Morgan's Grip Log

maidenfan

Those 150 pound York dumbbells are the modern legacy version. I just found them for sale on another website for 385+ shipping. I don’t think The vintage York roundheads went over 100 I could be wrong.

Edited by John Knowlton
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

... I don’t think The vintage York roundheads went over 100 I could be wrong.

Same here.  Perhaps @VintageWeightsPGH can confirm.  He's my main source for York questions.

Springs showed up for the new table.  Pulley and the table are still enroute.  Super excited. 

IMG_6744.jpeg

• Like 5

30 mins of bike and DB shoulder presses.  30 mins of treadmill while levering a hammer/pony clamp intervals

ABB1CA22-B308-4721-B2DF-83B894777560.jpeg

• Like 2

~45 mins of BikeErg and overhead band press/hammer curl intervals.  20 mins of incline treadmill while levering a 7.5lb, 2” hammer (swapping hands at failure - absolutely love this, makes my hands feel strong all day). 

6823D7D8-7C2A-44C5-A9F2-0DA534475CA2.jpeg

• Like 2

On 3/11/2024 at 6:26 PM, maidenfan said:

Springs showed up for the new table.  Pulley and the table are still enroute.  Super excited. 

IMG_6744.jpeg

Those are sure nice. How’s the table? I might order one when the time comes or fabricate something with my uncle then by the accessories from Luke.

I’ve got locally famous comedian who wants to start armwrestling with me. Never met but started talking to him on Facebook. He’s a cool dude and would be a great guy to be friends with. 

• Like 1

Walk around the local lake w a light pack.  Levered a 5lb 2” hammer along the way.  Hands, wrists, and forearms feel great

387FCED5-75CA-4B59-A23C-4FA571E308A6.jpeg

• Like 3

WAY TO BE

• Like 1

Bike and arm wrestling table (cable) time

D5121803-0A0E-4CB8-9E89-DBE9A6B49175.jpeg

• Like 2

Yersterday/:

BikeErg & incline DB presses (90s x 5-8 reps) for 20k

Today:

80 mins of: BikeErg, treadmill, cupping/wrist work on the table spring, Finnish Ball lifts (45lbs for time), 7.5-12.5lb 2” hammer levers while in the bike and treadmill, pony clamp

IMG_6948.jpeg

53D5AAE6-3E1D-4168-9597-A9FA99F51AAB.jpeg

• Like 2

Love the “Napalm” series from Arm Assassin as they take all of my aftermarket handles, as well

IMG_6929.jpeg

• Like 5

Yesterday

BikeErg, grip genie wrist curls, farmers walks w hammers

Today:

BikeErg, treadmill, incline DB presses, dual hammer levers, wrist curls, and band pronation work while on the treadmill

IMG_7013.jpeg

B16399E2-B5AA-414E-B253-6AEF67FF457E.jpeg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, maidenfan said:

Yesterday

BikeErg, grip genie wrist curls, farmers walks w hammers

Today:

BikeErg, treadmill, incline DB presses, dual hammer levers, wrist curls, and band pronation work while on the treadmill

IMG_7013.jpeg

B16399E2-B5AA-414E-B253-6AEF67FF457E.jpeg

What kind of device are you using that tells you your heart rate, body battery and stress? A fit bit of some sort or Apple Watch?

I'm sorta interested in getting one of these but it would probably get broken or ruined at work.

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

What kind of device are you using that tells you your heart rate, body battery and stress? A fit bit of some sort or Apple Watch?

I'm sorta interested in getting one of these but it would probably get broken or ruined at work.

Garmin watch synched to a polar chest HR strap.  The optical HR on the watch (Fenix 6) is not very accurate, hence the strap.  

In addition, wearing a watch while doing grip and arm wrestling workouts blows, hence the chest strap. As long as the watch is fairly close (I’ve gone 20-30’ and been fine) it all stays connected. 

The body battery and other stuff is just garmin software hype, imo

Cheapest way to do it is to buy a chest strap HR monitor (I use a polar H10) and use a free App like Polar Beat.  Here’s what you’ll see on that one.  

IMG_7029.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

45 mins of BikeErg, wrist curls, and hammer levers.  10 mins of rice bucket after

713CE607-822F-4715-910C-624955CD5B75.jpeg

• Like 2

Bummer, really liked his characters 

IMG_7036.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, maidenfan said:

Bummer, really liked his characters 

IMG_7036.png

That’s too bad. He looks super familiar I’m sure I’ve a film or two of his. 88 ain’t a bad run

32 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

That’s too bad. He looks super familiar I’m sure I’ve a film or two of his. 88 ain’t a bad run

Guess I was dating myself with that one, lol

Regarding the HR stuff:  the main reason I use it is due to OCD - gives me many other metrics to track and improve on (calories, HR peak, HR avg (the main one), etc  if I’m tired, I’ll pick some strange one like calories, or whatever, to improve upon (those workouts take a lot of time, though 😂)

Over the few years, I challenge myself once or twice a year for a “fitness test” - highest average HR over an hour (too much of a wussie to go 90 mins lol).  162 average for an hour is my best (when I was closer to 50 vs 54)

No issues doing 140s/150 avgs for an hour though, now.  I’m sure it’d be much better if I was 220-240 vs 290+.  Keeps me alive and yearning to keep going. 

• Like 4

BikeErg, treadmill, hammer levers, wrist curls, double kb one hand holds for time.

3D6B6A6D-74FC-41C2-86AF-AE0C4D81295C.jpeg

• Like 4

BikeErg, incline DB presses, DB rows.  Short and sweet today.  Right elbow is still sore from the arm wrestling tournament - need to chill for a few days.  Going to focus on dropping some weight this week. 

60B4F4B1-6A42-4F30-806F-180E0DC19711.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, maidenfan said:

BikeErg, incline DB presses, DB rows.  Short and sweet today.  Right elbow is still sore from the arm wrestling tournament - need to chill for a few days.  Going to focus on dropping some weight this week. 

60B4F4B1-6A42-4F30-806F-180E0DC19711.jpeg

It’s getting to be that time of year! Good luck with weight loss ! What are your thoughts on the Garmin Vivasmart5 or whatever it’s called. It like a Fitbit 

I’m just hesitant because of work and dust and water and everything thing else. but I’d like to start monitoring things.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2024 at 9:51 AM, Blacksmith513 said:

It’s getting to be that time of year! Good luck with weight loss ! What are your thoughts on the Garmin Vivasmart5 or whatever it’s called. It like a Fitbit 

I’m just hesitant because of work and dust and water and everything thing else. but I’d like to start monitoring things.

All I can speak for is the Fenix series, which is good, but expensive (I got mine secondhand). 

• Thanks 1

BikeErg 1250m & 100’ thick bar (3” 85lb KBs) farmers walk x 16 rounds.  1 hour walk after

237C58CA-9ACA-4225-8D0B-057AE856794C.jpeg

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, maidenfan said:

BikeErg 1250m & 100’ thick bar (3” 85lb KBs) farmers walk x 16 rounds.  1 hour walk after

237C58CA-9ACA-4225-8D0B-057AE856794C.jpeg

Woof, Fat Gripz on those comp bells sounds brutal. I’ve got a pair of 36kg comp bells as well, but I’ve never put the Fat Gripz on the them. May have to try it out. Have you ever tried swings that way?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Woof, Fat Gripz on those comp bells sounds brutal. I’ve got a pair of 36kg comp bells as well, but I’ve never put the Fat Gripz on the them. May have to try it out. Have you ever tried swings that way?

yeah, thats a brutal workout out there.

46 minutes ago, maidenfan said:

All I can speak for is the Fenix series, which is good, but expensive (I got mine secondhand). 

Thanks, yeah they look awesome, even was looking into an Apple Watch. I like the sound of tracking and monitoring things and creating little challenges out of it, that sounds interesting to me.

I'll do some more research. I can't see it surviving work but maybe they are more rugged than i think.