The Double D Gripper Log

DuTCH

I'd hazard a guess that the fact he indicates he did compounds doesn't mean it was an all out effort. I'm doing heavy leg press, bench and pullovers tomorrow and 9-10 days ago when I last did it I took five minutes at the end and then did a 1600 page book tear to keep my hand in.

Look at the weights he noted. Not that heavy. 160-kilos for a squat is ok - for his bodyweight, 80-kilos bench is a warm up for some and 55-kilos press... we have a 17 years old natural athlete at our place that uses a strongman log with a total weight of 100-kilos. The same 17 year old squats 160-kilos for sets and reps and does a 220-kilo deadlift. I'd bet money Theo can do more when feeling his oats.

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DuTCH

• Martin_Arildsson

• dannyboy

• mobsterone

@Jim, thanks, i'll do my best come next week!

@life, this was a particularly light day. I try to finish up my workouts in an hour, and hit grippers inbetween exercises.

@mobby, ofcourse, you know i'm stronger than that! :D

Right now, i'm working towards 200kg for reps, well, first get a nice single ofcourse. Did it before, but not consistent and with ease.

Bench, get 180kg.

Overhead press, strictly 100-110kg.

Deadlift, i'm actually pretty good at it, but an overhand deadlift of 250kg would be nice. I deadlifted 350kg for a sinlge from knee height.

Deadlift frysian strongman contest, it's the 2nd event.

Edited by DuTCH

@Jim, thanks, i'll do my best come next week!

@life, this was a particularly light day. I try to finish up my workouts in an hour, and hit grippers inbetween exercises.

@mobby, ofcourse, you know i'm stronger than that! :D

Right now, i'm working towards 200kg for reps, well, first get a nice single ofcourse. Did it before, but not consistent and with ease.

Bench, get 180kg.

Overhead press, strictly 100-110kg.

Deadlift, i'm actually pretty good at it, but an overhand deadlift of 250kg would be nice. I deadlifted 350kg for a sinlge from knee height.

Deadlift frysian strongman contest, it's the 2nd event.

Just as I thought. Based on your frame, muscle size etc I'd have expected you to be able to max out more than I can on the compound lifts - and you do :D

Some good numbers Theo. OHL and v bar are looking strong. You are looking very good for the 24th.

I don't think he's been doing any OHL you probably mean one hand deadlifts. There have been a few posts by others both competing and not competing where there has been some confusion over the two lifts. Theo and I are contest the OHDL and the OHL is an event for the British. I'm training both cos I have to but once the event with Theo is done I'll just be doing my usual body stuff and British Grip Championships events only.

Theo knows what I was talking about and as I was addressing him and not you it doesn't really matter. Thanks for pointing it out though.

Given that anyone can post in any thread it doesn't matter one bit who was addressing whom. It's not private (that's what PM's and emails are for). I also made it clear as to why I posted - it's a not a personal attack - just a clarification. Less that someone might think you meant something different - that hardly matters in the context of a single post in a single thread - but that I have seen equal confusion elsewhere. For example Chris James has posted in his log that he has done some (and quite heavy) one hand deadlifts (not sure why unless he lacks the equipment to do OHL with) and others have asked questions on both lifts in both the British competition thread as well as my log. I corrected them in those threads and brought it to light in Chris's - whether he changes his lifting and training is up to him. So I realise that people read Dutch's log and seeing OHL might become as confused as they already have proven to be.

I knew that you meant one hand deadlift when I read your post but that wasn't clear.

Edited by mobsterone

Glad that you guys sorted that out :D

Training:

Bench, went ok. Elbow is still a bit itchy, but the lifts felt solid. 4 singles with 135kg.

Dips, 3 sets, 2 sets with 20K added.

St. milit. press: 3 sets of 3 with 75kg. And 2 sets with 70kg for 3 reps.

OHDL: AGAIN!! i had to warm up very fokking long! Eventually i did

7 singles or so with 120kg Left.

7 singles or so with 130kg right. That was it, no pushing it, we'll see what the outcome will be next week.

Squats: 6 sets of 4 with 110kg. Changed my 1RM to 200kg. I didn't squat 200kg, i know am able to, but i want to raise my percentages a bit, and start working with weights 10% heavier.

Fronts, 4 sets of 5 with 60kg.

RT work, sucked once again, came to 87,5kg right, and 80 left. Really don't have any idea what to do, what approach

Axe deads, 4 sets of 3 with 130kg. Forgot chalk, so i was pretty smoked.

Got back to RT work, and repped out in 30seconds in 2 sets each hand

Right, 8x70kg, 10x65kg

Left, 4x65kg, 9x60kg. Full and pumped.

Edited by DuTCH

2HP:

worked up to 3 sets of doubles with 87kg. 1 set of 90kg for a double, then hit 96kg for a single. Then hit 101kg for a single! went back to a double with 90kg.

I'm sure that his 101kg was on a wooden block he uses. Nick assures me it'll be 10-kilos less on the Euro set up. I think Theo will be very close to my planned 94-95-kilos or so.

Looking forward to meeting you guys also!

Mob: ofcourse it is on the wooden block, i don't have anything else.

Ok, i know i can pinch 96kg correctly on the wooden pinch thing. Easy side is 101kg. To clarify, if you read waaaaay back in my log, you will notice somewhere around the contest date of the last LGC (oh screw it, i already looked it up )

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtop...4349&st=540

That i did 82kg on the wooden thing, and got 87kg on the lgc. Same thing happened with MGC, struggled with 80, got 84,5kg or so.

Well, in my theory, i should be good for a 90+ lift, but hey, i think it will be a mental factor if i can raise to that occasion and hop over the 90+, aside from having fit hands, some nice meals, good rest and overall health :D

Just like today, when i was saying in your log i wanted to pull heavy 170+ weights, well, that didn't really work out today:

V-bar:

5-7 singles 150kg right

5-7 singles 145kg left

This is waaay under my goal, and i will probably receive some kind of award for it:

And the winner is: THEO, for the little underachiever award!

Somehow i felt on the edge of ripping skin, and my hands were just too sensitive. It happens, roll with it.

Tomorrow rest, monday light pinch and grippers, and that will be it.

(any idea how far the cardiff airport is from the city? costs of taxi or train? thanks!)

We have the advantage that the 2HP is first. If we make sure we warm up well (lots of light weight sets) before taking our 4 competition lifts we should both piss past 90+ kilos.

What happened to the idea of a visit to Birmingham and or Nottingham or is that after Gloucester? As for how far, taxi etc, the airport is from the City? No idea. But a quick Google says this:

http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/for/prospective/i...romcardiff.html

Cardiff Airport, which is 12 miles/19 km from Cardiff.

There is a Cardiff Bus coach service from Cardiff Airport into Cardiff City Centre that runs every 30 minutes from Monday-Saturday during the day and hourly in the

evenings and on Sundays.

Single journey - £2.70

Journey time - 40 minutes

For bus timetables, Tel:+44 (0)870 608 2008

A taxi from Cardiff Airport will cost around £22 and can be hired immediately outside the Terminal Building or booked in advance: +44 (0)1446 710693.

http://www.cardiff-airport-taxis.co.uk

Take the bus!! Tell me what time you expect to arrive at Gloucester and I'll meet you there. My house is 10-minutes walk from the station.

Re the v-bar: that is more or less what I did yesterday so no worries. It'll be 160-170 next weekend on DH's bar.

Edited by mobsterone

David, i will try but i doubt i can resist a light session on monday. :D But then it's really rest!

Mobster, yes, thanks for the info. I will find out how and what and when. The problem is that i arrive around 23.00 so that is a crappy time!

Cardiff airport was the cheapest, so that is why i'm travelling there.

Not too worried also about the v-bar, it will all be good!

Hey mobster and Dutch good luck next Saturday!

Is it OK to bring a mate along to the comp?

What time is Kick off?

yes - all free and I want most arrived and ready by 1100 to 1130 for a kick off at 1200

Will be nice to meet you!

Well, my hands are about 19,8cm.. maybe slightly under even.. My best is 165kg. I hope to get 180kg by may, because then i have another contest.

You are doing some heavy one hand deadlifts on an olympic barbell! Without hookgrip?

165 kg on 2 inch bar overhand is very good but 180 with the size of your hand will be a fantastic lift!

My one hand deadlifts are without hook...but it depends a lot if the bar rotates or not. On a official powerlifting eleiko bar i can´t lift more than 115 kg.

Good luck for the supermatch :)

Thanks Jose!

Well, the day is not over yet, but i resisted to take my grippers to the training..

Squats:

worked up to 2x150, 1x180, 1x200kg and 1x180kg.. Felt ok, just wanted to see if i could still do it.

Deadlift:

worked up to 1x140kg, 1x180kg, 1x210kg all overhand. Then one single with 225kg reverse.

Chins: 3 sets of 5

Overhead squats: 3 sets of 6 and boy i think i will be sore!

Barbell row: 1x12x80kg

Kaz shrug: 1 set with 110kg and 1 set with 130kg.

High pulley row to finish off traps, and hyperextensions for lowerback.. done.