Mobster's Wrist Roller Work

mobsterone

Then you'll like yesterdays workout even if the lifts would not have passed in a competition.

Saturday

Double Overhand thick bar deadlifts

Bar (30kg) x 12 reps, 70-kilos x 3 reps, 100-kilos x 3 reps, 130-kilos x 1 rep, 160-kilos (SB on) x 1 rep, 190-kilos x 6 x 1 ugly, ugly, tough reps. The last barely, if at all, locked out. I might stay at this weight for another session.

Ended up with Loz, H, Mike, Ethan, G, Kye, Chris, Carl and his GF plus myself either training or taking the sun. For my last rep and just after Loz and H arrived with he had two would be strongmen (12 and 13) ask a bunch of questions and we got them to flip the 75-kilo tractor tire.

Edited by mobsterone

Sunday

V/gripper

B/H: L 1 x 6 reps, L7 x 3 reps, L10 x 1 rep, L13 x 1 rep

L/H: L14 x 1 rep (all sitting down to this point), L15 x VVN, VVN, VVN, VVN.

R/H: L15 x 1 rep, L16 x 1, 1, 1, 1 reps

Weaver Stick ®

B/H: Bar x 6 reps, +1kilo x 3 reps, +2-kilos x 3 reps alt,

L/H: +3.25-kilos x 5 x 1 reps (2nd and 4th HARD) Scaled at 8.30-kilos

R/H: +3.75-kilos x 5 x 1 reps. Scaled at 8.80-kilos total (bar is 1" EZ curl bar)

Monday

Seated Press Machine

1/2 stack x 8 reps, stack x 8 reps, +60-kilos x 6 reps, +100-kilos x 6 reps, +140-kilos x 6 reps

Dumbbell Hammer Curls

Decided to give higher reps a try: 10-kilos @ x 20 reps @, 20-kilos @ x 15 reps @, 27.5-kilos x 12 reps @,

Tricep Pressdown

stack x 15 reps, +20-kilos x 12 reps, +45-kilos x 8 reps (just)

Dumbbell Forearm Curls - 1 at a time

Forward: 30-kilos x 8 rep @, 35-kilos x 8 reps @, 40-kilos x 6 reps @

s/s

Reverse: 12.5-kilos x 3 x 8 reps

Bwt: 20st 9lbs (289) on GN scales (so 285)

Tuesday

Finally managed to get to GN for some one hand deadlifts. Lifts WERE down and I had major issues with balance once I switched from straddle to lifting to the front. 2HP tomorrow and then I may ease off for the rest of the week in lieu of the much humping and moving for Severn Valley.

One hand deadlifts thumb over.

Straddle style: B/H: bar x 6 reps @, 60-kilos x 3 reps @, 100-kilos x 1 rep, 130-kilos x 1 rep. I tried 140-kilos straddle with this straighter bar but failed so switched to lifting to the front.

L/H: 140-kilos x F, 1, 1, 1. As above more issues with balance than lifting power. Finally getting one decent 1 rep. 145-kilos x 2 x 1 reps, 150-kilos x 1, 1, F reps

R/H: 140-kilos x 1, 1, 1, 1. Ditto for balance. Finally getting one decent 1 rep 145-kilos x 2 x 1 reps, 150-kilos x 1, 1, F reps. I know I can do more weight but need to get the pitch point better and hold the lock-outs.

Wednesday

Forearms still slightly stiff from the few sets of forearm curls I did the other day. I'm not happy with my performance today and so I'll be doing some moving of event training around on a sheet of paper after this log entry and working out how to get where I want to be in a little under 45 days time.

2HP

equ x 6 reps, +30-kilos x 3 reps, +50-kilos x 1 rep, +70-kilos x 1 rep, +80-kilos x 1 rep, +86-kilos x F, F, and a 1/2 rep. Dropped to +82.5-kilos x 3 x 1 reps. Back to +85-kilos x 2 x 1 and 2 x F.

Wednesday pm

I lieu of my ass dragging helping with the loading and unloading etc I'll be doing this weekend for our Severn Valley competition I got another workout in today.

Legs

Leg Press

0-kilos x 12 reps, 120-kilos x 8 reps, 240-kilos x 8 reps, 380-kilos (s/b on) x 8 reps, 500-kilos (wraps) x 8 reps

s/s

Leg Extension

60-kilos x 8 reps, 125-kilos x 8 reps, 170-kilos x 2 x 8 reps (wanted to go heavier but could not see the other key I needed to hold some more weight on).

s/s

Leg Curls

15-kilos x 8 reps, 25-kilos x 8 reps, 40-kilos x 6 reps

Thursday

Chest n back

@ GN

Vertical Bench

0-kilos a side x 20 reps, 20-kilos x 12 reps, 40-kilos x 10 reps, 60-kilos x 10 reps, 80-kilos x 6 reps, 95-kilos x 6 reps, 110-kilos x 2 reps (too much too soon)

Pullovers

12p x 8 reps, 18p x 8 reps, stack+20-kilos x 8 reps

@ WG

Low Rows

60-kilos x 8 reps, 100-kilos x 8 reps, 140-kilos x 6 n/s reps

Friday

T/Grippers - volume

L/H: to CoC 3 x 15 x 1 reps (will check later)

R/H: to BBE x 15 x 1 reps (as above)

Saturday

Up at 6am to begin the long day that is day 1 of the Severn Valley Strongman weekend. Today's was the BSM (Britain's Strongest Woman) and first timers competition. As we didn't have to bring it back I was back in doors about 6-6.30pm (?). A hot day and I had some redness. As with all such events lots of lifting and carrying. More on how it went later.

Sunday

If Saturday was hot... Sunday was roasting!! The usual late finish (comp early loading and fetching of equipment back not so much) meant a 7.30-7.00pm sit down. But I was RED RAW! Even with 3 doses of lotion through the day I had problems sleeping last night as the skin on my upper back is glowing red.

Monday

Now baring in mind I slept badly and was on my feet most of the weekend and like all helping must have moved, reset and loaded a fair bit of weight in between reffing with Mike how did I feel like a bull this morning? God knows but my lower back, stiff most of yesterday, was ok today and I ended up pulling more and better than I thought I would.

@ GN

Double over-hand thick bar deadlift

bar (35kg) x 8 reps, 75kg x 3 reps, 105kg x 1 rep, 135kg x 1 rep. Put on support belt; 165kg x 1 rep, 190kg x 2 x 1 reps, 192.5kg x 2 x 1 reps (first was EASY!), 195kg x 1 rep. I could have done another or more weight but decided not to push my luck. Form/lockout was better than usual.

Tuesday

Shoulders n arms

Press machine

1/2 stack x 8 reps, stk x 8 reps, +60-kilos x 6 reps, +100-kilos x 6 reps, +150-kilos x 5 hard reps

DB H curls

10-kilos x 15 reps, 20-kilos @ x 12 reps, 30-kilos @ x 9 reps

s/s

TPD

stack x 12 reps, +20-kilos x 12 reps, +50-kilos x 8 reps

2HP (thick)

43.6-kilos x 6 reps, 63.6-kilos x 3 reps, 83.6-kilos x 1 rep, 93.6-kilos x 1 rep, 103.6-kilos x 3 of 5 x 1 reps

Steve, why do you do so much training on a thick 2hp? How's it helping you for your competition width pinches?

Or is the 67mm illegal in comps that's why you drop back to 44mm?

Parris

How is my occasional thick pinch session 'so much'?? It's not illegal it's only that most 2HP set ups do not go to 67mm and I prefer 44mm. My reason for doing it is 2 fold. Firstly the other gym I use does not have a Euro set and secondly it's a way of staying strong over a range not just 44mm.

67mm instead of 44mm

Very interesting.

The basic setup for a 2HP in my gym gives a grip width of 65mm, this is what I would call a normal grip width (because of my very limited knowledge in this field of strength). My hands are roughly 7" - 7,5", not huge but not that small either(?). This makes me wonder if I could pull more at 45mm for example.. hmm..

Anyhow,sorry for the rant and keep up the great work, your journal is very inspiring! :mosher

Thanks Steve,

I'm going to have to mix it up to once in a wile. Hopefully ill be strong at all widths when I do.

Rico

67mm instead of 44mm

Very interesting.

The basic setup for a 2HP in my gym gives a grip width of 65mm, this is what I would call a normal grip width (because of my very limited knowledge in this field of strength). My hands are roughly 7" - 7,5", not huge but not that small either(?). This makes me wonder if I could pull more at 45mm for example.. hmm..

Anyhow,sorry for the rant and keep up the great work, your journal is very inspiring! :mosher

David Horne wrote something about working out your ideal width. Your hands sound average. But try differing widths.

Friday

Legs

Leg Press

0-kilos x 15 reps, 120-kilos x 8 reps, 240-kilos x 8 reps, 380-kilos x 8 reps (sb on), 440-kilos x 8 reps, 550-kilos x 6 reps

Leg ext

70-kilos x 8 reps, 120-kilos x 8 reps, 120-kilos x 12 reps using 2 legs up, 1 leg down protocol (so 12 positive, 6 per leg negative reps)

Leg Curls

20-kilos x 8 reps, 30-kilos x 8 reps, 40-kilos x 8 reps

Legs bombed!

Saturday

2HP

Sunday

Double over hand thick bar deadlift

@ GN

bar (35kg) x 8 reps, 75kg x 6 reps, 105kg x 3 reps, 135kg x 1 rep, 165kg x 1 rep (sb on), 192.5kg x 3 x 1 reps (both belts).

The main key today was speed off the ground. All good.

Very strong mobster very strong!

Rico

Monday

Chest n back

@GN

V Bench

20kg a side x 20 reps, 40kg x 15 reps, 60kg x 12 reps, 80kg x 8 reps, 105kg x 4 reps

Pullover

12p x 8 reps, 18p x 8 reps, stack+25kg x 6 reps

@WG

Low Row

60-kilos x 8 reps, 100-kilos x 8 reps, 142.5-kilos x 4 reps

Tuesday pm

@ GN (so straight bar)

One hand deadlift

Struggled to the front so switched back to straddle and made all the lifts that way.

Conventional d/o

2 x 3 reps fast to lock out

Very strong mobster very strong!

Rico

More to come.