• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smp76

• EricMilfeld

• burner

• Dude

Top Posters In This Topic

01-22-01

Did some more bending with the IM pads today just to stay ready for my cert. Feeling great but man it tears your fingers up!

(2) grade 5 at 6"

(3) IM Reds in IM pads

(2) FBBC bastards in leather 3/4" thick

Decided that was good enough for now. Opened up the old blisters and made a new one on the left hand. (What a wussy I am )

-Sean

Your putting a dent into some reds Sean, good going. My MM1 cert is coming soon. Haven't bent anything in loong time. If all goes well and I nail the cert I'll be back destroying my hands again:)

I also bought a sledge to start training with. Gotta figure out how to incorporate it into my work. Whether before / after bending workouts, same day / different day etc...

Your putting a dent into some reds Sean, good going. My MM1 cert is coming soon. Haven't bent anything in loong time. If all goes well and I nail the cert I'll be back destroying my hands again:)

I also bought a sledge to start training with. Gotta figure out how to incorporate it into my work. Whether before / after bending workouts, same day / different day etc...

Ron,

Good luck on the MM1 cert! And let me know what you find with the sledge stuff. I have been messing with a 10lb and an 8lb at work and am also in the quest for a good routine. So let me knw what you figure out so I can stand on the shoulder of a giant and grow from the boost! :whistel

-Sean

Thanks Gazza. I hope to keep hitting some volume on Reds. I like to think of bending much like I do lifting. Once you have established you can rep something then you can move up. I was once happy and satisfied with getting 15-20 grade 5s and now I have done 10 Reds. This log has helped to push me into an arena I never really thought I would find myself in. I attribute a lot to all of you guys. No one ever became strong alone and if they did you never heard about it.

-Sean

1-25-06

Did some sledge levering today after my grip workout. I did a rough calibration of my sledge, figured by calculating it in terms of torque lbs it would be better for comparing our results, kind of like steel stock.

I only have a 6lb sledge (7 w/ handle) but calculated it without. I'm not sure if you guys saw the sledge calculation thread but I figured I'd post it here to for us cause it has to do with bending. The formula in my own words is basically this:

length of lever arm x weight of sledge head (without handle) = lbs

length of lever arm = center of balance. I clamped a long piece of 1/4 hex to the table and balanced the sledge on it to find the center of balance aka the lever arm. Then measured from the point of balance to the end of the handle.

My sledge, stock, is 6lb head with a 33" handle. so my figures look liked this:

31" lever arm x 6lb sledge head = 186lbs

Then I took a 5lb plate and slid it up to the bottom of the sledge head. For that the formula is:

(length of lever arm x weight of sledge head) + (length of lever arm with weight added x weight added to sledge) = lbs

So for my 5lb add on the figures were:

(186lbs) + (31.5" x 5) = 343.5lbs

And for the 10lb add on the figures were:

(186) + (32" x 10) = 506lbs

I think I did that right, lol. I'm not sure if most sledges are the same handle length but I figure this will give us a chance to gauge progress without having to buy 5 different sledges. Now just gotta grab a 7.5lb plate to use in between.

Did my sledge with 5lbs added (343) for a set of 5 with each hand, toughhh. Gotta say it works the grip pretty good.

Edited by Dude

1-25-2006

Well, I finally crossed the finish line. Tonight I did the Edgin in well under two minutes, with strength to spare. I posted the video in my gallery.

- 5/16 x 7" galvanized steel

- 5/16 x 7.25" CRS

- Edgin

- put a wee wobble in a 6" Edgin

- 5/16 x 6.25" hexagonal with my "skinny" wraps (to toughen up hands)

YES!!!

:rock

heck ya! your the man Eric

Awesome Eric!

Well done, buddy. :bow

Eric,

after your successful chase after the Edgin, what are your next goals?

Mid-term and long-term.

Do you even think of the 5/16" G8, or is that too ridiculous?

I think you're smart enough to keep yourself injury-free and thats a major precondition IMHO.

Thanks! Without you guys pushing me in this log I couldn't have done it.

I'm confident I can get a 6.5". It may have even fallen last night. So that's my short term, and the 6" would be my long term. The big grd 8 kinda scares me. :cry But there was a time, about 18 months ago, when I considered the Edgin an impossibility for myself.

Great work man! Great work.

-Sean

(4) grade 8s

(1) black "crazy bolt" John Beatty sent me and it was tought until it snapped! Thank you for warning me John, I did wrap the center before I made the attempt and whammo! Like a fire cracker it popped and thank God it was not my shoulder. I have heard that sound before.

(3) IM Reds in IM Pads

(3) 6.5" CRS with IM Pads

I will try to get the Huge Bastard later this week because I am feeling pretty good right now. And I am reluctantly liking my IM Pads more than the leather these days. This is even despite the holes they like to make in my fingers.

-Sean

Great work Sean!

Good luck with the bastard bend. You'll get it!

You guys, I hate to sound like a little bioatchnitch but my wrist and elbow are still killing me. I need to do some rehab and strengthen my wrists up. The thing that really pisses me off, is when the bending effects my lifts. I need to strengthen up and I'll be back. Keep it up gentlemen!

1-29-06

(3) - 60d's

(1) - 6"x 5/16 crs

Failed - 5.5" FBBC. Slight kink, about 6 pennies whatever that is in degrees

Eric - I got a call yesterday from my parents asking if they should send me the package that was in my room, the one I sent to you with the steel. It got returned to sender for some reason and has been sitting home. They just set it in my room and never told me. I'm not sure why it got sent back but I'm gonna recheck the addy and send out a different package tommorrow cause I have a bunch more of that stock down here at school. I'm gonna put tracking on it and I'll keep you posted.

Ron,

You hitting volume at all or just some high end stuff? Looks tight man kinking the 5.5" FBBC must flippinogibit suck man. I cranked on a 5.5" Red a while back and it made my bones hurt for days. Needless to say but I only had the bar to 90 degrees and it became the brick of old.

-Sean

Sean

Yea my hands hurt pretty good right now, pulsating as I type :). I think the next bending session I have I'll do some volume with 60d's because the tougher stuff only moves for me with perfect form and its been awhile off from bending so I'm kinda off. I just figured I'd try a PR tonight because my hands felt good before I started.

Hoping for good things from my new IM pads once they're broken in because the old ones are so broken in they slump off the end of the nail like they're thick as a napkin.

Mash Monster Ron, no worries. I actually forgot you were sending me something, and I'm embarrassed to admit I forget what it was you were sending. I must be getting old.

I know what you're saying about the need for technique to be perfect. With me, if I do longer stuff to the exclusion of the shorter for too long, I totally loose the feel for the shorties. And vice versa. I've no doubt you'll be a certified Grand Bastard before too long.

Well, I guess I'll go ahead and keep on posting my workouts. This is too much fun not to. I shouldn't have bent today but I did anyways. I could tell I wasn't sufficiently rested.

- 5/16 x 6" galvanized steel

- 5/16 x 6.75" CRS

- 6.5" Edgin to a smidge past ninety

- failed just past ninety again on an off centered Huge Hexabastard with my skinny wraps

Phooey!

lol i like the title :)

Eric are you going to continue the race, setting your goal for the 6" edgin or something different?

I'm going to start working exclusively with shorter pieces more. Sean told me today about ordering G5s and G8s from home depot for cheap so that should help a lot, finding cheap sources for harder bolts is a task in itself.

Eric are you going to continue the race, setting your goal for the 6" edgin or something different?

I'm going to start working exclusively with shorter pieces more. Sean told me today about ordering G5s and G8s from home depot for cheap so that should help a lot, finding cheap sources for harder bolts is a task in itself.

My next goal is a certification bend with the 6.5" Edgin. I would like to simultaneously train for the Magnificent Bastard bar, as well. So yeh, let's continue racing.

My next goal is a certification bend with the 6.5" Edgin. I would like to simultaneously train for the Magnificent Bastard bar, as well. So yeh, let's continue racing.

You'll have that Magnificent bastard cert in no time, your doing awesome right now keep attacking the steel :laugh