Gripper Training And Strength And Conditioning From Dublin, Ireland

kinselbj

Great work with the grippers lately. The #3 is yours next time mate.

I live in Paignton, South Devon.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kinselbj

• t-wehner

• CoC#3

• ewokhugo

Top Posters In This Topic

hi mate! already made one post at youtube.

1 mm its nothing , be sure to check diesel crew video about setting the gripper (didnt watch Gumpster´s videos yet). u need to put the right handle 1 cm from the index right finger and use the thumb to your advantage. i think this clos e was much wide than paralell:-) next week will give all i can to close my #3(still 1 mm from it ... no training at all for 3 weeks).

Thanks Hugo and Sam. I am still learning to set. It is a lot easier for my friend because he has massive hands!

Anyway, I had great session in the gym that ended up being around two and a half hours. I did the following:

Warm up--a bit of hip flexibility between sets of overhead squats

Overhead Squats--5x5--increasing the distance of my feet every set--getting better at this.

Snatch drop catches--3x5 @ olympic bar, 40kg, 50kg

Hang Snatches--Sets of 3 @ 50, 50, 60, 65

Sets of 2 @70, 75, 80, 80, 80--missed last rep of last set because I focused on an increasing my foot distance when catching the weight rather than getting my pull first. So I did a single with 80kg and exploded up and it was fast and beautiful.

Jerk Dips--1x5 @45

Jerk Dip Catches--1x5 @45

Split Jerks--1x5 @45, 1x3 @ 55

Full Jerk--Only second time doing this so kept weights very light and really focused on correct technique--1x3 @60, 1x5 @60, 2x3 @60. I need to focus on getting under the weight more which will prevent my back leg from extending too far back. Getting under the bar will also help lock out the shoulders more.

Front Squats--all ass to grass--Sets of 3 @ 70, 80, 90, 100, 110, 100 after a ten minute forced break, 110, 120, 125, 130--I had to really push the last set for a PR. I had to fight all the way in the last two reps.

I really enjoyed this workout, so keep it coming.

dude, that thing is yours. awesome display of strength. keep going. :rock

Had a really fun day in the gym today. But before that I will write down what I got in the grippers yesterday.

I warmed up the usual way

tns closed the #2 with both hands.

I then closed the #2.5 with ease with the right and was 1 mm away from the close with my left which is the closest I have ever gotten. I will get this next gripper session.

I then missed the #3 by around 4mm a few times. I didn't mind because it was around twelve or one in the afternoon and I am never at my strongest at that time.

I then played around with my friend with coin holds with the #1 and got 30 seconds with the left and kept losing concentration with the right which should be my strongest. Anyway, I enjoyed the session with my friend in the sun.

Today in the gym we had a fun session doing whatever we wanted. I am going away for five days with 3 friends a few of us had fun in the gym. Today I was determined to get a double bodyweight deadlift no matter what. I haven't been doing deadlifts at all, but my Olympic lifting obviously helped it.

So I warmed up and singles building up from 100kg, 120, 140, 160. I then nailed my 180kg deadlift for the double bodyweight special so I was happy about that. My deadlifting form was much better from doing all my snatches. My form broke down after 160, but I only cared about getting the weight up. I then said screw 190, I want 200, so I loaded it up but only got it to mid thigh. My hips had risen too fast and my back couldn't get it the whole way up. Oh well, at least I got the 180kg which is 400 pounds.

Then I played around with one armed snatches, but the barr was not a proper weightlifting bar and it didn't feel comfortable. I got 55kg with the right arm comfortably but I missed it twice with the left so I left it at that.

Then I decided I was going to break my clean personal best despite the horrible bar and my lack of technique work that day. I did a warm up set of 70, 55, 90, 100 and then loaded up 110kg and nailed it for a PR. It wasn't pretty and the bar felt horrible but I got it. I missed 115 twice but I was tired at that so I didn't mind.

Then I had a bet that I could get over 17 pull ups and I got 18 locked put pull ups which wasn't a PB but I was happy getting this after all I did that session so far. Fresh, I can beat my PB of 20 even though I haven't done pull ups for the last few weeks.

Then I did box jumps for fun because I was full of energy and I was having fun. I nailed the 42 inch jump after a miss. I then nailed the 45 inch jump after a miss and it felt great. I was still full of beans so I went for a 48 inch jump, missed it twice, but got it on the third go! It was a great feeling and I was well chuffed. I tried a 51 inch jump twice but I was spent. I will upload the video of my 48 inch jump onto my youtube account; it was nice to see it recorded. I may not be one of the freaks on Joe DeFranco's website--his athletes are obscene--but I am improving so I am happy. This is only the second time jumping onto boxes and I really enjoyed it.

I also did a set of windshield wipers--I was mistakenly calling them window wipers-- and mixed in a set of a hanging full leg rotation from left side to right side. No idea what they are called but saw Smitty do them on his youtube video and they fell great. That was it, session over and I really enjoyed it, got 2 personal bests, 3 if you include the box jump and I had good fun with the other lads. One got a PB with a 200kg deadlift and missed the 220 in the same manner I missed the 200kg attempt. The other lad didn't have a good day lifting but he got 21 pull ups which was a personal best. All of us buzzed off each each other and spurred each other on. It is for this reason that I wish grip people trained in Ireland like the way Sam and Mobsterone and a few of those lads train together. People spur each other on and accept no bullshit no matter how tired or grumpy a person is. This is why it is great to train with people you respect and can learn off or at least get competitive with.

Here is a video of my 48 inch box jump--I know it is not relevant to this board, but it shows how having fun in the gym is essential. Teemu said this in his log when he fainted due to over psyching himself and thought how he needed to simply enjoy himself more. I try to learn from Teemu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aymx6K6OCUs

Great session! 110kg is a nice clean.

A 200kg deadlift can't be too far away now mate.

I got back from my five days of debauchery last night, so I went to the gym early and had a very very sheepish workout. My strength level was not the may west and it took me a good while to get warmed up, but it was important to get as many kinks out of the system as possible for my first serious training session on Monday.

Overhead squats--4x5--supersetted this with dynamic hip mobility drill/

Drop snatches--1x5 with bar, 2x5 with 40kg, 1x3 @50, 55

Hang cleans--I did one set and I realised I was goosed so I left it at that.

I am going to go to the gym tomorrow again and mainly work on some flexibility and try and get my co-ordination back for Monday. A light morning workout tomorrow should help.

I am still repairing my gluttonous body and mind so I had a small grip workout tonight. All reps had a set of a ccs distance, sometimes more, sometimes less.

Warmed up on a few sets of 3 reps on the trainer.

I then did a single on the #1 with both hands. I realised that I was holding the gripper too high on the palm of my left hand and as such was not using my pinky which severely limited my strength. Anyway I sorted it out which was nice.

I then randomly decided to find out how many reps I could do with the #1 without burning myself out and I did 16 with the left which was a first and I left it at 16 with the right because I wanted to give the #3 a bash.

I then did a single with the #2 on both hands.

My grip was very ropy on the #2.5 and I missed the first attempt with both hands badly. I then put some chalk on my hands and missed it by around 2/3mm with the left and got it very easily with the right.

So I had another go with the #2.5 with the left and got to around 4 mm, and 5mm the last time.

I had three attempts on the #3 with the right. Missed by around 4mm first time, 2/3mm the next and about 4/5 on the last. I am happy enough with that considering the general state of me. Today is the first time I felt healthy and relatively fit since before I left last Monday morning. I will close the #3 before the end of this week. I simply have to.

After this I got 4 reps with the #2 with my left which is a first again and only four with my right because it was spent. All in all, an enjoyable session and I can't wait to get back to where I was and get far stronger in the gym and with my grippers than before I left to go on holidays. First stop, hill sprints tomorrow morning with my girlfriend and seven am.

I had a really productive training day and I really enjoyed my three sessions. I did the following:

Morning session--Hill sprints--7 sprints with 3 minutes rest between reps--I did these before eating breakfast and I was shockingly wrecked doing them. I was thinking to myself at the time, 'damn Amsterdam!' I did 8 the morning I left with half the rest and I was less fatigued. Anyway, I had a sleep after breakfast and I still felt like crap.

Afternoon session

My friend called over and we had a gripper session together. I definitely needed this and I got a lot of energy just working out with someone and I felt great after my earlier lack of energy. He closed the #2.5 for the first time with a ccs distance set with his right hand and is half an inch away with his left. I did the following:

Warmed up with the trainer for multiple singles and sets of three

2 singles with the #1 with both hands

3 singles with the #2 with both hands

#2.5--I missed the first rep with both hands. The right felt weak and the left was sloppy technique. The 2nd set I closed the #2.5 with my left for a PR with the left and it felt sweet. I couldn't tell if I closed it but my mate said he saw the handles touch so I am a happy bunny. I closed it with the right barely.

The next set I got to within a mm with the left and I thought I was closing the #3 with the right and I slammed the #2.5 shut with obscene ease. It was a little gutting when I quickly realised it was in fact the #2.5.

I missed the #3 by around 2/3mm, 3/4mm and 5/6 mm on the third set

I gave the #3.5 a bash and got it to around 3/4's of an inch and almost parallel with the left.

This was a really enjoyable session. I got the #2.5 close with the left with a ccs distance set, no I only need to ccs it which will take a short while.

Evening session

I went to the gym and had a weightlifting session.

Warm up

Overhead squats--5x5--These felt great and I knew I was going to have a good session

Drop snatches--Sets of 3 @25, 40, 50, 55, 60--I need to get better at these and push the weight up so that I am as comfortable as possible in the bottom position.

Hang Snatches

Sets of 3 @ 50kg, 60, 65--These all felt pretty smooth

Sets of 2 @ 70kg, 75, 80--Again these felt nice and smooth. Feeling strong at this point.

I then put 85kg on the bar and gave it a go. I missed my first five attempts which was outrageously frustrating to say the least. It was struggle to control my language and I didn't always succeed :blush

I finally got the bastard up on my sixth attempt which felt more like revenge then satisfaction. I kept getting the bar high enough and I was getting low enough but I would lose it out front. I was not keeping the bar close enough to me and I fixed for my last attempt. I left it at that with a new hang snatch pb but it doesn't count because the number will go shooting up in the next few weeks.

Jerks

Stabilisation drill--1x5 @60

Drop Jerk--2x3 @60

Split Jerk--2x3 @60

Full jerk--3x3 @60--Thee felt nice and balanced today; I was really getting under the bar instead of getting my hind leg too far back and straight.

Front Squats

Sets of 3 @60, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 110, 120, 130, 135--I only got two reps with 135--I genuinely felt I would grind out the third but I got trapped in the bottom.

Full rotating windshield wipers--3x8

Great 2.5 hour session that I really enjoyed. Bring on tomorrow!

I had another great training day with two sessions.

Morning session--Hill Sprints--8 sprints with 2.5 minutes recovery. I was doing these with two of my friends so it got very competitive and I gave each sprint everything I had. I felt like getting sick after the first five, but I knew I wouldn't so I kept pushing it as hard as I could. I could only eat my bowl of porridge and strawberries half an hour after getting home, but I had a nap after which was great. God bless the holidays!

Evening session--Gym workout

Overhead Squats--5x5--First set was stiff, but I loosened up considerably afterwards.

Front Squats--Sets of 3 @70, 90, 100, 110--Kept these nice and light to concentrate on grippers and help the legs recover from earlier and yesterday.

ss

Grippers--Warm up on T, #1, #2, got #2.5 easily with left, missed #3 three times on right which is feeling very fatigued. Missed ccs of #2.5 on left by 2mm. Will get this very soon.

Bench Press--I am not very good at this movement and have not done it in over two months but I figured my overhead pressing would help it so I went for a one rep max for fun.

Sets of 3 @50, 60, 70, 80kg Sets of 2 @90kg Singles @100, 110. I then missed my first four attempts at 120kg because I was not generating enough tension and force to get past the sticking point because I am not used to the movement. I got an ugly rep on the fifth attempt for a new PR. My old was 115kg. This proves to me that the overhead press is a superior movement because it is better for one's shoulder girdle health and involves more musculature than the bench press, therefore improving the bench press without practicing the actual movement. I want the 90kg bodyweight strict overhead press and I will get it before the end of July. I have 10 kg to go.

Weighted chin ups--My goal is to get 3 reps with 45 kg/100 lbs additional weight.

Sets of 3 @ bw, 20, 30, 45--I only got 2 reps at 45kg but it is a new PR so I will take it. I know I will get this next time I try because I missed my third rep by an inch. I got my chin up to the bar but not over it. Next time...

Hanging full rotation exercise--what is this really called?--3 x6--I love this movement.

Wrist Roller with 12 kg dumbell--First time I tried this and it burns the forearms. I love it!--3 repetitions up and controlled negative. The rubber band holding it had several sticking points that made the exercise hard rather than the weight itself.

All in all, I really enjoyed the workout and the unplanned structure. I want to do this upper body workout twice a week which will complement my 3 olympic lifting workouts and hill sprints really nicely.

In addition, I want to lose body fat because I am hovering between 91 and 92kg bodweight. I am not eating starchy carbs except my porridge in the mprning and it goes without saying I am eating no junk at all or drinking. I will do this for two weeks and see how that goes.

I had a weird session in the gym where I crashed down to earth but then brought it back around again.

Warm up was usual with 5x5 oh squats and drop snatches.

Hang Snatches--Sets of 3 @ 50, 60, 67, 72, but I missed the first and third attempt at this weight which was very unusual.

I then nailed my next set of 2 reps with 72 and 76 and while they felt slow, they were still ok.

I then failed two reps with 80, a retry, and then 70kg!!!--I felt like throwing the bar through the roof I was that frustrated at myself.

What it came down to was I was too cns fatigued to perform snatches at an optimum level. I am also still recovering from the excesses of Amsterdam which did nt help. They require so much more co-ordination, concentration and focus than all other exercise in my opinion. I left the snatches at that on the advice of my coach.

Hang Cleans--Sets of 3 @50, 60, 70KG--These were very light and smooth and so much easier than snatches!

Full cleans--Sets of 2 @70, 70, 80, 85, 85kg--Again, very light but I was working on my transition between first pull and second pull and they felt very smooth and fast which was comforting after my snatch fiasco.

Back Squats--I had no idea what to expect at this point because I was starting to almost have a drunk feeling, but I was determined to end my session on a higher note. As always, these were ass to grass and no belt or wraps of any kind.

Sets of 3 @90, 100, 110, 120, 130, 140--These all felt very good and stable. I asked my coach to let me go for a PR so I could get something positive out of the session and he let me tackle 146kg.

My first attempt bombed out completely. I wasn't even annoyed. Concentration wasn't even there to be a problem.

I gave it a two or three minutes and came back, keeping everything tight and locked in. I nailed my 3 reps and my third was better than my second because I was at a higher mental level for it. Thank God for this set, because I needed it badly. I went home shattered but happy at my resolution.

I was supposed to go to the gym yesterday but I was too wrecked. I was as cns depleted s I have been in a long while. Anyway, I was at a coaching course for 9 hours today so by the time I got home I was pretty tired, but I was dying to do a gripper workout, so this is what I did:

Warm up with 2 sets of 3 on the T and 2 singles with the #1.

I then did 2 singles with the #2 each hand.

I then messed up my set with both hands on my first attempt with the #2.5. My second attempt on the #2.5 resulted in an easy close with both hands.

I then missed 3 singles on each hand with the #3, none closer than 5mm which was annoying, but the left is feeling much more comfortable which is good. The left hand is improving while the right hand has stalled and even regressed slightly.

I then did an overcrush on the #2.5 for the first time with both hands, getting 3 good seconds on the left and a bit more with the right.

I then missed an attempt with the RB210 with both hands, but they were fairly knackered at this stage.

I warmed down with a few reps on the #1.

I will be doing this coaching course from nine am to eight pm tomorrow and then nine to half two on the Sunday so I am not sure when I can fit in time for the gym, but I will see what happens.

Keep going on the 3... This is the important time to keep hammering it. Show your hands whos boss :)

Keep going on the 3... This is the important time to keep hammering it. Show your hands whos boss :)

Thanks Chris. I finished this course and I have (hopefully) learned from last week about pacing myself in my training week so I am looking forward to a productive training block next week.

Today I was still tired and my hands were not feeling very strong so I did some repetitions instead of strength.

I warmed up on three sets of 3 reps on the trainer and a set of singles with the #1.

I then did 16 reps with the #1 with both hands and left a little to spare, particularly with the right hand.

I then did 2 reps on the #2 with the left and 4 with the right. The next set I got 4 with the left and 6 with the right.

That was it for tonight so till the morrow.

I had an enjoyable session in the gym today:

Overhead Squats--5x5--Pretty stiff after my weekend of non activity

Drop snatches--2x5 with just the bar, 2x3 @40kg, 3x3 @50kg--I was sloppy for the first few reps because I wasn't getting my foot positioning right and I wasn't 'reaching up' enough when catching it even though it was a light weight.

Hang Snatches--Sets of 3 @50, 60, 64kg--These felt ok but I lost one or two out front even though it was a light weight and it was flying up.

Sets of 2 @70, 75--missed 1st attempt out front and got the next two after a short rest. On 80kg, I missed the first two attempts out front again even though it was flying up really fast. I got my next two reps on 80kg easily and then missed my next two! Very annoying!

I then went down weight to 75kg to work on technique and missed the first attempt but got the second very easily.

Lesson learned from my snatches: My technique has gone to shit even though my strength and power is good.

Solution: use lower weights and drill the good technique--such as turning my elbows out which will help keep the bar closer to me--I had two weeks ago back into me and make it more ingrained then it was previously. Then, go back up in weight and increase it again.

Jerk Dip--2x5 @40

Jerk Catch--2x5@40

Split Jerk--2x3 @50

Full Jerk--1x5 @ 50, 1x3 @60, 65

Hang Clean--1 x3 @70

Full Clean--1x2 @80, 85, 90, 95kg--Again keeping these nice and light to drill in good technique. These feel very light and smooth so I am happy with these. It is the snatch that will take all the hard work.

Back Squats--All ass to grass and no belt, wraps or any of that lark in sight--1x3@90 1x2 @100 1x1@110, 120, 130, 140, 150, 155, 160, I just missed 165kg, but I will get that on Wednesday or Saturday.

All in all, an great session that I really enjoyed. 2 months ago I was only able to parallel squat one rep @160, and now I can go ass to grass and do it at the end of a relatively hard session. I call that progress! Now I just need to close that beautiful #3 and I will be happier.

I had a good gym session today.

Warmed up with 5x5 of overhead squats and some hip mobility drills. My right hip is still at me and I will ring the physio when he comes back from a rugby tournament tomorrow.

Drop snatches--2x5 with bar, 1x3 @40, 50, 55, 60--I missed the odd one forward because I was not secure in the bottom position. I was not popping the bar straight up dropping straight down to meet the bar. The weight is easy but my movement caused me to miss a few today. I missed an attempt on 65kg.

Hang Snatch--1x3 @50, 60, 1x2 @65, 70, 70kg--These felt nice. particularly when I focused (usually on the second rep) on getting a dynamic second pull keeping the bar close to my chest. I need to get my mental checklist sorted in my head before my first rep and then not think about it at all. I deliberately kept it light because I wanted on work on my technique.

Jerk Dip--2x3 @60

Jerk Catch--2x3@60

Split Jerk--2x3@60

Full Jerk--2x3@65--Again, very light, just wanted to make each lift as smooth as possible.

Strict Overhead Press--1x3@65, 70, 72.5kg--Again, I want to get into the groove with these and not push them to failure and gradually improve.

Back Squat--80% of yesterday so I warmed up on 1x3 @80, 90, 100, 110, 120 and did 3 sets of 3 with 130kg--all ass to grass. My legs felt heavy from yesterday and the weight was not quite as easy as yesterday.

Hanging L-sit twists that Smitty does in his youtube video--1x10, 12,12, 10--I really like these.

Overall, an enjoyable session without pushing it too hard. Really looking forward to tomorrow's session and improving my snatches to where they were before Amsterdam and beyond. I am trying to condition my body to training the olympic lifts at least five days a week.

An enjoyable session in the gym today. I am finally starting to get my groove back with the snatch. I did the following in the gym:

Warm up

Overhead squats 5x5 superset with groin pnf drill and lower back/hip mobility

Drop snatch--1x5 with the bar, bar, 40, 40, 50, 50--Locking the shoulders back allows me to get under the bar more and this--along with looking up--allows me to be more stable in the bottom position. Obviously this will apply in the snatch also.

Hang Snatches--1x3 @50, 50, 60, 64 1x2 @ 64, 67.5, 70, 72.5, 75kg--Again, keeping it very light to train myself back into efficient and smooth technique. Again, the bar is flying up, but I want to be consistently stable and smooth in my lifts.

With my snatch I need to do the following:

I need to keep my elbows flared out which will keep the bar close to my body.

I need to look up at the bottom position and widen my foot stance on the catch

I need to start the second pull with my hamstrings more engaged which will in turn bring the bar farther up and allow a more explosive pull because of the hamstring stretch reflex. At the moment I am jumping up too much rather than getting an explosive snap with my pull.

Full cleans--1x2@ 75, 82.5, 90, 96, 100, 102--My cleans feel very smooth and precise. I am looking forward to getting the same sensation with my snatches. Again I need to snap pull rather than jump too much, keep my elbows flared out, catch with wider feet and I also need to keep my scapula neutral which will keep the bar closer to my body. I cannot allow my scapula to protract completely because the bar will be too far out then.

I had to leave early to play tag rugby so I left without squatting and my legs felt really fresh which was a novelty. I need to keep improving and make my snatch as smooth and controlled as my clean. Learn the lessons Barry, learn them; don't just write them down...

I had a lovely rest day today and I passed my exam for the level one olympic lifting coaching award. I had a pretty hard day yesterday and did the following:

Gripper session-Built up to a comfortable close with the #2.5 but I couldn't ccs it with my left. Missed by around 3mm. My right hand is not getting any closer with the #3 which is very annoying. It has actually slipped back from where it was, back to around 4/5mm away. I have been concentrating on my weightlifting a lot more recently and my grippers have taken a back seat with my max strength on the #3 going nowhere fast. I need to get back to doing a gripper workout before a gym workout and take it from there.

Gym session--This was my fourth day in a row and my joints and leg muscles were aching at this stage

Overhead squats--5x5 supersetted with hip and groin mobility drills

Drop snatches---1x3 with bar, 40, 40, 50, 55

Hang Snatch--1x3 @50, 55, 60 1x2 @65, 70, 75, 80--My coach told me the day before not to go beyond 75 but I was feeling very able and technically smooth so I grabbed the bull by the horns and hang snatched 85kg for a single on my first attempt. It wasn't perfect but I stuck it. Watching my video, I am snatching it up to chin height but my catch is where I need to work on the most. I will have to talk to my coach about this.

Jerk Dip--2x3@60

Jerk Catch--2x3@60

Split Jerk--3x3@60

Full Jerk--1x3@65, 70, 75--by sitting back more on my heels before initiating the jerk my jerk is more balanced and more powerful.

Front Squats--1x3@75, 90, 100, 110, 120, 125, 125, 125kg--All ass to grass and without any aids. Just before my last set I hit the wall but I finished the final three and was completely empty afterwards.

I had a nice swim with a stretch in the pool, a steam room and jacuzzi yesterday and today and my muscles and joints thanked me for it. I am not used to these demanding movements four days in a row. I am buying a pair or recovery compression pants tomorrow to help my legs get over training so I can continue to overload and progress. I need to stay as patient as I am and progress gradually rather than throw max attempts into every workout--unlike the grippers to the same extent which are not as tiring or cns demanding.

Anyway, I am having a double session tomorrow and I am looking forward to it.

Great double workout today--I did the following:

Warm up with overhead squats and hip mobility and groin flexibility

Drop Snatches--3x5 with bar, 3x3 with 40kg--started to simply drop under these rather than push up and drop like I was. Good for speed under bar. This bottom position of my snatch is my weakness so I need to work on it. I have also begun taking my grip in 3/4 inch on each side which makes my first pull on the snatch a hell of a lot easier to keep that back locked.

Hang Snatch--1x3@40, 40, 50, 1x2@ 57, 62, 67, 72, 76, 80, 83kg--missed these two first set because I initiated the pulls with my arms therfore causing poor bar speed and outward momentum. I cured it for the second set and nailed both reps. My best hang snatch double so far and still way below my potential. I also got the physical sensation of having my balance more forward that it was which helped my pulls. By not leaning back, I won't lose my snatches forward like I always do.

Jerk Dip--2x5@40

Jerk Catch--1x5@40

Split Jerk--1x5 @40

Full Jerk--1x3@50, 60, 70, 77, 82, 85--I was clean and jerking these which was nice and although the weight was still very light, my technique continues to improve. Today, for the first time, I had the physical sensation of locking the jerk properly with my shoulders which felt so much more secure. This kind of lock needs to be applied to the snatch also.

We then had a forty minute break after this hour and a half workout and came back for more.

I warmed up with light front squats with the bar for two sets and 50 kg for another one or two.

Hang Clean--1x3@50

Full clean--1x3@60,65 1x2@70, 78, 80, 86, 92, 98, 103, 105, 107--Again, these were relatively tiring but the 107kg double did not feel particularly heavy. Each session my cleans go up so I am happy with them and find them so much easier than the snatches. This is why I get so much more satisfaction from the snatch and when I finally close that damn #3!

Back Squats--My legs and knees were pretty tired at this stage, but I gave it a bash anyway.

1x3@90, 100, 110 1x2@120 1x1@130, 140, 150, 157, 160kg--All complete ass to grass and without a belt or any wraps etc. I took the PR with a smile on face particularly because it was my fifth session of the week and fourth heavy squatting session AND it was at the end of my double workout.

I continue to improve each of my lifts every session so I am happy. I was looking forward to this double session the whole week and can't wait for my gripper session tomorrow!

A gripper workout tonight--Another one to try and get my grip strength back to where it was and then some to close my sweet #3.

I warmed up with 3x3 with Trainer

2x3 with #1 and 2 singles with #1 with both hands.

3x1 with the #2 with both hands

6x1 with #2.5 with both hands--I only closed it twice with my left because my set was too slow and cumbersome. I really need to improve my setting technique and also my ccs technique. Any time I missed it with the left it was by 1/2 mm so I don't mid too much. I got every rep with my right and as with my left, I am trying to improve my setting speed and slam it shut as fast as possible.

5x1 with #2 with both hands to improve my setting and increase my workload. 3 sets were ccs but I am having a problem here.

My main problem with the ccs technique is when I set the gripper and release the pressure a bit to get the required distance, the gripper slips back towards my thumb and also towards my fingertips. Can anyone help me with this?

Are you using chalk?

One thing you could try if you don't already do it is pointing your thumb forward and down as you set, this creates a solid base for the handle. A strong, meaty thumb pad helps with this, so pinching and dynamic thumb work can be beneficial.

Nice workouts by the way, I'm worn out just reading about them!

Are you using chalk?

One thing you could try if you don't already do it is pointing your thumb forward and down as you set, this creates a solid base for the handle. A strong, meaty thumb pad helps with this, so pinching and dynamic thumb work can be beneficial.

Nice workouts by the way, I'm worn out just reading about them!

I wasn't using chalk that particular workout and I think you are right, it is does make a difference. Cheers Noob for the thumb tip, I will give it a try tomorrow for my gripper workout.

I had a really enjoyable session in the gym but my knees have a dull 'I have worked too hard in a movement I am not used to' ache about them. I will have to leave squatting for tomorrow's session.

Warmed up with overhead squats and drop snatches with lots of reps with light weights rather than jumping weights too soon. Technically I was feeling sweet and I tried to progress to full snatches today and they really improved so I am chuffed. I can't wait to start going heavier!

Overhead Squat--5x5

Drop Snatch--1x3@bar, bar, 30, 35, 40, 44

Hang Snatch/Full Snatch combo--1x2 @40, 40, 45, 50, 54, 60, 64, 68, 72, 76, 76, 76, 76, 76, 76kg--My coach kept me with the light weights and although I wanted to go up at the time, he was right. I need to drill the correct technique into my muscles, mind and make the technique as regular as clockwork while still improving. I am very happy with my snatches: they felt very fast, powerful and technically sound. By far my best snatches to date even with the light weights.

Jerk Dip--2x3@50

Jerk Ccatch--2x3@50

Split Jerk--1x3@50

Full Jerk--1x2@60, 67, 74, 80--at this point I stopped power cleaning the weight and used the racks--86, 90, 94--Again, technically improving cleans and my last rep on 94kg was very fast, powerful and technically sound. It was nice to have the weight feel so smooth and effortless.

Back Squat--My legs were still very fatigued so I left it at 80% tonight--1x3@60, 80, 90, 100, 110, 120, 130, 130, 130kg.

Lessons learned in snatch:

1. I am now more able to keep my back locked throughout the first pull and groove my hips and back into the correct position. I must consciously get locked in and keep my head and therefore my spine in neutral at the bottom and throughout.

2. I must keep my balance more forward throughout my first pull AND the transition to the second pull. This, along with keeping my elbows rotated out , will keep the bar closer to me and therefore easier to control in the bottom.

I am really happy with my technical progress in the weightlifting and as it improves, I will be able to make leaps in strength because I know I adapt very quickly. I need to have the same approach in my gripper workouts also. Get more technically astute and the strength will follow.

awesome work man, keep it up. still reading and catching up, but like the variety.

got some hose clamps for the grippers, and experimenting with them for a bit clamped to parralel. nice for a change. Teemu's post got my attention, so i thought what the hey.

take care man

awesome work man, keep it up. still reading and catching up, but like the variety.

got some hose clamps for the grippers, and experimenting with them for a bit clamped to parralel. nice for a change. Teemu's post got my attention, so i thought what the hey.

take care man

Will get myself a hose clamp too T-Dog and follow your lead. I can't help wanting to close the #3 without one first and then use chokers and all the other techniques. Good to hear you are working hard.

Had a frustrating day today. I am completely cns depleted with my 7th intense workout in 9 days. I was entirely too unrealistic in my goals for today's session even though I am going to a music festival tomorrow morning. I wanted to deadlift 200kg and get a shoulder press pr, but why didn't I think about the fact that my legs and back are completely fried and my knees hate me for asking them to do things they are not used to doing? Also I was doing jerks and shoulder press last night also! My right knee was a little swollen and sore so I chose not to perform any olympic weightlifting movements.

Deadlift--Warmed up gradually with the bar--1x3@60, 80, 90 1x2@100 1x1@120, 140, 160, 180--My form has really improved in these so I was happy with that. I then missed 200kg and 190kg badly. I felt flat, empty and very pi%$ed off. Foolish jumps in weight and expectations.

Strict Shoulder Press--1x3@50, 55, 60 1x2@65 1x1@70, 75, 80--missed an attempt with 82.5kg

I then wanted to get something out of my session so I (stupidly) decided to bench press. I did one warm up rep with 80kg, 100, 110 and then got 120 past the sticking point but couldn't press it out. I left the gym one unhappy man but writing about it makes it makes it more palatable. At least I matched my deadlift and shoulder press pr and have six days without training for my muscles and joints to heal up and come back stronger.

I came back from my music festival this morning with around two and a half hours sleep--I don't know how Sam (CoC#3) trains with as little sleep as he does. I need my hours in the scratcher to perform properly.

Anyway, my knees were in bits while I was away due to a lot of static queuing and standing in crowds during gigs so they only improved slightly. Today they would not stop creaking and after a few sets of overhead squats and snatch drops my right knee started to feel sore in behind the knee cap. Now, I have never had knee trouble before so I rang my physio and like I knew he would, he told me my knees could not handle the volume I put them under so I can't train any deep movements and need to take some anti-inflam's to reduce the slight swelling left. I have an appointment with him on Thursday so hopefully that will help.

So this is what I did do:

My knee problems have actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise because it allows me to work on my weaknesses: my first pull--olympic lifting style rather than powerlifting deadlift style-- and my pressing strength.

I did around 10 sets of 2/3 reps only up to 65kg which allowed me to work on my first pull off the ground with the snatch, focusing on keeping my back tight and flat, my balance on the full foot but transitioning a little forward coming up to my knees. Each set saw an improvement in form and my lower back mobility which was a weakness for me so I am happy to address it and also the movement does not stress my knees which is another bonus.

Overhead Press--1x5 @50 1x3@60, 65, 70, 60, 70, 75, 75, 75kg--All strict movement with no leg assistance. I am 10kg away from a 90kg bodyweight overhead press. I will get this soon...

I then did 5 sets involving lots of hanging core movements in combinations such as windshield wipers, full hanging rotations, full hanging leg raise and also a movement where you keep a tight semi pull up position and extend your legs parallel to the floor and back again for one rep. These were fun and challenging.

After these I did some pnf work on my hip flexors and that was the end of that.