World's Strongest Grip Competition

Adam Black

RE: Anybody know how to contact Girard?

Yeah, I do.

Him and I are almost the same age (out by a month) and grew up on opposite sides of the same river. Given that I speak Quebecois french fluently, we've emailed in the past and I've got an open invite to drop in and train with him next time I'm in Gatineau.

Whadja need?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• warrior

• Tom of Iowa2

• OldGuy

Wade?

Samuelson?

Monkey Paws?

Dave Morton?

David Horne?

Mobsterone?

Clay?

haugen?

Pfister?

mark henry?

Benny?

Big Steve?

Tommy?

The dude from Estonia that holds the world record in the Rolling Thunder?

add:Shrug

add:Joel Sward

Thick bar,supporting grip.pinch,with $10,000 up for grabs?would likely improve his crush and do some bending?

:laugh $300 US

Well yes that is true but on the other hand the Candian taxation system does not tax prize money...whereas the IRS  :stuart ???

Jon@han

The ever compassionate IRS taxes our taxes!

Their theme song is the Beatle's "Tax Man".

By the way, with only ten invites chosen, I don't think the title of "World's Strongest Grip" is appropriate. It just seems there are many more than that who would have a legitimate chance of winning. I fear many true contenders will be overlooked.

Edited by EricMilfeld

Anybody got an invite yet? :D

Or talked to Strossen about what the criteria is....i.e. who gets an invite and why?

How about Hugo?someone e-mail him?

Dutch - what do you want me to ask him??????

Who's Dutch?Wasn't that the name of Arnolds character in the movie Predator? :D

i make Arnold look like Gumby. :tongue

There is nothing inparticular that i want to ask him.

I just think those with world class grips or an interest in competeing for $10,000 might have contacted Hugo to find out how THEY might get an invite.Or that such world class guys might have made an inquirey to Strossen- as Strossen was listed as someone Hugo would consult with?

IF anybody had made an inquirey?I was hoping to find out what the poop is.

Is anyone on the forum interested in competeing?

I think its Odd that we haven't heard more about it..... :erm

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

Anubody know who has got an invite so far, wheather from the board or not.

• 4 weeks later...

What's the latest news on this?

-Jedd-

I just posted this on Hugo's website.

Are there any invites going out to the guys on the GripBoard?

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=7912&st=0

There are many gripsters on the board who have an excellent chance of winning and have accomplished world class feats of grip strength.  IMO the winner would be a GripBoard member if they were allowed to compete.

Thanks

Chris

As I said above, my money would be on the GripBoard members if they were invited.

Ask him who he is considering and if any are from the gripboard known 'names'? Cheers.

Include Chris James :D

Also Nathan wont mind me saying this,but his Brothers Craig and Gavin are stronger in all around grip,i think that craig is the best at all round stuff.

I think Big Steve would be my favourite.

My guess is the top guys here won't get an invite. Just a hunch.

My guess is the top guys here won't get an invite. Just a hunch.

I agree with you. The TOP guys wont

• 2 weeks later...

Ask him who he is considering and if any are from the gripboard known 'names'? Cheers.

The problem with most 'known'grippers/gripmasters/grip athletes :blink is that they are essentially only known by other grippers.Sorry but it appears that way to me...and others I have spoken to. :inno

I would guess? they(the promoters) will invite people who they "know of"....IF they don't know of you? or of your grip strength? it is unlikely that you will get invited.

It may not be fair but I would guess it is the way it is.

I would guess that many contestants at this "Worlds Strongest Grip " will probably be well known strong men...partly? because if HUGO doesn't know you exist he probably isn't going to invite you.I bet there might be a few armwrestlers as they are 'known'and Strossen seems to really get a woody about the sport.

Also.There was very little 'gripboard'representation at last years Rolling THunder cPro and amateur NATIONALS and this is a 'big deal'to Strossen.IMO,Being there and doing well?would have helped some of you guys.I don't think he's going to invite you or put in a good word for you because you can rep the #3? :erm

Wade,Mazza,Ostlund,And several other members are known because they ARE strongmen.I don't know if they'll get invited either but it helps that they are "outside of the box"

Clay is getting his name out there in Highland Games,Recently strongman,and his recent win at the Venice beach grip contest.I don't know that he'll get invited but NOW Strossen and Odd haugen and a few others KNOW the name.

Is he the best/strongest grip on the forum?nope.

I hope some of you guys get invited.You deserve it....but?????If they don't know who you are?Or if they barely know your name?I would suspect you aren't going to get invited.

Good luck.Some of you guys really deserve to be there. :cool

A little self promotion? or E-mails to Strossen or Hugo probably wouldn't hurt.

If they don't know your name?you can't play the game. :yikes

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

It would be very disapointing to see winning feats/lifts in the WSGC that are casual feats of the gripboard's own champions and masters. I can't stand the idea of someone claiming to have the world's strongest grip when in all actuality he is out-classed in many aspects by many others.

Consider the number of guys listed in this topic that other members think should be invited. Take that number over our total number of members. Compare this percentage of gripmasters to another population, strength athletes or not, and without a doubt, this is most likely THE best place to look for contestants. Just a darn shame to see most of the guys to not get a chance.

I'm a little more optimistic about who will get invited. The announcement said there would be events testing bending, card tearing, pinching, and crushing. I doubt if many pro strongmen do bending or card tearing... the contest seems to be set up for serious gripsters.

The announcement also said that Strossen and Sorin were involved in setting it up. Sorin is obviously aware of the talent on this board. With Strossen involved, all #4 closers and red benders will no doubt get serious consideration, otherwise it would be bad for the image of COCs and Ironmind business.

From this board, I see David Horne, Wade, Dave Morton, Tommy, and Big Steve, at least, getting invites. I'm sure others like Monkey Paws would do well, but they might not be on the radar.

Yeah some strongmen don't train bending. Brian S. has a hell of a thick bar grip but Didn't put the slightest kink in a grade 5.

Any updates?

Rumors?

Any one on the forum try to contact Hugo?

(Old guy,I dropped the welbutrin and zanax. :whacked )

• 3 weeks later...

Any new info on this?

• 3 weeks later...

Ironmind posted the events:

The proposed list of events is presented as it was given to IronMind, along with the proposed scoring system. 1. bending a six-inch nail (10 points) 2. bending a six-inch grade 8 bolt (15 points) 3. tearing one deck of plastic cards (10 points) 4. tearing one deck of plastic cards (10 points) 5. tearing two decks of cards (15 points) 6. tearing two decks of cards (15 points) 7. tearing two decks of cards (15 points) 8. grip power stairs, grabbing the plates by their lip (5, 10 and 15 points for the three steps) 9. banana dumbbell press (3 reps for 15 points) 10. one-finger curl (10 points) 11. mini-Atlas stone, lifted with a thumb’s up pinch grip (5, 5 and 10 points for the three “stones”) 12. holding onto a vertical bar with weight hanging from the wrist, done for time (10 points).

I already sent my comments to Dr. Strossen.

BTW, I plan to hold the "Strongest Grip in the World" contest the same weekend at Jackal's Gym with my life savings as prize money. Events include: Blob Farmer's Walk, Pinch 2-45's Farmer's Walk, Two Hand Plate Pinch for Max, 6-10 pound Plate Pinch (hold for time), Max Blob, Max Ironmind BlockBuster, Double Inch Farmer's Walk. Anyone want to come? Kidding of course but hopefully you will see my point.

Yes very strange selection of events indeed. Vertical bar for time tend to rip your skin off your fingers and palm.

Is the list written correctly?...5 out of 12 events are card tearing. It puts the top card tearer at a great advantage over top benders, grippers and pinchers. Why not just call it "The World Greatest Card Tearer Competition." Also, the event format is not clear to me. Event two for example, does everyone who bends a grade 8 get all 15 points or he who bends the bolt the fastest wins 15 with everyone else recieveing consecutively less points for slower bends?

IMHO the events, as they stand, will not decisively prove who has the worlds strongest grip.