Tracking New Routines

jad

I might need to reevaluate this 5 negatives 5 attempts workout.  I like the Negative crushes but when I don't incorporate actual closes I find I just get really good at holding the #4 around 1/2-1/4 from shut and lose my last eighth needed to close the #3 and beyond.  I'm going to try it for one more workout and if the closes are still a joke then I"m going to switch it up again.

Josh,

what do you think of alternating your NCs with the single attempts/closes instead of doing the 5 NCs in a row?

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jad

• pdoire

• FrankyBoy

• bencrush

Top Posters In This Topic

Good idea, I'll give that a shot. I'm also considering doing all NC's one week and all closes the next. On the NC week I would start with the #4 and work down to my MM1dud(#4,BBSE,ISG,MM1dud), on the close week I would start with the ISG on 10,12 or the MM1dud and work down to the 04#3 doing closes until failure with each gripper. Maybe throw in some no-set stuff with my filed#2. I think I'll try the alternate method first and if it fails go to the alternating weeks.

7-27-04

warmup on filed #2 overcrush

RH

5 NC's with #4: 2/5 were great, 1 was above average, other two were average

5 attempts on MM2dud: closed, 1/8, 1/4, 1/4, 1/4 cheated it shut last set and performed NC's until it opened to parallel then repeated until it just flew open to parallel

LH

10 attempts on #3: credit card(thought I had it), 1/8, 8 at 1/4

TTK

25x5, 40x0, 40x0, 37.5x0, 37.5x0, 35x1, 35x1, 35x0, 25x12, 10x33

didn't have today on pinch so I decided to do some rep work

Warmup: oc of filed #2

#4 in choker: two all out squeezes until it rebounded back out to the choker and 2 negative crushes. I didn't like the NC's in the choker

NC #4 no choker: 3 of them all about average

MM2dud: missed by 1/4, missed by 1/4, missed by 1/8, missed by 1/4 then smooth negative, missed by 1/4 smooth negative

LH

#3: 1 at 1/8, 8 at 1/4, 2 at 1/2 then smooth negative

TTK

warmup 25x5

Working sets

40x1

40x1

40x1

Drop-set style no rest

32.5 to failure, 6 reps

30 to failure, 5 reps

25 to failure, 4 reps

15 to failure 15 reps

Evaluation: Crush sucked and pinch went great. I think I'm going to switch to the negative crushes one week and closes starting with goal gripper and working down to 04#3 the next.

8-3-04

Warmup: oc of filed #2

RH

MM1dud: 1/4inch, 1/4 inch

MM2dud: 3 closes, 2 misses

04#3: 1 close 1 miss'

LH:

#3: 9 attempts, all around 1/4

This is one of the worst workouts I've had in awhile. I'm going to play with the new Red nails I reccieved because my crush is broken today

Bending:

Red nail: got nowhere, gave it 3 all out bursts double overhand, need to get used to the 7 inches as it feels awkward

8-6-04

warmup: 04 #3

RH

MM1dud aka The Nemesis: 2 at 1/4, 2 at 1/8, 1 at credit card

MM2dud: 5 attempts: 2 closes, 3 around a credit card

04#3: closed first one then I missed the next 3 bad

No set filed #2: 5 singles

waited several minutes: 04#3: 5 closes

slightly deeper than parallel set 2 finger 04#3 attempt: somewhere around 3/8 hard to judge, definetly less than 1/2 inch but not quite 1/4 this will take some work

I need to take more rest between sets. I'm getting in too big of a hurry

LH

15 attempt with #3 all around 1/4 to 1/8

NO set Filed #2: 3 closes to misses

No time for pinch right now maybe later tonight

Edited by jad

8-9-04

Combined a honey-do chore with grip to make for a heck of a workout. I had to rip up the 23 concrete blocks that were in front of the curb posing as a garbage can pad and haul them all to the back patio where I was to install them off the edge to rehab the area the dogs had dug up and give it a nice clean look. The blocks were 7.5 inches wide, about 2.5-3 inches thick and about 18 inches long. I didn't weigh them but they felt to be 30lbs at the very least. I decided a wheel barrow was the easy way out so I decided to pinch grip farmer walk them to the backyard. I could only do this with about 12 of them as the only rest I had was walking back to the front. I had workgloves on adding to the challenge. While installing them I tried to handle them one handed pinch grip style as much as possible. I took the remaining 6 and PGFW them to the shed. I don't know if this is anything like blockweights but my hands were fried for the rest of the night. It was a lot of fun and I managed to get a good workout in.

Good report jad, I have a pair of waterlogged standard UK 150mm concerte blocks that I used to get a great pinch workout from. The main use I used to get was going for maxes by balancing putting plates on the ends and pinching with the hand in the middle. I worked up to the block (48lbs) with an additional 30lbs on top, and if memory serves I got put off because it was very brutal on the thumb skin - I knew I had the strength for a lift once so I locked it out, almost as soon as I got to lockout, it dropped along with half the skin/flesh on my thumb.....not good :cry

Dropping one on my beach sandle clad feet put me off the farmers walks :cry .....not very clever.

In conclusion (to tie up all the rambling) good tool for newbies, once you get stronger, it's time to move on to something made for the job.

Jad, you ever seen The Last Castle? You sound like Redford hauling those rocks.

Isn't it about time to give that red another whirl? :happy

Yeah, The Last Castle is a great movie. I hurt something in my neck last time I tried a Red. It's about healed but my shoulder is killing me now from board presses yesterday. I knew as soon as I got off the bench I did something. Soon as I'm healthy, I'm going after it again. I'm tempted to cut one down to 6.5 because the 7 just feels so akward.

8-13-04

Warmup: filed #2 ocs

RH

MM1dud: 3 attempts, all around 1/8,

MM2dud: closed, credit card, closed, closed, 1/4 crappy-set the gripper slipped, credit card, closed

04#3 two fingers slightly deeper than parallel: about3/8x3, 1 a little more than 1/4

ISG 1,4 last two fingers: closed

ISG 1,6 last two fingers: closed, closed

ISG 1,7 last two fingers: credit card

ISG 1,7 last two fingers: credit card

ISG 1,7 last two fingers: closed

ISG 1,7 last two fingers: 1/8

ISG 1,7 last two fingers: 1/8 then performed two negatives

noset filed #2: 5 consecutive reps righty, 1 lefty

LH

04#3: 1/4-1/8 then cheat close, and smooth out x12

Pinch

TTK

25x5

40x1

40x1

30x12

8-16-04

Warmup: filed #2 oc

RH

MM1dud: 5 attempts: 1/4, 1/4, 1/8, 1/8, 1/8

MM2dud: 5 attempts: 1/8, closed, credit card, closed, credit card

04#3: 5 attempts1/8, closed, closed, closed, closed

04#3 two fingers: 1 attempt, it was joke just too fried today to even mess with this

last two fingers ISG: 1,4x3, 1,5x1, 1,5x1, 1,6x1 1,7x1, 1,5x1, 1,5x1, 1,5x1

No set filed #2: 7consecutive reps

LH

ISG

10,4: closed

10,8: closed

11,6: closed

11,7: closed

12,6: 13 attempts: 3 closes, 8 around a credit card, 2 around 1/4

Last two fingers: same as above

No set filed #2: 4 reps

TTK

25x5

42.5x0: just ugly

40+clipx1

42.5x1: tried to be strict as possible but I could feel my shoulders and neck getting really tense at the end so there was some body english involved

42.5x1: same as above

35x1

35x2

30x6 then immediately drop to 25 for 9 reps then immediately to 10 lbs for 5 reps lefty and 5 reps righty

8-19-04

Warmup: oc with filed #2

MM1dud: 5 attempts: 1/4, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/16

MM2dud: 5 attempts: closed, closed, credit card, couldn't tell a paper thickness if it wasn't closed, I couldn't feel the handles touch but I couldn't see any space either??, closed

04#3: 5 attempts: closed all 5

last two fingers on ISG on 1/7: 1/4, closed, closed, closed, credit card

no set filed #2: 8 consecutive reps...barely

LH

ISG on 12,6: 1/4, 1/8, 3 closes

ISG on 12,7: 1/4 to 1/8 x8 attempts, 2 closes

last two fingers on ISG on 1/7: same as RH

no set filed #2: zilch...just didn't have it today

Gonna skip pinch today because I"m expecting my Blob50 today or tommorrow and I want to be fresh when it laughs at me

Edited by jad

Those 7" bars do feel awkward at first. I don't think you will notice a huge increase in difficulty with the 6.5" red if you are folding, but the crush down will be good and stout.

Thanks for the advice Clay, I'll have to keep that in mind. My shoulder has to heal up before I bend anything. I'll proably have to take another week off of the gym before I bend again

8-21-04

After having the Blob50 laugh at me it's time to get serious about pinch training. The goal is to hoist it Christmas morning. Previously I said that my training weapon of choice would be the TTK but after thinking about it I think my 5.5 inch pinch block would be better. I think 55 to 60lbs on this will translate into a Blob50 lift.

5.5 inch pinch block

25x1

30x1

35x1

37.5x1

40x1

42.5x1

42.5x1

45x0: about half lockout

45x0: no movement

45x0: about half lockout

LH

25x1

30x1

35x1

37.5x1

40x0

40x1

42.5x0

42.5x1

45x0: a little movement

45x0: a little movement

Notes: My work on the TTK has helped TREMENDOUSLY. My previous best with this block was a little movement with 35lbs. I tore a nice big chunk out of my left thumb on my last set and one more set with my right would've done the same thing. In the future I think I'll wear work gloves, which I"m sure will drastically drop my poundages. I'm going to use the TTK until my thumb heals as it obviously has quite a carry-over on this particuliar block.

I've found that if I leave my pointer off and just grip with three fingers and my thumb I can get more of my hand on the block and lift heavier weights. Any blobpros have any thoughts on this....Will I be able to use this method on the blob or am I setting myself up for failure by training with a technique that won't be applicable on the blob shape? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

edit Signed in under buddies name:

Josh log looks good buddy. Looks like your hitting crush 2xwk. How do you like that frequency? You will kill the mm1!

Austin

Edited by JamesG

8-25-04

Thanks Austin, I hope so. To be honest I just try to train crush at least once a week and more if I'm feeling strong. I guess I"m training instinctively or just being plain lazy :D

Warmup: oc on filed #2

MM1dud: 5 attempts all at about 1/8

MM2dud: 10 attempts: 5 closes, 2 of them I just killed it, 5 misses by credit card

LH

ISG: 12,7: 10 attempts, 2 closes, 8 at about 1/8

ISG: 12,6: 9 closes 1 miss

mixed and matched inverted and regular grip

No set filed #2: 9 reps righty, 3 reps lefty

Last two fingers

ISG:1,7 3 closes, 1,8 miss by 1/4, 1,8 by 1/8,

repped out on 1,4 with no set 4 reps

ISG LH: 1,7 two closes and 1 miss, 1,8 miss by 1/4, repped out on 1,4 with no set 2 reps

5.5 inch HM pinch block: wore my pair of heavy work gloves today. Uh yeah...this was a whole different ballgame. Very humbling.

35:failed

25:failed

10: lockout

20:lockout

22.5:lockout

22.5 plus choker washer x2 attempts: failed no movement

22.5: lockout

22.5: failed no movement

22.5: partial lockout

22.5: partial lockout

left the same except I got full lockouts on the last two sets

8-26-04

Felt like doing some pinch work

5.5 inch HM block with heavy workgloves

RH: 20x3/4 lockout, 22.5 x3 attempts no movement, 20 x2 attempts no movement

LH: same

Alrighty...that sucked on to something else

Hub

RH: 60 failed, 60 little movement, 60 locked out

LH: started to rip the thumb open so I nixed it

Tried to do 3 of my standard 25's and got nowhere. They're from Wal-Mart and just SLICK with that bastardized hammertone paint. I even tried it with the IM loading pin in the middle and got nowhere

TTK

RH: 10x5, 15x3, 20x1, 20x1

LH: same

Pinch is sucking tonight maybe I'm not recovered from last night on to some plate curls...

Plate curls: performed with standard weights with IM loading pin through middle. I did concentration curls with these to ensure no swing. I really like doing the concentration curls...thank you Sixgun.

Warmup: plate wrist curl with a 25 for 2-3 reps

RH: 25+10x3, 25+10x3, 25+10+5x1, 25+10+5x1, 25+10+5x1

LH: 25+10X3, 25+10x2, 25+10x0x3 attempts, 25+5x0, 25x2

NOTE: Weights don't include IM loading pin weight

Not bad, I haven't done any plate curling or plate wrist curling for quite awhile so I didn't really know what to expect

8-29-04

waiting for the wife to get ready for a BBQ we were going to I decided to putz around with the grip toys. I put 50 pounds on my IM loading pin, grabbed the top end of it and did hammer curls with it. I was doing sets of 5-8 reps about 5 sets per arm. Pretty good pump. Could be a good grip exercise with heavier weight

8-30-04

ISG warmup

MM1dud: 5 negative crushes...thought I'd try something different

MM2dud: 4 attempts at 1/8, closed the last one

04 #3: 5 closes

ISG last 2 fingers: 1,7 closed, 1,7 closed, 1,8 x3 attempts at about 1/8

filed #2 no set: 10 reps

LH

ISG: 15 attempts at 7,12: closed 5 of them, 10 around 1/4-1/8

ISG last two fingers: 1,7 closed, 1,7 closed, 1,8 3 attempts around 1/4

filed #2 no set: 0 reps

5.5 inch HM block with heavy workgloves

15x1

20x1

22.5x1

22.5x1

25 x0

25 little movement

25x0

22.5 little movement

same for left

Softball lift

60x1

62.5x1

87.5x0

60 for 5 sec

60 for 10

Left

same except last set was only a 5 count

9-1-04

Hit some plate wrist curls after legs

warmup with 25: 5 reps per hand

RH

35x1.5: first rep was easy but I couldn't quite lockout the second??

37.5x0x4: 4 attempts with this, just couldn't quite lock it out. I cheated the remaining ROM up and then performed a negative holding the back of my hand at parallel to the ground for 3-5 seconds

25x10

LH

30x0x2: performed negatives as described above

25x8

25x6

25x5

25x4

9-4-04

did a quick one today while I was waiting for the wife to get out of the bathroom so I could clean up

warmup 04#3

MM1dud: credit card then negative, 1/8 then negative, 1/8 then negative

MM2dud: 2 closes, 1 at credit card

04#3: 2 closes, played around with the credit card method for grins and I'm still a healthy 1/4 of an inch away, yet I can close the MM2dud almost on command....hmmm

LH

ISG: 6 attempts on 7,12 setting, 2 closes, 4 around 1/4-1/8

04#3: 1/4 poor attempt, credit card thought I had it, 1/8

5.5 inch HM pinch block: used a sanding block to round off the edges so I could get rid of the work gloves. Still nothing like the blob but doesn't have sharp edges anymore.

warmup 25

40x0

40x0

37.5 partial lockout

left same

Not too good but I was rushing trying to get in as much as I could before she got out

Later in the day...

picked up a 2 inch pony clamp at Home Depot for 1.19 and did negatives on it while riding in the car all day running errands(the wife drove). Did well over 20 sets my thumbs are toast. This is MUCH harder than my little black plastic one. I can close it for almost 30 reps and I can't fully close this new one. Best 1.19 I ever spent.

Picked up an 8lb sledge so I could remove some concrete in the front( :whistel ) at least that's how I sold it to the wife. 5 sets of 5 on sledge rotations a little more than halfway down the handle, 2 sets of 1 levering to the back at full handle length

9-5-04

Did some IM loading pin hammer curls(grip up on end away from weight) while I was waiting on the wife to get ready

50x5

60x3

65x3

70x1

75x1

80x to 90 degrees couldn't lock out

9-5-04

Did another 12 sets with the 2inch pony clamp while watching tv through the evening. I did mostly negatives and fought it all the way out. I also added a large rubberband. Next week I'm going to wrap it twice.