Gripper Training And Strength And Conditioning From Dublin, Ireland

kinselbj

Thanks for the links you posted about snatches in my log. Those were good. I'm going to incorporate a few snatches into my workout regularly. Thanks for the advice. Your goal of a bodyweight snatch is impressive. I can't imagine ever snatching my bodyweight, but we'll see what time brings. I weigh about 240 lbs (or 109 Kg as you would probably say) :D

I hope it helps Drfish, the snatch and my grippers are my favourite strengtheners. The bodyweight snatch is no longer my goal. I got it on Tuesday. A 100kg snatch is now my goal and I am going to get it.

Had a very productive day in work and cycled out to a gym in the centre of Dublin called the Hercules Gym. I have now joined their weightlifting club because I love the sport and it is time to get help from people who have a better understanding of weightlifting than me--like this board for my grippers.

I had a great first session going over techniques with light weights and breaking the movements down using specific exercises.

I then finished off the session with 3 nice sets of 100kg back squats, going ass to grass. As it was my first session we left this nice and light so my legs are not that taxed at all now.

After the squats I performed 4 sets of clapping pull ups, getting an audible clap with half the reps. I need to get used to the movement and trust myself a bit more.

When I came home my hands were fairly beat up from the weightlifting, so I only did 3 sets of tns closes with the #1 and 3 sets with the #2. I could close these with my right but not my left. The gripper just doesn't feel as comfortable in my left hand.

I am quite tired now but still really excited now about my grippers and my weightlifting.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kinselbj

• t-wehner

• CoC#3

• ewokhugo

Top Posters In This Topic

Clapping pull ups, nice. tried them a couple of times, not very good at them at all. nice

good job on the tns as well

take care

Clapping pull ups, nice. tried them a couple of times, not very good at them at all. nice

good job on the tns as well

take care

Thanks T-Dog, the clapping pull ups are a mental thing for me. I have to really trust myself to get the audible clap and then the catch. My next pull up goal that I will play around with is the clapping transfer where you transfer from a pull up to a chin up with a clap in between and then from chin up to pull up. Looking forward to that one. Once I get that a muscle up shouldn't be too hard, not that far away anyway.

I got back from a weekend trip away with my fellow teachers and I surfed for the first time since New Years. It was small but a lot of fun. Although a fair bit of the devil's poison was consumed, I feel refreshed and happy.

More importantly, I got my BR210 in the post on Friday and collected it today.

I warmed up with 3 sets of 3 reps on the trainer and a set of 5 reps on the #1 with both hands. followed by one rep each hand with the #1 again.

I then moved onto the #2 and closed it easily with both hands with a minimal set. I repeated this again and everything was feeling smooth.

I went onto the #2.5 with another minimal set and nailed it with my right, again feeling like I had more to spare. I missed it by half an inch with the left hand, but I felt stronger than previously. I think I will close it with my left hand with the next three weeks.

I rested for a few minutes and whipped out the RB210 with no idea of how it would go. I gave myself the same set as the #2.5--Sam told me to give it a mms set but I wanted to really have a go at it-- and shut the handles firmly. Sweet!!! My first thought was this was no harder than the #2.5 but I subsequently found out it is a bit harder a few minutes later although I still got it. I missed the #2.5 with the left hand three more times and missed it with the right. All in all I am really happy with my Sunday grip session. Next stop, ccsing the #2.5 with the right and closing it with the left!

Nice to see someone from the home country gettin done nice work on the gripper's. Payne family est. 1803 :rock

Nice to see someone from the home country gettin done nice work on the gripper's. Payne family est. 1803 :rock

Always good to hear from people connected to the Irish-nice to know you Big Nasty Payne. Thanks for the encouragement, it is only the start of my gripping journey. My #3 is coming over the next week and then I will see how far I have come in the last two months since I started gripping...

I had a good training day today. I was tired from the weekend but full of enthusiasm. I went to my weightlifting club and did the following:

5 sets of 5 overhead squats with just the olympic bar

30 minutes of technical work on the catch in the snatch and the jerk.

3 sets of 3 hang snatchs, 3 sets of 2--only at 40 and 50 kg to focus on technique.

5 sets of 3 hang cleans--worked up from 60kg to 80kg--light weights but technically better than the previous day.

1x 3--back squats @ 90kg

2x3 @100

3x3 @110--all these sets were maximum depth and ass to grass--I still have more in me but it is my first session with this new coach so we are still taking it easy.

After this I did 4 sets of 3 reps on behind neck press @60kg--felt very tired on this movement--must have been the weekend away.

3 sets of 8 very wide pull ups.

I will have my gripper workout tomorrow. Already looking forward to it.

Always good to hear from people connected to the Irish-nice to know you Big Nasty Payne. Thanks for the encouragement, it is only the start of my gripping journey. My #3 is coming over the next week and then I will see how far I have come in the last two months since I started gripping...

I working hard on #3 myself almost got it closed in a parellel choker Saturday good luck with it. :D

i'm very intrested to see where your at on the #3 as well. you have a very good start with the grippers, and the #3 should fall in short order. keep us posted man.

take care

Well done closing the RB210. you can't be too far off easy #3s now. Keep at it mate.

Thanks Sam. I can feel myself getting stronger on the grippers and more adept technically. I had a good day on the grippers. I did the following:

Both hands:

2 warm up sets of 3 on trainer

2x1 ccs with trainer

2x1 ccs with #1

2x1 ccs with #2--these felt particularly good on the left hand

Left hand:

5x1--Partial set with #2.5--within half an inch of closing, one rep I was within a whisker. I can see the distance closing each week. I am no more than two weeks off with the left.

Right hand:

5x1 ccs with #2.5-- I am so close on this it is almost unbearable. I genuinely felt I would get it today. No more than a week off getting this close.

1x1--partial set of rb210--this felt like a very firm close--the initial part of the close on this gripper is not as hard as the #2.5, but it very soon surpasses it slightly.

I am still following the principals of Ben Edward's article in MILO. His exact routine does not quite suit me but I think he is right when he says you must become adept at the ccs technique. The man knows what he is talking about and he is one to learn form. I find it requires more strength from a static isometric hold to get certified. A partial set with little pause is much easier I find. Anyway, I am still progressing and looking forward to receiving my #3 in the post.

In the gym I was lacking in energy and did not feel very strong. My workout yesterday has obviously taken more out of me than I realised. I did the following:

Press behind neck--1x5 @65kg, 1x3 @70 1x1 @75 but it was very wobbly--couldn't press after this. Very annoying.

Weighted pull ups--1x5 @20kg, 1x5 @24, 1x3 @26+ 28, 1x1 @30

Finished with 8 handstand press ups.

Now I need to decide on my new short term goals, so here goes:

Grippers--Within a month, a ccs with the left hand with the #2.5, the right hand I am not sure. I want to see where I am on the #3 before I make my target.

Bodyweight goals--

Pull ups--15 L-seat pull ups and a clapping transfer from chin up to pull up and vice versa.

Handstand push ups--15. When I get 15 I will raise hands on 2 phone books and go for 15 again.

Weightlifting goals--

Snatch--100kg--currently on 90 with technique that will radically improve over the next month

Clean and Jerk--110--it is my jerk that I need to work on the most. I have never really learned the movement properly.

Grease the Groove--

5 sets a day of 5 L-seat pull ups and 7 handstand push ups--This is without doubt my favourite way to improve--Treat the movement as a skill to become more proficient on, not just stronger.

Edited by kinselbj

I'm interested by the idea of grease the groove training, pull ups and handstand press ups would be a good combination I think. Could even work on grip stuff as well. Do you find you can do this on top of your regular training?

Thanks a lot Ben. Your program is working for me so far. As I said before, I need a bigger warm up than you suggest, but otherwise I mostly follow your guidelines so thanks again for the article :)

I'm interested by the idea of grease the groove training, pull ups and handstand press ups would be a good combination I think. Could even work on grip stuff as well. Do you find you can do this on top of your regular training?

Noob Saibot, I am sure the grease the groove method works for grip stuff also, but I have other goals that are more pressing. I know I will get the #3 in due course, so I want to work on my pushing and pulling strength every day. Read this article by Pavel Tsatsouline: http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/69/

I do this on top of my training, but I have to be careful. You must only perform repetitions without fatiguing yourself. This is how you treat whatever movement you are working on as a skill, not as a strength exercise. So, to answer your question, yes, I grease the groove on top of my training, but not as much when I am training heavy all the time.

Had one of those frustrating days that you hopefully learn from today. I did the following:

Grease the Groove--3 sets of 5 L-seat pull ups and 6 handstand push ups--need to do one more before I go to bed.

Gym:

Warm up with 3x5 overhead squats

3x5 snatch catch drill

5x5 hang snatches with progressing weight

12x1--full snatch--I worked to 85kg and got 2 singles, but my technique lapsed back into bad habits and instead of breaking down my weight again, I went for 87.5 and later 90kg and missed because the bar was an inch too far front of me. I was hitting it out too much with my hips. This weight is not a problem, it was my technique.

4x3 ass to grass back squats--100, 110, 120, 120--These felt nice--I know I still have a bit more in me.

4x3--glute ham raise--I am shocking at this exercise--uh oh.

Grippers--I couldn't help bringing them to the gym with me. I was cranking out singles with the trainer, #1 and #2 in between sets of snatches, but I wasn't feeling it today so I left it. Snatches are very cns demanding and my hands felt very fatigued doing closes after them. I must try this after a set of squats when I am fresh.

Lessons learned today:

1. I must stop being an idiot and letting my ego rule my session--if my technique breaks down, fix it. Don't go up in weight you plonker :blink

2. My bad days on the snatch are getting better. The only other time I snatched 85 was the day I got my PR.

3. I am very weak on the glute ham raise and I need to improve this pronto. When I am in a gym that does not have the device I will do natural glute ham raises instead. They are also called hamstring falls. This is a critical area to develop now that I am squatting more again. I must stay structurally balanced on the injury monster will come and get me.

Ok, had a day today where I am forced to apply the lessons I should have learned from yesterday. It began funnily and ended annoyingly.

AM workout 7am: Hill sprints--6 singles with 2 mins between--working on speed repeatability. My girlfriend did these with me, but I couldn't enjoy them because I needed to go to the toilet as soon as I started and there was nowhere to go. Very irritating but I did them anyway. I would have done ten if I was in proper order.

Grease the groove:4 sets of 5 L-seat pull ups and 6 handstand push ups so far with one to go before I go to bed.

Grippers: I warmed up with a few sets on the trainer and the #1. Felt pretty good and in the groove. As soon as I went up to the #2 with left, I just didn't feel in the groove at all but after one or two misses I got it. It was no problem with the right hand.

I went on to the #2.5 but my top level strength simply wasn't there. I tried three times or so but I couldn't close the thing which is the first time I haven't closed it in the last week and a half. This was very annoying.

So, I tried to learn from the previous day. My strength and technique was not feeling up to scratch so I went back down to my #2 for reps with both hand.

1st set--1 3/4 with left, 6 with right.

2nd set--2 with left hand and 7 with the right--these are an improvement on the last time I repped out so I will take and leave it at that. Patience is a key virtue... :angry:

I had a busy day and I flew out to the gym from work. I did the following:

3x 5 overhead squats

3x5 squat catches

4x3 hang snatches--again keeping it very light and working on technique. I am trying to keep the bar as close to my centre of gravity as possible and stop bumping the bar off the tops of my thighs.

Started to work on the jerk but I felt a pinch in my shoulder so I left it.

Hang cleans--again, keeping it light. 1 x3 @ 70kg, 3x3 80kg

Back squats--1x3 @80, 90, 100, 110, 120, 127.5--all these sets were ass to grass and they felt great. I still have a little more in me.

Pull ups with as wide a grip as my frame will allow--I like these and did 1x8, 2x6

Window Wipers--I saw Smitty do these on youtube and had to try them. They are an incredible movement. They rip your abs and abliques up. I am converted. 3x6

Dragon Flags--3x3--I love these. I can almost get them down to parallel.

I tried a spot of bench pressing for the first time in months but my other shoulder started to pinch. What is going on? They should be fine for Monday.

Grease the groove--I only did one set of 5 L-seat pull ups and 5 handstand push ups. I was a busy boy and I made up for it in the gym.

When I got home from the gym I finally came home to my brand new #3 delivered. I can barely restrain myself from ripping it out and giving it a bash but my hands are wrecked form the gym and I don't want to sell myself outrageously short so I will be patient and give it a proper crack tomorrow after I open it. I AM REALLY LOOKING FORWARD to my gripper workout tomorrow. Once I get the #3 to parallel I will be happy.

i think i read that the really wide grip pullups put unnecessary strain on the shoulder joint

It is only the second time I have done them and they felt fine. Just trying to add a little bit of variety into the pull up routines. I will steer clear of ridiculously wide ones from now, thanks for the advice. ;)

Well, I couldn't help myself and I had to have a gripper session today. This has been my first week with my new weightlifting coach and my grip has felt pretty fried from the weightlifting on top of my regular pull up grease the grooves. Enough excuses, this is what I did this morning:

3x3 with trainer

4x1 with #1

2x2 with #2--missed first one with the left

2x1 with #2.5--missed by a whisker with both in the right and about half an inch with the left

3x1 with new #3--got slightly within parallel with the right on first, a bit closer on second. With left, got to parallel both times. On my third set, my right was fried but funnily my left got the handles to the same distance as my right. It felt technically better than the right which is not how it felt over the last week. Unusual.

I knew I was not at the races when I didn't get the #2.5 but I had to give the #3 a bash. I think it will take me a few weeks to adapt to the weightlifting and pull ups and grip strength workouts--I need to plan my gripper sessions more carefully than before because more is being demanded of my grip than previously. I have plenty of hard work ahead but I will get the #3 closed before the end of the summer. I have complete faith in my ability to work hard and learn/steal ideas from everyone on the board so that my training is as intelligent as possible.

Hard work+intelligent training=improvement. I thrive on having a goal like this and now that I actually have my #3, I can plan a properly. I am going to stick with Ben's program properly except that on gripper goal day I will not ccs, but rather give myself a small set and use all my strength possible. Another benefit of getting my #3 is that it will speed up my progress with the #2.5 with my left. I will start to post some videos so that all the gentlemen on the board can advise. I have a lot of work to do, thankfully I can't wait to get started on Monday!

hopefully we are both closing the thing by the end of the summer.

as for the planning workouts carefully, its tricky. one thing to remember is that the hands and forearms feed off the same recovery table as the rest of the body. beat your body up, and the hands won't recover as fast. try to plan your grip work into the regular work outs. don't have to nescessarily do them at the same time or part of the day. (ie. know what your gym work is going to be, then figure how your hands will be affected, then plan your grip work out) i still have a problem doing this, and get ticked off when my grip work is crud for the day.

Contrast baths help with soreness, and hands feeling better quicker.

stuff ya already know, sorry

take care and good lifting

hopefully we are both closing the thing by the end of the summer.

as for the planning workouts carefully, its tricky. one thing to remember is that the hands and forearms feed off the same recovery table as the rest of the body. beat your body up, and the hands won't recover as fast. try to plan your grip work into the regular work outs. don't have to nescessarily do them at the same time or part of the day. (ie. know what your gym work is going to be, then figure how your hands will be affected, then plan your grip work out) i still have a problem doing this, and get ticked off when my grip work is crud for the day.

Contrast baths help with soreness, and hands feeling better quicker.

stuff ya already know, sorry

take care and good lifting

Thanks T-Dog, , there is no hopefully. We are getting it and that is that. I don't mind having a bad day once my bad days keeping improving no matter how small it may be. Thanks for the advice, I am going to have to sit down and write out my weekly plan. It will help organise me and I can get all your help hopefully :rolleyes

I had a gripper workout today. I did the following:

2x 3 with trainer

3x1 with trainer--ccs

2x1 with #1--ccs

2x2 with #2--ccs

3x1 with #2.5--no set--a whisker away with the right and half an inch with the left

1x1 with RB210--missed by 2/3 mm. Not sure if this is harder than #2.5

3x1 with #3--I am a few mm within an inch now with the right and an inch with the left. Both are within parallel so that is ok.

Warm down--2x3 with trainer

I feel more comfortable with the #3 than yesterday so although I didn't close the #2.5 which is disappointing, I don't really mind. I have a hard few weeks training ahead of me so my body and grip is going to have to adapt to being more fatigued. If this means I won't be as fresh I will have to take it on the chin and just get on with it.

I am weightlifting tomorrow, Wednesday and Friday so I will leave the grippers on those days.

This was my goal gripper day so I will do my technique focus day on Tuesday and my strength focus day on Thursday. I have to be patient and work with schedule :dry

I only realised something today and this is something I hope any of the gentlemen on the board can help me with. I have never used the dog leg of the gripper. I have only just realised one side is slightly straighter than the other. What kind of difference does this make and am I actually understanding what a dog leg in a gripper is? Please help :inno

Had a great day in the gym. I was full of beans and I knew I was going to have a good session:

Warm up

4x5 overhead squats

3x3 behind neck snatch catches focusing on descent speed

Snatch

6x3 hang snatches working up to 2x3 of 70kg--still not a heavy weight but technically I am improving. Missed first rep because I initiated 2nd pull too far away from the body and I caught it too far forward. Thankfully I learned from it.

Jerk

3x3 jerk positioning drill

3x3 dynamic jerk positioning drill

3x3 dynamic split jerk drill--all light weights because my shoulders find the jerk more stressful than the snatches and I need to slowly get them used to the movement. Also, I am working on technique only.

Back squat--reps of 3 on 70x2, 90, 100, 110, 3x3 @120kg--as always ass to grass. I felt really strong on these and my third set was my best because I focused on keeping everything tight and being more mechanically aware on my reps. I could have kept going but my coach kept me in rein. He is definitely smarter than me and will stop me burning myself out.

Finished my session with little full body workout:

3x8 wide grip pull ups--but not as wide as before on the advice of egg uk

3x6 window wipers--love this movement. Instead of progressing in reps I want to have tighter and perfectly controlled form

1 max neutral grip chins--only got 11--was knackered from lifting and wide pull ups

2x3 behind neck barbell press--1x5@60, 1x3 @70, 1x1 @70--too tired for last set

Dragon flags--3x3--I love these so much

Finished off with PNF stretching for the hip flexers

I really enjoyed this session today and am really looking forward to Wednesday already.

I only greased the groove twice today with 6 L-seat pull ups and 7 handstand push ups.

Looking forward to my gripper session tomorrow

Just a quick addition to todays workout:

After my max set of neutral grip chins I performed 3x5 of natural glute ham raise with my training partner holding my ankles.

I have also decided to lose 5 kilos from 90 to 85 as a sort of personal experiment. I am going to go on a hardcore eating regime--don't want to say diet--for two weeks instead of a month long slog. I am impatient in matters like these.

Only a grease the groove series and a gripper session today.

Grease the groove--4 sets of 6 L-seat pull ups and 7 handstand push ups--one set to do before bed

Grippers technique focus day--new PR which is always welcoming

Warm up--2x3 with trainer

2x1with trainer--ccs

3x1 with #1--ccs

3x1 with #2-ccs--these felt particularly comfortable with the left

1x1 with RB210--ccs--got it with the right which is a new ccs PR--about half an inch with left

4x1 with #2.5 with right hand ccs--impossible to be closer with the right--can only be 1mm away. Third rep was 3mm away and fourth was 4/5mm away.

4x1 with RB210 with left ccs--around half an inch which is an improvement again and then I got it closer again. Got a mm away on each succeeding rep

Warm down with 3x3 with trainer

The day's rest left me feeling strong. I am laughably close to the ccs of my #2.5 with my right hand. I will get it next week once I stay patient and don't try to get it in too fatigued a state. My RB210 definitely feels a bit easier than my #2.5 but it will be a nice training tool for my left hand in particular. I need to consistently pay attention to which side has the dogleg because on some attempts the grippers feel more awkward and I think this is because the dogleg is on the wrong side. I will become more attentive with each workout.

Again, I changed Ben's program around slightly because I can recover faster, but I am sticking to his guidelines. Really looking forward to getting a go of my #3 on Thursday with my goal gripper day. I am going to try and record my attempts so I can get technical feedback from everyone on the board. My phone is terrible so I will have to use my camera instead. Isn't it great when you are already looking forward to your next session as you finish your last one?