• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• warrior

• Tom of Iowa2

• OldGuy

IronMind was right in there with everyone else on this, especially because we first introduced the idea of crushing, pinching and supporting grip in 1991 and this concept – now widely accepted and repeated - has been the basis of most modern grip contests.

:rolleyes

Strossen invented crushing, pinching, and supporting grip. Give me a fu*king break.

I hope Strossen's mole on the board, and we all know there is one, runs and tells him what the best grip athletes in the world think about his joke contest.

Rick Walker :rock

Rick, not to defend Strossen, but he is not the one putting on the contest. A promoter in Canada is. After he got my feedback on what I thought of the contest events, he said that Ironmind really has no say in what events are being contested.

IronMind was right in there with everyone else on this, especially because we first introduced the idea of crushing, pinching and supporting grip in 1991 and this concept – now widely accepted and repeated - has been the basis of most modern grip contests.
Clay-

It was the whole

because we first introduced the idea of crushing, pinching and supporting grip in 1991 and this concept – now widely accepted and repeated - has been the basis of most modern grip contests.
that pissed me off.

Rick Walker :rock

Gotcha. That rubbed me the wrong way too.

Instead of inventing, I'd say it's more like "Hey, train your grip all sorts of ways and buy our stuff so you can."

Mike Roy is in charge of the contest according to IM. Is this the same guy that did the rim lift/plate pinch lift that a lot of people thought was fake. The guy had his own webpage and had long hair and was supposed to be quite the card tearer. I think the guys name was Mike the Destroyer. I tried a search for the thread but couldn't find it.

Looks like we need to email Randall again and maybe translate Mikes site as well - I'd love to see a 885 trapeze lift ha ha

So is Mike Roy, Mike the Destroyer?

Yes, and Mob it's a 585 # rim shrug. Does anybody know if he ever managed to tear his 1000 deck's of cards at the arnold ?

Jad, me and my small hands like your signature.

Edited by Darco

I think what Randy meant was that Ironmind introduced the categories of pinching, supporting, and crushing grip strength, not that they invented it. I personally didn't diferentiate between the different types of grip until I read it in their catalog several years ago - did any of you? Now this categorization forms the basis for all of our grip training programs so it seems very commonplace and maybe that is why you guys are getting "rubbed the wrong way". I really doubt Randy has a mole on this board - I don't think he gives a crap either way what people say on here. As for Mike Roy, from what I understand he is competing. The bending and tearing events completely cater to his strengths. The other off the wall stuff makes me wonder if the events are part of his show. This is not a fair contest.

Why don't they run it like an old-fashioned weightlifting contest?

You have, let's say 14 different events. On the day of the contest, all events are put in a hat and say only 8 random are picked. You then pick one as a possible tie-breaker (if need be).

That way the playing field is level and all competitors have an equal chance.

Well, this is disappointing. A possibly tailored contest to fit one person who will be considered to have the "World's Strongest Grip" although there are others who might blow him away in several other areas of grip.

The REAL World's Strongest Grip contest is taking place in Pennsylvania on September 18th. Who wins that means more to me than who wins the WSG

Only a pathetic peace of sh t would set up a contest to his strengths as Mike Roy is doing. If he had any respect for himself he wouldn't be doing this. This is truely PATHETIC.

Edited by patrick

Last 10 Posts [ In reverse order ]Sean Dockery Posted on Jul 15 2004, 03:25 PM

check out the "World's Strongest Grip Forum"

How long do you think it will be before the three guys on that forum run out of things to discuss?

Edited by GordonV

My reply:

Yep, I'd love the money (there is money right??) and the title 'world's strongest grip' but I have never seen or competed in an event so one-sided as this. What a bizarre mix of movements which favour Mike Roy above anything and everyone else.

I am amazed and disappointed that Ironmind have seen fit to promote this competition. Even Randall changed the wording to (BS mind) about how they introduced the three facets of grip strength.

If Mikeroy and those around him are big enough they will get themselves over to the gripboard which has more Captains of Crush than anywhere else and where there have been many, many online competitions, championships and now European and international competitions all using the same rules and equipment and similar lifts and events.

To call this world class competitionis wrong in so many ways least of all by having only events which Mikeroy likes and is (it has to be said) among the best at. It's like me having an event with just the Inch dumbbell, Millennium dumbbell, grippers and Rolling Thunder.

Email: steve@gripperbook.com

Some guy on that other board said ..

Big name are scare about the contest

Here is my 0.02

I don't profess to know all about the guys on this gripboard, but when I think about big names in the grip world I think about the guys here, and I am damn sure that they aren't scared of any grip contest that is out there now or may be out there in the future.

Skeptical at the format and structure, maybe. Scared? No way!

Keep the change

I felt up for this contest even though I thought the events were a bit wierd, even for a grip comp. But with the way it has panned out so that it is Mike Roy's exhibition really, it sucks big time! So I doubt this will be my swan song as I thought, but the European champs in August will instead.

I'll just have to visit Canada another time.

David