• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lifesnotfair

• Scott Styles

• superfeemiman

• Teemu I

i agree with the other comments, you should use this time to read up as much as you can, maybe work out a new training regime with the new things you learn, especially if you feel there are any weak parts to your training. then just work on your stretching and fitness. ive had a frozen shoulder a couple of times, and its taken months to recover from as i didnt do any rehab work, and that wasted so much of my time, and has made my shoulders a weak link, but kb work seems to be helping out that at the minute. so make sure you keep up the rehab work, and you might not lose a lot of your strength.

Thanks a lot for the comments egg_uk.

Yes, I have read about Kettlebell exercises for "Mobility and Stability", also known as "Mostability", or so I've read. I've actually grown to LOVE some exercises like Turkish Get-ups, Windmills and Renegade Rows. Although I do not have kettlebells, I find that a dumbell is a PERFECT substitute for these particular exercises, and I actually fail to see how a Kettlebell is superior in these particular ones. (I'm not saying KB's are not better, they must be better for other stuff like the swings and whatever, but in this ones it seems a DB is pretty much the same to me in this ones). And those are very oriented to the shoulder, at least windmills and TGU's. I did 70lbs a hand for the windmills for 6 reps, but it was very hard, although form was good. TGU's are tough, most I got was like 30-35lbs for 5-6 reps, lactic acid keeps me from doing anymore reps, heh. Once my pain is gone and I can get back to lifting well, I will definitely focus on these, and just a few other compounds lifts... that's the plan anyways.

20 sets of rope jump, 1.5mins jump 30 secs rest. Total 30 mins jumped in 40 mins time.

I think I've been eating properly all week, but today was a cheat day, oh well. :)

After doing the shoulder stuff (only two times today), I decided to hit some blockweights... I got 5 reps right handed, left handed was kinda down, only got around 3. Damn, another thing to be frustrated about is the fact that the left hand responds the same as with grippers... when I lift it, no problem.. after I set the blob down, a pain shoots through that hand. :(

It's weird, I actually got a couple of inches of air on the 35lb blob, LEFTIE, AND using the bottom 3 fingers, with the index finger lying on the top of the blob, close to the edge. It seems I can get a better grip like that. My hands are so small, and I don't mean the length (7-1/4" I think), but my thumb is not too "sepparated" from the palm (this is the best I can describe it)... meaning, my palm isn't wide... so if I try to grab the 35lb blob with the whole thumb on one side of the blob, the index finger's middle joint will be at the other edge. Now, if I bring the index finger up, the other fingers get better possitioning, meaning maybe I can lift more like this, who knows. I did some sets two handed using only thumb and upper two fingers, and thumb and bottom fingers. I did a couple of attempts at my 2-25's and only one was good, rightie, with authority in that one, but failed another few times. I did a good negative leftie on the 35lb using the bottom 3 finger's technique. Also got those 2-25's up using the thumb and bottom fingers.

I wonder if it's best for me to try to keep the whole thumb on the side of the blob, or if I should put the thumb knucle (the last knuckle, the one closer to the nail) on the edge so the other fingers get better possitioning on wider objects? So far I've always placed the first thumb knuckle over the edge (knuckle closer to palm)... damn, having small hands SUCKS, and having the left one hurt after releasing grippers and blobs is even worse, ARGH!!&^%#

I guess all I do is complain. Bah, call me whiney, but at least I refuse to quit!! :mosher

30 mins of rope jump in 40 mins (1.5min jump, 30 secs rest).

Still doing the shoulder therapy exercises, twice a day.

Was gonna do some single leg step-ups.. felt like crap with right leg. It feels so weird on that leg, like I've stated before, the knee wants to go inward, and it's just hard.. I think I can blame this on my plain foot. Oh well. I think the only unilateral leg movement I will do is lunges, once my shoulder heals and I can hold weight normally. Not that I couldn't right now, but don't wanna push it.

I tried the 30lb blob and I was horrible, seriously. And left hand feels a huge pain on top of my wrist when I let go of the blob, don't know why.

I did manage to lift my tough 2-25's with the right hand, several times, at least 5 times to full lockout... not consecutive though. I couldn't do it leftie, but got air several times. I actually went nuts with my sledges and was lifting them on the wide side with just thumb and one finger and stuff... just for a change. Was frustrated that I sucked at the single leg stuff and at the blob, argh. I can't warm-up for blobs like I'd do for other stuff though, I sweat a lot and it's hard to keep my hands try even with a towel and chalk. I gotta warmup in another way, just moving the hands or something, but not jumping or anything that gets me sweating, then it's a pain to workout like that.

Yesterday was my dad's birthday, but I had to congratulate him on the phone since he's in China with my mom. Cool stuff. Even cooler is the fact that I'll go to Hong Kong in november to meet my wife's dad, who's Chinese and lives there. And even cooler is the fact that I think I will visit a Doctor in Texas in less than a month, a very well known shoulder doctor!! And I'm mixing it up with a business trip so it wont be super expensive.

Rope jump: 20 sets of 1.5 mins with 30 secs rest, so 30 mins of jumping in 40 mins. Was wasted at the end, and had to do the shoulder strengthening exercises after that.. been doing them 2x a day since last friday, and will continue religiously even if it feels silly.

Wife squats: 5x20, many pauses in the sets (breathing 2-3 times before going down again), very hard.

Grippers, right hand only...

BBAx20

BBSAx15 opening to at least 1".

Filed #1 x9

Filed #1.5 x7 - PR! Parallel reps here.

Filed #1.5 x6-7, don't remember.

#2 x1 - I think I got it, parallel set, held for a couple of seconds, I *think*.

#1.5 wide set overcrush.

#1 CCS - was very hard, feels ridiculous

I did 4 attempts at the #2 with a wide set (for me, wide is maybe 1.5" ?? just enough to get my fingertips around). I got to 3/16" in all, I think. Maybe almost 1/8" in one or two of the attempts, but don't think so.

This wide set stuff produced a little callous in my little finger's fingertip, because it has to slide around the handle.

The shoulder feels worse than in past days. So either the squats or the grippers did something. I'm thinking it was the grippers. Only way to find out is to once again give it a couple of days, and once it starts to feel better, to perform only one exercise and see how I feel the next day, to see which ones make it hurt and which not. But until it's feeling better, nothing again....

Rope jumping: 10 sets of 3 mins with 1 min rest (30 mins of jumping in 39 mins). Was a bit easier than doing the 20 sets of 1.5 mins with 30 secs rest, I think.

I am going to see a Dr. in nearly 3 weeks in Texas, an associate of Dr. Rockwood, who's written many articles and I think books on Shoulders, and wrote the exercises that the Dr's over here recommended me. Hopefully this guy will know what my problem is, and how to treat it. I was saving up AAdvantage miles to go up there and at least save the ticket money, but since I'm going to Twinsburg OH for business, and then a day in Houston TX, then going to San Antonio wont be too bad, so I wont even have to spend my Miles and will keep saving them for a vacation next year with my wife and son, who pays like $12 to go the States before he's 2 years old (so I have until December 2008, more than enough).

Yesterday I lifted a stove and a fridge (not by myself) and the shoulder didn't feel any better. I said screw it and did a little bit of stuff today...

-Some pushups with feet elevated (maybe 2' elevated). Got a set of 20

-3 sets shoulder presses alternating every rep front/back: 46x12, 66x12, 76x6 or so.. felt very hard with 76.

-DB tricep extension behind head, 16x12, 20x10, 26x6 - either strength is down or the previous exercises smoked the tri's.

-6lb sledge @ 8" from head x20 each hand, front lever.

-6lb sledge @ 16" from head x10 each hand, rear lever.

-DB wrist curl: 30x25 each hand.

-Pegasus extension: 11 (3+3+5) x15.

These last four exercises were just one set each just pretty quick.

I think I'm losing weight. Recently I've started to lose fear of sugar, and I'm eating stuff I was refusing to eat previously, like cereal and granola bars, and milk. I'm now sometimes having breakfast with cereal (not the ones filled with sugar though, but the ones with fibers and proteins, the healthier ones) with milk. I am also adopting the habit of eating between foods. I'm bringing something to work to eat in the middle of the morning (10am or so), and something to eat in the middle of the afternoon (maybe 3-4pm). I was reading how this is good to keep the metabolism up all day, and since I'm hungry ALL THE TIME, it seems like a better solution to try and feel good, rather than trying to have a huge lunch so I could make it all the way through dinner without eating. I'm bringing either a granola bar or a fruit (apple, or banana, for example). And now I don't worry about needing to eat a huge lunch, just regular, good lunch. (usually meat and veggies).

Anyways, yesterday I assembled my power rack from New York Barbells, recommended by Scott Styles. Thanks Scott, this is a great piece. The 28 bolts made it for a good workout to just put this thing together, so I did nothing else. But today I had to go back to the appartment (still not moved in, will be in 3-4 weeks) and I just had to have a workout with my new equipment.

Squats: 45x10, 95x10, 135x10, 160x10, 185x6 - I had not squatted in a long while, didn't seem to lose strength.

Romanian DL's: 135x10, 160x10, 185x10, 205x8, 205x8 - grip was limiting factor, specifically left handed. I should start doing one-hand DL's on this bar, to improve my supporting grip.

DB lunges, one side at a time, feet fixed in possition (not taking steps): 20x10, 40x10, 60x10 (plus weight of oly DB in each hand obviously). Very hard at this point, specially with my right leg, which is always weaker in unilateral leg exercises. Those guys forgot to ship more spring collars, I only have two, so I just used it in the back of the DB's, and grabbed it more towards the front, so the plates in the front side wouldn't slip, as it'd be pointing a bit forward. The plate's edge was then against my forearm and it was very uncomfortable. I need two more spring collars, apparently they only included the two for the barbell, and none for the DB's, argh!! My only complaint.

I have now 1.25lb discs, 2.5lb discs, 5lb discs, etc... will be able to microload nicely.

When the guy from Weightlifter's Warehouse told me the DB's weighed 15lbs, I thought it was each, but I think it's both combined, so each is 7.5lbs give or take a pound, I guess. It's good to know, because if they were 15lb each I would have needed to also take my old crappy weightset with me so my wife could do some of the exercises (still very weak at stuff like shoulder presses).

I was at my appartment again today cleaning stuff and I took my Super Bench out of the box, it's SWEET. I couldn't resist and tried some pullups on the power rack, did 8 deadhang reps with an overhand grip, wow, and I had not tried chins in ages... strength actually seems to have gone up on these, and I was tired to begin with, was after a lot of cleaning and sweating and drinking no water. I also picked the 10lb plates by the hub... these plates have a very short hub, if you know what I mean... not deep at all, it's big and wide, and you can only put a fraction of your fingertips around it, so even the 10lb's were really hard to keep for more than a few seconds. The 25lb one is out of the quesiton. The hubs on these plates are like 1/3 of the deepness of the IM Hub device, and they are sloped, they don't go down straight, to make it even worse. The plates say Standard Barbell on them. I think they're made by Troy Barbells? Not even sure.

Then I came home and lifted the 30lb blob a couple of times. Still feels kinda hard, argh. I tried grippers and got 30 wide reps on the BBA right handed, 14 left handed (I can't do wide reps well on this hand due to the middle knuckle on my middle finger). But then I tried the filed #1 rightie and could barely close it, lol.... I know I shouldn't have tried grippers since yesterday I did Romanian DL's which tax my grip. I decided to just do some high rep stuff....

Pegasus extension: 11lb x15-16

DB wrist curl: 26x22R, 26x20L

6lb sledge front lever: 10" x12 BH

6lb sledge rear lever: 18"x10 BH

TTK: 15lbsx30

Just had to try out my power rack in my appartment....

Pendlay rows: 65x10, 95x10, 115x10, 135x10.

Pull-ups (palms away) from a deadhang: 6, 6, 6 - was tough, yesterday's set of 8 while toying around in the appartment might have had some effect.

Bench press: 75x10, 115x10, 135xbarely 10 - wow, very hard. I had not done any form of bench press in a long while, and strength seems a bit down.

Standing military press: 45x10, 65x10, 75x10, 85x6 - strength is definitely down on these, and shoulder felt a bit awkward. It also felt awkward in pull-ups, but now in the pendlay rows or bench, I think.

I'm thinking my shoulder ought to be hurting a bit when I visit the Doctor, so everything is clear. If I rest and I go seemingly "healed", he might not spot what's wrong and then maybe I get back to lifting and pain comes again. I didn't go for low reps anyways, so it wasn't like I was maxing in every set.

It sounds like the home gym has come together nicely. Good job on the squats and romanian deadlifts.

I found it helpful to have a specific written list for the doctor of what motions made my shoulder hurt and why. Be prepared to keep questioning him and do not let him out of the room until you get the answers you want. The doctor I went to was an expert in his field, and to some extent, acted like it. He wanted to get in there, give me the 5 minute look over, and spit out a diagnosis. I made sure he took the time to understand my problem and explain it to me. He was annoyed by this I am sure, but it really paid off when I was communicating with the physical therapist to work on the problem.

It sounds like the home gym has come together nicely. Good job on the squats and romanian deadlifts.

I found it helpful to have a specific written list for the doctor of what motions made my shoulder hurt and why. Be prepared to keep questioning him and do not let him out of the room until you get the answers you want. The doctor I went to was an expert in his field, and to some extent, acted like it. He wanted to get in there, give me the 5 minute look over, and spit out a diagnosis. I made sure he took the time to understand my problem and explain it to me. He was annoyed by this I am sure, but it really paid off when I was communicating with the physical therapist to work on the problem.

Scott: The Dr. I'm going to see is an associate of Dr. Rockwood, who wrote the book/articles about the shoulder subluxation stuff, and according to the Dr.'s in here is THE authority in shoulders. Charles Rockwood, you can google him. He refered me to this other fella, who apparently is very good as well, and works in the same university. I'll tell him everything... as a matter of fact, I've told him everything by e-mail and he says it doesn't sound too bad, but of course he can't say without seeing me. I'll be arriving in San Antonio in the eveneing of thur Sept. 13th and will be at his office early friday 14th. I'm scared that he'll be too quick as well, but I've made my best effort to try and look desperate and in need of help, coming from overseas to see a good Dr., etc...

RH:

Grippers:

Filed T x10 NS

BBSA x12 wide reps

Filed #1.5 x1 wide rep (wow, was shocked I couldn't get a second rep.... hand is tired from doing pullups two days in a row though, it gets tired easily :angry: )

#2 x0 - two attempts from a wide set, got it to 3/16" or so on both, turned into negatives.

#2.5 negative from a widish set... (could only get to maybe 5/8", not sure) then turned into a negative.

Filed #1.5 x1 - if that, not even sure.

BBA x15 or so, just a couple, pinky skin was in pain from the wide sets.

LH:

RT:

60x15

70x15

80x15

90x7 - wow, what a shock, PR!.

100x1 sloppy rep.

100x1 and held for at least 5 seconds. PR! Then did maybe 3-4 more singles at this weight and maybe 2 failed attempts.

I then tried some right handed, but that hand was tired from grippers... got 100x5 (definitely another PR!) and got 105lbs up. I tried 110 but couldn't do it, but I know for sure without all the gripper work I could've gotten it.

I used no chalk today on the RT, just drying the hand with a towel, so it wasn't so slippery.

Also no chalk on grippers.

Pegasus extension: 11lbs x18

DB wrist curls: 36x22R, 36x15L. (NOTE: Last time I did this was also 36lb, although it says 26lb in the entry from two days ago). I think I sucked leftie today because of all the RT I did on it.

6lb sledge front levers: 13 reps each arm at 10" from the weight.

6lb sledge rear levers: RH: 10 reps @ 18", LH: 1 rep @ 18" and felt weird, so I just quit.

TTK: 15x30, 20x15 (using both hands).

Extensors, one of my yellow bands broke at ~40 reps, weird. I wanna get a bucket of sand or another way to train extensors, I hate the bands, and fingers like the pinky has a small ROM when opening the darned band.

Squats: 45x10, 115x10, 155x10, 175x10, 185x6, 195x3 - PR! - I have never gone over 185 before. I felt like I could've gotten a fourth rep and *maybe* even a fifth, but it was too much of a struggle already, and first time ever using this weight, so I didn't want to push it.

Barbell Lunges (one side at a time, feet fixed in possition): 65x10, 95x10, 115x10, 135x10 - For some reason this is sooo hard when my right leg is in front, don't know why.

I was too wasted to do any type of deadlift, seriously. Instead I decided to just do a couple of rack pulls, from over knee height, and just hold the weight... I held 225lbs for maybe 10 seconds and it felt like it was slipping since the first few seconds. My supporting grip really needs some work. Oh, and previous to this I did 80lbsx10 on 1 hand deadlift (from floor) each hand, then upped to 95 but for some reason I couldn't find the center of the bar, I could deadlift it with both hands but one side would be wanting to go up. I was so darn tired anyways that I didn't continue with them. If I can squat 225 this year for reps, I will be quite happy. I'm going deep on my squats though, deeper than parallel I'm sure.

Nice work on the squats and Rolling Thunder! I bet if you keep up those RT prs and the rack pulls your supporting grip is going to go way up.

Mostly screwing around day.

RH: Grippers: BBA x 7 or so No Sets... I suck at no setting.

BBSA x10 wide set

Filed #1 x7 wide set (very filed... my #1 was away and I was too lazy to go get it, but i should've).

BBSA x?? wide set.

Filed #1.5 x0 wide set... wasn't feeling particulary strong today.

LH: TTK, few sets of high reps.

Then I did TTK with two hands, did 20x20 and 23x10 or so.

6lb sledge: front raises... @ 12" I got a PR rightie, like 17 reps. Left hand is a bit injured I think and it was crap on these. I didn't do rear levers also because left hand hurts on them.

I did twists: a set of 10 @ 12" R and 10" L, which was kinda easy surprisingly, so I did a set at 14" R and 12" L .. I think 10 reps right and 8 left. I had not done twists in a LONG while.

Pegasus extension: 12lbx11 and then x9-10 - got owned by this weight, maybe the sledge front raises tired these muscles.

DB wrist curls: 40lbs x21R and x16L.

Extensors: yellow band x50. Like I said, a screwing around day. Two days from now I expect to be better. Tomorrow I'll work my upper body.

Also, I've been doing a shoulder stretching exercise at the beggining and at the end of every workout, and it might be helping a bit.. just grab a stick wide and bring arms, while straight, from back to front. Try to grab the stick narrower every time you try. Pumps the shoulder like hell!! I was amazed I worked my upper body on thursday and didn't feel big pains after. We'll see after tomorrow when I repeat it. (pain is there, just not too big).

I've become to like stick work as well, and it seems to be very good for shoulders. Just make sure muscles and joints are well warmed up before going for the big stretch. Are you still working on the other shoulder rehab exercises? Hope the visit to the shoulder specialist pays off.

Thanks for the advise tja. Yeah, I do circles with my arms in both directions and another bit of stretching before doing the stick-shoulder-stretch, I don't jump right into it and with the narrower possible grip, heh.

Pendlay-rows: 45x10, 95x10, 115x10, 135x10 (last reps not super strict), 150x6 (don't know if any rep was super-strict, just wanted to see how it felt).

Bench press: 45x10, 95x10, 115x10, 135x10, 150x7 (exact same weight and pretty much exact same reps as Pendlay rows!!).

Pull-ups: 6, 7

Chin-ups (underhand grip with hands 2" appart) 7, 7

Pull-ups: 4 + a 5th with some leg drive to get up

***NOTE***: Either variation of this exercise makes my shoulder pain show up, big time. The previous 2 exercises did not cause it.

Military press: 45x10, 65x10, 75x10, 85x5 - Even worse than last session, maybe since the previous exercise made my shoulder iffy I was weaker. Next time I dont do pullups or chinups.

Screwed around really...

Grippers RH: crap, shouldn't have done them.

DB wrist curls: 40lbs x18L, x21R.

Pegasus extension: 12lb x maybe 13.

Tried sledge front raises and SUCKED big time. I think I can rear lever my 6lb sledge right handed (from the bottom) for at least a second.

TTK: 20x20, 23x15, both very tough to complete sets.

Squats:

45x10, 95x10, 145x10, 165x10, 185x8 (PR!), 185x8 (PR!) - going deep too! Had to take short pauses to breathe twice or so in those last two sets, but a few of this pauses still means this is a set, right? As the weight was still on me and everything. PR for reps with this weight, previous best was 6, and to do it twice was pretty cool.

Romanian DL's:

135x10, 185x10, 205x10, 215x8, 205x10, 215x8 + 2 (~20-30 secs later) - good! I was able to do 205x10 and the grip held, although it was trying to roll out by the end. Grip also limited me on 215, not back. But I'm stubborn and will continue like this.

I was kinda tired and took too long already, so I skipped lunges today, but I think it was a good session.