Are Weak Men Allowed To Post Routines!?

lifesnotfair

Where did you buy your RB160 from? I bought a RB160 from FBBC and it is tougher than all 4 coc#2's that I own.

Hrm... I bought it from FBBC. I also bought an RB180 but I have not tried that one yet.

Keep in mind my #2 needs some oil. Also, I might have a slightly hard #2. I mean, the BBSA's are supossed to be "1.6" or whatever, yet mine feels much closer to my #1 than to my #2. Also, my #1.5, when I first got it, I could do like 10 parallel reps, yet I couldn't close the #2 (MMS). Now that #1.5 is filed a bit on both handles, which makes it hard for me to rep, but I can still close it from a wide set. I guess the filing must've made it closer to the #2 level. Still, even when I could do around 6-7 MMS reps on that one, I could barely MMS the #2. Now I'm not doing MMS anymore so I don't know.

I have another CoC #2 that's on the package, that and a #3. I will open the #2 when I get a bit stronger, and see if I can close it out of the package. But I wanna be closing my first #2 from a wide set before I do that.

I also have a BBM that seems to be harder than my #2, and most people's BBM's are easier. I think I have a tough BBM, it's a big jump from my BBSA.

Conclusion: grippers vary :tongue

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lifesnotfair

• Scott Styles

• superfeemiman

• Teemu I

Where did you buy your RB160 from? I bought a RB160 from FBBC and it is tougher than all 4 coc#2's that I own.

Hrm... I bought it from FBBC. I also bought an RB180 but I have not tried that one yet.

Keep in mind my #2 needs some oil. Also, I might have a slightly hard #2. I mean, the BBSA's are supossed to be "1.6" or whatever, yet mine feels much closer to my #1 than to my #2. Also, my #1.5, when I first got it, I could do like 10 parallel reps, yet I couldn't close the #2 (MMS). Now that #1.5 is filed a bit on both handles, which makes it hard for me to rep, but I can still close it from a wide set. I guess the filing must've made it closer to the #2 level. Still, even when I could do around 6-7 MMS reps on that one, I could barely MMS the #2. Now I'm not doing MMS anymore so I don't know.

I have another CoC #2 that's on the package, that and a #3. I will open the #2 when I get a bit stronger, and see if I can close it out of the package. But I wanna be closing my first #2 from a wide set before I do that.

I also have a BBM that seems to be harder than my #2, and most people's BBM's are easier. I think I have a tough BBM, it's a big jump from my BBSA.

Conclusion: grippers vary :tongue

Deadlift: 115x10, 145x10, 175x10, 195x10, 215x10.

This might be a PR but I wont call it until next session, where I plan to do 225x10.

For the first time ever, I tried a mixed grip. Man, it helps a TON, grip felt somewhat solid. I think I flexed the elbow of the underhand arm a little bit and it hurted for like a minute. Gotta focus on flexing the triceps in order to keep 'em super straight.

Barbell Lunges: 75x10, 95x10, 115x10, 125x10 ugly reps, 135x?? ugly reps.

I have issues here. And I'm positive it's because of my right foot being too damned plain. I think I need to go to a Doctor and have him make me those things you put in your shoes to creat an arch and better support. All these sets were EASY when the left leg is up front. But when the right is up front, even on the first set with the measly 75lbs, which truly felt like a joke with the left, felt very hard on the right, hard to keep balance even!! ... This is also why, when doing pistols, I always found them way easier with my left. I think I need what I just said, the foot supports made molded to my feet.

This workout was barefooted (just socks), as I've heard the less padding on the foot, the better. I was gonna quit here, because I was so tired, I was dizzy, I thought I was gonna pass out! It was damn hot too and I didn't have even a fan with me. But I rested about 5 mins. and got back to finish:

DB wrist curl: 20x10, 35x10, 42.5x10R / 6L, 40x10R / 6L - next time only 3 sets, I can't do many heavy sets of wrist exercises.

Pegasus extension: Not sure, but last two sets were 13.5x9 ... but it feels like more because of the distribution (3+2.5+2.5+1.25+1.25+3) ... then in the last set I removed the two 1.25 plates and used another 2.5lb, but got 9 again because I was wasted. Also did 4 sets here, should perform 3 next time of these too.

[Quick edit]: DB wrist curls not counting oly DB weight.

My bum is very sore today. I did squats some days ago (and going deep!), and I wasn't that sore. These lunges truly hit the bum. They seem like a good exercise, and for some reason I think it's good to perform at least one lower body unilateral exercise. I gotta fix my foot issues. I'll google up to see if someone else has the same problem.

Oh, and just a note: I picked my 30lb blob with both hands rather easily, no warmup, no chalk, just to move it. Tomorrow is my blob/pinch session, we'll see how it goes.

Edited by lifesnotfair

Pendlay rows: 95x10, 105x10, 115x10, 125x10, 135x7 or so (completed 10 but cheated reps).

Standing alternate HC's: 20x10, 25x8R/7L, 30x5R/4L (+ weight of oly DB handle)

2HP: 2-25's x10.

Blob 30 x 4 each hand, alternating hands.

Blob 30 x12 each hand, alternating hands - PR!

Blob 32.5 x2 each hand, alternating hands.

I tried the method of dragging the blob over my bench (on an incline possition), but the blob doesn't slide over the bench. I had a carton and it worked, but it was too small, I need a bigger carton and maybe the method would work. I was trying to drag my 35lb Blob as I can't yet lift it.

3-10's and 1-5 went up kinda solid with both hands, so I decided to try the next step...

4-10's x1 and at least a 5 secs hold, each hand! - PR!

Rested, and did this again. It was even harder, and I squeezed so hard, and held my breath, I almost felt like I was gonna pass out, right handed.. but rested a few seconds and did it leftie.

2-25's x1, using the Standard Barbell plates (same as the 10's).

However, I couldn't resist trying the Sport Authority 25's, which hadn't been touched in a long while.. they felt SUPER slick and couldn't do it. I guess I was getting kinda wasted at this point though.

I did some passes with the Standard 25's though, quick passes as they felt like they were going down everytime I let go with one of the hands, but I can see the benefit of this method... less time to grip, have to be more explosive.. I liked it.

So I tried passes with the 30lb blob and actually did a few. It's damn hard, specially since I can't grab it on top, have to grab it on the side when a hand is on top.

Then did the 32.5lb blob again x2, each hand, alternating, but this time I reapplied chalk between attempts.

Then tried passing the 30lb one again but was so hard, and realized I had ripped some skin on the right thumb. That's OK though, as the way I've designed my current schedule will have me doing pinch every 8 days.

IM Yellow extensors.

The bad news: the pain in the left hand is there. I don't know what it is, but I might be onto something, read on if it interests you: If i squeeze hard with only my thumb, ring and pinky, it's all fine. If I squeeze with the middle finger, it's a bit bad. And when I squeeze with the index finger, it's the worse. I think this might be caused from trying those blobs with all the fingers on on side. The thumb is not opposed to the other fingers, but if you look at your hand when you grab something wide (and your fingers a bit sepparated, not all together), it's more "opposed" to the bottom 3 fingers.. at least when pinching something wide. So, for wide pinching, I'm using the "David Horne Style" of blob lifting, which has the index finger on top of whatever you're pinching. I am thinking that if I had used that grip maybe I would have less pain. I'll see how it goes in my next pinch session. In my next griper session I might just train ring/pinky/thumb in order to let this pain go away, because the grippers might affect it.

Thank you both fellas.

However, saying that 4-10's is just astep under 5-10's, actually made me laugh! =P Because the difference from 3-10's to 4-10's is HUGE for me.. and I don't think it's because of the extra 10lbs, I'm willing to bet I would still find 3-10's + 10 lbs attached rather easy.. it's the width, I suck at wide pinch, that's why I'm working on it. I am just hoping to get 4-10's again in my next session and get better with the 32.5lb blob, and lift the 35lb eventually... I can't be too far, or I'd like to think so.

I took an extra day of rest, because sunday was a very long and tiring day (but fun!), and I didn't feel like working out by the time I had time. Also, glutes and quads were sore from the lunges a few days ago.

Squats: 95x10, 135x10 (wow, felt so heavy..?), 155x10, 165x6, 175x6 - completely sucked.

Romanian DL's: 135x10, 165x10, 195x10, 215x6, 215x6 - used mixed grip so it was my back that gave in. Kinda tired from those squats. Don't know why I felt so weak in this session.

DB wrist curls: 20x10, 30x10, 40x10R / 8L - not counting oly DB handle.

Pegasus extension, arms straight: 11x10, 12.25x10, 13.5x10. This is kind of a PR but I'll call a PR when I add another 1.25lb and get all ten reps. It weights more than what it looks like, because the setup is: 3+2.5+2.5+2.5+3 ... so the weight is very forward down the loading pin.

Floor press: 65x10, 95x10, 115x10, 135x9 - failed to push that last rep of the last set. The thing is, I'm doing them like Pavel suggests them on "Power to the People": you have the bar on top, inhale, lower it, exhale, inhale, push it, exhale, inhale, lower it, etc.... this breathing in both the top and the bottom possition makes the set last MUCH longer and become much more difficult.

DB pendlay rows: 20x10, 30x10, 40x10, 45 or 50 x10 (not sure). First time trying these, just because I read in an article than rowing with dumbells like this makes the lats contract more than with a barbell. Weight of Oly DB handle not included.

DB Hammer curls at the same time: 20x10, 27.5x8, then concentration style (still hammer), 25x6 or so. Again, + DB handle.

The forearm felt pretty pumped from these, and I feared I'd suck with the grippers...

LH: I finger rolled a dumbell since I'm nursing a bit of pain, and finger rolls cause no pain. I did many sets of 10, worked up to about 50lbs in plates.

RH: BBA x10 TNS. BBSA x4 inserting a gripper spring in every rep, up to the handle part.

RB160 x1 and a ~6 seconds hold - PR! Set was maybe 1.5" but using momentum, not paused and then closed.

Then I think I closed it two more times, but can't be sure. The first one was the only solid one, and I actually got that on video. I never record myself, but this time I decided to do it and I got it. I looked at the video like 10 times already, LOL, not used to see me on a gripper closing video.

Double filed #1.5 x1 with several seconds overcrush (I think it opens a bit after a couple of seconds).

#1 x 5 (or so?) inserting my sledge's handle between the handles in every rep. I will use this method more often, the sledge's handle is a tad over 1.5" so it's wide, but not ridiculously wide like CCS.

BBSA x clicks, not sure how many.

#2.5 x attempt - LOL.

Then I missed my filed #1 by 1/4" and realized I was done for the day, definitely.

RT: 70x10, 80x10R/8L ... weaker than last session. I lifted 100x1 and held it for over 10 secs rightie. So I then tried to set a PR of 110, and it kinda moved, but it didn't come up. I lowered to 105 and I lifted it about 4-5 inches, but then lowered it (not dropped it) because I knew I couldn't lift it. Left hand SUCKED on RT much more than the right, I think maybe all the sets of 10 with the finger-rolls had something to do with that.

IM Yellow bands x20, a few sets.

NOTE: I google'd about what exercises one could do when having problems in the AC joint... and in an article it was mentioned that bench and military press puts stress in the shoulder, but if one does it lowering only 3/4ths of the way, it's better for that joint. The Doc in San Antonio also mentioned that when I started I shouldn't go all the way down. That is why I chose to do Floor Press, as it definitely wont let me go all the way down. I feel good today, no pain in the joint, so this exercise is what I'll do.

Congrats on the close!

Thank you both fellas.

However, saying that 4-10's is just astep under 5-10's, actually made me laugh! =P Because the difference from 3-10's to 4-10's is HUGE for me.. and I don't think it's because of the extra 10lbs, I'm willing to bet I would still find 3-10's + 10 lbs attached rather easy.. it's the width, I suck at wide pinch, that's why I'm working on it. I am just hoping to get 4-10's again in my next session and get better with the 32.5lb blob, and lift the 35lb eventually... I can't be too far, or I'd like to think so.

True. But it seems easier if you think about this way: 3 10's is 75% of 4 10's, and 4 10's is 80% of 5 10's. :D

I have the video of the RB160 close and hold now, I know it's not the best, but it's my first video ever I think? Nothing to be proud of. When I can close my #2 I'll post a clear video. In here the set was not clear, but if you use slow motion or something you can see it was much wider than parallel, maybe 1.5" total, but I used momentum, didn't pause at that width. This was from the session of 10.10 although I had the same shorts as in 12.10 as you'll see in the DL video :tongue ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M6od6vte3Q

Deadlift: 115x10, 165x10, 215x10

230x9 - PR!

215x6 - tried using more leg.

You see, I asked my wife to tape me while going for my 230lb set, as I had never used that weight. My back doesn't seem to round, at least not until the last couple of reps. HOWEVER, I realized I'm doing this all wrong!!! My back seemed to be pretty much PARALLEL to the floor at the beggining of every rep!! Wtf? I think I'm doing all the lifting with my back, very little leg involved. How can I fix this? :(

Lunges: 95x10, 115x6.

Pistols: 2 sets of 3.

Box pistols - 2 sets of 10, on the top two possitions of my bench's seat.

Lunges: 115x10.

DB wrist curl: 25x10, 40x10R/6L, 32.5x18R/15L. (+ weight of DB)

Pegasus extension: 11x10, 13.5x10, 12.25x14.

I was very sad during this workout, because of that DL video. I wonder if I could injure myself because I'm doing it this way. My legs are weak, no wonder I can do more weight on what I think is a Romanian DL ... my back is stronger. And that's obvious from my lower squat poundage. I am embarassed to even show this, but here it is... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7dEsAtg-EI ... like I said, in the next set I tried having my bum at a lower possition and it did indeed feel much harder for me, but I don't think form was still correct, just a bit better.

Edited by lifesnotfair

Please, someone click on the videos above and help me with those deadlifts :)

Floor press: 95x10, 115x10, 135x10 - doing the breathing in both the up and the down possition.

Pendlay rows: 95x10, 115x10, 135x10 - last couple of reps weren't very strict, but getting better I think.

DB alternate hammer curls: 20x10, 25x9, 30x7 - +weight of oly DB handle, not a clue how much it weights.

RT: did some holds...

LH: I held 85lbs for over 10 secs, but then I couldn't keep 90lbs up for more than 3 or so secs. I tried to hit a PR at 100lbs and got plenty of air, but didn't get it.

RH: I held 95lbs for over 10 secs, but then I coulnd't keep 100lbs up for more than 4 or so secs. I tried to hit a PR at 110lbs, and got plenty of air, but didn't get it.

I pinched 4-10's with my right hand twice, and held for at least 5 secs in each. Not reps though, just two singles with rest in between.

Left handed, I couldn't lift them. From the floor, it seemed like the two outer plates wanted to "open up" at the bottom. Damn.

I worked some thumbs with the ISG for 3 sets too.

IM Yellow bands.

Have a read of this link and see if it helps:

http://www.dieselcrew.com/articles/deadlift101.pdf

I took a look at the videos, you are not deadlifting with optimal form, but it looks like you are keeping the spine in a safe position and keeping your shoulders back, so it seems like risk of injury is relatively low to me. I deadlift very rarely, however.

You might try this article series on mastering the deadlift:

Part 1 - http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1582703

Part 2 - http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1588392

Part 3 - http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1607555

First of all, congrats on that RB160 close. Where did you find it in the end?

I watched your DL video. You need to bring the hips much lower at the start and get the torso more upright. When you start the lift, do not initiate the movements by lifting the hips first. Back stays nice flat initially, so that's good. But towards the end of the set there's some rounding. Work on your form and leave the last heavy reps out until it's sorted.

Thanks to all of you, I'm reading a lot. The T-nation article clearly shows my flaw in Part II, the hips go up before the shoulders, and they should start going up at the same time, and obviously from a lower possition. However, at least my doubts are cleared and my legs don't need to be as low as I thought.. I was thinking that they should be at least parallel or below, but from the teaching videos, they are not THAT low. Next time I will try with lower weights and focus on pushing the floor away, and not pulling.. I find this makes almost no sense, but I will give it a try, heh.

tja: I bought the RB grippers from FBBC. I bought a 160 and 180, but have kept the 180 untouched for the moment. I wanted to first close the 160, then keep working on getting my rusty #2 from wide-ish set (I was getting it from a very deep set a couple of months ago but have stopped training very deep sets)... when I finally get my rusty #2 from a wide-ish set, I will try THREE grippers I am currently not using (lol). The first one I have tried, but not in a while.. it's my BBM. Then I have an unopened #2, and this new RB180 also never attempted. I am seriously hoping I have a hard-ish #2 and the new one will be easier.

Yeah, how far down your legs are depends on your torso and arms-to-leg ratio. Guys with longer torsos will be able to keep their spine in a neutral position without having to bend their legs a ton.

HERE'S THE THING!!!!

I just realized why I, who kept reading Pavel's rules on deadlifting, performed them in that fashion. One of Pavel's rules is to keep the shins as close to vertical as possible, even suggesting that you imagine yourself with your legs in concrete all the way up to your knee. So, if i grab the bar with the bar over the middle of my feet like I always do, and I try to maintain that angled-back as shown in the "correct deadlift videos", I notice my shins are not vertical. And when I "push the shins back" to make them more vertical, that's why I have my hips so high. I think I finally realized what I'm doing wrong, it's been bothering me for days now.

Just try for yourself: grab a bar in a DL possition, with feet under it, and without lifting the bar, try making the shins vertical - the ONLY way I can accomplish this, is by elevating the hips more, as I can't go backwards anymore.

Anyone else has read Power to the People by Pavel? He says that having the knees forward is bad form as they'd get in the way of the line of pulling, I believe. (page 89).

In that video of Part II of the links by Scott, I don't think the guy's shins are exactly vertical, although obviously not too forward. But, if they're kinda forward, then I have the same question as Pavel, how is the bar gonna make it through? Maybe the shins start getting more vertical once you start pulling? They'd need to be more vertical once you're a few inches off the floor in order not to hit one's shins.

Any input on this? At least I'm getting somewhere.

After work - 52 minutes walk - my car at the mechanic and walked home from work.

In the morning - 52 minutes walk - walked to work from home. Luckily my car was ready later this day, so no more walking for the moment.

After work, it was time to workout.

Front squats: 45x10 - wow, this is very hard on my shoulders, I tried various grips, with crossed arms, the "clean" grip, and even with some straps as I saw some websites recommending that grip for people without the required flexibility, the truth is, I found them all uncomfortable, and decided to go back to regular back squats.

115x10, 135x10, 155x8, 175x6 - damn, I'm sucking as of late!! .. I actually taped these last two sets to check my form.

155x8 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD2rKm4WLPs

175x6 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ_lV5aErHk

RDL: 115x10, 165x10, 185x10, 205x10, 225x10 - taped the last set: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUhZRgeKKUU

I was going to do DB wrist curls and Pegasus extension, but after the first set of each, I realized I shouldn't continue. I've had a pain in my right wrist since I had an accident about 2 weeks ago, and I haven't nursed the pain, so I quit on these. Damn. Grippers, however, weren't hurting, but I was demoralised and weak at this point, and I totally sucked. I got 5 reps with my #1 inserting my sledge's handle in every rep, and 10 reps with the BBA leftie in this manner. I didn't do much to be honest, wasn't feeling particulary strong and was kinda sad because of the crappy squat poundages and not being able to continue with my routine and doing the exercises I wanted. Oh well, it'll be better the next time I hope. I then set up a bucket with water and ice, and put my hands (including the wrist) in them for 3 sets of 2 minutes, alternating hands.

I am pretty sure my shins stay vertical as I squat down into that position. Maybe I'll do some deadlifts tonight and check on video. Could you have some sort of flexibility problem on your anxles or hips?

I am pretty sure my shins stay vertical as I squat down into that position. Maybe I'll do some deadlifts tonight and check on video. Could you have some sort of flexibility problem on your anxles or hips?

Scott: you can actually reach a barbell (with 45lb plates for example) on the floor, while keeping your back at what seems to be a 45 degree angle (give or take some, from what I see on most videos showing the correct form?), and have your shins vertical?

I think my ankles are fine, but that's because I can't see how ankle flexibility could prevent me from doing that.

However, I might not have very flexible hips. How do I check if this is the problem?

Try carrying the bar a little lower down your back on the squats, it looks like it's right on your neck, this will have the effect of pulling you forward and turning your squats into goodmornings.