website under articles)

rotator cuff support (7 minute rotator cuff solution)

stretching

mobility training ("Super Joints")

recently added hand strength training.

I have a wife, two daughters, and a third (daughter) due on the 20th of this month, so I train when I can, but am pretty consistent, if a little tired.

Just got my CoC #1 in the mail, but I can't open the package ;)

Wondering if anyone has tried the "Hand gripper helper" from ironmind? Any feedback?

Thanks Troy

Hi guys, another newbie to grip training.

My name is Claes, Swedish but left for Thailand for about 11 years ago :D too bloody cold in Sweden. Teaching diving in Pattaya is a lot better.

I'm 46, 5'11 and 228lbs, converting the real world measurements so you guys will understand :laugh , read somewhere that it's only The States and Lybia that still officially use imperial! but I digress, I'm supposed to talk about me.

I've been doing various sports since I was 14, training with weight have always been a must. My lifts are mediocre, Squat 440 well below parallel, benchpress 310 broke my wrist many years ago so I can only bench with a shoulderwide grip and deadlift 510 using overhandgrip with straps because I got stabbed and the ulnar nerve in my left arm got cut so I only have two fingers with any strength. I can move my pinky and ringfinger but hardly any strenght at all. Sux. Lifts are without belts.

Started gripping as rehab for a tennis elbow, (no I don't play tennis) I have CoC Trainer, #1, #2 and #3. I'm a 1/8 from closing #2 and I get #3 to parallel. Thinking about filing down #1 for over squeezes. My weak part is the last bit.

Have been using the program from Clay Edgins(sp) website, started off with 10 squeezes 3 day a week and have worked up to 40 squeezes 3 days on 1 off. 40 a day is too much, I think my limit is app.25-30 every 2:nd day. Will stick to the grippers to the end of this month, then I'll add pinchgrip and maybe some bending aswell?

Thanks for a great forum, Ive spent hours the last weeks going over all the old posts. I think I've got all my questions answered, at least so far. Thanks.

Hello,

My name is Adam. I am 22, 6' and about 170lbs.

I have been lifting weights for about 7 months now.

I had never really thought about grip training until recently, when it dawned on me that it was the weak link in all the pulling moves I perform in the gym.

I have recently purchased some grippers from HeavyGrips. I have the 100, 150 and 200 lb grippers.

I really don't have much idea of what to do. I have just been playing with them for a few weeks.

I can get a fair few reps with the 100 and can get get 1 or 2 reps with the 150. I can't move the 200 at all.

My left hand is quite a lot weaker than my right.

By reading/posting on these boards I hope to HOW to develop a decent grip.

Cheers.

Hi all,

Been lurking here for awhile, great stuff on this site! Anyways as to me, my name is Dave, i'm 28 and have been weight training for about a year now, i trained seriously in highschool but after a prolonged illness i lost my motivation for it, but im happy to say that im my motivation is back

I stumbled across this board from the bodybuilding.com forums, i saw a thread on the CoC grippers and it caught my interest. Since that time i have purchased the trainer and number 1 grippers, (I was able to close the number 1 once the day i got it though not the first time i picked it up), i also have made a card tearing pinch grip tool out of a cut up weight lifting belt, duct tape, and some mountain climbin gear. Ive been accumulating grip training stuff slowly but surely.

I bartend now but i was a machinist for a few years as well so i use my hands alot in my job, but i will admit i was surprised how difficult the number 1 was to close as i always thought i had strong hands lol. I figure im gonna do some basic work for about 3 months, pinch grip, wrist curls, dexterity balls, and grippers, and then start on some more difficult and creative training like that in john brookfields books.

anyways glad to be here and hopefully 1 day i'll be in MILO

Hi everybody my name is Bill, and like many of you I think (know) I have a grip addiction. I have been lurking for about seven months and have only made two posts for grip equipment I wanted to buy. I'm 5'8" tall, weight 270lbs. and have grown to 30yrs of age. I played football and threw shotput and discus in high school. I also have an addiction to IRON and NATURAL STRENGTH that started when my father gave me my first weight set at the age of 10. The first thing I did was load the bar and find out just how much I could benchpress :mosher . I have competed in powerlifting for roughly 8yrs in the 275lbs and 242lbs weight class' (never made the 220lbs., like my beer to much). My current PR's are a 550lbs squat in the 242's, a 400lbs benchpress and a 520lbs deadlift in the 275's. Nothing to great to brag about but it was all done as a life time drug free lifter. I have competed in 1 Highland games (need to get off my arse and do another 1 or 2) had a really good time and did quite well. I just recently did a strongman competition and got my ass handed to me, but I learned a lot (its really big and hairy) :yikes . I got turned on to grip training at a strict curl and grip challenge last year where I was also handed my arse in the grip contest. I've been hooked ever since. I closed the CoC Trainer and the CoC #1 that day (with both right & left hands) and got the CoC #2 to within about 3/4 of an inch of closing. I have currently closed a HG150, HG200 and can get my CoC #2 to within 1/16 of an inch of closing. My short term goals are to destroy my CoC #2 and pinch a 40lbs blob. As for long term goals I will close the CoC #3 and #4, play catch with a 50lbs blob, and lift the inch dumbbell over my head. I also vow to get my revenge on the hub lift and the rolling thunder. :angry: . I have just started doing strap holds and overcrushes, some bending and pinch grip work. O.K., that's it, Mongo say, less talky-talky, more trainy-trainy.

Hello everybody my name is Jonas. Length: 185cm. Weight: 120kg. I’m a 21 years old grip newbie from Sweden. I’ve been reading stuff on this forum for a while. I don’t think I have any knowledge or experience to contribute with but that might come with time and practise. I have no “serious” strength training background. I’ve been training grip since 10th of February this year when I first got my hands on a coc#1 and coc#2. I managed to close the coc#1 the day after I got it in my mailbox. The 8th of March I closed the coc#2 with my right and now I can close it 8+ times. I closed coc#2 with my left for the first time 11th of May but I doesn’t close it every time. The third of May I got my coc#3. It’s feels very hard and now I have about 1-1.5cm(about ½ inch) left with my right. My left hand has made slow progress but I’ve always been stronger with my right. I’ve been documenting my grip training since day one so I can see my progress. I’ve done very little pinch training and no bending so I just concentrate on crush strength at the moment. I just train with my grippers and my homemade wristroller and I also do some wristcurls and overhand wristcurls. My current goal is to close the coc#3. The reason why I find grip training interesting is the usefulness of a strong grip.

Welcome guys

Dumleman, you are about where i am. good luck with the 3 :rock

hi, name is Cookie, i lurked here for a while, and dutch pursuaded my to join the board. I can't close a #1, but with the info on the board, í think i soon will..

Hi my name is Edo Muslic. I am 14 years old and 165 lbs. My bench is 170, My squat is 315 3 times, and my deadlift is 245. I have torn a 500 page phone book when I started tearing 2 days ago. Yesterday I have torn a 1200+ page phone book. So that's me. :D

Hello everybody my name is Jonas. Length: 185cm. Weight: 120kg. I’m a 21 years old grip newbie from Sweden. I’ve been reading stuff on this forum for a while. I don’t think I have any knowledge or experience to contribute with but that might come with time and practise.  I have no “serious” strength training background. I’ve been training grip since 10th of February this year when I first got my hands on a coc#1 and coc#2. I managed to close the coc#1 the day after I got it in my mailbox. The 8th of March I closed the coc#2 with my right and now I can close it 8+ times. I closed coc#2 with my left for the first time 11th of May but I doesn’t close it every time. The third of May I got my coc#3. It’s feels very hard and now I have about 1-1.5cm(about ½ inch) left with my right.  My left hand has made slow progress but I’ve always been stronger with my right. I’ve been documenting my grip training since day one so I can see my progress. I’ve done very little pinch training and no bending so I just concentrate on crush strength at the moment. I just train with my grippers and my homemade wristroller and I also do some wristcurls and overhand wristcurls. My current goal is to close the coc#3. The reason why I find grip training interesting is the usefulness of a strong grip.

Awesome progress! Keep it up and welcome on the Gripboard :rock

Hi my name is Edo Muslic. I am 14 years old and 165 lbs. My bench is 170, My squat is 315 3 times, and my deadlift is 245. I have torn a 500 page phone book when I started tearing 2 days ago. Yesterday I have torn a 1200+ page phone book. So that's me. :D

That's pretty wild man. Can't wait to see how you fair at the grip strength game.

Hi My Name Christopher Jenkins I'm 6'2 245lbs and just turned 16 the strongest gripper i've closed is the hg300..but i think i can do more seeing how that is the strongest gripper i have :( i have also pinched 2 25's and have broken 2 35's off the ground and I'm not gonna mention any of my bends cause i suck at bending right now :D. I'm kinda new to grip but i have been looking at this board for a while. I started training about 2 1/2 months ago and i am hoping to learn much more as time goes on. Hope I didnt leave anything out :)

-Chris

Hi My Name Christopher Jenkins I'm 6'2 245lbs and just turned 16 the strongest gripper i've closed is the hg300..but i think i can do more seeing how that is the strongest gripper i have  :(  i have also pinched 2 25's and have broken 2 35's off the ground and I'm not gonna mention any of my bends cause i suck at bending right now  :D.  I'm kinda new to grip but i have been looking at this board for a while. I started training about 2 1/2 months ago and i am hoping to learn much more as time goes on. Hope I didnt leave anything out  :)

-Chris

Wow,you're a pretty big guy. You play football or wrestle?

Hi My Name Christopher Jenkins I'm 6'2 245lbs and just turned 16 the strongest gripper i've closed is the hg300..but i think i can do more seeing how that is the strongest gripper i have  :(  i have also pinched 2 25's and have broken 2 35's off the ground and I'm not gonna mention any of my bends cause i suck at bending right now  :D.  I'm kinda new to grip but i have been looking at this board for a while. I started training about 2 1/2 months ago and i am hoping to learn much more as time goes on. Hope I didnt leave anything out  :)

-Chris

Wow,you're a pretty big guy. You play football or wrestle?

yeah, HG300 at 16 is awesome!! :bow

-Jon

Hello, my Name is Scott, I am 41 yrs old, I have been out of shape for years,... I am 6'3 and 195 lbs, last year I weighed 260 lbs in Jan.... I used to be in good shape back in the 80's and through 90-93... but with family and kids and work,,, well you know...

I have or had severe blockage in two places in my heart,, I did not have a heart attack, but was -as my doctor say "real close" .... neglecting not to have any stints or bypass, I opted to diet, cutting down on almost all fats, sugars, salts, and a lot of cholesterols, and esp Saturate fats.... do more cario work... back in 80's, riding bikes.... did a lot of lifting... I used to practice Combat Grappling long before there was UFC fights here in the USA... I had one guy I trained with who I NEVER could beat... maybe a draw evey so often.. I was not that great.. haha..

I was 220 lbs back then, bench 320, squat 400, dead 560, overhead press 210, cheat curl 205, no drugs, lifting one or two days a week... most of my fitness was riding a bike... run a 4.9 ..40 yard.. NEVER any roids.. I've never even taken Creatine.

I have lower back probs, so I can not squat too much now... I can not eat all the muscle foods (red meats etrc) that others can eat.. so it is harder to gain strength and muscle now... I am almost a Vegetarian

I used to work my forearms some in the day, and some light grip work... through the last year after my heart ordeal.. I thought it might be time to ballance my strength some and get into more serious grip trainning..., I have made some home make grippers and started going at it a little at a time...

I also have a 105 lb dumbell with a 2.5 inch handle I made..

I thought I'd give the IronMind Grippers a try, and ordered the T, 1,2,3 and 4...

Boy was I humbled, I could close the #1, and got the #2 to 1/16 inch to close the first day I got it . my friend said it looked like I closed it for a fraction of a second.. but I didn't feel it click. and I don't like to cheat myself...

the #3 I can get to about parelell (doesn't mean jack really)... the #4 stays in the package, someday I hope to use for negatives...

I have a long road, but I hope to close the #3 and get the #4 to parelell some day.. I am not sure if my genetic potentual can allow me to go further... but a #3 and a 12 lb hamer raise, a 150-172 lb 2.5 inch dumbell deadlift are my long term goals

Right now the even the #2 is like a dirty mean old coach running behind me kicking me in the butt, while a run in front of it.. It ownes me!

bye

scotty

19 yr old powerlifter to be hopeful here.  My buddy shorty and I are new to grip strength.  I post on T-Nation and Dr. Squat sometimes.  My main goal is powerliting but I love grip strength and odd lifts as well.  Hope to get some big gains pretty soon.

Do you still pick up hitchhikers in "Phantom 309" ? :D Sorry man, I could not pass that up. If you don't get the joke, "Big Joe and Phantom 309" is a song by Red Sovine.

Anyway, welcome and good trainning, I am sure you will learn a lot.

Mike

Hello.

My name is Robert, 23 years old from sweden.

My interest startded when i got my first gripper.

The CoC #2. i had no clue what it was, so i ordered Number two.

Of course when i got it home. i had no chance to get it closed.

but i worked on it. this was the only gripper i had at first.

after a couple of months i got it closed. then i ordered a RB240, and a CoC #3.

same with those, no chance to close them.

Then i started to rip som phonebooks.

actually i got 600 of them, and this set my gripper training back

to square zero. but it's slot of fun. my girlfriend is not that happy with all

those books.

well thats a little about me.

See ya..

Hi all!

My name is Mathew (Mat) Helmer and I am from Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I am 33 years old and I have been weightlifting since I was 12.

I started gripping about 1.5 years ago. I was experiencing a sore right elbow from using a mouse at my PC. I was on the web and I found an interesting article on the Ivanko SuperGripper http://www.physics.mun.ca/~sstamp/knives/ivanko_gripper.html and eventually ordered one from the US. When I first started I was at 196 pounds on the gripper. Now I am at 303 pounds on the gripper. It was kind of a slow progression but why rush? I also purchased a 12lb sledge hammer to use after my gripping. I wrapped the sledge in white hockey tape and marked the tape in 1 inch increments. I grab the sledge at a set length away from the head, place my arm straight down the side of my body and raise the sledge, until it is parallel to the floor in front of me. Works great for the tops of your forearms. You can also grab it backwards and raise it behind you to hit the under-belly of your forearms. I train forearms on a separate day from anything else. Here is a sample of how it goes these days...

303 x 6 sets of 6 complete reps for each hand.

323 x 2 sets of 2 complete reps for each hand (performed after 2 sets of the 303).

365 (springs at 12 and 11) x 6 sets of hold for time for each hand (5-10 seconds).

12lb Sledge Hammer @ 22 inches from head x 6 sets of 6 complete reps for each hand.

Isometric Exercise: grab the top of a large wooden knob (end of staircase) with the end of your fingers and squeeze as hard as you can, until you faint - 6 times for each hand.

Since all of this grip training, my sore elbow is gone and the "pump" I used to get from doing back or biceps, is non-existent. I can now focus on my other lifts without my forearms giving out first! My ultimate goal is to purchase and close the COC #4 on the same day (we'll see - I have just ordered) and also to rip a Yellow Pages in half (it's about 3 inches thick).

Cheers! :yikes

hello, I am 18 years old and from chicago.I have been lifting weights for about 3 years. I found this amazing sport by accident actually. I was browsing through the bodybuilder.com forum and I came upon this site and ever since ive been hooked with grip strength. I just recently purchased the HG 100,150,200,250,300. Getting ready to start training grip this week.

hello, I am 18 years old and from chicago.I have been lifting weights for about 3 years. I found this amazing sport by accident actually. I was browsing through the bodybuilder.com forum and I came upon this site and ever since ive been hooked with grip strength. I just recently purchased the HG 100,150,200,250,300. Getting ready to start training grip this week.

Welcome to the board! :)

Hey everyone. I'm Paul. I'm a 25 year old law student from Washington, D.C.

I've only been into grip training for a little while. I got interested, oddly enough, because I'm also a card magician, and both hand and finger strength play a big role in making advanced sleight of hand look effortless. Once I got interested though, I started pursuing grip strength for its own sake. So far I've only managed to close the IM level 1, but I'm looking forward to closing the #2 and maybe, one day, the #3.

It'd also be nice to end a set of card tricks by ripping the deck in half.

Latest Newb checking in.

My name is Forrest, I'm from the California Bay Area. I came across this board because I saw a link to it on a knife forum I frequent. I'm 6' 1" 260. I love the idea of grip training, and have been working with cheap grippers (need to upgrade). I'm new to this, but have been totally impressed by many of the strength feats I've seen.

My goals are to improve my grip strength for self defense and general utility purposes. I have a feeling though, that like my other vices, this will become an addicting activity!

It'd also be nice to end a set of card tricks by ripping the deck in half.

Would be nice. And it would be no trick :rock

Welcome to the board!