Gripper Training And Strength And Conditioning From Dublin, Ireland

kinselbj

congrats Barry for your inspirational workouts!

its obvious u are enjoying your training a lot and have fun too!

U need to do some choker work for sure to help u to kill the last portion of the gripper!:-)

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kinselbj

• t-wehner

• CoC#3

• ewokhugo

Top Posters In This Topic

congrats Barry for your inspirational workouts!

its obvious u are enjoying your training a lot and have fun too!

U need to do some choker work for sure to help u to kill the last portion of the gripper!:-)

Thanks Hugo, I am enjoying my sessions, but I only want to use choker work after I ccs the #3 for the first time. I am so close I can taste it!

In the gym today:

Overhead Squats--5x5--After a good warm up and stretch

Drop Snatch--1x3@bar, 30, 40, 45, 50, 55

1 Hang Snatch + 1 Full Snatch--1x2@60, 65, 70

1 Full Snatch--1x1@75, 80, 85x7--I missed two of the middle reps and I changed my balance so that it was slightly more forward.

1 Power Clean + 2 Front Squats + 1 Jerk--1x4@70, 80, 85, 90, 95, 95--I missed the last jerk due to fatigue. I should have taken the bar from the rack but I hate those racks. My stubbornness proved to be silly as I missed my last rep.

Front Squats--1x2@100, 110x3--I kept everything really locked in and there was no noise in my knees at all. My knees have forced me to really improve my technique with squats and my snatches.

I finished the session with 3 one minute ice baths mixed in with warm showers. I finished on an ice bath.

I had a good session in the gym tonight:

Overhead Squats--5x5--I did groin pnf stretch beforehand and it made a difference with my hip flexibility.

Drop Snatches--1x3@bar, 30, 40, 45, 50

3 Hang Power Snatches--1x3@60, 67, 73x3--This was really tiring but worthwhile.

Jerk Dips--2x4@60--Really trying to focus on this exercise as it gets me in the right position for the jerk.

Jerk Catches--1x3@60

Split Jerk--1x3@60

2 Cleans and 1 Jerk--1x3@80, 90, 100, 110x6--This was a lovely weight to rep on. The clean was easy and the weight was heavy enough to work on my technique while still trying to be explosive with the jerk. I need to focus on dipping and jerking explosively and getting my elbows turned out.

Back Squats--1x3@110, 120x3--It was a nice light weight but I am getting my whole body used to squats again so I will gradually build them up again.

Glute Ham Raise--3x5--Still so bad at this, so I obviously need to do them more.

Weighted Ab Raise--3x25--Upper Ab exercise

I finished off with one 2 minute ice bath again and it felt great.

Edit: training tonight. I was single clean and jerking100 and then 110kg for six singles, not performing 2 cleans and then a jerk.

I had a little gripper session today. I am doing the following with both hands:

2x3 with Trainer

2x3 with #1

3x1 with the #2

With the left hand:

3x1 with #2.5--A tough close. Left is not feeling too hot so far. Third close was better.

1x1 with #2.5 with ccs--I missed by around 3 mm.

With the right hand:

2x1 with #2.5--an easy close

1x1 with #3--mms and an easy close.

1x1 with #3--ccs and I missed it by around 2/3 mm.

I had a good session in the gym today. There were four lifters so I could not fit in my last few sets of power cleans and power jerks.

Overhead Squats--5x5

Drop Snatches--1x3@40, 45, 50

Snatch Combo (1 Hang Power Sn, 1 Power Sn, 1 Full Sn)--1x3@60, 65, 70, 75, 80x3--This is another increase from last week. So tiring. My hang power snatches were really good which was nice.

Overhead Squats--1x2@70, 78, 87x3

As I said, no time to get the other stuff done, but I am happy with the session. Each time I get a session done, my weights go up 2 or three kg's from the week before when I did the session the previous week. I am training four times this week.

Another positive session in the gym today:

Overhead Squats--5x5 with hip/groin pnf in between which helped.

Drop Snatches--1x3@bar, 40, 45, 50, 55

1 Hang Snatch/ 1 Full Snatch--1x2@60, 70

Single Snatch--1x1@75, 80, 84, 88x6--Again, I was focusing on nailing every one of my lifts and I did that. I also learned I don't yet have the flexibility that the much wider grip I started using demands, so I brought it in a bit and I was much better at keeping my back locked in. I need to focus on locking my elbows out a fraction more, but overall I was very happy with my snatches.

2 Power Cleans + 1 Power Jerk--1x3@70, 80, 90, 95x3--This was a light weight but I was focusing on a short, explosive hip drive and I am improving on that.

Back Squats--1x3@120, 130x3--I am still getting back to these. I used sloppy form on one rep and my knees creaked, so I tightened everything up more, particularly the lower back arch, and everything was smooth plain sailing. As usual, all these reps were ass to grass and without a belt or wraps or any of that stuff.

Ab roller--3 sets of 6 reps or so.

I finished off the session with some more hip/groin pnf stretching and after went to the pool for more stretching and relaxation which felt great. My weight is still 95kg even though my body fat levels are dropping week by week, which means I am putting on muscle. This is slightly annoying however, because I don't want to get heavier! I still have another 2 kilos of body fat to lose and then I will be happy.

Had a very tiring day, but had a somewhat decent gym session

Overhead Squats--5x5

Drop Snatches--1x3@bar, 40, 50, 50

1 Hang Snatch + 1 Full Snatch--1x2@55, 60

Single Snatch--1x1@70, 77, 82, 86--miss, 86, 90x4--miss 2nd rep. My two misses tonight were due to not keeping my balance forward enough and not extending upwards.

2 Front Squats + 1 Jerk--1x3@80, 90, 95, 100x4--I missed 2 reps of 100 due to fatigue and a slow jerk with an incomplete lockout with the shoulders.

Front Squats--1x3@ 110, 120x3

Tonight was one of those sessions where you are very fatigued but you have to get on with it anyway. My poor session tonight is still better than my poor sessions a few months ago. After my day teaching, I brought my lads that I coach for a swim in the sea--I went in of course--and I finished my session tonight with 3 one minute ice baths. Now I am ready to be put down I am so tired.

I had a great session tonight:

Overhead Squats--5x5

Drop Snatches--1x3@bar, 40, 50, 55, 60, 65--missed second rep with lack of concentration. 1x2@70, 70, 75, 75--Both sets of 75kg I got the first rep nicely and missed the second rep, but the 75kg is a PR so I will take it.

Hang Power Snatch--1x3@70, 75, 77.5kg--I was really happy with these. They were fast and smooth.

Jerk Dips--2x5@50--I was really getting into the groove here. I was getting the lock that I have in my snatch in my jerk tonight. I focused on locking my shoulders out and actively reaching up and through the bar which made a big difference.

Jerk Catches--1x3@50, 55, 60, 67.5, 70, 80, 80--These felt great and I was getting my shoulders locked in and getting under and around the bar.

Back Squats--1x3@100, 110, 120, 130, 140--My knees were making little noises until I locked everything in and had perfect technique. All reps were ass to grass and without any equipment.

I had a lovely swim and stretch after.

Edited by kinselbj

A grip workout tonight. I did the following with both hands:

3X5 with Trainer

2x3 no set with #1 followed by 2 ccs singles.

1x1 ccs with #2

2x1 ccs with #2.5--just missed it with the left by around 2mm. Second rep with the left I closed it ccs for a new PR which I am really happy about. I was wanting to get that for ages and tonight I finally got it. I tried an mms with the #3 afterwards but I missed it by a good 3/4 mm.

With the right hand:

2x1 ccs with #3--missed it badly. Time to bring out the chalk. Second rep I missed by around 3mm and third rep I missed by the same again. Not a very strong night tonight with the right.

I rested up for half an hour and did the following:

1x1 with #2--not too hot

1x1 with #3--ccs with right and mms with left--First rep with right I missed by 3mm and the same on the rep after. With the left I was out by around 2 mm. I will mms the #3 with the left very soon. Now I have to re-set my aims which is always nice.

I had a de-loading session in the gym tonight.

Comprehensive warm up with pnf for groin/hip

Overhead Squats--5x5

Drop Snatches--1x3@bar, 40, 50

Snatch Combo (I Hang PS+1 PS+FS)--1x3@55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 77

Jerk behind neck--1x3@70, 75, 80 1x2@85, 90, 95, 100--This was great. I was really working on getting a shorter more explosive dip as well as actively pushing up and locking myself in and under the jerk. The weight was very light but I was really happy with my technique which continues to improve.

Hanging Straight Leg Raises to parallel-3x10

I had a nice swim and stretch and sauna after so I feel great now. I am having a session on Thursday where I am going for 105kg in the Snatch. I have to get this, I simply must do it. I will make sure I am mentally prepared and I know I have the strength and technique to get it. I most certainly have the balls to give it everything so I can't wait. After Thursday I will writing in my new PR of 105kg, so till then...

A very short gripper session after a 45minute stretch in the pool followed by a sauna and steam room with cold showers in between.

1x3 with #1

1x1 with #2

1x1 with #3--I did three single attempts with the #3 with the left and missed all by about 2/3mm

1x3 with #3.5--With the right and got them to just within parallel. I want to shake things up a bit with the hands, and make them work harder.

Tomorrow I will snatch 105kg for a new PR. I must do this and I cannot imagine not getting it.

My session tonight did not go as planned but it was still very worthwhile as I learned a lot. I did the following:

Overhead squats--4x5

Drop Snatches--1x3@bar, 40, 40, 40--I need to work on getting my feet more silent.

1 Hang Power Snatch+ 1 Full Snatch--50, 60, 67

Single Snatch--1x1@75, 82.5, 89, 93, 97, 101, I then missed 103 on three attempts which was very frustrating. Upon watching the video I had the bar easily high enough but I was swinging back and thrusting my hips through the bar rather than extending up. This caused my feet to go back in turn and therefore not make the catch despite the bar being more than high enough. I wanted to snatch 105 kg by today but I will get a second chance on Sunday. I know I will learn from this and get both 103 and 105 on Sunday and I am really looking forward to the session.

Jerk Dips--2x3@50

Jerk Catch--1x3@50

2 Cleans +1 Jerk--1x2@70

Clean and Jerk--1x1@90, 100, 107, 115 which I missed because of a slow clean. I got it very easily on the second attempt. 119 I missed because of an atrocious jerk. I dipped forward and far too slowly and missed it completely despite it being a light weight. I got it right on the second attempt. 122, 125--This was my best clean and jerk of the night so I was happy with this. My coach gave me 126 but I missed this twice because of fatigue and possibly a lack of motivation with the 1kg increase.

Overall, I got a 1kg PR in the snatch which should have been more and I got a 4kg increase in the Clean and Jerk. I am getting there and learning all the time.

I had two sessions today in a squad session. I was disappointed, but for a bad day technique wise, I still did well.

Session 1: A comprehensive warm up felt great and got rid of any stiffness at all.

Overhead Squat--4x5

Drop Snatch--1x3@bar, 40, 40, 50

1 Hang Snatch + 1 Full Snatch--1x2@60, 70, 80

Single Snatch--1x1@85x3--My last snatch was my best and I was feeling good.

Session 2: Another good warm up and again, I felt good.

I did a few sets of overhead squats and drop snatches.

1 Hang Snatch + 1 Full Snatch--1x2@50, 60

Single Snatch--1x1@70, 80, 87 which I missed behind for the first time and I got it second, 94, I then missed 97 twice in front despite it being light. This was quite frustrating and I was not feeling technically smooth. I got 97 a third time and the got 100. I then got 102 for a PR but it was not pretty at all. Poor technique but I got the lift anyway. I then missed 104 three times in front. My first pull was all wrong and it then put my second pull out of kilter which got the bar too far out in front of me. I really wanted to snatch 105 today but I was not up to it. For a day when I was technically poor, I still got a PR so it was not that bad.

Back Squats--1x3@70, 110, 120, 130 1x1@140, 150, 160

Glute Ham Raise--I could do these for the first time which was nice--3x5

I have another chance on Thursday and next Saturday to go heavy so I will take advantage of that and get my 105kg Snatch

I had a good session today. I was tired from work but my gym session energised me and I improved on technique a bit also.

Overhead Squats--5x5

Drop Snatches--1x3@40, 50, 55, 60, 65--I am working on making less noise with my feet in order to get my muscles more pliable for the catch.

Snatch Combo (1 HPS/ 1PS/ S)--1x3@65, 70, 75X3

Single Power Snatch--2x1@75--I was really working on extending up and letting the scoop happen naturally, rather than force it. This felt faster and more natural than before. I was also focusing on keeping my back locked and my elbows out throughout the pull.

Jerk Skill Drills--I was working on my weight distribution and turning the left foot and ankle in a bit to get it more in line.

1 Power Clean+1 Front Squat+1 Jerk--1x3@70, 80, 90, 100, 105, 110X3--I missed the last two jerks due to fatigue and not being fast enough in my dip in the jerk. I should have made it either way but I was sloppy due to fatigue. I was working on a shallower dip and quicker reflex on the drive up.

Single Clean and Jerk--1x1@115--I got a really solid single here and the jerk was really explosive to the extent that it surprised me with how it shot up.

I was happy with today and I finished off with a jacuzzi and steam room to boot. M,y main goal is sorting out my pull in the snatch by letting the scoop happen naturally and having an inline pull from the ground. With the jerk I need a shorter more explosive dip and drive. Slowly but surely I am getting there.

i am glad u improving your previous records!

jacuzzi its a good reward for all your dedication!

go for broke Barry!

i am glad u improving your previous records!

jacuzzi its a good reward for all your dedication!

go for broke Barry!

Thanks Hugo. I need to have another record breaking session on Saturday so hopefully I will get it.

I was in the gym today and am totally knackered so just did a short session:

Overhead Squats--4x5

Drop Snatches--1x3@BAR, 50, 50, 55

Snatch--1x2@60, 70 1x1@75, 80, 86x7--I was focusing on staying over the bar without sticking my ass up to early amd also letting the scoop occur naturally. My last two snatches were my best.

I left it at that because my left thumb and elbow were hurting me--My body is clearly not used to all this snatching! I have four sessions on the Saturday so my batteries need to be recharged for then. Only ten days before my first competition. I am getting there bit by bit.

I had a massive day today. I had three sessions between 10 in the morning and 4 in the afternoon and I got PR's in both the snatch and the clean and jerk.

Session 1: This was a pwer snatch and power clean session to get the body firing.

Overhead Squats--5x5

Drop Snatches--1x3@bar, 30, 40, 50, 60

Power Snatch--1x2@60, 70 1x1@75, 80, 84, 87, 90--These were all very high and fast, so I was happy with them.

Power Clean--1x3@60 1x2@70 1x1@80, 90, 100, 105, 110, 115--I grazed my neck on this one because I dropped a bit too much and then I squat cleaned 118 nicely to finish the session.

Session 2: This was a technical session for snatch and jerk skill work.

Overhead Squats--4x5

Drop Snatches--1x3@bar, 40, 50, 60 1x2@65, 70 1x1@75

1 Hang Snatch+1 Full Snatch--1x2@60, 70, 75

Full Snatch--1x1@80, 85, 85

Jerk Dips--2x3@bar and 50

Jerk Catches--2x3@50

Jerk--1x3@70 1x2@80 1x1@90, 100

I was pretty tired after this second session but I had a good lunch and had one caffeine tablet and I was fine for the third and last session.

Session 3: This was going all out in the Snatch and Clean and Jerk.

Overhead Squats--4x5

Drop Snatches--1x3@bar, bar, 40, 50

1 Hang+1 Full Snatch--1x2@50, 60, 70

Snatch--1x1@75, 80, 84, 90, 92--I missed this twice because I simply was not pulling hard enough--93, 96--I missed this and then got 97, 99, 100, 102, 103, 104, I then missed 105 twice. The first time I didn't extend up enough and dropped too early. On the second I really tried to extend up but I pulled too far back and just missed it out front. I still got a 2kg PR so I was happy enough.

Jerk Skill Drills

Clean and Jerk--1x2@70, 80 1x1@90, 100, 110, 120, 125, 127, 129, I then cleaned 130 and locked out the jerk but it was slightly too far out in front of me so I had to go running for it and just missed. So close but I will get it next week in the competition. I got a 4kg PR so I was happy again.

All in all I was happy with the session. I am pretty tired and sore now as the day was very demanding. I was aiming for 105/130 but I still got 104/129. In my competition next Saturday I am aiming to get the 105/130 I so desperately want. Being fresher I think I will get it as well.

Nice PR's! :D

Thanks Neetop, I hope your lifting is going well. I played a game of soccer and I hurt my foot. It is bruised slightly which means I could not train in the gym tonight which was annoying, but it also means that I will be fully rested for my competition on Saturday. Sometimes injuries can be a blessing.

I did a little gripper workout tonight. I could only work my right hand because my thumb is still sore from all the snatching I have been doing lately. I wrapped my thumbs last Saturday and that definitely helped.

2x5 with Trainer

2x3 with #1

1x2 with #2 1x1 with #2

1x1 with #2.5

3x1 with #3 all done ccs. Missed first by around 4 mm. On the second I missed by around 3mm. On the third I missed by ever so slightly less.

1x1 with #3.5--got it to slightly within parallel and I felt stronger on it than before. I figure I need to do more work on the #3.5 to help my strength in order to ccs the #3.

Until I start to give my grippers a little more priority I won't make the little but large jump of closing the #3 with a ccs set. I am enjoying the training, however brief it is, and I am more than happy with where I am with the grippers with the amount of training I have done. On a side note, I need to lose 1.5kg of body fat before Saturday so I am eating less starchy carbs and none in the evenings and after. My inability to train for the nest day or two because of my foot may affect this, but it should not be too bad.

congrats Barry for all your effort to close your #3 from ccs!

why dont u put your #3.5 on a choker and try to close it from this position? will add 2 cents to your speed and last part of the repetition .. after some work with choker .. u will kill your #3 from (ccs)!

congrats Barry for all your effort to close your #3 from ccs!

why dont u put your #3.5 on a choker and try to close it from this position? will add 2 cents to your speed and last part of the repetition .. after some work with choker .. u will kill your #3 from (ccs)!

I am going to try this. I have a choker but I am not sure how to put it on as I will have no one to help. Also what width would you recommend? My weightlifting competition is on Saturday so I will leave out any gripper work till after then. Any advise you could give would be great.

Had a shocker in the gym today. I am obviously still very cns depleted from Saturday.

Overhead Squats--5x5

Drop Snatches--1x3@bar, 40, 50, 60

Snatch--1x2@65, 70, 75, 80, 80, 80--I missed one of them and I knew it was not going well. Everything felt weird and I felt like losing my temper. I did one good rep and I left it at that.

Jerk Dips

Jerk Behind Neck--1x3@60, 70, 80, 1x2@90, 95 1x1@100, 105x3--These were pretty good for getting into the right position.

I should have done some ab work but I was really tired so I had two bouts of the sauna with cold showers in between and left it at that. I have training tomorrow, so hopefully that session will have rid me of my fatigue. Thankfully my foot is feeling better.

Barry : choker works better around the handles.

Pick 15/20 cm of tape and use around the upper part of each handles, then close the gripper with the help of your leg and put the adjustable choker , if u squeeze during the process u can adjust it.. i recommend to put around 2 cm for start or less (1.5 cm),. for me it doesnt make much difference. u can adjust thechoker first then squeeze the gripper and put the choker at the paralell position.

good luck:-)

go to Temmu's log he made a great article about this.

Edited by ewokhugo

Thanks Hugo, I obviously need a new choker because mine did not fit. I will get that next week. On another note, I had another shocker of a session in the gym today. Like yesterday I was completely cns depleted and nothing felt smooth or right. I have tomorrow and Friday off with a massage tomorrow to boot. This means I should be completely recovered for my competition on Saturday.

Overhead Squats--4x5

Drop Snatches--1x3@40, 40, 50, 55

1 Hang+1 Full Snatch--1x2@60, 65, 70

Snatch--1x1@75, 80, 84, 87.5--I missed this due to not pulling hard enough at all and not working to save the lift. I then missed 90 for the same reason and then I got 90 very easily but very sloppily. My coach told me to call it a day with the snatch so that I did.

Power Clean and Jerk--1x1@70, 90, 100, 110-- my recovery was all over the place in the jerk but the weight was light and I was off, so it was more frustration with the session rather than just the clean and jerk.

I had three ten minute bouts of the sauna and I felt pretty good after these. Just looking forward to my massage tomorrow.

I got back from my first weightlifting competition today and I am happy with my results. I wanted to get 105kg in the snatch and 130 in the clean and jerk and I nailed them along with my other four lifts. I lifted in the 94kg class and weighed in at 93.5kg. The adrenaline was flowing and I purposely stayed as relaxed as possible because, with the adrenaline, if I get psyched up I will alter my pulling style and change the bar trajectory like I have a few times. I have learned from my mistakes and it showed yesterday. Anyway, here was my