Mobster's Wrist Roller Work

mobsterone

Friday

Chest n back

@GN

Vertical iso-lateral bench

20-kilos e/s x 20 reps, 40-kilos e/s x 20 reps reps, 60-kilos x 1 reps. These set me up nicely for 80-kilos x 2 x 8 reps. Nice pump

Pullover machine

12p x 8 reps, 18p x 8 reps, stack +15-kilos x 8 reps. Used foot lever to brace myself.

@WG

Low Row

60-kilos x 8 reps, 100-kilos x 8 reps, 140-kilos (new PB) x 4+1+1

Saturday

Double overhand thick bar deadlift

bar x 8 reps, 70-kilos x 4 reps, 100-kilos x 3 reps, 130-kilos x 1 rep, 160-kilos x 1 rep (S/belt on), 180-kilos x 4 x 1 reps (some ugly LOL) with s/belt on

The DO seems really light for you Steve. Do you only traing heavy the lifts for the next contest and just do maintenence weight on the non contest grip lifts?

Rico

I pretty much just train contest lifts at the moment because we have had so many this year. The closest to any other form has been a very occasional foray on the RT.

I pretty much just train contest lifts at the moment because we have had so many this year. The closest to any other form has been a very occasional foray on the RT.

Agreed you have competed a lot lately.

Monday

Spent a pleasant day with my daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter (yep the 'my how they grow' is still apt) yesterday.

Legs n 2HP

Leg Press

0-kilos x 8 reps, 80-kilos x 8 reps, 160-kilos x 8 reps, 240-kilos x 8 reps, 380-kilos x 8 hard reps. S/Belt only.

Leg Extension

60-kilos x 8 reps, 125-kilos x 8 reps, stk+25-kilos (170kg) x 8 reps, stk+45-kilos (190) x 6 reps

Leg Curl

15-kilos x 8 reps, 25-kilos x 8 reps, 37.5-kilos x 6+1+1 (r/p) reps

s/s

2HP

equ x 6 reps, +30-kilos x 3 reps, +50-kilos x 1 rep, +70-kilos x 1 rep, +75-kilos x 1 rep, +80-kilos x 1 rep, +85-kilos (106.7) x 6 x 1 reps (1 more rep than last time and I will be upping by 1kg next time). Took my sweet time. For every single rep set I did I was also working a set of leg work.

Tuesday

Back to the grind. Loads of odds and sods to do. Still not happy with gripper efforts.

T/Gripper

B/H: Usual warm-ups

L/H: BBE x VN, VVN, VN. Switched to assisted reps as before: VVNa, *VVNa, TnGa, VVNa. At this point I tore a little skin on the little finger.

R/H: BBE x 1 rep, switched to assisted reps as before: 3.5 x 1a, 1a, *1a, SE x VNa, VNa, 1a, CoC 4 x VVNa, CoC 3 using CCS x 1, 1, VVN and without CC but still wide x TnG.

* started to resist the negative portion from this point.

Took CoC 3 home to 'play with' during day.

I also worked on seat in high position flexibility for the leg press (just 120kg load). My on-going back issues have prevented me from using the GN leg press which has a fixed seat. Ours has an adjustable one which I've been using set all the way down. However, as the weights started creeping back up I need to hold on or else I'd pop out like a cork.

Weaver ®

B/H: solid ez bar x 4 reps @, +1kg x 3 reps, +2kg x 3 reps

L/H: +3.25kg x 3 x 1 reps (hard but doable)

R/H: +3.75kg x 3 x 1 reps (as above)

Wednesday

Stew Killick posted a Youtube video on both the Gripboard and David Horne's forum with a tag line: this one's for Steve. In it he pulls, using a thumb over grip, 170-kilos. Obviously I did 3 x 1 reps with this the last time and LOVE a challenge so...

One hand deadlift using a thumb over grip

B/H: Bar x 6 reps @, 60-kilos x 3 reps @, 100-kilos x 1 rep @, 140-kilos x 1 rep @, 170-kilos (recorded - both hands) x 1 rep @ and 180-kilos x 1 rep @ (only one hand recorded).

Thursday

Shoulders n arms

Seated Press machine

1/2 stack x 8 reps, stack x 8 reps, +40-kilos x 8 reps, +100-kilos x 6 reps, +140-kilos x 5 had reps (again grr)

s/s

DB H Curls

10-kilos @ x 8 rep, 20-kilos @ x 8 reps, 30-kilos @ x 8 reps, 35-kilos @ x 6 reps

C/Curls

25lbs x 2 x 8 reps. Pain in right bicep tendon as before. Annoying.

s/s

TPD

stack x 10 reps, +20-kilos x 10 reps, +45-kilos x 8 reps

Also did some LP stretches on GN machine and was able to get legs straight.

Friday

Warmed up by sweeping up yard.

2HP @ WG outside (hot day)

equ x 6 reps, +30-kilos x 3 reps, +50-kilos x 1 rep, +70-kilos x 1 rep, +75-kilos x 1 rep, +80-kilos x 1 rep, +86-kilos (107.7kg approx) x 1, 1, F, F, 1*, 1*

* put support belt on as I was getting air under the failures but that was it. All successful reps hard.

Saturday

Double overhand thick bar deadlifts

worked to 185-kilos x 6 x 1 reps

2" V-Bar for fun

Kye+1, Carl, Ant and H all showed their faces.

Monday

Chest n back

Vertical bench machine - Iso-lateral

20-kilos a side x 20 reps, 40-kilos @ x 20 reps, 60-kilos @ x 15 reps, 85-kilos x 8 reps, 6+1+1 reps

Pullover

12p x 8 reps, 18p x 8 reps, +17.5kg x 7 reps

@ WG

Low Row

60-kilos x 8 reps, 100-kilos x 8 reps, 140-kilos x 4+1+1+1 reps

Tuesday

T/grippers

W/up: CoC 1 x 6 reps, HG200 x 3 reps, CoC 2 x 1 rep, HG300 x 1 rep, BBGM x 1 rep.

L/H: CoC 3 x F, F, 1, BBE x N, VN, VVN, assisted from this point forward - VVN, VVN, VN

R/H: CoC 3 x 1, BBE x 1, CoC 3.5 x 1, TnG, VVN, assisted from this point forward - 1, BBSE x 1, TnG/neg, VVN. CoC 3 x 3 x 1 reps

Weaver

B/H: bar x 3 reps, +1-kilo 3 x 1 reps, +2-kilos x 3 x 1 reps

L/H: 3.25-kilos x 4 x 1 reps (2nd super tough and 3rd shallow)

R/H: 3.75-kilos x 4 x 1 reps (2nd super tough and 3rd shallow)

I'll be looking at my best gripper workouts from back before to see what I was doing differently then. I may also do a volume session soon.

Quick question.

The difference in ability of closing grippers between your left and right hand. Is this due to a strength "imbalance" or problems with setting the gripper properly in your left hand?

Maybe a combination?

Used to be both but is now strength only.

Mobster, you did manage 180kg one hand DL no-hook with both hands, right? To me that's a better feat of hand-strength than a #3.5 close. That was way above what I found to be the "official" record (Ciavattone's 151kg I believe) and also way over what's been done in contests!

On a side note I would like to just mention something. You probably know more about working out than I'll ever now, and you're hella strong (I loved how the 180kg went up really fast even with one hand), but I'll still throw this in there: you always complain about your low back. Every single article, study, or rambling I've ever read indicates that a low back that does extra work due to weak (relatively weak) glutes is always gonna be giving troubles. I've been following your log for years and I see you like to do leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses. Unfortunately, neither of these three drills work your hip extensors very much. In fact two of them don't even open your hips (duh, sorry for pointing the obvious), and the leg press has also been tested and has shown little glute activation in comparison to other exercises, plus, it only opens your hip a little bit (notice the finish possition still has your hip bent at 90 degrees!!) and most of that opening is being done by the quads anyways.

So maybe, just maybe, the key to a pain-free low back is to strengthen your hip extensor muscles, specially the seemingly neglected glutes? In case I got you interested and would like to read some more, these two links (by the same author) are a good place to start. http://bretcontreras.wordpress.com/2010/01/10/how-to-get-rid-of-chronic-back-pain/ and http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dispelling_the_glute_myth

In these you'll see that glute drills don't have to be limited to low-load drills, as the author demonstrates the barbell hip thrust, for example, with over 400 pounds. I found a video of strongman Kevin Knee doing them with over 600# in youtube as well.

Sorry for the long post, and I don't expect you to take MY advise as I'm a noob, but maybe this will ignite an interest in researching more about why strengthening the hip musculature is key for a healthy low back, and working out just the knee extensors and knee flexors is not gonna magically solve it. Just my opinion though, and again, I'm a noob, but with good intentions! Keep pleasing us with your strength feats :rock

Hi Arturo, the recent 180-kilo was done thumb over and my actual record is 'All-round contest – Right - 150k Steve Gardener - 24 Feb 2007 Gloucester, England'. However, the bar I used recently has a camber and this allows more weight to be lifted. I was hoping to do some straight bar testing tomorrow but I have two deliveries for around 1030am when I will be training so cannot go to the other gym and test my max properly. Hopefully next week. That said I'm feeling good on it and expect to do a lot more than 150-kilos come July 31st.

The issue with the back (and thanks for the suggestions) is probably exactly as you say. Indeed I've told the Chiro's and Osteos I've used it is almost 100% due to the imbalances I build up. BUT... I train for so many competitions that balance, such as it is, goes out of the window. I find what I do now takes enough out of me. If I retire, whatever that means, then I hope to train for better back health then.

Wednesday

One hand deadlifts thumb over grip

B/H: bar x 6 reps @ hand, 60-kilos x 3 reps @ hand, 100-kilos x 1 rep @ hand, 140-kilos x 1 rep @ hand, 175-kilos x 3 x 1 reps a hand. All tough and I forgot to lock my legs out on the 2nd single.

Thursday

I thought I was going to be delayed or interrupted by a delivery but the driver rang and said he could come early... touch. So I almost ran to Gymnation and did legs and 2HP. Sweated well the whole way through.

Warm ups and loosening of back.

Leg Press

0-kilos x 20 reps, 120-kilos x 8 reps, 240-kilos x 8 reps, 320-kilos x 8 reps, 400-kilos (wraps on) x 8 reps, 480-kilos (wraps on) x 8 reps. I've literally only in the last week been able to squeeze back into the machines. GN's machine seat offers no adjustment. But once I am in I can also use more weight safely hence the much heavier sets. It's also the first time in months I've used wraps.

s/s

Leg ext

60-kilos x 8 reps, 120-kilos x 8 reps, then one leg at a time: 80-kilos @ x 8 reps, 100-kilos @ x 6 reps

s/s

Leg Curl

25-kilos x 8 reps, 35-kilos x 8 reps, 45-kilos x 2 x 8 reps (more weight than per as this is a modern machine and not an old torturous bit of kit like ours).

2HP (thick/67mm and not my usual 44mm)

43.6-kilos x 6 reps, 63.6-kilos x 3 reps, 83.6-kilos x 1 rep, 93.6-kilos x 1 rep, 98.6-kilos x 1 rep, 101.1-kilos x 3 x 1 reps. Ran out of time to do more as it was closing time.

Glad you didn't just dismiss my words Mobster. I understand your reasons perfectly though.... I think I too would trade some back problems for winning the British and European grip competitions!!!

I was also about to ask if the 175kg 1HDL was done on a straighter bar, but it seems, from your reply to Richard Sorin in that other thread, that it was on the same bar you got 180kg. Still a great effort. Can't wait to see what you do on the straighter bar.

Saturday

Double overhand thick bar deadlift

bar x 12 reps, 70-kilos x 3 reps, 100-kilos x 3 reps, 130-kilos x 1 rep, 160-kilos x 1 rep, 190-kilos x 6 x 1 reps. Most ugly, rough and worse... the last barely made it.

Good to see someone around here is pullin more than 400lb on that movement.

Rico