Are Weak Men Allowed To Post Routines!?

lifesnotfair

Good work Arturo, extremely pleased to see that you are fighting around that shoulder injury.

Yeah, running sprints will get the obliques sore. As bulletproof and solid as I would like to think my abs are, I still get slight soreness in my obliques after a couple hours of playing football or doing hard sprints.

Keep up the good work man, all it takes is time.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lifesnotfair

• Scott Styles

• superfeemiman

• Teemu I

Thanks Ivarboneless!! Unbelievable that you can get sore abs with all that abwork you do! I didn't think I could get sore legs with the leg work I've been doing lately though, and I got them.

Stretching. So darn sore...

Turkish get-ups: 3 sets of 5 with 17.5lb on the oly dumbell, very hard.

Pull-up retractions: 3 sets of 10 (each rep lasts 1.5 seconds or so in both the retracted and protracted possition).

Overhead shrugs: 30x10 (1.5secs on top possition or so), 45x10, 55x10.

Grippers: Filed T x10, #1x5 (or was it 3?) ... Right: #1.5 x??, filed #1.5 x1, RB160x1 (strength not that bad, but didnt close it with authority), BBMx0 turned into a negative. Left: #1.5x1 (nice), filed #1.5 x0 (very close), RB160x0 (maybe 3/16").

Pegasus extension: 6x15, 8.5x15, 9.75x15.

DB wrist curl: 17.5lb on the DB x15.

On another news.. I've organized a plan of attack as my last attempt to get my shoulder healed. Through these past months, I've gathered information from many places, and have made a decision to do all within my reach to try and repair myself. I wont say all I'll do just yet, but if it works I'll of course give all the details... it's mainly just a few different supplements plus some changes in diet.

Still very sore from sprinting. Tomorrow (thursday) I'll do the workout I had planned for monday!

Stretching.

Turkish get-ups with 20lb on the dumbell now, 3 sets of 5.

Pull-up retractions, 3 sets of 10 with ~1.5 secs on both up and down possitions.

Overhead shrugs: 20lb on DB x10, 55x10, 65x10 (with a 1 second hold at the top).

I also set up my dip assembly and was going to do "straight-arm dips" or however you'd call them, but I felt a bit of pain when I went down (shoulders up to my ears) in this possition. So I just held the top possition for 10 secs for 2 sets. I then tried to make a dip while keeping the shoulders down like that, to see if it hurted... it didn't seem to hurt at the moment, it was very hard though, struggled with 2 dips this way, and to be honest it kinda felt like I shouln't have pushed it.. argh!

I shouldn't have done those dips yesterday, or straight-arm dips either probably... I feel it a tiny bit today, but not much, so not much harm done. At least I know I shouldn't try them.

5 sprints of ~17 seconds last SATURDAY were so friggin' hard, that I had to push monday's workout to today, THURSDAY !! And even today I wasn't 100% soreness-free, but enough to finally workout again.

40 box-squats (13" box or so)

25 sit-ups

160 rope jumps

15 alternate stepping lunges per leg (unweighted)

20 back extensions

30 box jumps (to the bench.. maybe 20" height)

160 rope jumps

15 bulgarian split squats (NOT alternate)

20 back extensions

60 bycicle abs (I wonder if this is called something else?)

40 squats

Total: 17.5 minutes --- It took 1 full minute more than last time I tried it, BUT, squats went from 35 to 40 in both sets (and got the last one all consecutive, which was tough!), rope-jumps went from 120 to 160, and bicycle crunches went from 50 to 60. So it was good. The bulgarian-split squats were better this time, I stopped at 11 with both legs, rested maybe 5 seconds, and finished. The bench jumps are still a killer, I did 15, rested a few secs, 10, a few secs, 5. These even made my skin ITCH, weird feeling!! Leaves me totally out of breath. The whole session does.

I obviously stretched before, and some after (hip flexors, quads, hams).

I would love to do a session like this, but involving upper body exercises... we shall see, I should be getting some quality supplements I ordered tomorrow. I will then state my last plan of attack to this injury of mine.

I went to sprint... I stretched a ton, and warmed up a ton.. even did a run through the Sprinting Drills by Brian DeGennaro video on Youtube, which is tiring by itself if you're not well conditioned, like me.

First sprint: 17 secs. Right front leg felt tight, not sure if it was quad or hip flexors, seemed like it wasn't very quad-related as I could squat fine. Anyways, on the second sprint I quit halfway through, I felt a big pain. I had felt it tight during the stretching, like it was still a bit sore from last saturday's sprinting. I guess my body was so not used to sprint, that even a full 7 days rest (from sprinting) wasn't enough to recover 100%. Anyways, I stretched those muscles a bit more and the next day (sun) and today (mon) everything is fine, so I'm eager to go back and sprint! Don't know if I'll wait till next Saturday or will do it on a weekday...

40 box-squats (11-12" box or so)

30 sit-ups

160 rope jumps

15 alternate stepping lunges per leg (unweighted)

20 back extensions

30 box jumps (to the bench.. maybe 20" height)

160 rope jumps

15 bulgarian split squats (NOT alternate)

20 back extensions

60 bycicle abs (I wonder if this is called something else?)

40 box-squats (11-12" box or so)

Total: 17.75 minutes - I think I did good given the conditions. The major factor here was removing another wooden block, now using just 6, so the squats were deeper. On the last set, I had to do 25, breathe for a few seconds, then 15. I also upped sit-ups by a little bit, and I think I mis-counted the ropejumps and might've done 200 in both sets instead of 160. Also, I got less sleep than I would've liked last night, and I drank a fair ammount of beer last night as well... that's why I'm saying the conditions weren't the best, but I gave it all I had and was just 15 secs slower than last time. I'll do this one next monday and not any sooner. Wanted to train grippers but didn't have time today, maybe in the afternoon? It's been a while since I've done a grip-only session!!

TGU: 25lb on the DB, 3 sets of 5, very hard. 3x10 slow retractions on the pull-up bar, some overhead shrugs, and band dislocates.

Was just gonna stretch a bit at night, before taking a shower and going to bed.. I felt very tired this day because I didn't have much sleep the night before, so I didn't workout... but for some reason I started doing alternate pistols, and did many of them! I don't know, but maybe 15 per leg? Alternating, not reps though, easier to get higher numbers. With my left it felt very easy in every rep. With my right it was a bit hard, but I noticed if I focus on doing them with my foot pointing straight ahead (something it does NOT do naturally unlike the left one), the knee didn't go inward and it felt better overall. I did some reps pausing at the bottom possition for a few secs, and with my right leg those felt much harder than just "bouncing" at the bottom. Obviously harder leftie as well, but got them easier. Glutes feel a bit sore today, specially right one. I also did one rep holding a 10lb plate in each hand. The hard part is not the extra poundage, but not being able to move my arms for balance, heh.

Band dislocates, some quite slow, grabbing the band maybe 8" appart in the end (it obviously expands during the ROM).

TGU: 27.5lb on the DB, 3 sets of 5, very hard! The first two reps are easy, but in the last two I have to focus to keep elbow locked. I believe that at the lightest this is 37.5lb, which would beat my 5-rep best when I did these a few times about a year ago, by 1.5lb though, I think. And this is considering the DB handle to be 10lb, which I think it's a bit more. I don't know if I will be able to continue doing 3 sets of 5 while adding 2.5lb in every workout, but we'll find out soon!!

Again pullup retractions: 2x10 slow ones, 1x10 with knees lifted (target abs/hip flexors a bit... only knees lifted, not legs straight).

Overhead shrugs (snatching the weight just once into possition): 70x10, 82.5x10

Shoulder has been feeling better, I think. Hopefully not a placebo effect from the supplements I am now taking.

Warmed up, did one set of Sprinting Drills, and ran about 4 sprints, maybe ~17 seconds each. This is so unbelievably demanding. I did a few squats between sets.

120 rope jumps

30 squats

50 bicycle abs

For 5 rounds.

Was in another city for 2 days... very tiring. Ate wrong too. :( ... couldn't do the TGU's, will try to get back to them today.

I drove so many miles in the past two days, that my right hip adductor (or abductor?) is sore... you know, the muscle in the inside of the leg, because I was driving trying not to let my knee rest on it's outer side.

I got sick for a few days. Getting better now, but still not 100%.

Pull-up retractions: 1x20, 2x15 slow/paused ones.

Band dislocates: bunch.

TGU: 25lb on the DB, 2 sets of 5.

Hanging knee raises (until they touch chest), 2x20.

DB hammer curl (one arm at the time): 7.5lb on the DB x15, 10lb x15. I have not curled in a long while, and my goodness did I feel weak. No endurance!

Knee pushups: 2 sets of 15 or so, just to see how my shoulder reacts to these.

Today I'll try to sprint a little bit again.

Warmed up and did 4 sprints, of around 16 seconds. No idea of the distance, but I counted 122 steps while walking back to the starting point. I'm now thinking it's less than 100 meters. It's grass, and a bit uneven in places. I am exhaused at the end of it, no endurance at all!! But I'll keep at it. No pains or anything, so that's good!

Stretched and stuff, right hamstring sore from sprinting.

Overhead shrugs: 65x15, 85x15, 95x10, 105x10 (first time ever I hold over 95lb overhead). I was snatching the weight into possition (if you can call it a snatch).

Some band dislocates, and some holds for a few seconds at the top possition of a dip. Just trying to strengthen the shoulders in different possitions.

Oh, last friday I weighed at 171. I've lost musclemass though, I'm sure of it. Can't wait to lift normally again. I think my shoulder is improving though, which is good.

Still sick (flu), but getting better. Sprinting on saturday left my hip-flexors and hamstrings sore the most, but not so much the glutes/thigs... so I decided to work those muscles today, and some more random stuff that were pretty hard. Finally a workout that looked like a workout :tongue

One-hand DL, suit-case style, right hand first, rest a bit, left hand: 65x10, 85x10, 100x10. That last set was hard. This feels very hard on the leg that's closer to the bar. Abs/obliques are NOT sore today, probably because they've been hit by some other exercises lately. The last time I tried this exercise I ended up really sore in this area.. the midsection works a lot with the weight all in one side.

Hip-belt squats, weight hanging off in front: 60x10, 80x10, 100x10 (very tough last set).

Supersetted this with some Rolling Thunder: 80x10, 90x10, 100x 6R and 5L .. I think if this isn't a PR leftie, it's close. I don't know how, but these numbers are, at worst, equal to the last time I tried this device, months ago. I was pulling them from a 4" platform though! but I use a 12" loading pin.

Pistols! (I stood on a box, maybe 16" tall, because my hip-flexors are still sore from sprinting, and I have to use them a lot to keep one leg in the air while doing pistols in the floor... so this box made it possible to keep that leg a bit lower and don't hammer that hip-flexor too bad).

Alternating every 1 rep: 10 each leg.

Alternating every 2 reps: 10 each leg.

Alternating every 2 reps, holding an empty DB handle (10+ lbs): 10 each leg! This was pretty hard with my right leg, not so hard leftie!!

I have always complained about instability when going down with my right leg. Well, I realized today, that if I really tighten up my "core" (abs, i guess), I can have a much more stable ROM.

Needless to say, glutes are SORE today! :)

Glutes are SORE from Pistols 2 days ago. I came to the conclusion that Pistols are the single best exercise for glutes, not even back squats give me this soreness. Also, forearms are very very sore too. RT is an unbelievable tool. You'd think that doing grippers the forearms would be used to that similar motion.. but the RT is so unique. I love it, I'll start using it again as my right thumb finally seems not to bother me. I wont do pinch yet though, don't wanna push it.

Stretched and jumped rope for 2 minutes.

Tiger-bend pushups: I couldn't even do these last time I tried, so I started slow..

On the knees, and on 3 blocks x15... 2 blocks x15... 1 block x15 ... on the floor x15.

Then on the feet, 3 sets of 5. These were tough. I hope I'm doing them right, I let my forearms rest on the floor in every rep. I am doing these as they don't involve a lot of shoulder movement, mostly elbow (triceps).

DB rows (weight of DB not included): I don't remember, did like 3 sets, finished with 50lb in plates x10.

DB tricep extensions overhead: empty DB x15, +5lb x15, +10lb x9R/7L.

DB hammer curl, simultaneus: +10lbx15, +15lbx12, +20lbx8. (weak!! That's what happens from months of not doing them or any similar movemenet).

Crunches with legs raised maybe 70 degrees, each one changing directions: 3x30.

Bicycle abs: 3x60.

Tried doing a hanging leg raise and could not even hold the legs up. I've done it before, but I need to be fresh for it. Still a HUGE effort to get that.

DB windmills: +20lb x5 x2 sets, then +30lb x5. Haven't done these in ages.

I went away for the weekend with my wife and another couple. While there, on saturday 26.04.2008 I did this (it was in the open, great place, cold weather and everything! (rare in this country, it's over 2,200 meters tall though, hence the cold) ...

30 squats, 30 crunches, 15 tuck jumps. I then replaced crunches for other ab exercises... did 8 rounds of this.

I brought my grippers with me but my hands were so cold all the time, I didn't use them.

Some rope-jumping. Damn, I wanted to jump a ton, but I got this pain in my lower left rib area.. I hadn't felt it in a long while. It's a pain that's caused by lack of air I think. :/

TGU's: 30lb on the DB, 3 sets of 5. This is a PR for sure.

While on that place I went nuts in the field.... it's a very... hrm... unexploted (?) place, no electricity and everything, almost no people.. just 7 "houses" you rent and pay per night. We went exploring a bit and I went nuts and started doing stuff like, running on walls (natural dirt walls), lifting rocks overhead, jumping and stuff like that. I also threw many rocks/stones and even wooden sticks (sort of like a javeline?) with my friend, seeing who could hit what, and who could throw farther, etc. I beat him :P .. but those were many big efforts on my right shoulder. It's not bad though, as I did the getups last night and was fine.

Tiger-bend pushups: 7, 7, 7 ... or something like this. I can't get out of the bottom possition slowly though. Will keep working them though.

DB rows: DB+20lbs x15, +40lbx12, +50x10, +60x8.

DB tricep extension overhead: DBx15, +5x15, +10x8R/10L ... left felt stronger, weird.

DB hammer curl, simultaneous: DB+5x15, +15x12, +20x10.

I wanted to work my legs like last sunday but quads were a bit sore from saturday's ton of free-squats, and hamstrings a bit sore from RDL's on 24.08.2008 which I seem to have forgotten to post!

One Hand Deadlift, Suitcase Style: 65x10, 95x10, 105x10. Last set very tough, had a ~7 seconds pause at 6 reps with both hands. I'm trying to do most of the work with my legs and not my back, so the leg on the side of the barbell really gets tired after a few reps.

Hip-belt Squats, loaded in front: 60x10, 80x10, 100x10 - tough last set, but easier than last time I think.

Rolling Thunder: 80x10, 90x10, 100x5 ... got a 6th rep rightie after about 10 secs rest. This time I was pulling from a 2" wooden block (harder than last time, where I set the weights over 2 blocks. I use a 12" loading pin which is shorter than what most people use I think).

Pistols: 10 reps each leg, alternating every rep; 6 consecutive reps per leg; holding my empty DB, 4 consecutive reps per leg. No weight, again 6 reps per leg. These were done on the floor, normal pistols, not standing on a box like the last time.

Oh, and at the very beggining of the session I did 6 or 7 pullups (overhand), and inbetween Pistols I did 6 more. They feel more "correct" than they used to now, I don't feel like my shoulder is gonna get ripped out of place with them. I used to only do chin-ups because of this.

I worked out a few days ago but forgot what I did.

One Hand Deadlift, Suitcase Style: 65x10, 95x10, 110x5, 125x5R/3L. I have read you should go low-rep in this one since the core will get tired and it wont be as stable if high rep. I think grip was an issue with my left hand with the 125, but my body was so tired I couldn't lift the fourth rep. I suck at this one! That's why i'll keep at it. I didn't use my 35lb plates, so when I use them next session it should be better (it'll raise the bar a bit, heh).

Pull-ups: 5, 5, 5.

Pistols: Alternating each rep, 3 each leg... wow, I felt like crap and thought about quitting the workout here. But a couple of minutes later I came back and did 10 continous reps each leg. HOWEVER, I must point out they were not fast reps, I had to breath a few times inbetween the last reps. While doing this, first with my left leg, I felt my right hip-flexor wanting to cramp. So when I switched to the right leg, I used some wooden blocks so my left leg wouldn't have to be so high over the ground and it's hip-flexor wouldn't get messed.

Then I grabbed my empty dumbell and did 6 reps each leg (much tougher with the right), on the wooden blocks to eliminate the hip-flexor issue.

I ate very wrong for the past three days. I have made a decision to lose some fat, so I started eating better today. I will try hard to keep it up. It's just so damned hard to keep the caloric intake low (I am aiming for max. 1600 a day, I weigh 175 but have lots of fat still).

Hey, nice to see that you are doing those suitcase-lifts, very good! Keep it up!

You have to love the one-legged squats aka the pistol. It's a beautiful blend of balance, strength and control. Do you use an olympic bar for the suitcase deadlifts or dumbells? Also. do you use the hook grip or the regular grip? Keep up the excellent training.

Teemu: thanks a lot! :)

You have to love the one-legged squats aka the pistol. It's a beautiful blend of balance, strength and control. Do you use an olympic bar for the suitcase deadlifts or dumbells? Also. do you use the hook grip or the regular grip? Keep up the excellent training.

kinselbj: I absolutely love the Pistol. I have issues with my right foot, it's flat (I think the left too, but this one more?), and through many years of incorrect stepping on it's outer side, it's very hard to balance on it. In that set of 10 pistols, after halfways, I felt a huge burn in the foot itself, and some calf/shin muscles that I was using trying to stabilize myself. But I will keep at it, it will benefit this issue I think.

About the Suitcase DL: I am using a regular 7 feet oly bar with a normal grip (no hook). I need to strengthen my grip in this area, I still find it hard to 1-arm hang from a regular diameter bar. No point in training specific stuff like grippers when my base strength sucks so much. Hopefully this will help a bit!

Inverted rows (with me facing the roof): 10, 10, 10. Last two sets I put my feet on a bench (maybe 20" height?). Overhand grip was used.

Diamond push-ups: 10, 10, 10. First time EVER doing these. I used to have wrist issues, not anymore it seems.

Regular push-ups: 15.

Barbell curl: 45x10, 60x10, 70x10, very tough last set.

DB hammer concentration curl: DB+10x10, DB+15x8.

Tried some DB tricep extensions overhead but was hard to setup to use both hands at the same time, I did DB+40lbs x8 but was uncomfortable as the DB was hitting the back of the bench (too high). I recall using much more weight in this one, damn.

Hanging leg raises: 2 sets of 10. This is a tough one. Legs straight!! I can get them to parallel but can't keep them there, maybe if I only did 1 rep and kept them there, but it's too big an effort to try. I'll keep doing reps for now.

Lying DB internal rotation: DBx10, +2.5x10, +5x10, +7.5x10.

Lying DB external rotation: DBx10 x3 sets, very hard.

I want to sprint today, haven't sprinted in almost 3 weeks.

On that workout I didn't type out, on 02.05.2008, I did TGU's with 32.5lb on the DB handle and that must have been a PR. I also did Windmills, I think I finished with 50lb in plates. I wrote it down since I knew I wouldn't log in here for a few days and I'd forget, but I read it yesterday.

Sprints: 5 runs of between 16 and 17 seconds. Slow as heck, considering my wife did 21.5 and then 20 and she seemed slow to me, wow. I'm running on grass, and uneven ground, sometimes having to skip holes, tree roots, etc... heh. Using my Vibram 5 fingers shoes.

I stretched before and a little bit after. Did a couple of sprinting drills and foot drills. That'll be it for today. I am more determined than ever to eat right and finally get rid of the remaining fat on me. I reckon I could, keeping my actual musclemass, lose at least 15-20 pounds of pure fat and still not be at a crazy low % of bodyfat. Any more than that, and it could require big levels of activity and huge sacrifices as to foods eaten. But I have no need to get there, but close! I feel like I never finished the job I started when I lost about 80 pounds back in 2006... I settled at this weight, between 175-185 through the past two years, thinking I had already done a lot.... but no, I could have kept going, and I will do it now, I'll try to achieve a level that'll make people jealous. Not to make people jealous of course (lol), but for personal satisfaction. Right now I must be around 175, but I ought to be lighter, below 160 would be nice.

~20 minutes rope jumping in the morning.

Then, 21, 15 and 9 reps of these two exercises (super-set):

Dumbell Thrusters (used 15lb+DB hadle). - I did the first set completely, but rested in the second one; not in the third.

Inverted rows. - I rested at 8 reps in the first one. Yes, I had to rest quite a few times in all 3 sets in this one.

Took about 6 minutes, will try to beat it next time.

Rolling Thunder:

RH: 50x5, 75x5, 100x3, 110x0 (air), 105x1, 80x1 (30 seconds).

LH: 50x5, 75x5, 100x3 (not dominant reps), 105x0 (air), 75x1 (30 seconds).

I was super-setting sets of RT with Pistols, which were done standing in some wooden blocks because hip-flexor is still sore from sprinting.

5 negatives each leg.

BW x5. Then started holding weight. I'll state the weight of EACH hand.

7.5lb x3, DB handle x3, +5lbs x3, +7.5x3, +7.5x3, then finished with BW x10.

I am guesstimating my DB handles to weigh around 13 pounds, so that was at least 20 lbs per hand. Super hard with my right leg.

One Hand Deadlift, Suitcase Style:

65x5, 95x5, 115x3 (used the 35lb plates today), 125x3, 135x3, 140x 3R/2L.

I used quite a bit of chalk. At this point I am not sure if it's the grip or the body that's giving in, because I'm trying to use a lot of leg and not so much back (so I start with my hips very low), and the stress on the leg that's on the same side as the barbell is unbelievable!

Some rope jumping.

5 sprints of about 15-16 seconds each. Tiring as hell.

I got my results for another MRI. Same thing, AC joint arthrosis, and impigment of some tendon (infra or supra spninatus, don't remember which now). After dealing with this shit for 1.5 years, I decided to go under the knife, I finally found a doctor that convinces me and seems to know his stuff. Says he has done this many times and it's very simple. It'll be almost 2 weeks from now, the 27th. I wonder if I should rest or workout since I'm already getting surgery :tongue

Just kidding, probably better off resting as much as possible.

5 pull-ups (using swing to gain momentum)

10 pushups.

20 air squats.

As many rounds in 20 minutes as I could do: 8 rounds but took maybe an extra minute to complete it. Exhausting.

Three days after that last workout, and my pecs were still screaming in pain. Guess that's what happens when you don't do any pressing for a while, and suddenly do pushups for time like that. My upper back was also a bit sore.

I had not squatted in a LONG time. I wrapped a big towel over the bar and went at it, using some wooden blocks to measure depth, below parallel of course.

Squats: 115x20 - after the first 10 quick reps I knew it wasn't gonna be as tough as a 20-rep squats is suposed to be. 5 more quick reps, then 5 more not so quick but not too hard. I used to feel more wasted and out of breath with a bit less weight I think. I will try this again soon with a bit more weight.

Pullovers: 10lb x20.

Another exercise I had not done in ages:

Romanian DL: 115x10, 165x10 .. switched to mixed grip :( ... 195x10, 225x10. Not too bad after a long layoff from these.

Pistols:

BW x10 each leg. I stood in 3 wooden blocks with the right leg, so I don't hammer the left hip flexor. Will try removing one block next session, etc.

Holding a DB+5lbs (just one dumbell held with both hands, not two), 20 alternating reps (10/leg).

Holding 2 DB+5lbs x3 reps (tough, shouldn't have done this).

BW x40 alternate reps (20/leg) ... this was tough!! I set myself to do 15 per leg, but once I got there decided to keep going. Wow, I was grunting after those reps in order to continue. I did them on the 3 wooden blocks though.

I felt good this workout, I liked it.

30 minutes of rope jumping (in sets of 2 mins, with 30 sec rests between efforts). Included some double-unders here and there. Tiring stuff. I did this on hard floor (usually it's on a soft surface) and it seems to have hit the calves much harder, because they hurt today. Spine erectors are also very sore from those RDL's that I had not done in a while. Amazingly, the 20 rep squats didn't leave me sore... the muscles used must have been used to workout thanks to the pistols, probably.

Great weekend.. although yesterday I ate a ton of "forbidden" stuff :)