Gripper Training And Strength And Conditioning From Dublin, Ireland

kinselbj

I was in the gym today olympic lifting but I have had a few strength and conditioning epiphanies which I shall relate later.

Warm up

4x5 overhead squats--just olympic bar

3x3 snatch catches--with bar

1x3 snatch catches--with 40kg

Hang snatches--1x3 @50, 60, 65, 70, 75, 75--These felt good once I focused on keeping the bar close to the body and initiating a powerful second pull.

Jerk technique--

3x5 basic foot placement drill

3x5 jerk drop--40 kg

1x5 split jerk--40kg

Hang cleans--

1x3@ 60, 70, 75, 80, 85, 85--These also felt nice and smooth. Still not carrying the pelvis through enough while maintaining a straight body position, but it is slowly getting better.

Squats--I did one set and my right knee--which I could feel all the way through my snatches and after my session on Monday--was feeling slightly disjointed and weak. I tried parallel squats but even they didn't feel right so I left the squats out.

Strict behind neck press--

1x5 @60

1x3@70

1x1 @75

1x6@60--Looking at other peoples videos on youtube, they call a push press--where you use your legs--an overhead press. I always thought the overhead press was a strict shoulder press without use of the legs to initiate the movement.

Weighted chin ups--did these for a change

1x3@22, 26, 28, 34, and only got 2 reps with the 38kg dumbell. I enjoyed the change today.

Window wipers--3x6

Dragon Flags--1x3--after my first set I was zonked so I left it at that.

Things learned today:

1. L-seat pull ups do not feel comfortable with my shoulders so I am going to switch to L-seat chin ups to see if they are smoother.

2. I have focused to much on pull ups and not varied them enough with chin ups.

3. My hip problem is not better and I think it may have affected my knee. I am ringing my team physio tonight and organising an appointment. The sports massages did not do the trick.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kinselbj

• t-wehner

• CoC#3

• ewokhugo

Top Posters In This Topic

my friend:

in my book u are already "one great strenght athlete":-)

Edited by ewokhugo

my friend:

in my book u are already "one great strenght athlete":-)

Cheers Hugo, but I know I have a long way to go in my chosen disciplines of grippers, weightlifting and bodyweight training. The brilliant thing is I have so many people to look up to on this board! I love learning off deadlifting freaks like Natural Strength aka Rex and guys like Ivarboneless and Teemu, T-Dod and Egg and all these guys. I love training and improving and from your posts on this board, you do too.

:rock i must learn the "sky" its the limit!

there's always room for improvement!

Edited by ewokhugo

:rock i must learn the "sky" its the limit!

there's always room for improvement!

Very true Hugo. That's what we all need ;)

I was hungover after celebrating my sixth form pupil's graduation with a few of the fellow teachers and our pupils. I am still hungover and lacking in sleep but I had my gripper session anyway. I did the following:

Warm up

3x3 with trainer All sets were with an average set

2x1 with trainer

2x1 with #1

2x1 with #2

RB210--1x1--nice firm close with the right, within half an inch with the left

1x1 with #2.5--nailed it shut with the right and got around 3 mm away with the left

1x1 with the #3--to about half an inch maybe--not sure how much exactly. With the left I got to slightly within parallel

1x1 with #2.5--ccc--around 2mm short with the right and half an inch with the left

Please have a look at my first video and help me with my technique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luXr_faBW_E

Edited by kinselbj

Had a weightlifting session today and I did the following:

Warm up--

5x5 overhead squats with just the bar

3x5 snatch drop catches

Hang snatches 5x3 @ 40, 50, 55, 60, 65--2x2 @70kg

Dipping jerks--3x3 with 50

Split jerk catch--3x3 with 50--again still keeping it very light with the jerks to learn solid technique

Front squats--all ass to grass--3 reps on 70, 80,90,100,110,115--new PR--This is the first time I have done deep front squats with heavier weights so we did not push the envelope too much. On nearly every set my third rep was the best. It was like I was learning from the first two and even though I was more fatigued for the third, it went up a lot smoother.

Behind neck barbell press--strict style with no leg involvement--1x5 @60, 1x3 @70, 1x1 @75, 9x1 @60

Wide Grip Weighted Pull Ups--again I listened to Egg and did not go as wide as before. 3x3 with an additional 25 kg

Dragon Flags--2x3

My hip and knee felt far better today than on Wednesday which was good. I have an appointment with the physio for Tuesday so hopefully I can sort out my hip problem that has been with me for the last few months. My right shoulder is stopping me from bench pressing but this is a good thing because it helps me work on my overhead pressing.

On a side note I am attending an Alexander Technique workshop tomorrow and Sunday and I am really looking forward to learning all about movement efficiency, body awareness and postural allignment. I will post some of the things I learn and they may help people on the board. I am also really looking forward to my gripper session tomorrow.

I had my Alexander Technique workshop this weekend and not only was it intense, but it was also tiring because of the early mornings and constant concentration. It began at nine am and finished at six pm. It was absolutely fascinating though and contends that to express out true potential you must consciously think about how to move efficiently and be able to change your perception of your ideas which can in turn change your movements and thus your potential. Without a doubt I shall study the technique further.

Anyway, I got home absolutely shattered; ate and had a twenty minute nap on the couch. I got a little boost of energy which is now gone. I knew my gripper workout wouldn't be pretty because my hands felt stiff and I was really tired. Anyway this is what I did:

Warm up with both hands

3x3 with trainer

2x1 with #1

2x1 with #2

1x1 with RB210--got it just about with the right and missed badly with the left

1x1 with #3--got it to about half an inch with the right and parallel with the left--These attempts were terrible.

1x1 with #2.5--got it with the right and missed it by three or four mm with left

1x1 with #3--missed by 6mm with right and parallel with left

I should not have bothered to try heavy closes tonight. I should have just had a technique focused workout. At least I got the #2.5 so it was a good bad day I watched the John Eaton video again and tried to find the sweet spot but I need a lot more practice. Tonight was not the night to go for a max, so I will go to the gym and on Tuesday, or maybe tomorrow, think out my gripper strategy and work on it trying to be as efficient as possible. It is very awkward trying to get the gripper into position for me so this is hindering my progress. More technique is needed along with more sleep!

I was in the gym today and did the following:

5x5--overhead squats

3x5--snatch drop catch

4x3--hang snatch @50, 57.5, 65

4x2--hang snatch @70, 75, 75--last set I got two singles. I was very tired today, still not recovered fully from the weekend so the skill involved in the snatch started to break down.

Front squats to warm up for hang cleans--3x5 @50

Hang cleans--5x3 @ 60, 70, 80, 90, 90

Back squats--45 seconds in between sets and all reps were ass to grass of course--the lack of rest made it tougher than usual. I was tired after I finished!

2x3@ 90, 100

4x2@110, 120, 130, 140--I changed my squating style after the Alexander Technique workshop and my hip and knee feel fine now. Instead of reaching back with my hips first, I am dropping straight down now.

Natural glute ham raise--3x5

Window wipers--2x8, 1x6

Dragon Flags--3x3--outrageously close to parallel now

I was still tired today but I had a great session in the gym and I feel refreshed now. My right shoulder is still catching so I didn't do any upperbody, but I am going to the physio tomorrow so hopefully he can help me. I am really looking forward to my gripper session tomorrow. I will have a technical session and work on all the advice I was given when I posted my #3 attempt video. I won't be able to use chalk in my apartment as Sam suggested, but I will try and follow all the other advise.

Had an enjoyable training day. I did the following:

Grippers--on all sets worked on my technique for setting the gripper with a ccs width minus the cc

3x3 with trainer followed by a 2x2

2x1 with #1

2x2 with #2

Right hand

1x1 with RB210

1x1 with #2.5--this felt very easy and the setting technique helped.

1x1 with #3--felt good today, maybe got it one mm closer than on the video. I am going to close this gripper with this set before the end of June, I just know it.

Left hand

3x1 with RB210--a 1/2mm miss the first rep and each succeeding attempt added one mm.

I could only have a quick gripper session today, I was in a rush to the physio.

Gym--my shoulders were still a little sore but I couldn't help myself.

Weighted Chin ups--Sets of 3 @20kg, 26, 34, 40--only got two reps on this but was an inch away from the third. I want to get 3 reps of 100 pounds or 45 kgs. I will get this soon.

Strict Overhead Press--no leg involvement. 2x3 @60, 70. 1x1 @75, 77.5, 80. This is a PR but it still is not much good so I won't celebrate it just yet. I want to get a bodyweight overhead press and now I am 10 kg away. I will get it.

Window Wipers--1x8, 2x6

Dragon Flags--2x3

My special ab exercise--3x8

I enjoyed today's sessions, so here's to tomorrow's weightlifting.

I am really enjoying my weightlifting in the gym and my gripper workouts at home. Thank God I don't have to struggle to exercise! All my goals shall be reached and it is only a question of when, not if.

Edited by kinselbj

A great day in the gym:

Warm up

5x5 overhead squat

3x5 behind neck snatch catch

Hang snatches--3x3 @50, 60, 65, 70 Reps of 2 @75, 75, 80--got these as two singles; I missed the second rep of my first set and hit another single after around 45 seconds rest. Damn those snatches are tiring :blush

Hang cleans--Reps of 3 @ 70, 70, 80, 85 Reps of 2 @ 90, 95, 100kg--These all felt really strong so I am happy. An eighty kilo hang snatch and a hundred kilo hang clean are personal bests but they don't count yet because I am going to get more as the next few weeks progress. I will only count full lifts from the floor as PBs.

Back Squat--Reps of 3 @ 90, 100, 110, 120 Reps of 2 @ 128, 130, 135, 135, 135--I was tired at this stage but they still felt pretty solid.

I was in a rush so I left my usual core movements out. Overall, a good enjoyable session and slowly but surely my strength is starting to increase. I know in each of my lifts I have more in me so I need to keep improving my technique and my strength.

I had a gripper workout today but I applied some of my lessons learned from previous weeks which was good. I am still very fatigued mentally from marking all my end of term exams but I am also physically fatigued from not enough sleep. I started my warm and recognised that I was not at the races so I decided to simply work on technique and not strength. Today was ccs technique focus day:

Warm up

Trainer--6 singles each hand

#1--3 singles each hand--all ccs

#2--3 singles with left, 2 with right--still trying to get comfortable with setting technique the lads on the board helped me with. Right felt slow but technically ok--all ccs

Rb210--missed an attempt with right badly which was very surprising. This is when I left the strength and worked solely on technique.

#2--3 singles each hand and they felt pretty good.

I then left the grippers for fifteen minutes and decided to try and ccs my #2.5 with the right hand and I got it for the first time which was nice. I am still half an inch away with the left which is very annoying but I will get there. Whenever I am tired or fatigued my left suffers more than my right. Anyway, I am a happy camper and also a very tired one so bonne nuit mes amis.

Great job on your first TNS of the #2.5! The #3 won't be too far behind.

Nice work on the #2.5!

Edited by Teemu I

Great job on your first TNS of the #2.5! The #3 won't be too far behind.

Thanks Ben and Teemu, but I only ccs'd the #2.5, I most certainly did not tns it. It will take a while to do that I'm afraid :blush . I am on holidays from today so it will be great to have loads of energy for all my workouts again so I am able to really push it again. I have a weightlifting session later but I will try the squats and gripper combo that Sam is always advising before my olympic lifts.

its good to know u have a great connection betwen your body-mind :" ...started my warm and recognised that I was not at the races so I decided to simply work on technique and not strength."

no doubt u will close a huge gripper soon if u learn the proper technique(mm set) (i am still learning and thats what i do about 90% of the time ...)

ccs of the 2.5, nice.

that was pretty good attempt at the #3 in your video, and it was a wide set too. i gotta work harder at the #3 now. really, thats pretty good, and when you get the final close from that set there, certing will be no problem.

motivated again, gonna do some grippers tomorrow.

take care man

Thanks Hugo and T-Dog,

One of the great things about keeping this training log is that it is easier to apply lessons learned from previous workouts. Anyway, I got into the gym for a quick 55 minute session and couldn't do everything I needed to.

Warm up

Overhead squats--5x5

Snatch Drop Catch--3x5 using bar, 40kg

Hang Snatch--Sets of 3 @ 50, 50, 60, 65 Sets of 2 @70, 75, 75, 75

Front Squats--Sets of three with power clean to get up and all ass to grass @ 50, 50, 70, 80, 90, 100 Sets of 3 from rack @110, 120, 120

A very short but sweet session. I was running late to the airport but I made my flight and I am currently surfing in Cornwall, England which is sweet. Monday will be my next workout.

Are you in Newquay? That's only about an hour and half from where i live. Nice weather this weekend for surfing! Lucky really it's rained non stop for the last 2 weeks.

Are you in Newquay? That's only about an hour and half from where i live. Nice weather this weekend for surfing! Lucky really it's rained non stop for the last 2 weeks.

I got back from Newquay late last night. The weather was glorious and I even got a bit burnt. It would have been brilliant to have a bit more time and try and train with you Sam, but maybe next time. Where do you live?

Had a good day in the gym today.

Warm up

Overhead squats--5x5--flexibility is improving. Depth has never been a problem but width of feet while deep in the hole has been and it is slowly improving.

Snatch drop catches--3x5 with bar, 40kg, 50kg

Hang Snatch--sets of 3 reps @50, 50, 60, 65, Sets of 2 @ 70, 75, 75, 75, 75--Working on technique today rather than increasing the weight. My hip mobility in the bottom catch/overhead squat position is preventing me from spreading my feet more in the transition from second pull to catch. I just need to keep working on the overhead squats in my warm up. I know I have improved in the area because I was more comfortable straddling my surf board than before.

Jerk Technique

Stance drill-3x5 @50kg

Dynamic stance drill--3x3 @50kg

Split jerk drill--3x3 @50

Full jerk--3x3 @60kg--My coach had me working on pure technique on this one because the weight was so light. I was very dynamic but my back foot is going too far back and this is the main thing I need to work on in the jerk.

Front Squats--Sets of 3 @ 70,70, 80, 90, 100, 110, 118, 125, 125, 125--Again, I don't want to call this a PR because I know I can do more in the squat. I was tired by the end of the workout but I still went ass to grass and got them up.

My grippers have been slightly neglected so tomorrow I will have a nice little workout and get a video to see if I have progressed at all. I was frustrated I couldn't give them a bash on Friday or the weekend, but the rest from them has probably done me good. My addiction is still just as strong :happy

Last night I did a quick gripper session and I did the following:

3 sets of 3 with the trainer

1x1 with #1 and 1 set of 8 with left and 12 with right

2x1 with #2

1x1 with RB210--barely missed with left and closed with right hand.

1x1 with #2.5--got it with right hand and missed RB210 with left

1x1 with #3--got it closer than the video I posted a few weeks ago. Not long to go now. I purposely don't want to decrease the setting distance. I want to get it from a ccs type distance and nail it shut.

Have a look at my #2.5 close with the right hand. My setting hand is still not doing enough but it is improving bit by bit. You can't quite read the handle because the writing is so small and my camera is obviously not good enough:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSETFZ-_qac

I also had a go at my new #3.5 and it is laughably hard. I could barely get it to just outside parallel. I know I will get the #3 closed soon, but the #3.5 is a different prospect altogether.

Today I went to the gym and did the following:

Warm up

5x5--overhead squats--gradually trying to increase the width of my foot stance to improve mobility. I am getting there.

3x3--drop snatch catches @ bar, 40, 50kg--getting better at these also.

Hang snatches

Sets of 3 @50, 55, 60

Sets of 2 @ 65, 70, 75, 75, 75, 75, 75, 75kg--It was tough to maintain concentration on all these.

3x3 front squats to warm up for hang cleans @ 60, 70, 70

Hang cleans

Sets of 3 @ 70, 80 Sets of 2 @ 90, 100, 100, 100kg--These felt really comfortable.

Back Squats--all ass to grass

Sets of 3 @ 90, 100, 110, 120

Sets of 2 @ 130, 140, 140, 140, 140--missed my last rep on my last set because of a lapse of concentration. Very annoying :dry

Overall a good session. I am taking weights that I was doing two or three sets of and increasing this to six in the snatch and four in the hang clean and back squat.

I just watched your setting technique. It looks like you set it with only the fingertips of the other hand.

I think you could gain a lot about setting technique if you take a look at Gumpsters setting video:

Btw - it was a nice close!!

An incredible day with the grippers. My friend who is one strong boy trained with me today and I loved having someone to train and compete with. I used chalk for the first time and I watched Gumpster's video to improve my setting and it really helped. My friend messed around with my grippers a few times but never did anything seriously. I ordered him some grippers and he brought them over today for our first session together. I showed him the techniques on Gumpster's videos and we both got PRs. He was thrilled with his left hand which he thought was injured and weak and after a warm up he ccs'd the #2 with both hands. With a #2.5 no set he missed by 2 mm the first time and the second he missed by about 4 mm. He is one powerful boy and will certify with me before the end of the Summer as the first Irish people to officially close the Captain of Crush #3.

I did the following today:

Warm up

4 ccs singles each hand on trainer

2 ccs singles each hand with #1

1 no set and 1 ccs on each hand with #2

1 no set and 1 ccs with the #2.5 on right and RB210 with left. Closed #2.5 easily and got RB210 with a no set left hand close, missed second attempt.

2 no set singles with #3 on both hands--missed by 1 mm with right and a few mm's within parallel with left.

I tried the #3.5 for fun and nearly got it to parallel with the right and just outside parallel with the left.

Here is my ccs of my #2.5--it felt really fast and smooth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPbtphVmjZ0

Here is my #3 attempt--missed it by one mm--impossible to get closer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q97pDhhN_M0

Overall a massive session and watch out for my friend, he is going to destroy the #3. I will get my no set #3 close in the next week. I love having sessions like this. :happy