World's Strongest Grip Competition

Adam Black

I think he means Mike has attended the AOBS and the Arnold and doen his best work in front of the names mentioned, who by virtue of their strength and admiration for feats of hand strength, thought he was good (as he is).

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• warrior

• Tom of Iowa2

• OldGuy

You have it wrong-Mike has not faced the best we have to offer.

He has not yet faced Terminator, 3crusher, Big Steve, Shrug, Jedd Johnson, Clay, Tommy Heslep, Mobsterone, David Horne, Dave Morton, Eli Thomas, the Vigeants, Ostlund, etc. etc.

These fellas are the BEST in the world. Period.

Rick Walker :rock

I think he means Mike has attended the AOBS and the Arnold and doen his best work in front of the names mentioned, who by virtue of their strength and admiration for feats of hand strength, thought he was good (as he is).

It appeared to me that the names backed down from him for 4 years

and this side is not worth his time any longer.

T!

:whistel

Why doesn't he pump some of that big fat old wedge of cash into the Global and go head to head with the top three? I'd kick ass for $5000.00 nwever mind $20k

Why doesn't he pump some of that big fat old wedge of cash into the Global and go head to head with the top three? I'd kick ass for $5000.00 nwever mind $20k

He may lose out on the original $20,000 ;)

T!

Didn't old time strongmen specialize in certain feats and then challenge other strongmen to come and duplicate them? In that sense I guess Roy's contest is in the old time tradition.

Personally I would love to see the strongest guys around here practice some of the weird ass events and go take the 10 grand.

Everyone who follows grip knows the events are set up for Roy, so if you can beat him it would be all the more impressive. If you lose, well then challenge him to come over and do your events.

That's the gatineau festival balloun, and a strongman contest at the save time, that's one of the biggest festival we have in that time in quebec. Yes Mike will be there, he put other kind of lift, not just card tearing, they have other lift to give egual chance to anybody who participe to the contest. If you check the score, you can get a lot of points even if you don't do cards.

-dave, Mike roy destroyer grip best friend.

I suggest he attend the contest the Crew is putting on. Then, we'll see who's got the best grip.

While I agree that it was the tradition and maybe thats what was being got at we, here, have moved on from specialization to standardization. We have had enough arguments, disagreements and plain old falling outs to want to take a step back.

Take a look at the British, European and now Global Grip Challenge and see how many of the lifts are nigh on identical even down to the same equipment. The $10k CDN?? or more on offer is v cool but being among the very best in the world in lifts decided by your peers having beaten your peers? I think that that is worth a lot more than money can buy.

I am sure that at all the comps this year blood will spill, skin will be torn and sweat will bead many a brow. I am sure bods from here who have argued many a point will share a brew. I am also VERY sure that will shout our throats raw urging each other on and on to greater efforts and pat each other on the back in admiration. Providing I don't do myself an injury... I CAN' WAIT!! :rock

Mr. Roy is definitely invited. If he can make it, GREAT! All the better the contest.

However, I realize he is a busy man, though, and he has some plans that will conflict with Global Grip Challenge's date.

Again, Mr. Roy, come if you can. I would love to have you here. Let me know if you have any questions. Warrior, please pass this allong to him.

-Jedd-

I will say some thing to you mr, Walker, first that's not shit, if your not able to do this , don't do this. Second; that's an old time style in memories of vic buff and mithy atom. That's old lift, all for every kind of hand size, try to pick up the blob with tick hand, you wont be able, same thing for the others you have. If mike would like to be cheat or cheat, he would put 3 events, bending a penny, and you would have to bend it if you wanna try the other events, second wrist curl with one arm with 500 lbs and the last one 3 reps with 350 lbs gripper, the gripper with weight, not the capt crush. So becare ful before saying that's shit, because you can't pass the first bolt, if you think you can, come down !

-No hard feelings. 

This is obviously mike the "destroyer" speaking. Tearing cards? We have the best card tearers in the world here. Watch Tommy Heslep do it-he can tear a deck in 1 second flat. Watch Steve McGranahan tear 2 decks like nothing. Watch him tear a deck of cards in his TEETH. I can tear decks as well-no big deal there.

Pick up blobs with big hands???? Are you f*cking kidding me??? Again, enter 350+ pound Steve McGranahan-his hands are bear paws. He does a double blob pinch and walks with them. Dont play the hand size card here pal, it just doesnt fly.

Mike-if this is you-please come to the Diesel Grip Contest and truly face the BEST in the world. Dont hide behind what is amounting to be a joke of a contest. Dont hide behind hand size, thickness, or poor english skills. Come here-and compete. We have fellas at the Diesel Comp. who are bending reds to 6" and under, closing #4s, hoisting the Inch like a toy, 2-hand pinching well over 200 pounds, the list goes on. Tearing cards? A joke. Plain and simple.

You couldnt pay me enough to go to Canada, let alone compete there. Come here Mike. You wont be disappointed. ;)

Send those guys a copy of Steves McGranahans video.

I shit my pants and so did a lot of other VERY strong guys that watched it.

(I mean VERY strong guys) ;) .

We all had to clean up some skid marks.WOW!

Nothing against Mike the Destroyer but what 'conventional'feats has he done?

And REAL athletic competitions?

Any REAL grip contests?

Any REAL strongman contests?

Any REAL lifting contests?

If not?????why not?

???????Conventional grip feats:Deadlifted and INCH?Cleaned an INCH?Got any air time with the Millenium?Lifted a Blob?Rolling thunder poundage?Plate Pinch poundage?Bent a blue or Red nail(they are readily accessible),closed a #3 (or a #4?),wrist rolling?,eagle loop lifts, levering a sledge hammer(old school Slim the Hammerman style)Plate curls?

The INCH,Millenium and even REAL blobs a rare....but I'd think a famous strongman with money could find a way to try them?And would try to find them to lift?

Any OTHER conventional grip feats or lifts that the rest of the grip world can relate to?

Just wondering?

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

Didn't old time strongmen specialize in certain feats and then challenge other strongmen to come and duplicate them? In that sense I guess Roy's contest is in the old time tradition.

Personally I would love to see the strongest guys around here practice some of the weird ass events and go take the 10 grand.

Everyone who follows grip knows the events are set up for Roy, so if you can beat him it would be all the more impressive. If you lose, well then challenge him to come over and do your events.

Doesn't it say on the updated part of Ironminds site that Randall will pass on suggestions and concerns. Well all I have seen so far is an apparant stubborn refusal to alter any event whatsoever. ]

The many, many potential comeptitors from here that Mike et al could go up against have sent emails, post comments and voiced their concerns and all that has happened is we have been 'called out' and had Vic Boffs name etc thrown in our faces as though these same people are/were comepting.

I might be wrong but I don't think Kinney, Brookfield, Sorin etc are coming. If no changes are made it is almost certian that no one and certainly very few from here will compete so what will happen.

Either Mikeroy will be lifting on his own and his followers will shout 'no one came , he is king' etc or the contest cannot go ahead. If the changes are made then maybe, just maybe, there will be a contest with good if not the best grip guys in the world vying for $10k CDN - then there will be something to shout about.

If, by some miricle, I am able to set foot on the stage I would 'big it up' for the cameras and make sure it looks like it could be 'an event'.

I feel, however, that there will be more drama here on the net than there will be a few months from now. A few beer addled guys, attracted by the money, will play at lifting and all the true grip athletes will stay away. No drama, no competition and a wooden trophy and hollow win.

I will say some thing to you mr, Walker, first that's not shit, if your not able to do this , don't do this. Second; that's an old time style in memories of vic buff and mithy atom. That's old lift, all for every kind of hand size, try to pick up the blob with tick hand, you wont be able, same thing for the others you have. If mike would like to be cheat or cheat, he would put 3 events, bending a penny, and you would have to bend it if you wanna try the other events, second wrist curl with one arm with 500 lbs and the last one 3 reps with 350 lbs gripper, the gripper with weight, not the capt crush. So becare ful before saying that's shit, because you can't pass the first bolt, if you think you can, come down !

-No hard feelings. 

This is obviously mike the "destroyer" speaking. Tearing cards? We have the best card tearers in the world here. Watch Tommy Heslep do it-he can tear a deck in 1 second flat. Watch Steve McGranahan tear 2 decks like nothing. Watch him tear a deck of cards in his TEETH. I can tear decks as well-no big deal there.

Pick up blobs with big hands???? Are you f*cking kidding me??? Again, enter 350+ pound Steve McGranahan-his hands are bear paws. He does a double blob pinch and walks with them. Dont play the hand size card here pal, it just doesnt fly.

Mike-if this is you-please come to the Diesel Grip Contest and truly face the BEST in the world. Dont hide behind what is amounting to be a joke of a contest. Dont hide behind hand size, thickness, or poor english skills. Come here-and compete. We have fellas at the Diesel Comp. who are bending reds to 6" and under, closing #4s, hoisting the Inch like a toy, 2-hand pinching well over 200 pounds, the list goes on. Tearing cards? A joke. Plain and simple.

You couldnt pay me enough to go to Canada, let alone compete there. Come here Mike. You wont be disappointed. ;)

Send those guys a copy of Steves McGranahans video.

I shit my pants and so did a lot of other VERY strong guys that watched it.

(I mean VERY strong guys) ;) .

We all had to clean up some skid marks.WOW!

Nothing against Mike the Destroyer but what 'conventional'feats has he done?

And REAL athletic competitions?

Any REAL grip contests?

Any REAL strongman contests?

Any REAL lifting contests?

If not?????why not?

???????Conventional grip feats:Deadlifted and INCH?Cleaned an INCH?Got any air time with the Millenium?Lifted a Blob?Rolling thunder poundage?Plate Pinch poundage?Bent a blue or Red nail(they are readily accessible),closed a #3 (or a #4?),wrist rolling?,eagle loop lifts, levering a sledge hammer(old school Slim the Hammerman style)Plate curls?

The INCH,Millenium and even REAL blobs a rare....but I'd think a famous strongman with money could find a way to try them?And would try to find them to lift?

Any OTHER conventional grip feats or lifts that the rest of the grip world can relate to?

Just wondering?

None of the above. he has done, as many here have, some feats of strength that Slim et al witnessed when he attended the AOBS. Mikeroy's supporters should get the videos out. At the last 2 or three AOBS dinners many GB members have done the same. Mikeroy is and has been for sometime different in that he makes money from such events and feats of strength. He is a professional grip strength athlete.

I have said it before and will say it again - we all have our pet feats of strength. If that was all we did how could we judge ourselves against each other? I am better than some (modest I know) and better than Mikeroy (tis true) at a few lifts. He would hand my ass to me (and others) in card tearing events. Others would silence us both their handling of the blob and so on. Only by truly levelling the playing field can a competitor be properly judged by all as having 'The World's Strongest Grip'. Man that is a GREAT TITLE.

If Mikeroy et al can change the events to suit all and still go ahead with the competition, and if we, from the board can send our best (maybe chip in a few $ to help them pay their fares) then Mikeroy et al could be proud.

Firstly for making the changes, secondly for putting up the big bucks - even $10000 CDN ain't chump change - and finally for still putting their names on the line.

Is it me or have I missed the actual date of the comp - when is it??

I have just emailed mike via mikedestroyer@hotmail.com and asked him if he is willing to enter into a debate.

Hello, to all grip guys, i talked with mikeroy destroyer yesterday for along time, i gave him all your comments. I give you his answer in this message, he said that he can't beat you in your feat of strength, but if he want he can find somebody in the world who can beat you, maybe on just one feat but this person will beat you, the question is not to find someone to beat you, because you are all good in what you do, the question is to find someone to beat the destroyer in is own feat of strength, just one person. so to speak you can call it THE DESTROYER challange, he defeat all people in the world to beat him in his own feat of strength. He wants to know if he is the best in what he does. At the begining it was just spike bending and cards tearing, but we add old time lift in memories of old strongman, the bananas lift was a Vic Buff idea, not our, the king kong ball was a little bit modificated from the Paul Anderson version, and the other lift have all somethings to the old time. Find some one in the world, just to beat mike in the card and spîke, and if he just beat him in this feat of strength, he will get 1000$ us, and if some one beat him in the all contest, you will have 10 000 can, from his own pocket, X2 his is own cie, not the one you show in a previous message. All the money in that contest is his own, so that's a old time challange, like louis Cyr did. :D

Can Tommy Heslep give Mike a run for his money in cards?

I think so!

Also, in Steve McGranahan's new video-he tears an entire deck in his teeth.

BIG Steve

These guys are 2 of the best in the world. Combine that with the 50 other best in the world we have on this board, and you will see why The Grip Board is #1 in Grip Strength.

Period.

the bananas lift was a Vic Buff idea, not our, the king kong ball was a little bit modificated from the Paul Anderson version,

Warrior,

How much does that banana dumbbell weigh?

T!

You might find that he speaks only French.

Oh no he doesn't!! :D

He just rung me from Canada and we had a nice chat. Further to what Warrior posted here's the gist of our chat.

1) As per Warrior: Mikeroy is, as has been said, putting on event that, for now he favours and chooses. However, he also said that many of the events were ones that Vic Boff and others favoured. So, as per one of the posts on Ironmind, he chose the lifts to honor old-time strongmen.

I reminded him that it was rare indeed for old time strongmen to copy each others lifts and that perhaps I could ionly think of Cyr and (in his early days) Sandow that deliberately trained and beat others at 'their' events. And that this is why we had moved on.

2) I told him that we have had many arguments, debates and discussions that finally led to our settling on five or so standard events. I suggested, like the 2 extra trophies at the GGC comp that he could have five standard lifts and then (similar to David Horne's comp list for many years where there was 25 or so events to choose from) he could have the same 5 events and 2 'old-time' events every year (with differing ones from his own list each year).

3) He said, as I suggested in the British Iron Grip com thread, that having the event held with a potential crowd of some 200000 over the weekend means that events needed to be visual - ones that are great to watch. He added that it needed to be this way this year especially as, has been mentioned, it's his money ($10000)that the prizes come from but by putting on a show he will better be able to get outside sponsorship next year (the aforementioned $20000).

4) Like the GGC 6th lift / your feat of strength event, there is an idea of having people get extra prize money for a special feat or trick lift which they and they alone can do well. Others would get to try this, if they wanted a go and if they could beat the originator they would get this prize.

I have to say I thought it was very cool of him to call from Canada, talk over the points (which he did well - maybe better than his friends) and discuss the option of having (next year mind) a more standardized format. If he does I'll go.

Feel free to ask me, while I recall, if he mentioned anything else I didn't include here.

So this is an old time challenge, beat the guy at his events and get his money, There has to be some Card tearers/benders on this site that are willing to give this a shot ?

So this is an old time challenge, beat the guy at his events and get his money.

It's kinda.

So this is an old time challenge, beat the guy at his events and get his money.

It's kinda.

That puts quite a different spin on the issue.

He should have written from start that it was a Destroyer challenge to the world of gripsters. That is really cool I think.

Under those assumptions, and not under the assumption that it really was a world greatest grip contests in the spirit of competitions like the Euro championsships I think that he would have gotten a whole lot more credit instead of bad gripboard press.