Are Weak Men Allowed To Post Routines!?

lifesnotfair

Thanks tja.

10 mins eliptical @ level 16 and ~80RPM - tough!!

Semi-straight legged deadlifts: 115x10, 145x10, 175x10, 195x10, 215x5, 1 minute rest here, 215x5.

I couldn't do the 10 reps because my grip gives in before my back on these, and I didn't want the bar to suddenly drop off my hands. Mostly the left hand. I've been saying for ages that I need to work on my supporting grip, yet I do nothing about it. That's dumb on my part. I gotta do some holds for time or something at home... I use a regular DO grip, no hook or anything.

This was VERY demanding.... I tried to do some chins, and got only 3 reps on parallel handles before quiting. I called it a day! My hands were dead, I couldn't close them hard, really. And the chins felt weird... I think that contrary what I thought at first, vertical pulling does affect my shoulder pain a bit. Not the deadlifts, and not military pressing, it would seem. Darn. I dunno if this was a "workout" at all... but I was just dead tired after those deads. I was lowering till my back was parallel with the floor (or maybe even a bit lower, not sure as I couldn't see myself from the side, but I could see my butt over my shoulders in the front mirror), keeping the legs only a little bit bent. Hams feel tired. I did it this way because I didn't wanna tire my quads, which I'll work soon. (not today though).

EDIT: Forgot to add, my upper back has been sore for the past two days, but not the lats, it's a different kind of soreness, I think it's because of those one-hand deadlifts with holds I did on monday, I've never felt this kind of soreness before, I think... I might keep doing those, they seemed fun.

Edited by lifesnotfair

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lifesnotfair

• Scott Styles

• superfeemiman

• Teemu I

My hams are still quite sore.

I tried a variety of different push-ups today. I tried 1-arm pushups but they were too hard, couldn't do even one. I tried regular 2-hand pushups with my feet elevated on a 40" platform, and could do a couple of sets of 8, which was close to failure. My body seems to round, meaning, my centre section tends to go down.. is this an abs-related weakness or something? I tried 1-arm pushups but with my HANDS elevated so it'd be easier, and it was still damn hard, I couldn't, had to help myself with 2 fingers of the other hand (which were probably helping a lot more than I wanted).

Pendlay rows: 70x10, 100x10, 140x6 x3 sets.

Dumbell rows: 50x5, 60x5, 70x5, 80x5.

Since the Pistols were giving me some knee pains, I've taken a step back. I've read Pavel's Naked Warrior, and I'm gonna progress to pistols in a smoother manner. I'm gonna do "box" pistols. Started with a "box" of about 1 foot... will lower it as it becomes easier to crank out the reps. Emphasys is made on keeping the shin as close to vertical as possible (impossible to keep it completely vertical!). Did a few sets of these today.

Also tried to do strict one-arm pushups.. no way! I tried elevating my hands to make it easier, I elevated them around 26" ... man, that was HARD, I could do 2 ugly reps each hand, for about 3 sets. I like the "corkscrew your shoulder into it's socket" thing.

I tried some plate pinching in the morning, it sucked really, but I got around 1 or 2" of air on the 2-25's right handed. Must be a PR. I stuck a pipe through the 25's and a 20lb plate on each end and did 3 reps with a hold at the end. Felt very hard... I wonder if by training 2HP on these same plates I'll have a carryover to one hand DL them??

2hp has carryover onto 1hp!

Can you 1 hand pinch the 2 25s with a bar through them?

Sam: I will try tomorrow. I don't know if it will help. When I got air with my right, they didn't slip one from the other. And with my left I didn't get air, but they didn't slip either. They don't slip one from the other on the negatives either. But it might be easier, I will have to try it...

10 mins rope jump.

Box-pistols: box is about 1' high? Not sure honestly. About 4 sets of 5, then a set of 7. I'm easing my way to pistols so I don't get any knee pains.

Push-ups: man, I can't do a strict one-arm pushups even with my hands elevated. Unbelievably hard. I decided to gain some strength in the regular 2-arm pushup before attempting this again. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean strength as in doing more reps normally, but strengthening the shoulders and everything! So I did push-ups with my feet elevated around 40" ... 3 sets of 10, very hard. I look up so my chest touches the ground. Hands/elbows by my side, I feel it more on the triceps. I'm gonna try to get a bit better at this height and then figure out a way to up it a few inches (I don't know how, coz right now I'm putting my feet on a window).

For some reason I was wasted after this.

If you are trying to progress to one-arm pushups, you might try different arm positions that feel more like a one-arm pushup. You could put the "helping" arm by your hips or waist or even over your head or way out to the side, whatever you like. This will help you progress to a one-arm pushup. Might be a better carryover than doing pushups off a box. Just a thought. Nice training!

I can do a one-arm push-up if I cheat, i.e.: if I spread my feet some more, and my arm kind of to the side, and shoulders not even.... but Pavel does them with the feet "slightly wider than shoulder width", with shoulders "level with deck", and his hand is facing forward (middle finger is), and elbow by his side (he actually advises to try and "corkscrew" the shoulder into the socket, which pretty much makes you stick your arm to your lat).

I wanted to start doing them strict with my hands elevated, but even that is hard as heck. I'm kinda liking the feet-up pushups though, maybe I could progress to a handstand pushup someday? (against a wall though!).

10 mins eliptical @ level 16 and close to 80 RPM.

Romanian deadlifts: 115, 165, 215, 215, 215 all x5.

Hammer curls: 25, 35, 45, 45, 45 all x5.

DB Tricep extension behind head: 20x5, 30x5, 35x3, 30x9, 35x3. Big difference from 30 to 35, it seems.

I still get a HUGE pain in my left wrist when doing hammer curls. Maybe I should stick to strengthening those muscles with front levers for a while, who knows.

I was gonna do calves, but they've been "inactive" for so long, that yesterday's 10 mins of rope jumping has made them sore now.

3.5 mins rope jump (I had dinner 1 hour before, should've waited more to workout.. was feeling weird hence the little warmup as it wasn't feeling right).

2HP using my two 25lb Sport Authority plates, with the Ironmind 1" loading pin (NOTE: I wonder if this makes it harder than using a thicker pipe that'd be tight in there... ??)

50x8

70x3, 90x3, 100x3

110x1 - tried for a second one, couldn't.

116x1 - very darn hard!

120x0 - got 2" of air.

100x4 - failed to get a 5th, but these were good reps with 1-2 secs. pause at the top and everything.

Some skin went off on the base of my right thumb.

Did a negative with my left hand with the 2-25's, felt like I held it for 1 sec. and lowered them quickly, but they didn't slip appart.

Since I got a bit of air with the 120, my 1RM for today could've been maybe 118 or so (guessing). I wanted to see where I am at with these, so I can progress steadily, using at least 85% of the 1RM.. and 85% of 118 is 100.3, so I'll try to get sets of 5 next time. Or maybe do holds? I think maybe the holds would be better for the skin...?? Anyways, I wanna progress a bit on the 2HP, and then try one-hand pinching the 25lbers and hold them!!

DB wrist curls: 30x10, 40x10

RH: 50x8, 56x6

LH: 50x6, 50x6

I had not done this in AGES. I will wrap some duct tape on this DB's, they're so thin, like 7/8" I would guess. I don't want to turn them into thick dumbells, but I think something like 1-1/4" would be much more comfortable. PDA says that 1-3/8" is the most ergonomic diameter.

Today at work, I noticed that while I cannot fully pronate my left hand while keeping my elbow by my side, I can pronate it with my arm extended.... so....

IF ANYONE IS READING THIS: Would there be a major difference between a regular reverse wrist curl, and a reverse wrist curl with the arm extended in front, laying on a bench?

I tried my Pegasus like this, kneeling on the floor and my arms on a bench. My wrists felt MUCH more comfortable than doing them normally over my thigs (or over a bench but with my elbows bent)... I think I will do this because I've been neglecting reverse wrist work because it always causes pain, but today it did not! I used 12lb (4 3lb plates) for reps. Tried 14lb but it was too much. I think I'll do this because

5 mins rope jump. I got tired quickly, the heat at this time is a huge factor (did this at noon). It's summer and here in the caribbean it can get quite hot.

I was supersetting push-ups and box-pistols, with decent rest between each though, but doing one set of each at the time.

Push-ups:

15 on the floor, felt damn hard for some reason. I'm keeping my arms by my body and placing the hands lower than usual.

5 sets of 10 with my feet elevated 40". I have a hard time keeping my body straight, I feel it forms a curve, that my midsection wants to go to the floor, heh. I did these till my chest touched the floor, again with arms close to the body.

Box-pistols: lowered the box a bit, it must be some 12" now. Some warmup sets and then 3 sets of 7 each leg, which were pretty tough to be honest. I try to lower slowly, and not just fall on my butt. I'm actually using the same place to do them, I'm just adding plates under my foot to make the ROM bigger. I have realized that with a full ROM pistol your butt doesn't actually hit the floor... so while this "box" is around 12", it's not 12" less of ROM than a full pistol, if this makes any sense. That's why they felt so hard I think. But 7 is good. I might try the same height and try to work to sets of 10 next time. Wanna take it easy on these to avoid knee pains, so far so good.

1 hand deadlift, suitcase style: 60x5, 90x5, 110x5, 120x5, 130x5, 136x5 (only 2 leftie). Wanted to see what I'd get. I used my EZ-bar and wrapped a bit of spongy black rubber to make it a bit thicker and more comfortable on the skin actually. It's just too thin normally, I think maybe 7/8", it hurts to hold on to such a thin bar. The black rubber thing adds a little and also makes it easier on the hands.

6lb sledge front raises: working sets: 3x5 @ 11" down the handle. Actually got 9 or 10 reps right handed. I should've done this at least from 12" right handed. Left hand struggled big time, specially on the last working set.

6lb sledge twists: 8" x5, 11" x5, 14" 5 right handed, 14" x3 or so left handed.

1 hand deadlift, suitcase style: 60x5, 90x5, 110x5, 120x5, 130x5, 136x5 (only 2 leftie). Wanted to see what I'd get. I used my EZ-bar and wrapped a bit of spongy black rubber to make it a bit thicker and more comfortable on the skin actually. It's just too thin normally, I think maybe 7/8", it hurts to hold on to such a thin bar. The black rubber thing adds a little and also makes it easier on the hands.

6lb sledge front raises: working sets: 3x5 @ 11" down the handle. Actually got 9 or 10 reps right handed. I should've done this at least from 12" right handed. Left hand struggled big time, specially on the last working set.

6lb sledge twists: 8" x5, 11" x5, 14" 5 right handed, 14" x3 or so left handed.

Nice sledge workout! :cool

Laugh all you want!! :tongue

I wont give up even if I'll never achieve your level. The day will come when I can do something worth posting a video or whatever... =) It just might be far away, but it will come.

I went with my wife and son to something called "the botanic garden", it's less than 5 mins away anyways. It's lots of vegetation and stuff. I went there to try to run at max. speed, something I had not done in YEARS, I think. I did like 4-5 sprints, dunno what distance, maybe 70-80 meters, but I can't be sure really. Wow, this tired me in a way I had not felt in a long time. I enjoyed it, I'll do this more often. Running on grass though, it was cool, even with the sun over me, there were trees to get close to and be under the shadow. I'll definitely do this at LEAST once a week, but preferibly more, really liked it, much more fun than just jogging for a long period of time.

Laugh all you want!! :tongue

I wont give up even if I'll never achieve your level. The day will come when I can do something worth posting a video or whatever... =) It just might be far away, but it will come.

Me? I wasn't laughing at you. :mellow

I know you were even if you didn't say it :tongue

I mean, you must be, considering what you can lever!!

Heh, I said it in a good way anyways! :)

Pushups: 5x10 with feet elevated 40".

Concentration curls: 26x5, 32x5, 40x5 x3 sets. Wanted to do some biceps as I ain't doing back work.

Grippers: LH: mashed the #1 without too much trouble, then the filed #1, and missed the filed #1.5 a few times, by 2-3mm. (I reckon it would be closed if not filed).

RH: The #1 with a very tiny set felt easy, and surprisingly so did the filed #1.5 with a tiny set. I didn't use an actual credit card but I bet I can CCS that one. I then tried the #2 with a parallel set and got it, but only for a fraction of a second, couldn't hold it closed. I think the concentration curls were pumping my forearms a bit (I was doing one set of each, kindof supersets) and made the grippers harder. I then tried the #2 with a wider set (not CCS but wider than normally) and could only get it to like 3/16" at best, then forced in and couldn't hold it shut. Oh well, I'm not sad considering I've barely touched grippers recently. Don't think I've lost gripper strength really, or not considerably.

I'm getting fat again, realized yesterday... I had been noticing it lately, but had been trying to fool myself into thinking I was "maintaining" my weight.. I haven't stepped on a scale in a long time, but today the pants even felt a bit tighter, and had to use the belt 1 hole wider. So I'm planning on eating better starting today...

Are you able to do a turkish getup? It may be something to try if the shoulders have given you enough trouble that all back work has been dropped.

Are you able to do a turkish getup? It may be something to try if the shoulders have given you enough trouble that all back work has been dropped.

What on earth is that?

HOLY CRAP! I just googled it up and read this article: http://www.tacticalathlete.com/tguarticle.htm

Look at the end, the guy says he had subluxation problems (just like me!) for ever, and no rubber band excercise helped him in 15 years of doing them, and he tried it all, so he says... and the TGU's have now made his shoulders stronger and more stable than ever. Wow, this could be something for me... specially since I've grown to love this kind of excercises, using little equipment. I don't have KB's but I reckon I could start with a dumbell. I need to watch a video of this though, from the few pics and descriptions sounds a little weird, maybe I gotta practise it.

Does this workout the back?

Yeah, I've dropped the back workouts because those seemed to make my shoulder pain bigger the next day. Pressing movements don't seem to make it worse.. at least not like the rowing/chinups.

What on earth is that?

HOLY CRAP! I just googled it up and read this article: http://www.tacticalathlete.com/tguarticle.htm

Look at the end, the guy says he had subluxation problems (just like me!) for ever, and no rubber band excercise helped him in 15 years of doing them, and he tried it all, so he says... and the TGU's have now made his shoulders stronger and more stable than ever. Wow, this could be something for me... specially since I've grown to love this kind of excercises, using little equipment. I don't have KB's but I reckon I could start with a dumbell. I need to watch a video of this though, from the few pics and descriptions sounds a little weird, maybe I gotta practise it.

Does this workout the back?

Yeah, I've dropped the back workouts because those seemed to make my shoulder pain bigger the next day. Pressing movements don't seem to make it worse.. at least not like the rowing/chinups.

That was an interesting read. Thanks for digging and posting!

The turkish get up works mobility, stability, and strength of the entire upper body. They wouldn't be my first choice for a back exercise, but I think done for reps of 3-5 per side they could make a good alternative to no back work. They also seem to have a posititve effect on the shoulders. I like them. This guy has a good blog with videos of how to do one:

http://www.irontamerblog.blogspot.com/

Second workout of today! I just had to try those Turkish getups. After watching a few videos on youtube, (including that 24kilos one on top of the link Scott just gave us!), I realized it must not be so hard. I tried without a weight and it seemed easy to follow, so I went ahead and tried with dumbells.

20 x5, WOW! I was soaked in sweat after just 5 reps a side. Very tough. I could get up without using the elbow though.. should I do it like that when I can?

20 x6 - wanted to go for reps, but just got 6! The arm gets tired. SPECIALLY left handed.

26 x5 - Left arm gets tired very quickly. I could still get up without the elbow from the start possition, directly to the hand.

30 x5 - I think I could get up without elbow for the first few reps, then had to start ussing it for support (support! not using it to get up).

36 x3 - I could barely get to the elbow with this weight, lol... very hard weight. I think this excercise has made me realize that my left shoulder's stabilizers are CRAP, because even from the starting possition, my left arm was shaking big time!!! My right arm wasn't. It makes sense that the left one feels easier to subluxate for me. (although the right one is the one that has been hurting for the past few months).

Wow, what a workout. This is insane, I love it. I don't know how my form looks, but up to 30lb I bet it looks good, judging from the videos I've seen and how it felt. I had a hard time looking at the dumbell the whole time, sometimes I looked at the roof :tongue

I think I will do this regularly. I'm loving some new excercises and have to think of a routine including them. Scott is one helpful guy :upsidedwn Thanks for showing me these!!

5 sets up to 36lbs??? Way to break into them slowly ;)

Pavel teaches that proper form and control on this exercise is more important than the weight used. I agree with him. Take it easy and build up over time. Don't deviate from the steps they teach to go through the exercise. Doing it with poor form and a heavy weight will only make your shoulders worse.

I'm going to have to get on task with my turkish get ups. I quit after two sets of 3 per side with the 26lb kettlebell today. I actually find the exercise harder on the bottom arm than on the arm holding the weight. I love how it forces the shoulder to stablize through every plane of movement.

5 sets up to 36lbs??? Way to break into them slowly ;)

Pavel teaches that proper form and control on this exercise is more important than the weight used. I agree with him. Take it easy and build up over time. Don't deviate from the steps they teach to go through the exercise. Doing it with poor form and a heavy weight will only make your shoulders worse.

I'm going to have to get on task with my turkish get ups. I quit after two sets of 3 per side with the 26lb kettlebell today. I actually find the exercise harder on the bottom arm than on the arm holding the weight. I love how it forces the shoulder to stablize through every plane of movement.

The 36lb was hard and only got 3 reps, but I'm sure that up to the 30lb I could do them rather slowly and controlled.

I know a video would be better than a thousand words, but from what I had researched yesterday, the points to follow were just these:

-Get up and support with your elbow (support, not assist with it), then from elbow to hand.

-Now rest your weight on the bent leg and the supporting hand, and pass your leg back without touching the floor (no problem for me to do this).

-Now just get up from the lunge possition, and do everything backwards.

Is that it? It doesn't seem too difficult. Although I read somewhere that in the past they used to put people through these before any other form of weight training, and they needed to do 100lb on TGU's before being able to do other stuff. That's a lot of weight.

Do you do them with the kettlebell held upright? I reckon that'd tax the grip much more. If you don't hold it upright, I can't see a huge difference from using a KB or a DB.

I do them with the kettlebell on my wrist. What limits me is my shoulder stability. If I don't keep my shoulder sucked in, I can do more weight, but it's not really what the exercise is intended for. So, I keep them lighter and will need to work up. I think 100lbs on the TGU is a monsterous weight. I've done them with both kettlebells and dumbells, and I don't see a major difference between the two. I like the kettlebells better, but that might just be because I paid more for them.