Tracking New Routines

jad

9-6-04

Sledge Rotations

RH: 1 set of 5 with grip on 2nd to last hole, 2 sets of 3 with grip on last hole, 1 set of 3 with grip 1 finger width's down from last hole

LH: same except only 2 reps on last set

Lever to front

RH: 3 sets grip one finger width below last hole

LH: same

Lever to back

RH: 3 singles full handle length

LH: 3 singles full handle length

Arm parallel to ground bring down and touch nose x1 with RH: not too bad hurt my thumbpad more than my wrist, maybe I"m doing it wrong???

Out of time the BBQ was ready

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jad

• pdoire

• FrankyBoy

• bencrush

Top Posters In This Topic

9-7-04

Sledge work: did a couple sets of rotations, levered to the front 3 fingers down from the last hole for 2 sets, did a nose touch but didn't lock it all the way out on the return trip, 2 sets of levering to the back at full length

Pony clamp 1 thick rubberband wrapped twice: 15 sets per hand mostly negatives

MM1dud: 5 sets: attempts then cheated it closed and performed NC, 1 at credit card the rest at around 1/4-1/8

MM2dud: 4 closes, 1 miss by credit card, really concentrated on holding the parallel set for confirmation then closing. Thought I was going to grind the one, I wiggled the handles back and forth but couldn't do it loud enough to hear it, maybe next time

04#3: 5 closes

ISG last two fingers: 1 close at 1,7, 4 attempts at 1,8 all around 1/8-1/4

LH

04#3: 5 attempts: 2 at credit card, 3 at 1/8

ISG: 5 attempts at 7,12: closed 2 missed 3 by 1/4-1/8

ISG: 5 attempts at 6,12: closed 4 missed one

ISG last two fingers: 5 attempts at 1,7 closed 2 missed 3

9-11-04

Just a quick one today

12 sets of ponyclamp with 1 thick rubberband double wrapped

MM2dud: 5 closes really concentrating on parallel set and it's visibility, working in front of mirror

04#3: 3 closes

Filed #2 inverted last two fingers: jacked around with this a couple of times, closest I got was 1/4 OldGuy is the MAN :bow

LH

04#3: 3 attempts at 1/8

9-14-04

Warmup: OC filed #2

RH

MM1dud: attempt then cheat close with negative crush: handles just touched or playing card thickness couldn't quite tell, credit card, 1/8, 1/4, 1/4

MM2dud: concentrating on parallel set using miror1/8, closed, 1/8, closed, closed

04#3: Clay Edgin MM2 type sets :bow then close: 5 closes

LH

04#3: attempt then cheat close with negative crush: credit card, 1/8, 1/8, 1/8, 1/8

ISG: 12,7: attempt then cheat close with negative crush: 5 attempts all around 1/8

ISG: 12,6: same as above 5 sets

Both Hands

ISG last two fingers: 1,7 closed, 1,8: 4 sets 1/4-1/8 (closed once righty)followed with cheat close and negative crush

10 sets of pony clamp: 2 thick rubberbands DW, 1 thin RB, DW

No set

Filed #2: RH 12 consecutive reps, LH: 2 consecutive reps

9-15-04

sledge rotations 3 sets of 5 with fingers on last hole

lever to front: 4 fingers down from last hole for 3 full leverages

lever to the rear: full handle 3 sets of about 75% leverage: I can usually do this I think I was rushing too much as I was in a hurry

9-18-04

Just a quick one today

Warmup: 04#3

MM1dud: 5 negative crushes: would force the handles back together as soon as it got past about 1/8 and would do this 3-4 times per NC then fight it all the way out on the last one. Probably about 15 handle touches total

04#3: straphold with 10lbs to failure...about 10 secs. Used old leather belt attached to bookbag which contained 10lb plate

LH

04#3: 5 negative crushes

5 sets of pony clamp

9-19-04

Sledge work

rotations elbow at side/not supported on table like usual: gripped on 1st hole to failure around 10 or so reps

lever to the front 7 fingers down from last hole: got it twice missed it once, missed all three times lefty but pretty close

lever to the rear full handle: got it twice, missed it once. Did some reps at 3/4 handle

nose touches: full length 2 per hand

9-22-04

Was supposed to go to the gym tonight after work but I forgot my gym bag. I was TICKED OFF and decided to go home and take it out on the grippers.

Warmup: OC with filed #2, experimented with the Nathan Holle chalking method on this and I knew I was on to something. If you're close on a gripper try this, it could be the difference. Thank you Nathan Holle.

RH

MM1dud: had 2 attempts where the handles didn't feel like they were closed but I didn't see any space, 1 at a credit card, and 2 around 1/4. Cheated it shut after the last 3 and performed negatives, closing the handles about 2-3 times per attempt.

MM2dud: concentrated on parallel set, 5 attempts, closed 3 missed 2

04#3: straphold with 15lbs: made 3 ,held about 5 seconds, missed 1

04#3: straphold with 10lbs: held about 10 seconds

LH

04#3: closed it....Praise God :bow it felt easy I held it for about 5 seconds and just looked at the 3's to make sure it wasn't my #2, missed the next 4 but not by much, just couldn't get it to feel right. After that I did 5 more but they were pretty much just negatives I was a healthy 1/4 away on all of them. Performed negative after each attempt for total of 1 close and 9 negatives

ISG: 12, 6: 5 negatives, the attempts weren't even close but the negatives were awesome around 15 seconds or so completely shut

Both hands

ISG last two finger work: 1,7 closed, decided to try something new and perform negatives and I loved it. 1,8, 1,9, 1,10, 1,10

Pinch work: this was dispersed between sets of crush work

10 sets of pony clamp

TTK: 1 hand negatives with 25lbs x 5 sets, 35lbs no full reps but about 75%ROM x 5 then immediately drop down to 30 for 5 full reps, then down to 25 for 8 full reps

Hey Josh,

seems that you made a jump with both hands?

Lucky guy!

Congrats for your progress! :mosher

Congrats, Josh :rock

9-23-04

5 sets of sledge rotations: 1 at last hole, 3 at 2nd to last, 1 at first hole

attempted some levering but it was crap, forearms too fried from the arm workout at the gym earlier

Austin,

last hole: 4 reps/8 semi-circles

2nd to last hole: 5-7 reps/10-14 semi-circles

1st hole: 10 reps/20 semi-circles

9-28-04

20 sets of pony clamp, all negatives held for 5-7 seconds...added another rubber band

From 9-26

Finished off the the G5 I started the other night pretty easily moved on to the G8 I kinked but got nowhere because my shoulder started hurting again. I dropped down to a G5 again but shoulder was still hurting. Oh well it'll heal sooner or later and IM has already changed the rules so there's no hurry on getting the red.

9-29-04

Warmup: oc filed #2

RH

MM1dud:

1/4 then negative: this was terrible

1/8 then negative really good negative,

1/4 then negative

1/4 then negative: crappy negative so I cheated it closed 3 more times before setting it down

1/4 then negative

That was CRAPTACULAR, if this doesn't get better the grippers are getting put away and I'm breaking out the sledge

MM2dud concentrating on parallel sets:

closed..had to double clutch it but I got it

closed but still double clutched it

close another DC

credit card, gripper slipped back towards the thumb or this would've been shut

closed but another DC

Today my crush is just not on

04#3 strapholds

20lbs: failed

17.5: failed

15: failed

10: finally made one, held 10 seconds

10: failed again

ISG last two fingers negatives

1,9: 5 sets

LH

04#3:

1/8 then negative

1/8 then negative

1,8 then negative

1/8 then negative

1/8 then negative

1/8 then negative

1/4 then negative

1/2 then horrible negative

ISG: 12,6 straight negatives: 4 of them

muscle between the knuckles of the first two fingers is starting to throb so I"m going to shut it down lefty. I had this experience during KTA and towards the end just setting a gripper was difficult.

10-1-04

7 sets of pony clamp, added another rubberband, all negatives

did some finger extensions with a thick rubberband doubled: did 3 sets per hand to failure. This gave a nice little burn

10-6-04

ISG: warmup

MM1dud: 1/8, 1/8, 1/8, 1/4, 1/4

all cheated shut then performed negative. Last two were pretty pathetic. set 3 was the best but I think it zapped me for the last two

MM2dud concentrating on parallel sets: closed, credit card, 1/8, 1/8, closed

nothing left in the last two fingers

04#3 strapholds

15lbs: good

15lbs: failed

10lbs: failed, didn't get it set on the belt right

10lbs: failed

10lbs: good and held for 6 seconds

LH

04#3

1/8, 1/8, 1/8, 1/4, 1/4,

all cheated shut then performed negative

ISG negatives: 12,7, 10 sets these felt pretty good will move up to 12,8 next time

Pony clamp with another rubber band

15 sets

Both hands

ISG last two fingers: normal not negatives: 1,8 missed, 1,7 missed, 1,7missed, 1,7 closed, missed by credit card right, about 1/8 left

10-10-04

Sledge work: measured the sledge today, it's 30.75 inches from the bottom of the head to the end of the handle. I marked from my current PR down to the bottom in half inch increments

4 sets of rotations to failure: started at 2nd hole down from top and finished with two sets on 3rd hole. around 10 reps on the 2nd hole, around 7-8 reps on the third

lever to the rear: full length x 3 per hand

lever to nose: left x 2 reps x 1 set, right x 2 reps x 1 set then x6 reps on 2nd set

lever to the front: 21 inches down x 4 singles per hand

Josh,

Hey buddy on your ISG negs how long are you fighting it? In the past I did maybe a 3-5 sec hold and let out but was thinking of maybe fighting it for 20 secs or so. thanks!

Austin

Austin,

On those lefty ISG negatives, the 12, 6, and 12,7 ones, I'm usually around 10-12 seconds. I'd like to get some 20 second ones in but my hand is usually too trashed to do them at that point. When I was just doing ISG negatives as my primary workout I was getting some nice 20 second ones in. Usually on the negatives I just fight it out to about 1/2 inch or so or reclose it two or three times when it gets past about an 1/8 so however long either of those happen to take I don't necessarily time it on my watch but I have done that in the past and it makes for a good workout.

10-12-04

I was inspired by Clay's post

"horsepower necessary to snap it shut the rest of the way. This means lots of choker squeezes and some narrow pinching with the pinky and ring, and of course negatives"

Decided to try a little something different tonight

New #4 in choker: handles are just a shade wider than parallel

(a little over 1 1/8), I give it an all out squeeze then cheat it shut and perform the negative. Negative time is the time it takes for the gripper to rebound back out to the choker

Note all measurements are approximate below with exception of BBSE in choker are approximate

Set 1: barely moved it/ 1/4 for 3 seconds on negative

Set 2: less than 1/2/ 3/8 for 2-3 seconds

Set 3: 1/2/ 1/4 briefly 3/8 then 1/2 or so for 2-3 seconds

Set 4: barely moved it/ 1/2 inch pretty quick....time to move down a gripper

Set 5: BBSE: shade over and 1 3/8" in choker: 1/2/1/4 maybe 2 seconds.

Set 6: 3/8/ 1/4 2 seconds

Set 7: pretty much a joke all the way around I'm done on these for the night

Set 8: goal attempt: MM2dud: 1/8, felt like a toy then it just locked up

Set 9: goal attempt: MM2dud: 1/8, same as above

Set 10: goal attempt: MM2dud: 1/8, same as above

LH: goal attempt then negative. Choker just shoots off this gripper, I think because it doesn't have a blatant dogleg

04#3:

1/8

1/8

1/8,

credit card... thought I had it. I'm not wrapping my pinkie far enough around

if I was fresh I'd of had it

1/8

1/8

1/8

1/8

1/8

1/8

Both hands ISG last two finger work

RH: 1,7 missed, 1,7 closed, 1,8 missed, 1,5 x 5 reps, 1,6 x 3 reps, 1,7 x 1

LH: 1,7 closed, 1,8 missed, 1/8 missed, 1,5 x 5 reps, 1,6 x 3 reps, 1,7 x1

ISG negatives with only pinkie:

RH: 1,3, 1,4, 1,5 too much

LH: 1,3, 1,4, 1,5 too much

Pony Clamp: added another rubber band

10 sets: all negatives

10-13-04

Did some wrist work tonight after legs.

Plate wrist curls: the student fitness center doesn't have 35lb plates so I'm using the Ivanko bumper disks for my plate wrist curls. Anybody that can plate wrist curl a 15kg disk is a bad, bad, man. I can get a 35lb Oly plate for 2 reps on a good day and my best effort on these was parallel. The extra size makes a ton of difference, you'd only be 12lbs away from the omnimous 45 if you could pwc one of these bad boys, since they are the same size.

RH:

10kgx3

10kgx3

15kg performed negative

15 kg performed negative

15kg to parallel(90 degrees) held for 5 seconds

15kg to 45 degrees held for 5 seconds

15kg to 45 degrees held for 5 seconds

LH

10kgx1

10kgx1

10kg just short of locking out but well above parallel

4 more sets just like the one above

Thought I'd jack around with some barbell wrist curls just for grins since I still had a little time left

133x6 for warm-up

199x2

221x1

immediately stripped it to 133 for a burnout, got 12 reps. I haven't done these in a long time and I was having trouble finding my groove as far as keeping the bar balanced. It kept getting uneven on me.

The one-arm pull-up thread has me interested. I've always wanted to be able to do one I just had no idea how to train for it. The new gym I'm at doesn't have any of the HS upperback equipment I'd used at the old gym, so I'm going to make OAP training my upperback routine. I'm going to try several of the methods mentioned in the thread and see what happens. This isn't a priority like grip, just something I'd eventually like to accomplish. I don't plan on cutting any weight but I will weigh myself before every OAP workout to see if I'm making progress or just getting lighter. I often hear people complain about bicep tendonitis with this feat, so if I start to get any of that I'll stop, as I said this isn't a priority, just a little project of mine. Workout from yesterday is below, just experimenting with the different exercises for now. I figure if nothing else I'll be getting a good back workout because my back is on fire today.

10-14-04

BW:228

Palm Facing negatives

RH: dropped down pretty quick, dropped down pretty quick

LH: dropped down pretty quick, dropped down pretty quick

These are a little advanced for me right now I don't think I'm getting much out of them

Neutral Grip negatives

RH: controlled drop, controlled drop

LH: actually held it for a couple of seconds, this is weird because my RA is much stronger, controlled drop

Assisted One arm (hand on wrist...)

hand on wrist: 3 reps pretty easy

one hand down from wrist: 1

two hands down from wrist: 1

3 hands down from wrist: 3 sets of 1, I start twisting at this point and end up doing a neutral grip pull-up????????

Assisted C+D machine

80lbs counter weigth: nonstop alternating arm singles:

set 1: 6/6

set 2: 5/5

set 3: 6/6

Notes:

the chin bar is SLICK and is 1.25-1.5" thick, be sure to wipe off or use the neutral grip which at least have knurling

Once the arm flexes concentrate on pulling the elbow down and back instead of just using the bicep

will try some mixed grip stuff next time

10-16-04

ISG: warmup

new #4 in choker: goal attempt then cheat shut and perform negative

set 1: 1/2/1/4 3-5 seconds @ 1/4, probably 5-10 seconds total for negative. This is the best attempt I've had so far I could of held longer but I didn't want to blow my whole crush on one set. PTL :bow

set 2: very little movement/ 1/2 Whoops might be too late

set 3: same as above, WTH???

set 4: very little movement/ 1/4 3 seconds

set 5: very little movement/ 3/8 3-5 seconds

set 6: BBSE in choker: VLM/ 1/4 3-5 second

set 7: VLM/ blew open to 1/2" if next set isn't better on to the next exercise

set 8: VLM/ 1/2 5 seconds...done with these

MM2dud goal attempts

set 9: smoked it, I figured I'd be dead after the negatives, but it felt pretty easy Praise the Lord

set 10: I'm going to try a 5lb straphold the last set felt so good: 6 seconds PTL :bow

set 11: Straphold 10lbs: 2-3 seconds then fell PTL :bow

set 12: MM2dud goal attempt concentrating on parallel set: closed it....just barely

Note: straphold performed with old leather belt attached to old bookbag which holds the weights

04#3 concentrating on technique and parallel set, goal of 7 closes in 7 minutes

set 13: closed

set 14: closed

set 15: closed

set 16: closed

set 17: closed

set 18: closed

set 19: closed...just barely, had to double clutch it

set 20: OC it :rock

LH

04#3:

set 1: 1/8