Abs:

1X150 slow legs raised head to knees situps

1X300 legs raised elbows across knees situps

1X250 legs raised elbows across knees situps

1X250 V-ups

1X3:00 Hollow hold

3X300 russian twists

Armwrestling:

Pulled my friend a bunch, but once again only street style. I'm getting ticked off that we can't find a place to pull.

Last armwrestling workout before the tournament this saturday, I hope I don't make a complete fool out of myself. Abs are starting to get used to the training so I stepped it up and now they are sore.....that never happens.

Three hours of gymnastics today. I really demolished my toe, I bailed on a butterfly twist and just rammed it into the floor, I don't know if it's broken or what. Wishing for the best.

Hand:

2X1 RAFTER STEP....PR (1 step each hand) this was at gymnastics

1X0 2 steps (so close but just slipped off) also at gym

5X200 extensors in sand bucket

1X100 extensors sand bucket (3 bands)

5X40 extensors (5 bands)

1X30sec extensor hold (5 bands)

Last hand workout before tournament on saturday. I really hope that I don't embarass myself.

So cool. Nice work on the rafters! Isn't it fun? What do folks think when you do it at the gym?

At the gym people don't really seem to have too much respect for it actually. The guys think it's great, but the girls/coaches (:help) just view it as clowning around. Rafter walking got some positive praise (finally), but I don't know how long that will last. The audience that sits and watches their kids really likes my rafter stuff though :cool.

I'm not sure if it was because of rafter walking or what, but I was doing rafter work at the time....A guy comes up out of the spectator area and approaches me, and I'm thinking I'm in trouble, and he says "May I just say that you are extremely talented, and very captivating to watch." Happened yesterday.

What sort of stuff are you doing on the rafters now?

...and he says "May I just say that you are extremely talented, and very captivating to watch." Happened yesterday.

If agirl says that, she's got the hots for ya. If a guy says that... his girl has the hots for ya. :D

LOL that's great :D.

Rested the last 2 days for armwrestling tournament today. Placed 2nd in my division (mens right novice 0-154). The guy who got 1st beat me twice, man was he a beast! I think maybe I could have put in a better fight but he was just so explosive and got me way off balance before I even had time to start. John Brzenk was there and he took 1st (easily) in the superheavys. His last match he held the guy like it was nothing for ~10secs then just put him down. I pulled some of the pro superheavys left arm after the tournament and they gave me some pointers....respect. It was great fun and I think I will have to start going to more tournaments. They had COC's there and I picked up their #1 and sure enough piece of cake compared to my #1. The #4 :bow. The #3 I took slightly past paralell TNS....:bow. My #2 was about spot on with the #2 they had there. I was suprised at the # of bodybuilders and such that couldn't close the #1....and compared to my #1 it was remarkably easy.

I got a sweet T-shirt and a cool 2nd place plaque....good days work. Who says bodyweight exercises don't make you strong :rock.

Edited by Ivarboneless

I did do some grip stuff like ponies and all after the tourny, but I forgot what I did. I no setted the #1 they had there for 2 EASY full range reps (each hand), whereas the best I have ever done on my #1 is 2 parallel reps from no set.

August 27, 2006

Hand: (not sure when these were done, but these are the highlights)

1X1 rear lever 12lb sledge 25" (PR)

1X2reps medium orange pony

1X5 Front lever axe

Abs:

1X250 V-ups

1X3:00 hollow hold

3X300 russian twists

Planche:

6X2-3sec Straddle planche attempts (good form....really close now)

6X5sec straddle planche attempts

6X10seconds advanced tuck planche

2X40sec ball planche

1X20 ball planche pushups

1X15 ball planche pushups

1X10 ball planche pushups

5X1 advanced tuck planche pushups

6X10sec planche leans

5X5 planche lean pushups

Handstand:

a bit of handstand walking to get warmed up

30 minutes of one arm handstand practice (managed 4 sec hold left arm)

Toe:

3X1minute toe stand

lots of toe walking

some 1 toe negatives

1X10sec toe stand

Back:

1X75 leg raises

Freaking good planche day! I feel so close to the straddle planche, and know I'm close because I've been taking video. All my planche stuff just felt rock solid. One of the advanced tuck planches was actually 15secs but I didn't want to separate it. (29th) My arms are still sore from this workout! I am going to add more lower back stuff because when I look at my planche leans I can lean crazy far so I'm thinking that my back strength may be holding me back a bit. I think I will also add more handstand presses to help out.

August 28, 2006

Hand:

2X200 extensors in sand bucket (light went out...no bulbs)

6X40 extensors (5 bands)

1X30sec hold

5X#1 closes right hand (set to CCS)

5X#1 closes inverted left hand

Abs:

1X250 V-ups

3X300 russian twists

Front Lever:

3X2sec front lever

2X5sec pull straddle lever

1X5sec straddle lever

2X5reps pull to advanced tuck lever pullups

1X5 straddle lever pullups

Toe:

1X15 sec toe stand

Good solid front lever work. I'm convinced my #1 is beastly now because I couldn't even NS it yesterday (28th). Another pull workout today (29th) since my planche work has fried my arms, but the good ole pulling muscles hardly ever get sore so they're good to go.

Forgot to add that on the 26th I did a bunch of rafter work. Today I discovered a new possibly better place to do my rafter training. I am starting to make rafter training more fun and I found that I enjoy it much more now that I am attempting skills and suck instead of just hanging. I do my rafter chinning in my attic most of the time so there are lots of different angles to grab rafters from and great potential for rafter walking.

Hand:

5X4sec rafter hangs straight arms (right set)

1X10 sec rafter hangs slightly less than mid (left set)

1X6 sec rafter hangs mid position (left set)

2X10sec rafter hangs less mid position (right set)

4X1 hang 2sec straight arms raise legs to foothold

1X4sec hang rafters weird angles

3X2sec straight arm rafter hangs (right set)

5X3finger hang attempts (right set...managed a momentary hang)

some other skills practice, but I was nowhere near close to these

3X#1 close and 1 held shut for 10sec (RH minimal set)

5X#1 close inverted (LH)

Pull/chinups:

1X30chins

1X25 pullups

1X15 Mr. T. chins

Toe:

1X20sec toe stand

1X30sec toe stand

I am so close to 3 finger rafter hang. Rafter work has the potential to be really fun I realized today. I was originally discouraged because I had like a 2 ft stretch of rafters like 4 ft off the ground to work with, but now I discovered a place (that was always there) that I can freely walk and jump rafters and ect. I still don't have enough room to do rafter flyaways and the like, but I have a more satisfying amount of space now. I was really mixing it up today trying a lot of skills and accomplishing some of them. Gymnastics tomorrow and I can't wait to take 2 steps on the rafter walking.

Man, I wish I had a place to do rafter stuff. I like to mess around with them at my buddies house, but I have none near me, as he lives 30 miles away. :(

Now that I've got college two days a wek, I have access to the school gym. The weight room is mostly machines, but there are heavy dumbells. Stations for pullups, dips, a support to do leg raises from, and medicine balls and stuff. With it and the basketball court right nearby, I'll at least have something to do in the mornings when I wait for my classes to start. And maybe I can finally get some high numbers in pullups and dips. :rock

Don't forget that 1 arm chin :rock.

3hrs of gymnastics today

Hand: (RH/LH)

1X60D hot galvanized (DO)

1X15 Trainer reps (No set)

1X10 inverted Trainer reps (No set)

1X5 Trainer reps (No set)

1X1 Trainer reps (No set)

2X10 Trainer reps (No set)

Trainer holds for time 38/40 25/25 10/10

#1 hold inverted closed from parallel held 8sec (LH)

#1 hold closed from parallel held 8 sec (RH)

5X1 #2 squeeze as hard as possible 5 secs

5X1 #2 squeeze as hard as possible 5 secs inverted

Chins:

3X1 FULL RANGE...DEADHANG one arm chins (At gym)

Heck yes, dead hang one arm chins. I knew I could do them if I tried. I was feeling beastly today so I decided to give deadhang a try and they all went up pretty easily after I got past that first deadhang part. I borrowed the #1 from my friend, but I was like....WTF I couldn't close it from anything bigger than parallel. so it was kind of a waste, I had it to train the close anyway so whatever.

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten. :cool Nice with the deadhangers! That's what I'm really concentrating on, because for climbing, the onlytime I can really see myself needing the skill would be from a deadhang position.

3hrs of gymnastics today

Hand: (RH/LH)

1X60D hot galvanized (DO)

1X15 Trainer reps (No set)

1X10 inverted Trainer reps (No set)

1X5 Trainer reps (No set)

1X1 Trainer reps (No set)

2X10 Trainer reps (No set)

Trainer holds for time 38/40 25/25 10/10

#1 hold inverted closed from parallel held 8sec (LH)

#1 hold closed from parallel held 8 sec (RH)

5X1 #2 squeeze as hard as possible 5 secs

5X1 #2 squeeze as hard as possible 5 secs inverted

Chins:

3X1 FULL RANGE...DEADHANG one arm chins (At gym)

Heck yes, dead hang one arm chins. I knew I could do them if I tried. I was feeling beastly today so I decided to give deadhang a try and they all went up pretty easily after I got past that first deadhang part. I borrowed the #1 from my friend, but I was like....WTF I couldn't close it from anything bigger than parallel. so it was kind of a waste, I had it to train the close anyway so whatever.

Wow big 1 arm chin achievement there! Nice one! Thats a PR right?

I expect to see 4 sometime soon! :tongue

:bow

Yeah that is a PR, but that was 3 singles not 3 reps...I'm not that strong :blink

Hand:

5X200 extensors in sand bucket

1X100 extensors in sand bucket 3 bands

5X40 extensors (5 bands)

1X45sec extensor hold (5 bands)

1X1 30lb 3.5" spread store gripper pony (each hand)

Abs:

1X250 V-ups

3X300 russian twists

Pullups:

1X10

I have still been working out everyday, but I don't always have time to post up my routines It's been pretty much the same stuff anyway. I think my grip goals are going to change on me, I have been dedicating most of my time to gripper and extensor work (hard climbing and grip training just keep my hands way sore) with some rafters thrown in. I think I am going to switch to more climbing related grip training like rafter chinning and crimp training with maybe...MAYBE one day a week for grippers. Or I may just wait until I can shut the #2 then start my climbing training.

On a side note me and my friend stayed after school on thursday and I climbed some of the walls. About 20ft at the topout (bottom floor up over the balcony to the 2nd floor) so I think that counts as a highball. The line goes up the wall on little maybe 1/4" edges with decent deadpoints to get to the next row of edges, feels really crazy in size 15 nikes! In some places the edges get really small and sharp, but I had enough whatever to stay on and top it out. I also did a pretty tight mantle problem, but it wasn't as hard just a cool mantle. The school has amazing possibilities even a finger crack, but I don't think I have the guts to give that one a go, I got about halfway up on a ringlock finger crack at my old school and I bailed so I think the crack is safe from me.

Who says bodyweight exercises don't make you strong :rock.

Great work man! The only idiots who say that are the guys who've never shaken hands with an elite gymnast. :cool I got to shake hands with a few at the Olympic Training Center earlier this year. Had hands like rocks and a grip that felt like it could fold my hand. And they weren't being dicks and trying to break my hand either. All that pulling and ring work must build some enormous hand strength! Nothing but respect for those guys and for you Ivar. :rock

Becareful man. I know it can be temping to get way up there but climbing solo makes me remember "there are old climbers and bold climbers but there are no old bold climbers..." Just never let training hurt you.

-Sean

Thanks Ben :cool I shook hands with Jordan Jovchev once, he came to a meet we were hosting at my gym as a coach I think, and sure enough like a rock! He did a rings exhibition after the meet, it is one thing to see malteses and stuff on TV (and after the competitors may be tired), but to see his rings routine from 10ft away while he was fresh....amazing.

Wise words smp.

I have still been training and the straddle planche is getting closer and closer, first meet is on Dec 10th so I still have time! Nothing really different except that the #1 is like a peice of cake now and I am going to start doing holds on it instead of the Trainer.

I forgot to mention that while I was at my cousins place I went to the atwoods to pick up some horseshoes and I found the sledges! I levered the 10 lb 36" sledge to my nose and back both hands, it felt like good form but I couldn't film it so I can't say whether it was perfect or not.

Hand:

1X#1 close CCS each hand

1X#1 close CCS inverted left hand and held

2X5sec 2 finger (mid/ring) hang from 1/2" ledge............................half crimp

2X5sec 2 finger hang (mid/index) from 1/2" ledge..........................half crimp

2X5sec 2 finger hang from 1/2" ledge (mid/ring).............................open hand

2X5sec 2 finger hang from 1/2" ledge (mid/index)...........................open hand

3X10sec 3 finger (mid/index/ring) hang 1/2" ledge...........................half crimp

3X10sec 3finger (mid/index/ring) hang 1/2" ledge.............................open hand

3X5sec 3 finger (mid/ring/pinky) hang 1/2" ledge..............................half crimp

3X10sec 3 finger (mid/ring/index) hang 1/2" ledge.............................straight index

3X10 sec 4 finger hang 1/2" ledge.....................................................straight index

3X7sec straight arm hangs rafters (right set)

2X1 full range rafter chins (right set)

1X2 full range rafter chins (right set)

3X10sec hangs mid position (right set)

I spent maybe 45 minutes working the rafters so I got a lot of random stuff done

5X40extensors 5 bands

1X45sec extensor hold 5 bands

2X1 medium orange pony

Pullups:

1X10

Abs:

1X250 V-ups

3X300 russian twists

Man the ab stuff is getting hard! I usually am very slow with cranking my ab stuff up but I have added like 100 reps to each exercise in 2 months. Despite all the extra reps I have noticed that I am still gaining weight that is not height or muscle..........fat! I need to start getting back into my healthy eating habits as I have started to take up junk food again. On the other hand despite the extra fat I am still setting PR's and am feeling strong as ever! I spent a good 45+ minutes on the rafters (without elbow pain!) and I got a considerable amount of hangs, leg raises, chins and the like done. I am working on a little sequence right now, straight arm hang 3 sec pull to a tuck L 3sec raise right foot to this little ledge about chest height and hop left hand over about 4" and catch another rafter at a weird angle remove foot and hang 3 sec release. I can do up to the hop which I refuse to attempt right now because if I fall I will fall straight through the hole in the ceiling and land on the concrete garage floor (likely hitting the ladder on the way), but I can go through the whole routine to the foot placement come down then hang the 3 secs on the weird angle rafter I am just not confident enough yet to attempt the jump.

3 hours of gymnastics today. My coach went to one of those coaching classes over the weekend and brought back some killer maltese exercises, if it doesn't transfer to a maltese by the end of meet season at least it will help my planche greatly.

Hand:

2X200 extensors in sand bucket

1X100 extensors 4 bands

1X1/4" X 6" carriage bolt kink to the crushdown arms straight out in front

helped a friend break it by me straightening it him crushing it down

Maltese:

1X10sec maltese lean

HARD MALTESE WORK TODAY!!!! My goodness my arms are so sore. My coach learned some killer maltese and just strength in general training tips and exercises. Good day.

Rest day climbing trip tomorrow and I am REALLY SORE from gymnastics.

Hand:

3X200 extensors in sand bucket

Abs:

Climbing:

Bouldered from the 1st floor to the second floor at school again today to make sure my fingers are in shape for climbing this weekend....no hand pain and fingers feel strong.

Don't worry guys I only did it once. My friend threw down the mantle problem. I never had so much fun on a rest day!

Wasn't sore for climbing. Loads of fun. It was a mixed climbing/herping trip. The place we went had so many cottonmouths it wasn't even funny, we were catching cottons and northern watersnakes all saturday morning. About noon we decided to climb so we went and found some boulder problems. I have a knack for finding super crazy boulder problems that I can't do then coming off and falling down the super steep, rocky, cottonmouth infested approach. I did manage to find some problems in my range of ability and dispatch those, great fun. We were looking to fing a "blockweight" rock that was about 40lbs so I don't have to go out and buy one, but no go finding one. We spent the rest of the afternoon lifting big rocks by the horn and pinching, plate curling, clean and pressing rocks. I found a rock that resembled a bowling ball (it was perfectly round) and almost palmed it up, but I just couldn't quite break it from the ground. We caught snakes the rest of the evening. We armwrestled (street style) later that night and I went 2-0 left hand and 0-0-1 right hand...can't touch this :yikes.

Sunday we went out herping again in the morning and caught a few snakes. I mainly wanted to climb on sunday though because of all the craziness on saturday, jumping out of the boat for snakes and ect. We ground out a few boulders including one hardcore traversing problem with a crazy figure four lockoff. My friend went to do it, and the key hold broke on him and he went down the hill infested with cottonmouths..............ALMOST.......I'm a better spot than him ;). We climbed some more stuff and found what would have been the hardest boulder we climbed (if we could climb it), it looked like Dave Grahams route The Fly. It was overhanging like that and if you fell off you were probably going over the rocky ledge (down the hill covered in cottonmouths :tongue). We didn't even finish cleaning it off before we had to leave, but next time I will be looking to let that boulder know what's up.

I also hit some PRs in reps on the beast #1:

1X2 almost 3 (1/64") NS wider than // reps (No set then wider than paralell rep) RH

1X2 wider than paralell reps LH

1X4 wider than parallel reps RH

#2:

Still ever closer. Friend says if I train the way I'm training I'll have it in 4 months......and if I train like him I'll have it in 2 :tongue

We had a great time! I can't wait until the next trip.

I live in Texas. Hours away from any climbing :(.

Hand:

1X#1 close left hand // inverted.

see rafters

Abs:

1X250 V-ups

3X300 russian twists

Planche:

5X3sec Straddle Planche attempts

6X5sec straddle planche attempts

6X10sec advanced tuck planche

2X40sec ball planche

Handstand:

15-20 minutes of one arm handstand practice (managed a 3-5sec stand LH)

Rafters:

I did about 45 minutes of rafter training today. I did a few full range singles with a 3sec hold at the bottom, but I don't like to do too many actual chins because they aggravate my tendonitis. I hit a 10+ second hang from the bottom position PR. I also did three heel clicks around a post from the middle position. A heel click is hang in the middle position then raise legs into tuck L and reach them around the vertical pole 3 ft(?) in front and click heels behind the pole and return to start and repeat. I ALMOST got the three finger hang and the hang in reverse (rafters going up away from you). I attempted a rafter step, but I slipped and almost fell through the hole in the attic. Other than the above mentioned things nothing else really new happened.

I am seeing improvements in my rafter training and I think I will train rafters at least once a week now. I was super happy to see my one arm handstand improve so much on that one hold, I can't really afford too much extra time to the one arm handstand but I am happy it is improving anyway. My planche stuff felt solid, but not super strong. I want to start adding more straight arm press handstands, but I am so short on time now that school is beating me with homework. I hope I have a solid straddle planche by December when I need it, because I am gambling all my other exercises away in order to focus on the planche.

I live in Texas. Hours away from any climbing :(.

Born and raised in Texas myself, hells yea. Actually, where I lived for about a year and a half, Uvalde, which is about 80 miles south of San Antonio, there were a lot of bouldering opportunities actually.

Yeah there is good bouldering in some places, but nothing close to me.

Sept 12, 2006

Hand:

2X8sec two finger (mid/ring) hangs 1/2" ledge........................half crimp

2X8sec two finger (index/mid) hangs 1/2" ledge......................half crimp

2X~10sec two finger (mid/ring) hangs 1/2" ledge....................open hand

2X~10sec two finger (index/mid) hangs 1/2" ledge..................open hand

3X10sec three finger (mid/ring/pinky) hangs 1/2" ledge...........half crimp

3X10sec three finger (index/mid/ring) hangs 1/2" ledge...........half crimp

3X10sec three finger (index/mid/ring) hangs 1/2" ledge...........open hand

1X30sec three finger (index/mid/ring) hang 1/2" ledge...........straight index

1X30sec four finger hang 1/2" ledge......................................straight index

2X1 traverse on monkey bars holding bars with 2 fingers (mid/ring)

Pull/chinups:

1X10 pullups

1X10 chinups

Front Lever:

3X4sec front lever

3X10sec straddle lever

1X4straddle lever pullups

1X5 straddle lever pullups

1X6 pull advanced tuck lever pullups

1X10 pull advanced tuck lever pullups

Abs:

1X250 V-ups

3X300 russian twists

Front lever stuff felt weak. Abs were a little sore, but they got it done anyway. My crimp strength is noticably stronger it went from 5sec to ~10sec two finger hangs & having not really trained fingers in the past weeks I am convinced that it is because of the rafters. I used to get this soreness in my finger tendons when I would do rafter work and now I don't have that and my finger strength skyrocketed. All my numbers appear to be about the same, but the hangs were really easy and I could have added as much as 10secs to the three finger stuff I think. The traverses were done really slow stopping in a one arm lockoff (on two fingers) before grabbing the next rung.