• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lifesnotfair

• Scott Styles

• superfeemiman

• Teemu I

Jogged for a while. Couldn't really meassure how long it would've taken me to do this lap (same one I did about 10 days ago), because I was with my wife, and had to wait for her.. I tried to keep moving around her while she walked... she has no endurance, we gotta work on that. And I thought I had no endurance! =P It's probably because she hasn't tried to jog in years. I think she'll improve eventually. We'll also go there to do sprints once a week, or so I plan. I've read a lot on how sprints also help your long distance running, heh. Although I don't wanna run much more than this. A goal would be to complete this lap without stopping to walk... then to lower the time, but first of all, I gotta jog all the way through it, which is would be hard. I think it's like 6km.

Stretching.

Hip-belt squats, using loading pin on front for the first time, standing on some wooden blocks I bought:

50, 70, 90, 110, 130x5.

140x3, 135x5, 140x5, 150x3 (I think), 160x1 (bad rep, I leaned forward too much), down to 140x5.

I was lowering slowly until the loading pin hit the floor, at that point I was below parallel but not ATG (had my wife film a couple of sets). I really liked these!! Wanted to hit BWx1 but even the 160 rep felt very hard and I leaned forward a lot, so I wont try that weight again soon.

I don't know what my BW is by the way, I'm hoping it's just a tad over 170 but I might be 175, might weight myself today.

I still feel that I've got a TON of fat around me. And it's not psychological, it's for real, because I can grab it with my hand (not pinch it with my fingertips, but grab it!!). Sucks that I still am not doing more compound moves because of my shoulder. Which seems to be (very slowly) getting a bit better. Argh.

Grippers: LH: up to a #1.5 close, then #1x3 (almost 4!) with a 1.5" block in every rep. RH: Up to #1.5 CCS, #2 missed by 1/8", then #1x10 with 1.5" block in every rep.

Extensors with white and green bands, weak on these as well.

Some mild stuff, like glute-ham situps (over a bench), back hyperextension for time (10 seconds is a killer!), some BW box-squats (got 30 straight, made thigs burn a bit). Tried some 1-leg romanian DL's with no weight, just doing them slowly, working on balance. Also tried Bulgarian-Split Squats with no weight, focusing on flexing the hip and not the back... working on hip flexibility for squat depth.

Did some sprinting drills outdoors... just some funny-looking exercises for 10-20 meters.

Then tried sprinting over a distance I selected (no idea of the length, but it must have been a bit over 100 meters I think). It was a bit irregular, the ground.. it was grass to begin with, with bumps and stuff... and I was trying to run landing with the balls of my feet and not the heels... I did about 5 runs, the lowest time was 21 seconds, twice. I am very slow at running. Also, I got very tired near the end, no endurance... the last few meters were very tough, and I ended up completely out of breath. My hip flexors are still sore. And my feet/calves a bit too, because of this method of running (POSE method... which I probably wasn't doing right, but I attempted to).

Later that night I closed a couple of grippers, levered my 8lb sledge left handed, plate wrist curled 2-10's x3 left handed, plate-curled 25 left handed (a bit of swing though!), curled the oly bar, tried 1-arm pushup (left only, got it but didn't lower myself enough to count it).... and did some sledge rotations (this was the only thing I tried right handed as well, besides a couple of gripper closes). Man, those rotations leave me with the WORST soreness ever the next day (and the following few days). It's not like muscle soreness, it's kindof a soreness in the tendons... pronating/supinating my forearms right now hurt a TON, heh.

Still taking things very lightly.... went to accupunture today, inflamation seems to be gone, just a tiny little thing and not even on the AC joint, so I'm making progress, or so it seems.

BW was 175lbs fully dressed friday night, and ate a lot during the weekend. I see my upper body carrying less muscle nowdays, after all the "resting" I'm doing because of the bloody shoulder.

Good to see you still exercising despite the shoulder problem. As far as I can tell, everyone is training around something. Forward progress comes over time, keep with it!

Thank you Scott. It's very hard to "exercise" while trying not to use a shoulder... pretty much can't do anything upper-body wise, unless I decide to work just one side!!! :)

I liked the feeling of hip-belt squats so I'll keep with them. Also can do those hyperextensions and ab work that I never did. Also those hip flexors, which seem that I never in my life worked out, are being worked out recently. Also working on flexibility and stuff.... yeah, I'm not doing what I want, but there is no way I will just give up on everything. I look forward to the day I get back to chinning, rowing, and pushing stuff. I have gotten in touch with a chiropractor from another forum and I've learnt a lot about how the shoulder functions... and I've noticed that I was doing ALL of my exercises wrong, or most of them. I don't know if you've read about it... but when your arm is overhead, you should elevate the entire shoulder girdle up... and when it's down, like in a Dip, you should keep them down; because of gravity, the shoulders would want to do the opposite, but it's not like that. I've confirmed this through videos and stuff I've found, and I noticed this. I browsed through this log and found that Teemu once told me to keep the shoulders down while doing dips - I had no idea what he meant back then, I know now.

I have a plan on what to do after I'm totally pain free (hopefully soon now), and I really hope it works.

I read your blog the other day and noticed you lost a lot of weight, that is awesome, congratulations man.

Tried hip belt squats but I was sucking. I don't even know what else I did... some random stuff.

Tried to jog, man I suck at this, I ended up walking a lot and jogging little. 45 minutes or so, I think it was a 6km lap.

5 rounds for time of these:

30 squats

10 situps (similar to glute-ham situps, so one goes lower than just parallel)

120 rope jumps.

15 back hyperextensions

It took exactly 30 minutes and I was wasted. Need to do it faster.

Also, since that day when I did the max-effort stuff with that left wrist (8lb sledge lever, 2-10's x3 plate wrist curl for example), it hurts!! It's like I'm made out of glass, really, I hate that about me.

Tried hip belt squats but I was sucking. I don't even know what else I did... some random stuff.

Tried to jog, man I suck at this, I ended up walking a lot and jogging little. 45 minutes or so, I think it was a 6km lap.

5 rounds for time of these:

30 squats

10 situps (similar to glute-ham situps, so one goes lower than just parallel)

120 rope jumps.

15 back hyperextensions

It took exactly 30 minutes and I was wasted. Need to do it faster.

Also, since that day when I did the max-effort stuff with that left wrist (8lb sledge lever, 2-10's x3 plate wrist curl for example), it hurts!! It's like I'm made out of glass, really, I hate that about me.

Hello Arturo,

Have you ever heard of Z Health? I had some issues with my right shoulder (for 2 solid years!) as a result of being stupid with a kettlebell, a good friend of mine that is a Z trainer got my pain level from a chronic 7 (1-10 scale) down to a 1.5-2 within 15 minutes. I couldn't do a pushup or press a 16 Kg kettlebell without it causing me pain. Now I can press 40 Kg for a triple on a good day, with zero pain. Definitely nothing to brag about, but considering where I was before it makes me happy! I'm a die hard skeptic, and Z works so well that I'm in the process of getting certified. Everything I do training wise has got better as a result of Z. In a nutshell, it makes your body move more efficiently.

Not trying to sell anything, I just hate when stuff hurts and like to share things that have made me feel better!

Sincerely,

Jesse S.

I have never heard of this. What is it? I just bought a DVD on "Pain Free" workout.... lets see if this works before trying that other option. I don't wanna buy everything available online that supossedly helps with pain, because there are so many things being offered.

30 squats

25 sit-ups

120 rope jumps

15 alternate stepping lunges per leg (unweighted)

20 back extensions

30 box jumps (to the bench.. maybe 20" height)

120 rope jumps

15 bulgarian split squats (NOT alternate)

20 back extensions

50 bycicle abs (I wonder if this is called something else?)

30 squats

23 minutes to do this. The BS-squats burnt the most, and the back extensions that followed them felt much, MUCH harder than the first set of 20, had to make like 3 pauses.

Z Health is good science applied to movement. The system focuses on the nervous system and joints rather than muscles, the premise being that your muscles cannot function properly if your joints do not move properly. You can look at their website zhealth.net, there are also some Z trainers on Dragon Door's forum as well. There are plenty of details, you can email me if you like and I will do my best to answer your questions, or direct you to someone who can.

Don't get me wrong, the videos are excellent, but the money lies in having a session or 2 with a trainer that can actually show you the finer points of the movements. They can also emphasize specific movements suited to whatever "issues" you may have. The videos are a great resource though.

Take care,

Jesse

The problem is, any help would need to be online, as I wont find any trainer around here. I'll look it up right now.

2 minutes rope-jumping.

30 seconds rest.

15 tuck jumps.

30 seconds rest

5 rounds of these, and immediately:

2 minutes rope-jumping.

30 seconds rest.

20 sit-ups

30 seconds rest.

5 rounds of these.

I believe this took around 37.5 minutes, as the tuck jumps took me around 30 seconds, but the situps took almost a full minute. What a way to sweat!!

Hip-belt squats: 50x10, 85x10, 110x5 (?), then 125x3 x2 sets I think... wow, felt super hard today, weird.

Grippers (first time in ages, right thumb hurt, left wrist still hurt also.. hah): Up to #1.5 with both hands, then an overcrush (well, leftie it's more like a struggle to keep it shut, rightie it's an overcrush indeed); but missed the #2 by a good 1/8" or 3/16".. damn, shows the lack of training.

Back extensions: 3 holds at the top of maybe 20 seconds.

Crunches with legs at 90 degrees: 10, then 10 with a 10lb plate on top of head, then 10 with 20lb on top of head (VERY tough!!!).

30 squats

25 sit-ups

120 rope jumps

20 back extensions

120 rope jumps

20 back extensions

30 squats

Total: 18.5 minutes... wow, I was dying by the end, heh. The bulgarian-split squats are tough and I had to take a pause at 9 reps with both legs. The second set of back extensions was hard, but easier than last time, now I did 14, brief pause, and 6. The Lunges and bulgarian-split squats I do rather slowly, because I focus on form and balance on these.

Some Turkish Get-ups, 3 sets of 5 with 2.5lb on the oly dumbell. Will increase 2.5lbs each workout and see how I fair.

I haven't mentioned it, but for about a week I've been doing some posture exercises from a DVD I bought on it. It seems I have my neck forward (!), shoulders forward, hip rotated outwards, etc... hopefully I see results soon, if not, I'll drop it, but I'm hoping I will, just gotta keep with it for a while longer.

Just some bulgarian-split squats.. I lose balance with my right foot in front when I add weight.

1-leg RDL... too hard to balance on right foot when adding weight (and even without).

Just some holds at the top of a back extension possition, BWx20secs (with arms extended in front), 5lbx10sec, 10lbx10sec. (the poundage held in the hands, out there in front, makes a huge difference). Some crunches (not situps) but not much.

I was pretty sad/depressed the whole workout, just thinking about how much it sucks that I'm not working out the way I wanted... so I cranked out a pullup. A couple of minutes later I did another one. Then I tried a negative chin-up with my left hand while using only the middle finger of the right hand, I could lower pretty slowly but I reckon I can help a lot with that finger (but not as much as with the whole hand!). Tried the same thing using the pinky and got down much quicker, but not gravity-fast.

I was pissed so later I did 4 pullups or so. Could've done a maybe 1-2 more but stopped there. This is not bad because I always sucked with palms-away grip. So I haven't lost a ton of strength it seems, not in this movement.

And to finish it off, did 10 push-ups, which felt awfuly hard!!! I reckon I've lost the little strength I had in pressing movements.

Stretching and posture exercises. Then:

10 alternate box (15" box) pistols each leg.

15 tuck jumps.

15 hip extensions on a "Glute-Ham"-like setup.

20 crunches with his and knees at 90 degrees.

3 rounds in 17 minutes, wow, I was wasted by this. Out of breath all the time. The crunches weren't full sit-ups, just crunches without lifting my lower back off the floor. I didn't want it to involve my hip-flexors as they were being used in the tuck jumps, and to a point in the box-pistols (by the non-working leg). The most tiring was probably the tuck jumps, in terms of increasing my breathing rythm after being done with them.

The box-pistols became very difficult on rounds 2 and 3. Right leg, as always because of my right foot, isn't perfect.. the knee goes inward, I can conciously push it out but sometimes compromising balance because of the foot, argh. I will still work on it. The good thing is, I'm using 8 almost-identical wooden blocks for this height. Ideally, I'd want to be able to do some more consecutive box-pistols with good form, and then take one block off, and repeat when necessary. I'll stay with all of them for now.

35 squats

25 sit-ups

120 rope jumps

20 back extensions

120 rope jumps

20 back extensions

35 squats

Total: 18.5 minutes, same as last time. I had the time beat until the last set, but I decided to rest some extra seconds before doing the last set of squats.. and I shouldn't have done it, as the breathing at this point is so hard, it takes minutes to get back to normal.. I should've just finished.

The first exercises that required a pause were the box jumps, no way I can get 30 in a row right now, and the bench isn't even high, it's a small jump even for me.. but they make my breathing super heavy.

A good thing: I did both sets of hip extensions all consecutively today, so there's some progress.

I upped the squats from 30 to 35, I got the first set with no problem, but that last set... I stopped at 23 for a few seconds, and then at 32 (!) again.. man, I was dead tired at that point. I did pauses at 9 bulgarian-split squats with both legs, but I didn't get out of possition, just short pause in the top possition.

Stretching and posture stuff.

Turkish Get-ups: 3 sets of 5 with 7.5lb on the dumbell, each hand. Next time will be 10lb on it (still unsure how much my oly DB weight). I'm adding weight very slowly here. Slow reps, focusing on good form.

Hip-belt squats: 50, 80, 110, 120 x5. Then 130x5 x3 sets.

Standing Good Mornings: I'm not sure I'm doing them right, but I pull back as soon as I feel a stretch in the hammies, while trying to keep the lower back arched... 45, 65, 85, 105 x5.

Squats (been a while!! used some blocks of around 13.5" height, same I use for my bodyweight squats, to make sure of the same depth every time): 150x20 (13, brief pause, +4, brief pause, +3. The first 13 were done very quickly, almost like I had no weight).

Grippers: BBAx20, BBSAx1, #1.5 x1 each hand. RH: RB160 closed with a parallel set. #1.5 closed with CCS. LH: #1.5 barely missed with a very wide set. RB160 1/8" with a parallel set. Nursing my right thumb and my left wrist in the past couple of days/weeks, hence the lack of grip work. Haven't lost much strength hopefully.

I think I'm just not built to hold a bar over me. Even the light weight I used today, 105lbs, and with a huge towel folded over the bar (rolled over it!), I still felt it in my shoulder bones... this might have had something to do with my shoulder getting screwed, and the AC joint cartilague wearing out? Who knows. I need to get back to deadlifting though, I'm just not sure it would affect my healing shoulder.

20 miuntes rope jumping after all the stretching.

15 Glute-Ham-Sit-ups

15 tuck jumps

3 rounds in 16 minutes, was wasted.

Stretching.

TGU's: up to 10lb in plates in the dumbell. Increasing 2.5lbs every session.

Did some knee-pushups just to feel like I was doing something... then grabbed two 25lb plates with both hands and curled them 10 times. THen grabbed two 35lb plates but could only curl them 8 times with a pause or two... just felt like doing something.

Box Squats: 110x20 (10, 4, 3, 3, around 3 breaths at those pauses). Box is 13.5"... in my last update I made a huge typo: it was 105 and not 150lbs.

35 squats

25 sit-ups

120 rope jumps

20 back extensions

120 rope jumps

20 back extensions

35 squats

16.5 minutes, beat my previous time by 2 minutes I believe.

35 squats

25 sit-ups

120 rope jumps

20 back extensions

120 rope jumps

20 back extensions

35 squats

16.5 minutes, beat my previous time by 2 minutes I believe.

Good job. Nice to see you hanging in there despite adversity.

Thank you Odin! Doing what I can.

Yesterday me and my wife saw some progress in her training!! After having her do knee-pushups and then foam-roller pushups (with the roller a couple of inches below the knees in the shin, which also elevates her lower body thus making it harder than the knee-pushups themselves), she tried pushups for the first time in a while and got several sets of 3 reps!!! Full pushups!!! My oh my, at this rate she'll pass me since I haven't trained upper body in months. What a great joy. Now I must keep her doing DB rows (she's doing almost 30lbs per arm for 10 reps, most reps being good!), and chin-up negatives (she can now lower quite slowly). I think she's doing a great job.

While I was watching her, I hung from the rack, flexed my thigs hard, and tried to elevate my legs to horizontal, and GOT IT! I couldn't do it the last time I tried. I held it for a few seconds. A couple of minutes later, I decided to do a similar exercise to one CLimber511 showed... which was to elevate the legs like this, and then open-close them while horizontal (or parallel to the floor). I think his version was easier though, because 1) he hung from his triceps on two supports... I think it's easier than hanging from the bar? And 2) his knees weren't locked, unless I remember correctly. I always wanted to do this correctly. I think I will try the famous "hanging leg raise" exercise now, since I must be able to get at least a couple of strict reps (maybe 3?). I would eventually like to elevate my legs, with knees locked, even more upwards, but that seems way ahead of me right now.

A note: while being in this position (I think "L-sit"), the shoulders get in a different possition than just hanging... because I tried to do just the starting bit of a pullup and it seemed much harder than normal.

DL: 115x5, 165x5, 195x5 ugly reps. Too much weight or bad form, don't know... was unhappy all the workout after this. First time in months!

Hip-belt squats: 70x5, 100x5, 130x5 x3 sets.

RDL: two or three sets, it felt hard with weights that didn't use to feel hard.

Grippers: sucked.

Hanging Leg raise: two sets of at least 5+ seconds hold, still hard to even hold them there.

I just reliased (sp?) you're lifesnotfair. Nice log by the way :rock

Stretching.

Turkish get-ups: 3 sets of 5 with 15lb on the dumbell (total weight between 25-30 lbs). Lactic acid on the shoulder is a killer halfway through each set, wow. I started light (empty dumbell) a few weeks ago, and have been ading 2.5lbs every session.

Also did overhead shrugs with the same dumbell, and then plus 7.5lbs ... wow, I'm WEAK at this. This all trying to rehab the shoulder. Some pullup retractions as well, and stretching a bit with "band dislocates".

15 Glute-Ham-Sit-ups

15 tuck jumps

Two weeks ago it took 17 min, a week ago it took 16 min, today I decided I'd go for 4 rounds instead of 3... and got them, in exactly 20 minutes, so I improved in both workload and time per round average. It was devastating... What a way to be out of breath!!! I need some conditioning work, because this looks so simple on paper.

I got my new shoes (Vibram FiveFingers, yes, they do look very funny with the sepparate toes, but I don't care). So I went to where I go when I want to run... I stretched for a few mins, warmped up, and did 5 sprints. I have no idea about the distance, but it took 17-18 seconds every time. I felt slow (I *AM* slow), but running on grass, kinda uneven ground, sometimes avoiding to step on something.. it's hard. By the fifth sprint I was noticeably spent... you'd think you could do many sets of such a short race, but my goodness was it difficult to even complete it at the end. They were max effort attempts though.

The next day (sunday) I was sore ALL OVER. This is funny, because lately I've been working nothing but lowerbody and abs and stuff like this... and my legs were EXTREMELY sore, as were my obliques (?????). Hip flexors are killing me, hamstrings, calves.. (I was trying to run landing on the ball of my feet, like sprinters do, and not on the heel). Today (monday) I'm still very sore and I don't think I can do the programmed workout for the day, which I had been doing 3 mondays in a row.... I'll just stretch and stuff. I have a hard time walking.... like I said, the incredible thing is that if you look at all my workouts the past few weeks, you'll see I'm hitting hard on my quads, hip flexors, hams, abs, lower back... yet it's all KILLING me still 2 days later (except lower back). And I know this kind of soreness, and I doubt it'll be gone tomorrow :(