Deaner's Log

deaner

Well on top of the shoulder, now it gets worse, my knees have been bothering me for a long time, getting real bad of late. Turns out I have psoriatic arthritis and instead of worrying about competing again, I have to be concerned with being able to walk down the road. I don't think I will be able to compete in the highland games ever again, and thats not just being a pussy thats just the plain facts. I have to start taking medications to hopefully save the joints before they rot away completely, instead of just trying to tough it out I should have gotten help earlier, at least I can still train grip, and in about a week I will be getting tattoo equipment and training from an old tattoo artist. I've been trying to get designs ready and am excited to start tattooing myself and the volunteers that are lining up. Maybe theres some good with the bad.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• deaner

• smp76

• BigT

• pdoire

Top Posters In This Topic

9/8

GRippers tx10, #1x5

choker #3 attempt 1/16" or less right, 1/8" left this was my old #3 thats tougher than my new shiney one

Rb240n singles 3x1

Clubbell curls/ tricep extensions

9/9

pullups 5x5

9/10

grippers tx10, #1x5

filed #2 no set attempt got it w/right, bad no set set w/left - next time

choker #3 attempt got it right! 1/4" left

new #3 attempt parallel set 1/4" right, 1/2" left

Rb240n singles x3

filed #2 OC/ elite neg x1

blockweights 30x5, 35x3, 40x1

clubbell curls, extensions 5x10

Did some grippers and stuff, didn't really pay attention to it, alot of shoulder stability and some grippers. Did my first tattoo today, on myself, kinda cheesy and nothing spectacular but I got a taste and think I'm gonna really like it. Got kinda burned on my gear, the guy thinks he's doing me a huge favor and he's a family friend but I kinda wish I woulda bought a different set of stuff all I got is kinda old and shitty, so I'll end up buying all new stuff anyway, at least I got something to learn on. Sean, if you see this do you think your friend in california would take on an apprentice? Your workouts are looking sick, my bending will go through the roof when this shoulder gets solid again.

Jason,

Yeah my buddy would probably take on an apprentice but you would have to leave The Great Land for the land of fifteen million people...Who wants that? Glad your shoulder is feeling better. I do want to start bending again together my friend. Been too long, but that is really my fault cause I get so damn busy with teaching and other pursuits and then you fricken work all the time, we should both quit and become street bending bums :tongue What do you think? Some Alaskan bending bums for all the tourists in the summer?

Headed down to Cooper's landing this weekend to fish but I will try to get a hold of you next week for sure. Been nursing some injuries and playing the move the injury around your body game lately. What a pain in the ass, I have being hurt, ruins all my fun, or just makes it painful at any rate.

-Sean

The shoulder stability training is great, I'm using a 75cm swiss ball. This thing is a great supplement to bending training, with this and levering I figure I will be real strong once I'm bending again. I see my name has almost fallen off the list.. My goal may only be to get better at reverse and du because I feel do takes away from the original reason of bending. I wish I could see the brookfield technique, I have a hard time believing he bent the red in the way he descibes.

9/17

grippers got my old #3 in the choker with my right, also got my Hg300 with a mm set, then 5x1 w/rb240n, clubbell curls/tricep extensions.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while since I posted a workout, but I have been keeping up with grip and really rehabbing the shoulder, I 've lost 45 pounds this year, muscle and fat, I'm wearing clothes I haven't worn in a long time.

Been learning to tattoo, done my first on someone else a couple days ago, and continued one on my thigh today that I've been working on, I'm improving quickly. Still wanna try and get a job with a shop, apprenticeship, but we'll see..

Been working on the swiss ball for my shoulders, if someone adds this to their training I garuantee their bending will improve bigtime.

• 2 weeks later...

10/11

thick dumbell to standing (not including bar, its about 8#)

50x10, 70x6, 81x3.5 rt/2.5 left, 61x10

Hex block 35 2x5

reverse wrist curls thick db 11# 2x10

After did 1.5 hour shoulder and knee/ total body workout, good and sore today, the 12th. The doc now says my knee pain is from extremely tight hammies, muscle imbalances, pulling my knee way out of whack, femoral patela something or other, they say I have a real good chance of getting back to highland games and heavy lifting, physical therapist wants me to really bulk up my quads, I said ok, gotta stretch alot everyday now, I am very excited!

Sunday 10/15?

blocks

hex 30 warmup, 35x1, 40 3x1

thick db (not including ~8# bar) 70 5x5

Don't know why I'm weaker w/this than the RT, but I am, and I think I like the DB better

Buying my first limo, it's a beauty, anyone ever in need, I give big discounts to fellow grip freaks.

Knees already feeling better.

• 2 weeks later...

Still training but haven't been keeping track, been busy getting my future success all mapped out and stuff. Work work work, but still poor poor poor.

Been a while since I posted a workout, but I have been keeping up with grip and really rehabbing the shoulder, I 've lost 45 pounds this year, muscle and fat, I'm wearing clothes I haven't worn in a long time.

Been learning to tattoo, done my first on someone else a couple days ago, and continued one on my thigh today that I've been working on, I'm improving quickly. Still wanna try and get a job with a shop, apprenticeship, but we'll see..

Been working on the swiss ball for my shoulders, if someone adds this to their training I garuantee their bending will improve bigtime.

Awesome job with the weight loss! :rock:rock:rock

11/1

This workout was fun, just what I needed to get me back on track and off my lazy ass. Started off with basic upper body stuff, light, mostly shoulder maintence, ended with thick db rows and curls.

Grip:

Blob w/ assist from theraband ( help off the floor, less help as you go up) 5x1 I LIKE THESE, what a feeling standing up with that monster unassisted will be! I can just let off tension with the band until I'm lifting it myself. My hands feel bigger when I hold the blob now, weird..

Blob floor screw just grab blob on floor and twist it round and round both directions, various grips and finger combinations, these are awesome, maybe my new favorite for all around grip building, should help with card tearing and big block pulling, thumbs got burning good!

Sledgework, just a little. If you read this try the blob floor screws, depending on the surface you can vary the level of difficulty.

11/4

Same stuff as last time..

Blob dead w/assist 5x1

(real cool, cuz at the top the assistance is very little)

Blob screws x1 same way as last time

Clubbel levering, curls

Little bit of neckwork

11/7

Blob w/ assist 7x1

blob screws x1

uneven thick db curl 18 3x15

11/11

same stuff but with lots of clubbell wrist work

gotta add in thick wrist roller soon

11/14

Not grip related really, but I just did some more work on my first tattoo (on someone other than myself) And it looks good now, honestly looked like shit before, I got ill just imagining how bad it looked, mostly my imagination working against me, as he was out of town, flew in to get more done on his way south and I really got some confidence today. Just a little more finishing touches next time, and I'll have completed my first real tattoo. Now on to the next victim, er, I mean lucky volunteer...

Did a little thick roller last night, felt real good. Might start doing a few light sets every night to add some beef to my guns. Yep, off I go now to grab some plates.

Edited by deaner

15th: Blob and hex work, clubbell/sledge levering x4up and down each way 45# (easy)

16th: thick roller x3 up and down each way 45# (easy)

17th: thick roller x3 up and down each way 45# (easy)

this is everyday unless otherwise noted from here on out, will add weight slowly but keep it easy, and with at least 3 up and down each way

Couple ?'s for ya.

What surface are you screwing around on with your blob? Carpet? It just sits on the floor and you twist it? Hmm. Sounds interesting.

What do you do with your Swiss ball thats so good for your shoulder? This too is interesting.

What is the tat of? Who designed it? I like the assisted blob idea! Glad I stopped by here today. Thanks deaner!

Couple ?'s for ya.

What surface are you screwing around on with your blob? Carpet? It just sits on the floor and you twist it? Hmm. Sounds interesting.

What do you do with your Swiss ball thats so good for your shoulder? This too is interesting.

What is the tat of? Who designed it? I like the assisted blob idea! Glad I stopped by here today. Thanks deaner!

I use carpet or cardboard, I try pulling it as I twist sometimes and sometimes I try and push it into the floor to put more focus on my wrists, either way I squeeze it as hard as I can trying to crush it, think overcrush. They are great!

I do swiss ball push ups, hands on floor and hands on ball. I walk on my hands with my feet on the ball, starting with my hips on the ball walk out until just my toes are on it, then walk back, and side to side too. I like doing tricep press on it too, just put your hands on it, knees on the floor, or feet on the floor if your strong enough. Ab work on the ball is great as well.

The tattoo was an orthodox cross in memory of a close freind of his that died, I still gotta get in the lettering that he wants when he's back in town, I'm just learning mostly as a hobby at this point, I'd love to get an apprenticeship, but no pay in that and I already work alot. I have always been into drawing and stuff so after hearing people say I should get into tattooing enough I decided I'd give it a shot. I've got three of them on myself that I've done.

I really believe that the swiss ball is a great way to improve bending and shoulder stability, and rotator cuff protection. I'm still staying away from bending but do plan to get back into it when I have more confidence in my shoulder. At this point most strength training is on hold because I am having extreme pain in my knees and they don't know why, I had a total bone scan yesterday, who knows if I'll be back to highland games or anything else for that matter, time will tell. I'm too young for this crap thats for sure. Wish me luck. Glad you found helpful stuff in here.

Yesterday was grippers, not very good right now, you definately lose gripper strength fast. Clubbell stuff, lots of that, and thick roller. Today will be an off day then on monday I will up my roller weight by 5 pounds, still light but just going for size and rebuiding strength base.

11/25

circuit 2x

Pullups w/ assist (very little) x8

Pushups feet on swiss ball x10

Thick DB Rows 58# x10

Lateral raise 10# x12

not much but I gotta get my ass in gear, no more excuses

Blocks:

30x5 then clean (warmup)

35x3

40x only got about 1/2 way up.. :cry

second attempt full lockout w/right failed again w/left

35x 7 right, 3.5 left

Thick roller and neckwork to finish off the first day of my serious comeback for real, I'm serious.. seriously. Even got a workout plan wrote up:

Monday: levering, grippers Tuesday: upper body circuits, arms

Weds: Blockweights, neck Thursday: grippers, upper body circuits

Friday: Arms Saturday: Blockweights, neck, upper body circuit

Thick roller mostly everyday except Sunday but fairly light except on saturday were I'll go heavy or for new PR, old pr was around 110, just got 70 for singles today and they werent too hard, could go up next time.

Edited by deaner

I would also like to add a grip circuit and leg circuit somewhere in there, maybe grip circuit on thursday and legs could be that day too. Did 3x1 with my thick roller with 70# on the 25th in case anyones wondering poundages, I have been using 45# for 3 reps both ways, and used that as my warmup. I have renewed a lost love with these wrist rollers. Probably shouldn't do them everyday, maybe 3xs a week 1 heavy, 1 med, 1 light? Any suggestions on a grip circuit would be much appreciated.

11/27

grippers: warmup

filed #2 no set attempt close

Rb240n single

#1 3x10

Front/rear lever 3x5

Thick roller 1x3 50#

first day of my new program

Day 1 Grippers, lever, roller

Day 2 upper body/arms

Day 3 Blocks, neck, roller

Day 4 same as 1 minus roller, Day 5 same as 2, day 6 same as 3

Day 7- Sunday rest 2 days each for all my main focuses, 3 days of roller, 2 of them medium, last one hard, want to add bending after a few rounds of these weeks

11/28

upper body and arms

11/29

blocks (hex)

30x5, 35x1

40 x 2/3 right 1/3 left

35x 7 rt / 5 left

roller: 50 1x4

neckwork