Gripper Training And Strength And Conditioning From Dublin, Ireland

kinselbj

I just came back from a monster triple weightlifting session with 3 cryotherapy sessions, one in between the first and second session and two after the third session. This is what I did today:

Session 1--Power up session from 9.30 AM

Jerk Dips--2x5@bar

Jerk Catches--2x5@bar

Split Jerk--1x3@50, 50, 60

Power Clean and Jerk--1x3@70, 70, 1x1@80, 80, 90, 90

Overhead Squat--3x5

Drop Snatch--1x3@bar, 50, 50

Power Snatch--1x1@70, 70, 75, 80, 85, 90

Power Clean--1x1@80, 90, 100, 110, 115, 118

One Cryotherapy session for 4 minutes in a -110 degree celcius chamber. 45 minute break between this and session 2.

Session 2--Snatch and Jerk Technique

Overhead Squat--4x5

Drop Snatch-1x3@40, 50 1x2@60, 70 1x1@75

Hang Snatch--1x1@80, 80, 85

Jerk Dips--2x3@60

Jerk Catches--2x3@bar

Split Jerk--1x2@60, 70

Power Clean and Jerk--1x1@80, 90, 100

We then took an hour and a half between the second and third session with no cryotherapy session in between so that we would have more energy to go for pr's.

Session 3--All out Snatch and Clean and Jerk

Overhead Squat--4x5

Drop Snatch--1x3@bar, 40, 50

1 Hang + 1 Power Snatch--1x2@65, 70

Snatch--1x1@80, 88, 94, 99, 103. I then missed 105 four times because I was hitting the bar too far out rather than exploding upwards with elbows locked out. This was very frustrating as it was not heavy, I was simply pulling it out of position.

Jerk Dips--2x3@60

Jerk Catches--2x3@60

Split Jerk--1x3@60, 70

Clean and Jerk--1x1@90, 100, 110, 120, 127--This was technically my best ever jerk. I then missed 132 twice--the first time I did not explode up enough in the jerk and dipped too low, the second time I completely missed the clean--I then nailed 132 for a PR with the barest hint of a press out although I think it would have passed. I then put logic on the backburner and went for 135kg and I got it with a pressout of the left elbow. I had a shallower more explosive dip and went through the jerk, but not quite under it. For these last two lifts I was also far more aggresive for the first time was not willing to accept defeat.

Back Squat--1x1@100, 110, 120, 130, 140, 150, 160--I missed this because I was not explosive enough out of the hole. I then got 160 easily enough and nailed 165 for a new PR in the back Squat. Of course all these were ass to grass and without a belt.

I then had a second Cryotherapy session following this session and a third one an hour and a half later following a carvery dinner. I was in the chamber for five minutes for both these sessions.

Looking back on all I did, I have learned the following:

1. I have clearly prioritised the clean and jerk, the jerk in particular because it is my biggest weakness. This meant my Snatch was not as smooth or as fast as usual and I missed out on getting a PR which was frustrating, but I know I have it in me.

2. If I am going for PR's again next time I will have to lower the volume. The only reason I got the Clean and Jerk PR's was because I got super aggresive.

3. If I can get a PR in the back Squat after all this volume, this means I should have more in the tank and also in the Front Squat where I have only gone up to a double for 135.

4. Next time I come back to train with Cryotherapy, the ideal scenario would be two training sessions with a cryo session after each on the Saturday and the Sunday.

All in all I am shattered, but content. My Snatch did not go as planned but that is ok. Light sessions on Tuesday and Wednesday should see me ready for a harder one on Saturday.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kinselbj

• t-wehner

• CoC#3

• ewokhugo

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice PRs! :D Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the idea behind Cryotherapy? How does it work?

This is an excerpt from the website of the place I use. It explains it so much better than I can.

Whole Body Cryotherapy is the stimulating use of extremely low temperatures below minus 110 degrees Celsius. The chamber works by cooling the entire skin surface of the body in order to develop defensive reflexes and reactions such as stimulation of blood circulation, endocrine system, the immune system and the central nervous system. Such stimulation makes the therapy beneficial to a range of conditions.

The therapy stimulates the temperature receptors in the skin to communicate with the brain. The brain then transmits messages throughout the body causing the peripheral blood vessels to constrict redirecting the blood to the core of the body to conserve heat. Once the treatment is over the same blood is pumped vigorously back around the body. The enhanced blood supply that Whole Body Cryotherapy stimulates increases the oxygen and nutrient supply to areas that need revitalizing.

The extreme cold also stimulates the body's hormone system to secrete enhanced levels of endorphins and adrenaline. The immune system is enhanced by increased production of lymphocytes. Better communication between the Central Nervous System and the muscle groups is stimulated by Whole Body Cryotherapy.

I hope this explains it Neetop. It worked a treat for me. My muscles are not sore at all after those three sessions yesterday, although I know my cns system is more than likely crocked. Also, thanks for the encouragement Ben.

Here is a video montage of our training yesterday and it shows the facilities also:

http://vimeo.com/2334425

I had a low volume training session tonight that was a bit more intense than planned originally. It was short and enjoyable and rather than being fatiguing, it actually re-energised me. I changed my usual first workout of the week to work on what was specifically poor over the weekend.

Jerk Dips--3x5 with bar

Jerk Catches--3x5 with bar

Split Jerk--1x3@40, 40, 50

Hang Clean and Jerk--1x3@60, 60 1x2@70 1x1@80, 90, 95, 100

I was focusing particularly on getting into the right position at the start of the hang clean and getting my front foot farther out which in turn got me lower under the bar in the jerk. These all went very well and my technique continues to improve gradually.

Hang Snatch--1x1@60, 60, 60, 70, 75, 80, 85, 85, 90, 90, 90--These were pbs for the hang Snatch, but this was not intentional. I can handle much more than this, I simply have not done the movement in a while.

I was really happy with these. Like the hang clean, I focused on getting in the right position which in turn improved the flight pattern of the bar. Tomorrow I will work on the transition of first pull into the hang position and try and improve my positioning in both the clean and the snatch as well as continue to work on getting my front foot farther through in the jerk. The snatches were not heavy and I only did singles so there was little or no fatigue at all through the session which was really nice. Roll on tomorrow.

I had another low volume but relatively high intensity workout today that was very similar to yesterday:

Jerk Dips--3x5 with bar

Jerk Catches--3x5 with bar

Split Jerk--1x3@40, 50

Hang Clean and Jerk--1x3@60, 60 1x2@70 1x2@80 1x1@90, 95, 95, 100, 100, 105, 105--My jerk is consistently locked in and I am still focusing on getting my front foot farther out and dropping under the bar rather than having my trunk follow my foot. I am aiming for a 90 degree angle with my front foot in the jerk. It is slowly but surely improving in speed, locked-in-ness and bar trajectory.

Hang Snatch--1x1@50, 60, 70, 80, 85, 90--I focused more today on getting a perfect first pull and then I brought the bar all the way up and back to a low hang position. When the lifts started to get a bit slower on my last two reps I left it a bit sooner than planned to keep the volume down.

On a random impulse I decided to get a new front squat single pb so that I did.

Front Squat-1x1@70, 100, 110, 110, 120, 130, 140, 150--The last rep was not pretty but I got it and it was ass to grass and without a belt or wraps/straps etc. I will take the 15kg pb even though I have not had a heavy front squat in three months.

Tonight I had a 45 to 55 minute jerk technique workout that was not that good. I was tired after work and when I was coaching I spent an hour playing rugby with my lads and although it was not tiring, it would have taken some team out of my engine.

Jerk Dips--3x5 with bar

Jerk Catches--2x5 with bar, 1x5 with 10, 15

Split Jerk--1x3@50, 60, 65, 70

Full Jerk--1x3@70, 80 1x2@85 1x1@90, 90, 95, 95, 100, 100--These were not particularly good tonight. The last two days of training have seen a lovely progression in my jerk technique and I am tired tonight so I will not get unduly worried about tonight.

Dragon Flags--2x3--Have not done these in a while and they were fun.

I foam-rolled my IT bands and worked on my glute trigger points for 20 minutes and had a short stretch in the pool followed by 5 minutes in the steam room and in the jacuzzi.

I was very tired for mys session today again. I was coaching in the morning and cycled for 30 minutes to get to the gym so my legs were tired from that and the last two weeks. I did the following:

Overhead Squats--6x5

Drop Snatch--1x3@bar, bar, 40, 40 1x2@50 1x1@60, 70

Hang Snatch--1x1@70, 75, 80

Snatch--1x1@80, 85, 90, 93x5--I missed the fourth single because I did not focus enough through fatigue. My technique was good but my legs were knackered.

Jerk Dips--2x3@50

Jerk Catches--2x3@50

Split Jerk--1x2@60, 60, 70

Clean and Jerk--1x1@80, 90, 100, 110, 115x3--I missed the second rep because I drove up from the jerk too far forward.

Hanging Leg Raises--3x6

Lying knee to chest--2x20

I just had a 30 minute stretch in the pool and around 20 minutes in the sauna followed by 15 in the jacuzzi. I know feel amazing as opposed to how I felt after my workout earlier. I am looking forward to training my skill and speed next week to ready myself for next Sunday's competition where I will Snatch 108 and Clean and Jerk 138.

I had a tiring day today and I am very fatigued after my session in the gym. I did the following:

Jerk Dips--3x5

Jerk Catches--3x5

Split Jerk--1x3@50, 50, 60

Clean and Jerk--1x1@70, 80, 90

Overhead Squats--3x5

Snatch Drops--1x3@bar, 40, 50

Snatch Combo--1x3@60, 70, 80x3--I found this particularly tiring tonight. My legs are very fatigued.

Overhead Squats--1x2@80, 85, 90x3

Snatch Pulls--1x2@70, 70, 80x4--The first time doing these tonight and it will take a while to learn the movement.

Hang Power Snatch--3x3@70

A tricky training session tonight because although not to the extent of Monday, I was still very fatigued today.

Jerk Dips--3x5

Jerk Catches--1x5@bar, 40

Split Jerk--1x3@40, 50 1x2@60

Clean and Jerk--1x1@70, 80, 90, 90

Overhead Squats--3x5

Drop Snatch--1x2@50 1x1@60

1 Hang Snatch+1 Full Snatch--1x2@60

Snatch--1x1@70, 80, 87.5, 92.5, 96--I made them all but they felt heavier than they should have. I knew then that I was still very fatigued.

Clean and Jerk--1x1@70, 80, 90, 105--I missed the clean bizarrely by pulling way too far back--100, 110--I missed the jerk because it was too slow, I then got 110 and got 116 with a right elbow pressout. These did not feel as good as my usual jerks because I was fatigued, but my sessions the week of a competition are always crap because I am invariably very tired because of all the training.

Ab exercise--3x20

I have my competition on Sunday and I will Snatch 108 and Clean and Jerk 138. I am really looking forward to lifting.

I had a brilliant deep tissue massage last night and it as great. My back was in knots and I was still very fatigued and the massage was exactly what I needed before my competition tomorrow. I did an extremely light 40 minute session tonight and I did the following:

Jerk Dips-2x5

Jerk Catches--2x5

Split Jerk--1x2@40, 50 1x1@60

Jerk from rack--1x1@70, 70, 80, 80, 90

Overhead Squats--5x5

I left it at that. I am still a little tired and I just wanted to make sure my flexibility was good and ready as was my jerk technique. All is well and tomorrow I will Snatch 108 and Clean and Jerk 138. I am really looking forward to it.l

Best of luck with your comp. tomorrow :D

Thanks for the encouragement Neetop. I just got back and the competition really did not according go to plan. So tempting to give the excuses but when the pressure was on I did not make my lifts which was really disappointing. I have another competition on Saturday to turn things around and get back n track so I will have two very light and technical sessions on Tuesday and Thursday and take it from there. Today I did the following;

I was a loader for the first session so my hips were warm already.

Overhead Squats--3x3

Drop Snatch---1x2@bar, 40, 50

Snatch --1x2@60, 70 1x1@80, 90--I was supposed to do two reps on this and then 95 but I was called earlier than expected.

Comp Snatches--1x1@100--made this easily despite it being a little off. I then missed 104 out front even though it was light. I then missed 108 out front also and this was shambolic.

There was not break between the Snatch and Clean and Jerk--there is usually 15 minutes-- so I did the following:

Jerk Dips--1x5@bar

Jerk Catches--1x5@bar

Split Jerk--1x2@40, 50

Clean and Jerk--1x1@70, 90, 100, 110--I was supposed to do 120 as my last warm up but I was again called earlier than expected. My coach was not a happy bunny.

Comp Clean and Jerks--

1x1@128--This was light but the clean was in front and awkward. The jerk was real solid.

1x1@133--The clean put me completely out of position and it took me around five attempts to get it back in a proper rack. Unsurprisingly I missed the jerk and then I missed the clean in the third attempt which was really strange and very frustrating.

I was very angry with myself and I will think about it tomorrow and put down my action plan for next week and the things I learned. It is my third competition and this kind of thing had to happen some time. Oh well, this is where the real balls start to show.

I had an enjoyable workout tonight and it was short, skill orientated and mercifully sweet as today I was very, very tired again. This is my most tiring month of the year, so I need to work and train as intelligently as possible. Tonight I did the following:

Overhead Squat--6x3

Drop Snatch--1x2@bar, 40, 50, 60x4--I really focused and over-exaggerated getting as wide a catch stance as possible on this. Half an inch to an inch makes a difference so I have to focus on this every rep in every Snatch exercise.

Hang Power Snatch--1x2@60, 65x4--Again I focused on catching in a wider stance.

Jerk Dips--2x3@60

Jerk Catches--2x3@60

Split Jerk--1x2@60, 70

Jerk Behind Neck--1x2@80, 90, 100x4

All in all I had the type of session I needed--a recharger session. I am still wrecked, but the session gave me the energy I knew it would. I need a similar one on Thursday. As of the weekend competition, I have thought about it rationally and objectively and come to the following conclusions:

My expectations were too high because:

1. I did not stay over the night before and as such did not sleep well because I was afraid I would miss my early train

2. I was a loader in the first session and could not focus on my task at hand

3. My warm up was nowhere near what was required

4. I am halfway through my toughest month of my year in terms of workload and fatigue.

I am more than capable of making 108/138 when the conditions are right, but they most certainly were not on Saturday. The videos of my lifts showed my things I need to work on and I will approach the competition the way I should: to have fun and enjoy rather than put undue pressure on myself. I will ensure I am more rested and have a proper warm up. If things go well, they do, and if they don't, well at least I need to have fun and enjoy the experience, while still giving it every ounce of my being.

I had another really enjoyable power up session today in the gym in preparation for my competition on Saturday. I did the following:

Overhead Squats--5x5 with a pnf stretch at the bottom of the squat twice.

Drop Snatch--1x3@40, 40 1x2@50, 50--Again I got my training partner to pnf me at the bottom twice so I can work on getting a wider foot position in the catch.

Hang Power Snatch--1x2@65, 70, 75, 70, 70

Jerk Dips--1x5@60

Jerk Catches--1x5@60

Clean and Jerk--1x1@70, 90, 95, 100, 100--These were excellent. I worked on staying tall in the catch of the clean--I obviously had to pull less hard to make it a squat clean--and catching the bar with a wider foot stance. With the jerk I wanted a quick and locked in jerk while keeping my balance on the heels in the dip.

Window Wipers/Hanging horizontal leg extensions and another core exercise I have no idea what the name is.

I feel excellent tonight which is at odds with how I have felt for the last two weeks. I will be ready for Saturday and I will weigh in at 94 or less. I will Snatch 108 and Clean and Jerk 135. Because it is an informal competition I will be able to have fourth attempts so I can go for 110/138 if I have the energy which I think I will. I am really looking forward to it.

I feel like a train hit me and that my body hates me. I had a weightlifting competition yesterday and it went poorly again. I lost too much weight and I had very little left in the tank anyway.

In the weightlifting, I missed my last warm up snatch of 95 which is a power/squat snatch when I am fresh. I then missed 100 twice and barely got it in my third and final attempt. The weight felt heavy and I found it very difficult to concentrate. I was not snatching like I normally do. I was too tired to even get annoyed. I had some sugared tea during my clean and jerk warm up which helped and I clean and jerk 125 and 130 with lovely jerks, particularly on the 130. I missed the clean on 135 and that was it. I ate some more food after and I felt better and a bit revived.

There was a powerlifting competition afterwards and I was feeling better so a few of us weightlifters decided to enter the squat part to see if we could get a pb. I back squatted ass to grass and with no belt and nothing except knee sleeves to keep my knees warm because I wanted a weightlifting squat pb rather than a parallel powerlifting squat. I squated 150, 160 and then 170 for a new five kilo pb which was nice. It was fun and the powerlifters thought it was hilarious that we were squatting so low.

Knowing this would really affect my body in a negative way, I decided to have some more fun and do the bench and deadlift also. I knew I wouldn't be training for five days so I went for it anyway knowing I would pay like I am now. I never bench press and I have also never bench pressed like a powerlifting contest demands. I got 100, 110 and I couldn't get through the sticking point for 120. In the deadlift I got 180 handily enough in my first attempt and I couldn't even get 190 from the floor, I had nothing in the tank so I left the third attempt also.

All in all, I had fun yesterday. I needed to focus on my performance more and I also got my weight wrong. I lost one and a half kilos more than I needed to lose and I was very tired all week. Now, I need to recharge my batteries completely and any training I do over the next two week will be completely skill based and very light. I did not hit my targets for these competition for various reasons and I need to learn from them so that I can get the lifts I know I can get. I know it was stupid doing two competitions, but I had fun anyway and it was a once off.

I am still taking a few days off weightlifting so I had a gripper workout for the first time in ages. The grip does not feel as strong at all so I will take it easy for my first few sessions. Tonight I did the following with both hands with a ccs distance set:

Trainer--2x5

#1--2x3

#2--3x1

#2.5--2x1--This was tough but I got it with both hands in both sets.

#1--2x3--I did these for a little back off work.

I have a lot to do to get back to where I was with the grippers, but I will have time over the next three weeks so I will take it easy and get back again to closing the #3 and then go on to ccs it.

Tonight I had a short recovery session of core work and flexibility. I finished off with some overhead squats and hang power snatches and some light back squats. Legs are still very tired and I am still pretty drained.

I had a fun session last night in the gym.

Overhead Squats--6x5--I really emphasised a wide catching position

Drop Snatches--1x3@40, 50

Snatch--1x2@60, 65, 70, 75x3

Back Squats--1x3@60, 80, 100 1x2@120x6

Russian Twists--2x15

I had a good session in the gym tonight. I did the following:

Overhead Squats--6x5--I really emphasised a wide catching position

Drop Snatches--1x3@40, 50 1x2@60 1x1@70, 75, 80--There was no pop in these, only a fast drop.

Snatch--1x1@70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 90--I missed this by pulling too far back. 90--An easy success.

Clean and Jerk--1x1@70, 80, 90, 100, 110, 120--I could not clean it--didn't have enough in the gas tank.

Front Squat--1x2@70, 100, 110, 120, 130, 135--These were solid. I was all in after this.

A great Christmas eve training session yesterday.

Jerk Skill Work with the bar

Overhead squats--6x3--I did a forced stretch at the bottom of each third rep.

Drop Snatch--1x3@bar, 40, 40--Again a forced stretch at the bottom 1x2@50 1x1@60, 65, 70

Snatch--1x1@70, 80, 85, 90--I missed the first because I did not finish off the pull. I got it sweetly on the second rep.

Clean grip pnf x2

Clean and Jerk--1x1@70, 80, 90, 100, 110, 110--The second rep was much better and far more locked in. My jerk is really starting to improve.

Back Squats--1x3@90, 120, 130, 140x3

I was still very tired but I enjoyed the session because I had a no time constraints and I was very chilled out. I knew I was still running low on gas when the drop snatches did not quite have the speed they have when I am full of beans. Here are my aims for the next six weeks:

1. Snatch: Lock my back and elbows in and continue to work on hip flexibility and mobility.

2. Clean: Keep the back locked in pull and catch with tall chest and high elbows.

3. Jerk: Keep head back to dip off heels and drive front foot more forward.

4. Primary physical goals: Work on my mid trap strength and hip flexibilty

5. Training goals: Squat at the end of each session in order to improve conditioning, strength and stamina.

6. Numbers: For my competition in February I want to Snatch 110 and Clean and Jerk 140

I had a double training session, but my lazy eating habits bit me in the ass. I did not have the energy I should have had because I did not eat enough throughout the day. I was also training in a gym that I hate training in where you cannot drop the bar etc.

Session 1:Power Session

Overhead Squats--6x3

Drop Snatches--1x3@bar, 40, 50 1x2@60--These were fast for the first time in ages because I was not fatigued.

Power Snatch--1x2@65, 70 1x1@77.5, 82.5, 87.5--The last rep was not as powerful as I would have liked so I left the planned 90 out.

Power Clean--1x1@70, 80, 90, 100, 110--Again, this should be an easy power clean but it was not so I left it there.

I then took 30 minutes to eat and relax.

Session 2: Snatch and Front Squat

Power Snatch+2 Overhead Squats--@40, 50

Drop Snatch--1x2@50, 60 1x1@67.5

Snatch--1x2@67.5, 75 1x1@80, 85, 90--I missed this because my pull was too slow. I got it straight after. 90 Should be an easy snatch/power Snatch so I left it there and did not go through with the plan. The Snatch is not a movement that you can persevere through fatigue. You have it or you don't and this evening I did not.

Front Squat--1x2@90, 110, 120, 127.5x3

For tomorrow's workout I need to eat far more throughout the day so that I will have the required energy. I must not sell myself short.

Another tough workout yesterday evening. My aching legs are testament to that.

Overhead Squats--6x3

Drop Snatch--1x3@bar, bar, 40, 50

Snatch--1x2@40, 50, 60 1x1@70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 90--I tried to get my feet wider at the beginning and not lock my back and elbows around quite so much.

2 Cleans+1 Jerk--2x1@80, 90, 100, 108x3--This was demanding on the conditioning. 108 is a light power clean but I was focusing on my catch in the clean so I did not pull as hard as I could so that I had to drop with a tall chest and high elbows. After two cleans the jerk was pretty tough, but I was happy with the skill shown.

Back Squats--1x3@100, 120, 138x6--These were tough squats after the cleans and squats of the day before. But I got through them.

I had a great session today. I did the following:

Overhead Squats--3x5

Drop Snatches--1x3@bar, 40, 50

Snatch--1x2@60, 70, 80, 82x3--I need to extend quicker and pull so that I catch in the position I get myself into in the Drop Snatch.

Overhead Squats--1x2@80, 90x3

Jerk From Rack--1x2@70, 80, 90, 95x6--I was better in these when I got myself under the bar and actively pressed up which stopped the bar reverberating.

Front Squats--1x3@70, 90, 110, 120, 127.5x3--These felt way better than they did three days ago.

I finished up with ten minutes static stretching and in a few hours I will have a stretch in the pool and go all out in the sauna, steam room and jacuzzi. I am off to Spain for 5 days of relaxation tomorrow morning so I will come back full of beans which will be great.