World's Strongest Grip Competition

Adam Black

It all makes sense now. The contest title and ironmind news just created needles confusion. This is a really cool thing Mike the Destroyer is doing. I'm interested to see if anyone succesfully challenges him.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• warrior

• Tom of Iowa2

• OldGuy

I did tell him that the title is, for the most part by-the-by (it being his comp and all) but is at worst misleading.

Well, he has accomplished one thing for certain. 2 weeks ago, I did not know who Mike Roy is. Today, I do. The challenge and backing it himself is cool. Calling it The World's Strongest Grip Competition is not. It certainly does put it in a different light. Before it was something really misleading with a cool name. Now it's something really cool with a misleading name.

Edited by CMunger

Nah, I'm still doing the Diesel Grip Contest. That's where the world class feats will happen.

Thank's to all of you to understand the destroyer point of view. So if you know some one who able to beat mikeroyin is feat :rock , let me know.

As others have said, the challenge idea is really cool, but the misinterpretation over the name and idea of the contest is not.

• 4 weeks later...

Is this contest still on? Who is invited? The website and forum haven't changed for over a month.

Wade

Cool, and a better name.

Challenge him, Wade. I'd be surprised if he could beat you even at his picked events.

Yea, i'm sure he's strong at whatever lifts he came up with.

Whoever is speaking for mike on this board, tell him to do some lifts/feats that people would be aware of. There are people from all around on this board, some of the strongest in the world, and challenging them to something they don't specialize in is stupid. That would be like my challenging you guys to a guitar playing contest. Its just not gonna happen.

BTW, i saw his website, or something, and it liked like he was having a hard time bending a 60d....guys on this board use that as a warm up.

Worlds greatest guitarist competition at my house next week....only guys from this board are invited. No big name people who play guitar please. :D

You got right, we have a hard time bending a 60d......and deck of card!!!! :D That's why we will put roller thunder and your feats next year, we have guys in training on our side to defeat and probably beat you in your feats. :bow

Let's all take a deep breath......

It's a challenge. Of course, the guy's gonna contest his best lifts. That's the nature of a strongman challenge. Saxon says to Sandow, "Can you bent press this barbell?" Apollon says to the world, "Can you lift my wheels?" Slim says, "Can you lever my sledges?"

I'd like to go see what this challenge is like. And to hopefully understand the events better in person. I'm still a little confused as to what nail exactly they are bending. Is it a 60d? or 100d? And I've got no clue what the banana dumbell or the ball event will be like. Is it really that tuff? Hard to tell til you actually try the implement.

Unfortunately, my Grandparents are celebrating their 70th wedding anniversary that day. That's not exactly something you can get out of....

Yeah, as I said before, the only "problem" with this contest is the name. Poorly chosen, poorly thought out. But of course it got all of our attention. It is merely a strongman challenge being held at a festival. He's putting up money as challenge bait. Personally, I'd love to see Big Steve go up there and have a run at it.

What the guy is doing is cool. What he's callign it is not.

well...ask mike roy where we can get implements that he uses and how the lifts go, and we will train and beat him. Otherwise you can just call the event

"Mike the destroyer and his events that he makes up that you can't train on so come and try to beat me challenge"

it's called: Destroyer grip challenge, the toughest grip challenge in the world. Sure your contest is good too, but in our contest if you have good grip, you will be able to do the feats, maybe not all, but you can do a lot of them. The contest is based on the fact that you can't have 100%, like a Dr exam, and if you would have 100%, we will check the time between guys who got 100%. That's not just lifting stuff contest, that's a visual show to. We have to put it visual, because the Tv will be there. People don't wanna see blob lifting or stuff like that, they wanna see visual things. Ex.: Every of us bend nails or tear deack of card, and people are more impress when they see you bend nails than when you lift 1000 pounds on squat, why because every body can try to bend nails or tearing deck of card, but it's not the case for the squat. And for the other lift in our contest it's tough stuff, but visual to, the banana lift are not very heavy, 90 pounds, almost all of us can lift it, but could you squeeze enough to keep the weight up??? And all people are impress to see that. Maybe this year you won't compete in that, doesn't matter, because you could get a tape of that contest to see what kind of contest is it. Anyway We don't want to compare your global grip challenge. It's like powerlifting, strongman and weightlifting, all of this 3 lifts are calculated max strength, but strongman use visual stuff and non-conventionnal lift, same thing for us. That's a challenge, the destroyer grip challenge, not the George or Henry challenge. If you accept the challenge, come down and try it. Every year, soem stuff and lift will change like in strongman contest. We always want new stuff, visual stuff. And for the next year it will have a price for the best old time lift invented, and that lift will be in the next contest. Please don't compare your contest to our, that's not the same thing.

All of you are invited to the contest, come to compete or just to check and try stuff. :D

Warrior, I spoke to Mike Roy and he seemed a little more amenable that his mouth piece.

well, why not send our guys a video of the lifts and let us know how to make these contraptions to train on?

I wouldn't enter a strongman competition without training those events, why would I or anyone else enter a contest with events we no nothing about? When people enter any kind of contest, they have a good knowledge of what they are in for.

To call this contest the "toughest grip contest" shows how full of shit you guys are. I'm not comparing your contest to the GGC, but maybe I should. In the GGC, there are clear rules and explanations of the events, for your contest, i see none of that. Like i said earlier, this would be like me holding a guitar playing contest and invite people who don't play guitar or not let them practice what will be done at the contest.

Its nice that you want to make something visual, but its not nice that people enter this contest with no idea of the lifts involved. But maybe you do this so audiences think Mike has the strongest grip.

You guys have a nice little way of fooling average people, but please don't try to pull your shit here.

Moderator edit: I think your posts are turning into personal attacks against

warrior and his contest. warrior is a registered member here and does not

deserve the language used to flame him or his contest. At least be nice with your

disagreements :cool . My delete button is on the ready! Thanks

:calm

I don't have the problem with this contest that some people seem to. I think the name change is alot better and the original problem was the name, people thought it was supposed to be a grip contest. It is but it isn't, its a grip based challenge. I like the idea of strongmen challenging each other to duplicate our pet feats, hell, thats why were all still chasing the inch DB. The only thing I wanna know about this whole deal is.... If Mike Roy has come to America, challenged the best, and they all backed down because his strength was too great (which they may have, I don't know) why does John Brookfield (one of the challenged) not mention Mike Roy as one of today's grip masters in his book "Mastery of hand strength"?

Again, I think this kind of stuff is cool and I someday will have my own challenges that hopefully I can defend. I think it makes things more interesting if there is a "Terminator nail that no other man can bend!" or a "Pexter dumbbell that cannot be lifted" and things like that. Put up a few hundred bucks challenge money and see if somebody can't show up and take it. Now if you're wanting to have an actual contest and find who has the best all around grip, then it needs to be fair, planned in advance, and on accepted devices. Like the GGC, which I think will be the greatest US grip CONTEST in history. But, again, I think CHALLENGES are cool too. Oh, and I do hope some US gripster goes up there and beats him. :rock

I think the contest certainly has some flaws but what I really like about it is there emphasis on making it visual. I would love to see Gripping become more mainstream and visual contests, which attract large crowds, and thus more sponsors are what's going to do it. Look at how big the X-Games has become. I would love to click on ESPN, hear the famous theme song, and then see David Horne do a 1 hand lift with some ridiculous poundage. A pipe dream, but I'm sure you get the point.

Ok guys, thanks for comments and suggestions, we take it in our notes book for next year. I talk with Mike Roy, and next year we will tape a video of the events, but for this year, it's too late, all of us know it. And for the title, we change it from the world strongest grip contest to destroyer grip challenge, the toughest grip challenge in the world. It's a challenge, the toughest one, if it would be easy, all of you would be there to kick our canadian ass, don't you? So for next year tape, will be avalable on milo.

And for the comment: (If Mike Roy has come to America, challenged the best, and they all backed down because his strength was too great (which they may have, I don't know) why does John Brookfield (one of the challenged)).

I don't know why Brookfield, don't mentionne him, but he knows Mike very well. Mike goes to america to find some one to beat him in his feat of strengh, a lot of guys said: we are able to do your stuff. Anyway, the contest is here and will stay like date. I al ready gave you the link where we can see the events, nothing in that are complicated to lift. All things are made to give a chance to all hand size.

here the link for you again: http://www.geocities.com/davedaneault2000/...CONTESTGRIP.htm

I'm sorry if my posts seemed like personal attacks...maybe they did alittle upon rereading them.

Also, it seems as if personal attacks begin way before i posted in this thread. I was reading through the pages, because i was curiuos to see when warrior joined the board. Well, he joined the gripboard 2 days before he started posting on this forum. 21 of 23 posts have been in this thread. Obviously he heard that people were talking about this "contest" on the Gripboard, so he decided to see what he could find out.

If it seems like i'm flaming him or this contest, just please reread the posts in this thread, it was flamed before i even posted.