World's Strongest Grip Competition

Adam Black

Is Brookfield planning on competing in this? The Ironmind site says that he will not compete at the world steel bending champs, maybe he doesn't intend to compete here either.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• warrior

• Tom of Iowa2

• OldGuy

Screw good grief - what a farce!! Card tearing?? is 3 of the events?? WTF??

Something is screwed up with that list.

3. tearing one deck of plastic cards (10 points)

4. tearing one deck of plastic cards (10 points)

5. tearing two decks of cards (15 points)

6. tearing two decks of cards (15 points)

7. tearing two decks of cards (15 points)

3 and 4 are the same, 5 6 and 7 are the same! So only 2 card tearing events.

I emailed Strossen and suggested it just wouldn't be a grip contest without some sort of thick bar event. I also suggested adding plate pinching, gripper closing, making the v-bar for max weight, and adding a farmers for time. Not sure if I'll get my way though :D

Just to clarify this so John Brookfield doesn't get a bad name, I talked to him about this contest a couple weeks ago. I don't think he is planning to compete but I didn't ask him directly. He told me he talked to the promoter (was asked for his input on the events) and specifically told him he didn't favor bending or tearing as events in this contest. Also, Randy is sincere in asking for your comments. The promoter has asked him for comments and he is opening it up to the grip community so be sure to email him if you have suggestions. Hopefully the event list will straighten out or I don't see the top grip guys even going.

Wade

12. holding onto a vertical bar with weight hanging from the wrist, done for time (10 points).

This one confuses me a bit. It says holding onto the bar while weight hanging from the wrist...how does weight hanging from the wrist test grip?

12. holding onto a vertical bar with weight hanging from the wrist, done for time (10 points).

This one confuses me a bit. It says holding onto the bar while weight hanging from the wrist...how does weight hanging from the wrist test grip?

How can the weight hang from the v-bar and the wrist at the same time?

I'll email him this weekend. There have been enough competitions that he is aware of to template from.

Wade,

Do you mean to say that Brookfield will have a good showing at the contest?

:laugh:laugh

I emailed Randy and heard back from him just now. It appears that there really are several card tearing events, and Randy even confirmed it with the organizer to make sure it wasn't a typo. I was confused on what a "banana dumbbell" lift is, and it is apparently a lift where a banana shaped dumbbell handle is used. When loaded with weight and lifted, the curved handle tries to roll out of your hands.

With regards to the vertical bar lift with the weight hanging off of your wrist, here is how it was explained to me: You've got a loop hanging off of your wrist, and that loop is hooked to a loading pin with weights on it. You then grab a vertical bar (a support in your power rack was the example Randy gave me) and try to hold on while the weight is trying to pull your wrist and hand down.

Man if we were allowed to use a wrist strap during v bar lifts I'd be pulling 300 kilos!! What a farce.

A vertical lift with a strap? What's the point of that?

Hey, how about a gripper event where you can crush close the gripper with two hands? :whistel

And all those other lifts. Not that it wouldn't be fun to watch, but it sounds more like grip circus.

Does strossen even know the events of the more standardized grip competitions?

:trout

Edited by nagual

I guess I wasn't clear about the vertical lift explanation. Picture yourself standing up with your hand grabbing a vertical upright of your power rack. Now imagine that you have weight hanging off of your wrist. The weight is trying to pull your hand down, and you have to squeeze hard onto the vertical upright in order to keep your hand from sliding down.

Naqual, Strossen isn't the one organizing the competition, and he has no say in the selection of the events. All he can do is relay the feedback that he gets from us.

Edited by ClayEdgin

If Dennis Rogers and Brookfield enter this contest who wins???????

I though at first you had to lift a dumbbell with a banana in the same hand to make it slippery.

Nearly crapped myself from that one, dude.

Hilarious.

-Jedd-

Maybe I'm the only dumb one, but these 5 "events" didn't make any sense:

3. tearing one deck of plastic cards (10 points)

4. tearing one deck of plastic cards (10 points)

5. tearing two decks of cards (15 points)

6. tearing two decks of cards (15 points)

7. tearing two decks of cards (15 points)

So what I'm thinking is there will be a time limit to do 3 and 4 (i.e. tear two single decks) and then a time limit to do 5,6, and 7 (i.e. tear 3 double decks). Or maybe a time limit to do 3-7. So maybe that's actually only one or two separate tearing events.

The last event they listed is for time, so I guess that would serve to break any ties.

But come on, no crush or thick bar lift??? I guess crushing and supporting strength aren't requirements for world's strongest grip?