matek's training log

matek

My Standard adjustable Tungsten arrived today. It rated 190 at flush, so Level 1 is 175, Level 2 is 160, Level 3 is 145. I got it mainly because I can already close my adjustable Titanium at flush (~171) parallel choked, but Level 2 can be beneficial for normal MMS work as well. I also bought the CPW bumper, because my GHP #7 and CoC#3 started to get a little bit too easy for singles.
I already modified a washer to fit the spring (I couldn't get exactly 20mm, I got 22mm). Took some time to file it, so I haven't done a ~30mm notch yet.

Btw I had never had such a hard gripper before, so I tried it at flush/190 for chest crushes, I did 5x10 just for fun. It's crazy that some people can rep this MMS (+some aliens can do it CCS). 

20221119_1.JPG

20221119_2.JPG

• Like 7

Nice one

how much benefit do you get from using The choker

that’s something I’ve been wanting to try. Where did you get the washer at and what size

23 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice one

how much benefit do you get from using The choker

that’s something I’ve been wanting to try. Where did you get the washer at and what size

I improved a lot from 20mm and 30mm choked closes, seriously. For me, it matters a lot that I can just explode into the hardest part without wasting energy and focus. My parallel choked close is about 15 RGC higher than my MMS, but it helps tremendously that I actually fully closed grippers at that rating (both physically and mentally). 
It's an M42 (42mm or 1.65" inner diameter) washer made from medium carbon steel, but you can't put it on grippers with fat springs without filing notches. I attached a picture of my two washers, maybe it's easier to understand what I mean from the pictures. Without filing it, it's still ok for a CoC#3, and you would get it 22-23mm. For lighter grippers (smaller spring diameters), smaller washers would be more ideal. I don't live in the US and I bought it locally, but webshops like McMaster-Carr should have these.

But if you want a choker gripper from one specific gripper, I still think the choker service from CPW is a very good option: 1. choking a gripper lower is always better because it makes the start harder 2. you can adjust it to the width you want easily 3. looks cooler. I attached a picture of this as well if you don't know about it. 

cpwchoker.jpg

washers.JPG

• Like 2

Thank you for the info. I like the washer idea. It's not so permanent. It looks like you could just slip it on and off as needed. The picture you sent me the one to the right has different notches. Is that for different grippers or different levels of choke.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Knowlton said:

Thank you for the info. I like the washer idea. It's not so permanent. It looks like you could just slip it on and off as needed. The picture you sent me the one to the right has different notches. Is that for different grippers or different levels of choke.

No problem. Yes, it is very easy to put on. I usually just push the gripper against my quads and put the washer on (to save energy). 

The first idea was to accommodate different grippers (totally possible), but then I decided to only use the washers on my Standard adjustable(s). So I try to "customize" them for the adjustables, and to have a ~20mm and a ~30mm option - and maybe something between. Actually the one to the left has multiple notches as well, just difficult to see.

2022/11/22

Just a little bit of bending and grippers

Haven't slept well, I have very long days at work. So no volume. 

Barehanded to a full bend (sub 2")
- Stainless bolt 6mm x 150mm (~15/64" x 6") 
Felt so good! (no)

DU in singles (leather)
- CRS (SS400) 8.3mm x 153mm (21/64" x 6")
And I stopped here, because my left wrist started to hurt a lot. But got it to 45 degrees in one hit, so pass.

Grippers
I didn't feel like doing super heavy stuff MMS, so I just stick to what I knew I can do. 
- 2x1 IM CoC #3 - unknown rating, MMS
 In the video, only the second close. I did this only 1 minute later after the first close.
- 1x1 GHP Level 7 - unknown rating + RGC 4.5 (3 full turns with the Bumper)
- 1x1 Standard adjustable Tungsten set to RGC 175, choked to 23mm

I think I closed it for a moment, then it opened up to ~1-2mm. Hard to tell honestly because the very early stage of the close can't be seen well on the video. 

That's it. This week is hell, whole next week is international business trip, then I'll have more time hopefully.

edit: I forgot to remove the sound as I always do, but who cares

20221122.JPG

Edited by matek
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, matek said:

2022/11/22

Just a little bit of bending and grippers

Haven't slept well, I have very long days at work. So no volume. 

Barehanded to a full bend (sub 2")
- Stainless bolt 6mm x 150mm (~15/64" x 6") 
Felt so good! (no)

DU in singles (leather)
- CRS (SS400) 8.3mm x 153mm (21/64" x 6")
And I stopped here, because my left wrist started to hurt a lot. But got it to 45 degrees in one hit, so pass.

Grippers
I didn't feel like doing super heavy stuff MMS, so I just stick to what I knew I can do. 
- 2x1 IM CoC #3 - unknown rating, MMS
 In the video, only the second close. I did this only 1 minute later after the first close.
- 1x1 GHP Level 7 - unknown rating + RGC 4.5 (3 full turns with the Bumper)
- 1x1 Standard adjustable Tungsten set to RGC 175, choked to 23mm

I think I closed it for a moment, then it opened up to ~1-2mm. Hard to tell honestly because the very early stage of the close can't be seen well on the video. 

That's it. This week is hell, whole next week is international business trip, then I'll have more time hopefully.

edit: I forgot to remove the sound as I always do, but who cares

20221122.JPG

nice bending... but if I close my eyes up to the 55 second mark... It sounds like a xxx flick while your bending.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2022/11/23 Forearms, wrists

3 sets of this:
- 50x wrist curls 
- 35x reverse wrist curls
- 2x ulnar deviation roll with the Twist Yo Wrist 
- 2x radial deviation roll with the Twist Yo Wrist

Wrist Developer 2 (single suedes)
Both hand positions:
- 1x8 Level 8 (CROM spring 2-1) 
- 3x1 Level 10 (CROM spring 2-3)

I decided to do singles for multiple sets rather than grinding through doubles for one set. Not super hard with LH front, but I'm glad I got it all with RH front. 
- 2x20 Level 6 (CROM spring 1-1)

Edited by matek
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, matek said:

2022/11/23 Forearms, wrists

3 sets of this:
- 50x wrist curls 
- 35x reverse wrist curls
- 2x ulnar deviation roll with the Twist Yo Wrist 
- 2x radial deviation roll with the Twist Yo Wrist

Wrist Developer 2 (single suedes)
Both hand positions:
- 1x8 Level 8 (CROM spring 2-1) 
- 3x1 Level 10 (CROM spring 2-3)

I decided to do singles for multiple sets rather than grinding through doubles for one set. Not super hard with LH front, but I'm glad I got it all with RH front. 
- 2x20 Level 6 (CROM spring 1-1)

Awesome session!

• Thanks 1

Good luck on the trip. But not for nothing aren’t your people known for their traveling? You should have suitcase packed with grip tools at all times.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DevilErik said:

Awesome session!

Thank you!

53 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Good luck on the trip. But not for nothing aren’t your people known for their traveling? You should have suitcase packed with grip tools at all times.

Thank you!
Hahaha you're right. I shall not fail my nomadic ancestors. 

Edited by matek
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Checking my phone after I woke up today: got a promotional email from CPW @Cannon a few hours earlier that the new pinned-handle tribute grippers are out -> YES, yes, I was waiting for this -> Browsing CPW from the bed while half asleep -> Every rating that would be relevant for me is already sold out 🙁. Oh well, maybe next time (if there will be a next time).

I'm not a gripper collector, but if you are, check out the new products. There are even Mash Monster replicas!!

Edited by matek
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

2022/11/25 DU bending

Shoulders were tired from yesterday's WD2 session, so I felt weaker than usual. Also, left wrist is still healing, so I just made sure it's above 40 degrees and stopped there.

Doubles (leathers):
- CRS (SS400) HEX 8mm x 178mm (~5/16" x 7") - 5 hits | 43 degrees
Hexabastard is still not a trivial bend... 
- 3x C45 CRS (S45C) 8mm x 178mm (~5/16" x 7") - 2 hits, 1 hit, 3 hits | 43 degrees, 44 degrees, 41 degrees
I had to hold the hits forever... Love and hate relationship with this material.
- Drill rod (SK95) 8.2mm x 200mm (size "P" or 0.323" x 8") - 1 hit | 57 degrees
- Increased carbon stainless (304H) 8mm x 178mm (~5/16 x 7") - 1 hit | 54 degrees

Singles (leather):
- 2x Galvanized steel 9mm x 178mm (0.354" x 7") - 1 hit, 1 hit | 108 degrees, 101 degrees
- Bright 70d nail (CRS) 7.9mm x 178mm (5/16" x 7") - 1 hit | 85 degrees

Actually these first three were the warmup at the beginning of the session.
- CRS (SS400) 8.3mm x 152mm (21/64" x 6")  - 2 hits | 60 degrees
- CRS (SS400) 8mm x 152mm (~5/16" x 6")  - 1 hit | 67 degrees

Got a blood blister at some point, but fortunately no skin tears. 

20221125.jpeg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

2022/12/05 

Back from business trip. Feeling tired, lazy, weak, fat, etc.
Today I just did I felt like doing.

- 2x1 GHP #7 (unrated) MMS
- 2x1 CoC #3 (unrated) MMS
- 2x2 GoG ESG #6 (unrated) MMS

These were ok, but the #3 felt a little bit hard today. 

- Reverse bent 3 bars of 1/4" x 7" CRS in a half suede (also crushed it)
The suede is on the pic, reversing it wasn't hard but crush hurt a little but I needed that. 
- DU bent a 5/16" x 7.5" CRS in 2/3 leather singles  
Left wrist still hurts, meh. But one hit. 
- Braced bent a pretty golden 27/64" (~11mm) x 11.8" (300mm) bolt in doubles
I haven't done much braced bending recently, and I still had this big bolt, so...

20221205.jpg

Edited by matek
  • Like 7

10 minutes ago, matek said:

2022/12/05 

Back from business trip. Feeling tired, lazy, weak, fat, etc.
Today I just did I felt like doing.

- 2x1 GHP #7 (unrated) MMS
- 2x1 CoC #3 (unrated) MMS
- 2x2 GoG ESG #6 (unrated) MMS

These were ok, but the #3 felt a little bit hard today. 

- Reverse bent 3 bars of 1/4" x 7" CRS in a half suede (also crushed it)
The suede is on the pic, reversing it wasn't hard but crush hurt a little but I needed that. 
- DU bent a 5/16" x 7" CRS in 2/3 leather singles 
Left wrist still hurts, meh. But one hit. 
- Braced bent a pretty golden 27/64" (~11mm) x 11.8" (300mm) bolt in doubles
I haven't done much braced bending recently, and I still had this big bolt, so...

20221205.jpg

After time off, the first session for me is always a "throwaway" session. I find towards the end I start to feel like myself.

Its amazing though, after a week off I too feel, fat, tired, lazy, weak and bloated.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

After time off, the first session for me is always a "throwaway" session. I find towards the end I start to feel like myself.

Its amazing though, after a week off I too feel, fat, tired, lazy, weak and bloated.

Yeah it's exactly like that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, matek said:

Yeah it's exactly like that.

By the end of the week you will be killing it again!

Your wrist still hurts? A week off isn't that long for tendons and ligaments but I figured it would do some good. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

By the end of the week you will be killing it again!

Your wrist still hurts? A week off isn't that long for tendons and ligaments but I figured it would do some good. 

Thanks!

Honestly I think the twist yo wrist or reverse wrist curls with bands would have been better than just resting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, matek said:

Thanks!

Honestly I think the twist yo wrist or reverse wrist curls with bands would have been better than just resting.

Yes.. Like we talked about before, check out those Sidewinders. They have one like the twist yo wrist... All you do is twist the knob for resistance.  Its so great for warming up and recovery..

Those ironmind eggs are good too. All this stuff is expensive but its cheaper than physical therapy.  Another thing that might help is high rep low weight sledge  pronation and supination.. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yes.. Like we talked about before, check out those Sidewinders. They have one like the twist yo wrist... All you do is twist the knob for resistance.  Its so great for warming up and recovery.

The last time I checked they didn't ship to Japan ☹️ 
But low resistance ulnar and radial deviation with the twist yo wrist works really good for me for recovery.

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Another thing that might help is high rep low weight sledge  pronation and supination.. 

Yes, sometimes I do these with a rolling pin and a band!

• Like 1