Are Weak Men Allowed To Post Routines!?

lifesnotfair

Good stuff. How's your shoulder doing these days?

Awful, but thanks for asking! :rock

I will have surgery in 8 days. Acromioplasty.... just to remove a bit of bone where the clavicle meets the acromion. I had an MRI done a week ago and it's definitely the only way to go, after a year and a half of not being able to properly train and bordering on depression!! Heh heh. Hopefully recovery will be quick and I'll be posting some of the great upper-body compound lifts I have NOT been doing lately... must get strong darnit! :)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lifesnotfair

• Scott Styles

• superfeemiman

• Teemu I

Good stuff. How's your shoulder doing these days?

Awful, but thanks for asking! :rock

I will have surgery in 8 days. Acromioplasty.... just to remove a bit of bone where the clavicle meets the acromion. I had an MRI done a week ago and it's definitely the only way to go, after a year and a half of not being able to properly train and bordering on depression!! Heh heh. Hopefully recovery will be quick and I'll be posting some of the great upper-body compound lifts I have NOT been doing lately... must get strong darnit! :)

Sorry to hear about the shoulder still bothering. Best of luck with the surgery, hope it'll go very well!

I messed up the dates of the last two workouts, they were on the 17th and 18th; the 19th was rest.

Today I wanted to do just two sets of the exercises, one as warmup, and one high-ish rep working set.

Squats to 6 wooden blocks (below parallel):

95x5, 125x20 - first stop to breath at 10. It was tough, but not super tough, might go up another 10lbs next time instead of 5!!

RDL:

165x5, 215x15 - first set DO, working set with mixed grip (right hand underhand). Will switch grip next session.

Pistols standing on 3 wooden blocks:

Slow negatives x5 each leg, 15 each leg. Wow, 15, that felt nice. With my left leg I first stopped to breath at 10 reps. With my right I stopped at 5 reps, and stopped several more times before 15, but never let my other foot touch the ground. My right foot's imperfections make some muscles in my shins BURN after a few reps with this leg, wow. I'm hoping with time, these muscles will strengthen themselves and I'll feel it more where it's supossed to be, and not so much in the lower leg!!! Heh heh.

Hanging leg raises: 10 reps, then a hold of close to 10 seconds, then another hold of 10 seconds. Tough to hold it, arms straight the whole time, knees locked the whole time.

I think I set all sorts of PR in every exercise today, a really good session. I'll have a mild upper body session tomorrow as I'm having surgery in 7 days. Today I went to the heart doctor, everything is fine. Also my blood and urine tests all came fine. I gotta go see the ortho again and provide all the results and see if it's still a go for next tuesday.

I can't do pistols :/

Probably lack of balance/flexibility, but definitely not of strength as you can squat very big weights!! That is what makes the Pistol a great exercise though, "functional" as some would call it, because it trains many things at once. I saw a video of a dude who did a Pistol with 85 or 95lbs in the overhead possition!!! That was inspiring to me, and I would like to do that someday, more than squat huge weights, really. Although that guy must squat more than your average Joe of course, but probably nothing that would amaze a bigger guy who trains for strength. I am going to estimate my weighted pistol at 50 pounds, from the 3RM I did a few sessions ago of 41-45lbs (depending how much my dumbell handles truly weight). But I did not hold that weight overhead!! That must make it a ton harder.

And don't come here making fun of me, if I made a list of stuff I can't do, that you can, I'd exceed the maximun post length :)

Just got back from the ortho again... brought all the tests results, etc, it's all clear, next tuesday at 6:00am I have to be there, darn, quite early. Be afraid Martin, I will be crazy strong by late '08 :tongue :tongue

I can't do pistols :/

Probably lack of balance/flexibility, but definitely not of strength as you can squat very big weights!! That is what makes the Pistol a great exercise though, "functional" as some would call it, because it trains many things at once. I saw a video of a dude who did a Pistol with 85 or 95lbs in the overhead possition!!! That was inspiring to me, and I would like to do that someday, more than squat huge weights, really. Although that guy must squat more than your average Joe of course, but probably nothing that would amaze a bigger guy who trains for strength. I am going to estimate my weighted pistol at 50 pounds, from the 3RM I did a few sessions ago of 41-45lbs (depending how much my dumbell handles truly weight). But I did not hold that weight overhead!! That must make it a ton harder.

And don't come here making fun of me, if I made a list of stuff I can't do, that you can, I'd exceed the maximun post length :)

Just got back from the ortho again... brought all the tests results, etc, it's all clear, next tuesday at 6:00am I have to be there, darn, quite early. Be afraid Martin, I will be crazy strong by late '08 :tongue:tongue

Still can't do pistols... :/

For time:

6 push-ups, 3 swinging pull-ups - 10 sets - the swinging made the pull-ups too easy, so I changed numbers:

3 push-ups, 5 swinging pull-ups - 5 sets - the push-ups felt easy now at only 3 reps, bad choice, so I changed numbers yet again!

6 push-ups, 5 swinging pull-ups - 5 sets, the toughest for last.. should've used these numbers from the beggining, maybe even a couple more push-ups.

Total: 25 minutes. Push-ups: 105; Swinging pull-ups: 80.

In round 16 or 17 of the 10 total sets, I saw a big chunk of skin tore from my left ring finger, so I quickly applied some electrical tape over it and finished the workout. Wow, it truly ached when I washed it and cut that excess skin, now have a band-aid. Hands hurt a ton from this workout. I was lucky to only rip that one callus and not all other ones. As you can see, I did this for time.. I was aiming for 10 minutes, and I got the first 10 rounds in about 10 minutes, but I guess I started resting a few more seconds as sets went by. The swinging pull-ups were all overhand, and the swing makes a huge difference of course, there's no way I could've gotten all this reps strictly. I did went to deadhang and cleared my chin over the bar in every rep. I tried a deadhang CHIN-up before the very last set, and I couldn't even reach halfway up, heh.

Squats: 95x5, 135x20 - PR. Brief pauses at 10, 14 and then some more. Butt touched 6 wooden blocks in every rep.

Pullovers: 10x20 (just to "stretch the ribcage")

RDL: 165x5, 225x15 - I had to tape my left ring finger because of how messed up it is, and it held up fine! (Left hand underhand this time).

Pistols, standing on 2 wooden blocks: 5 slow negatives, then holding one empty dumbell with both hands (just one DB, not two) x15 each leg. These weren't consecutive reps, it took a while to finish the set. With my left leg, it was better as the right foot never touched the floor. With my right, I had to briefly touch the floor with my left leg in order to let a huge burn in my lower-leg muscles go away a bit before continuing. I also bounce a bit at the bottom but I guess at this stage I will allow myself to do that.

Hanging leg raises: 10, 10, 1 (about 11-12 seconds hold on top for this third set). Elbows and knees straight, feeling just a little less hard than before.

I will do another session like this on monday, the day before my surgery.

Lats are pretty sore from all the kipping pullups I did a couple of days ago!

Looks like a solid workout! Congrats to your PR!

Albatross.

You and your love for "albatross".... sorry mate, but I don't swing that way! :cool

You and your love for "albatross".... sorry mate, but I don't swing that way! :cool

You just stand there and flap with your arms. :D

100 swinging pull-ups

100 push-ups

100 sit-ups

100 unweighted squats

This took 50 minutes. The pull-ups alone, even while they were swinging to use momentum and make them easier, took about 20 minutes, I first did 10 and then sets of 5. The push-ups took long but not as long, but I'm out of shape in them since I haven't trained pressing movements in a long while due to the shoulder, I did sets of 10 up to 50 or 60, then sets of 5! .. sit-ups were easier, did 20 and then sets of 10. Squats were 35-30-25-20-15-10 without much rest between sets.

The tougher part was continuing after the pullups, even though I wore gloves (which I never do!), I ripped open 3 holes in my palms (2 right, 1 left), I'm talking huge holes, 1cm diameter almost. But I finished the workout anyways.

Man, 50 minutes... I'm out of shape.

I wanted my last session to go with style before the surgery.... so... after throughfully warming up, I did:

Squats to 6 wooden blocks: 95x5, 145x20 - PR!

Pullover: 20x20

Chin-ups: 10

Push-ups with feet elevated: 20.

Hamstring raise on the floor, with a push-up to start: 10 or so.

Chin-ups: 10 (what a struggle this second time. Both sets strict, no swing)

Push-ups with feet elevated: 17?? Man was I tired.

Alternate pistols standing on 2 wooden blocks: 40 total (20/leg): physically, I know I could've done more, I wasn't yet struggling to get up, but so many reps were very tiring, my breathing was heavy and even my shoulders felt heavy (from extending the arms for balance), so my mind beat me and made me stop.

A big hooray on the squats. 145x20 is huge for me. This was hard, only the first 8 were consecutive, then I had to breath a couple of times, and continue in sets of 2, until the last 3 or 4 which had breaths of their own.

I don't know if even after my surgery, I will be able to squat with a regular barbell. Even with the big towell wrapped around, it seriously bothered my shoulder bones! I dunno if I'm doing it wrong, if I have too small traps, or if I'm just structured in a way that makes barbell squatting a problem. Argh!! I filmed myself, and I seem to raise my shoulders and hips at the same time, not like I used to (first hips, then shoulders, doing a "good morning" in that manner!).. so I think my form is good enough. And depth is good, I don't go lower because my butt "winks" under me, but this is below parallel.

I gotta be at the hospital at 6:00am tomorrow... I rented a film this weekend, called Awake, and it says that some people with general anesthesia, feel awake, and feel the pain and stuff, but cannot move to express so... that was NOT a good thing to find out 2 days before surgery. I sure hope I don't feel them cutting off my clavicle. :angry:

hola arturo como estas? espero que mejores con la cirujia. tienes un volumen tremendo en tus rutinas. :bow

Hola aquilonian!! I miss talking to you in spanish, you were the only one I could type in spanish to... but I'm always afraid of typing stuff you wont understand, although you seem to know a lot! Gracias por el comentario!!! :)

I forgot to mention that I skipped the Romanian DL's this session because of the huge holes in my palms from the 100 kipping pullups from two days ago. I wrapped a towell around the bar for the chins, and hung basically with my fingers so it didn't hurt much... but for the RDL I would have really screwed up my palms and I don't need that on the day before a surgery.

Had surgery, all fine Dr. says.... sucks to have my dominant arm in a sling.

Had surgery, all fine Dr. says.... sucks to have my dominant arm in a sling.

Poor you!

I hope it went well for you!

Thx for the responses people. I got the bandage changed today, finally saw the wound, it's 8 stitches and seems like it's healing very properly. Dr. confirmed he took out about 4mm from both the clavicle and acromion. I have to wear the sling for a total of 10 days!! Sucks. I've been feeling well though, been renting and watching a few movies, some have been good. Before the Devil Knows You're Dead has been the best one of them so far.

bencrush: If you don't see a lot of gripper workout recently it is because I decided I need a much stronger base before specializing on grippers. It took me a long time to realize this, but I finally did. Someone who finds it hard to hold 200 pounds double overhand on a regular barbell, should not even think about grippers... it's what I think. Once I heal I will get back to compound moves, and the "compound" moves of grip (probably wrist strength?)... but no specialization for a while. Need to get stronger at the basic lifts. Thx for asking though!

Awsome! its time for rest. yes! surgery is always a good reason to chill out :laugh .

If I dont understand something in Spanish I'll look it up, no problem. :)

Right on Arturo. Heal up quick man. I was asking about the grippers because I think the OBT videos might interest you. They're on my blog. I've had some guys reporting back to me on some pretty good gains with them.

After a few days of MASSIVE eating ("honey, I just had surgery, be sure to buy lots of oreos, chocolat, etc at the supermarket"... lol) and almost no activity, I started seing fat gain. Yes, I gain fat very fast, specially when I go into "to hell with it" mode, in which I seem to eat as if it was my last day alive. A few days of being in this mode, and the fat starts accumulating. I'm not lying, and it's not in my mind, I'm telling the truth. However, starting this month I decided enough was enough so I'm eating properly again and, counting today, I've "exercised" for 4 days straight. "What, with a surgery??", yes, I can at least WALK! So I've taken a round trip around a park that's near where I live, and it has taken ~57 minutes everyday, walking at a rather fast pace, keeping I'm mind I'm walking, not jogging or anything. Needless to say, feet and some muscles are a bit sore! Hah, from walking, that's unbelievable. I will keep this up until I can do some other stuff!

Anyways, 2 days from now (friday) I should have the stitches removed and begin therapy. Can't wait! It hurts if I try to front raise my arm, so I don't try to do it. Doesn't hurt to rotate it internally or externally.

I took my son to the doctor (with my wife driving of course) yesterday at about noon and, since I always weigh myself in there, I weighed in at 78kg (172lb) fully dressed, shoes, wallet, cellphone, watch, pants, etc... oh my, am I finally gonna get below 170? That's cool and all, but I have less muscle than last year since lately I didn't (COULDN'T) train like I should. If (when!!) I reach 160 it would mean that at one point in my life I weighed 100lbs over that... nice accomplishment I guess.

I also walked on thursday the 5th, so thats 5 days in a row. That day was the fastest, 56 mins of walking. I later got the stitches removed on this day (9th day after the operation).

Friday was rest day (day 10 after surgery), not even walking.

I decided to try something that looked more like a work-out. Taking care of my shoulder of course, so I did this:

100 alternate pistols (50 per leg) - did it in 10 sets of 10 with very little resting. I held a 5lb plate in my left arm, which I front raised in most reps to help with balance, since I kept my right arm tucked into my body (right fist touching right pectoral).

50 sit-ups, with butt on bench and feet anchored on power rack, so going down beyond parallel until head almost touched floor (rubber mat), did this in 5 sets of 10 with little rest. Knees locked all the time of course.

50 back extensions, upper-leg on bench and back of feet anchored on rack: 5 sets of 10 with little rest.

This took about 35 minutes and I felt like puking for the following few minutes!!! It was very tiring.

It was hard to do those pistols using just one arm for balance, because I also had to "not tense" the other arm. In about 3 reps out of the total 100, if I kinda "pushed" with my right arm it hurted a bit, luckily it happened only a couple of times. Also, left delt was getting tired with the 5lb in that hand all the time.

I've been doing some "pendulum" with my right arm and I think I'm doing great. It's all I'm doing until monday morning when I finally go to physical therapy (that'd be day 13 after surgery, I would've started sooner but they said starting on a friday wasn't a good idea). I can front raise my arm to shoulder height now, and side raise it even higher... so I think I'm recovering nicely. We'll see what the therapist say. I set my mind for 2 months until I'm doing workouts that at least include pushups and holding onto heavier weights, but if it happens any sooner I'd be glad.

I ate a ton during the weekend, and monday was my aniversary.. man I'm balooning. I have to seriously commit to eat right. Today is my 2nd day now, starting over, *sigh*.

Today was also the fourth day of therapy, it's been 16 days since surgery. I can now move my arm to almost every place. The toughest, and still painful movement, is to try and move it across my body. I can barely touch my other shoulder. With help from the other arm, I can put my whole palm in my left upper-back, and without pushing hard, just moving the arm towards that point. But with my own muscles, it hurts to try and cross the arm, or to front raise it with a very close angle to my body.. I can front raise it a little bit to the side with no problem and can put it overhead!!! So recovery is quick I suposse. Today I did a workout, first since that last one I posted. That one left me with sore quads for 1 or 2 days, but the soreness in the glutes and abs was killing me up until yesterday.

As many rounds in 20 minutes as I could, of:

10 alternate pistols (5 each leg).

10 sit-ups (butt on bench, feet anchored on power rack, letting my head almost touch the floor in the bottom possition. Knees locked all the time).

10 hip extensions (upper thigs on bench, back of feet anchored on rack).

I did 6 rounds and I think I had one minute left, but I was just so wasted... felt similar to the last one, where I wanted to puke, except today was less harsh, after a couple of minutes I was fine.