Record Of Strength

foggymountainmuscle

Foggy, Since you placed 3rd at last years nationals it should qualify you for this years. You should email Dione and ask her.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• foggymountainmuscle

• danegarreau

• mossman

• Meat Loaf

Foggy, Since you placed 3rd at last years nationals it should qualify you for this years. You should email Dione and ask her.

I was thinking that was a possibility and yes I am planning on contacting her about that.

Great minds think alike. ;)

Good news, I found out I can qualify for nationals if I compete in an open class at a competition. I'm going to plan on doing this one competition in Fenton, MI.

05-07-05

Well last Saturday turned out to be alright. I got to do a strongman performance for this cookout/dance our school had going on to raise money for the crisis in Daufor. I think we raised over 500 dollars which is impressive considering our school doesn't even have 300 students. I did some kettlebell stunts, bent a spike, levered my sledge, broke a nail while holding my kettlebell by a leather strap with my teeth, ripped a deck in the box, cornered a deck, lifted my kettlebell with my outer limit loops, lifted my 35lbs. blob and ended with tearing a license plate in half.

I had to have an intermission after I tore through this tough 900+ phonebook after doing a bunch of other stuff because my forearms were so pumped, and so sore that I could hardly move my hands. After the swelling went back down I did some more stuff and got right back to where I was after tearing the license plate in half. The organisers were glad I agreed to put on the show and I enjoyed doing it.

05-11-05

Lower body

I haven't been able to work out too much lately. Finals, advanced placement testing, final projects and studying have taken up most of my time. I had a clear schedual today so I got to workout.

I did zercher squats with a fat towel wrapped around the bar. I warmed up with 135, 225, and did 5 reps at 265, 285, and 300. I did some lockouts going up to and past 400lbs. but they weren't much of a challenge so I decided next time I'll increase the range of motion and I held 400lbs. for about 12 seconds. I did some neck supports, working my way to breaking 400lbs. off the ground, but did not do a full lockout/stand up. I dropped back down and did some reps with 315. I did some reps for my front neck with a set of 95lbs., 110lbs. and since my neck was fried I did another set of reps at 110 at a little different position. I did 3 sets of turkish get ups with 65, 75, and 80lbs. 3 reps each side. I planned on doing more but this workout was taking forever and I decided I had done enough and could leave more for Friday.

Ever since the last day of finals I have been without my computer, I had to return it back to the school, hence, infrequent updates but, still possible with the help of a fiends computer.

05-15-05

So let's see here, Sunday I did upper body work. I heard this great idea for one arm pullup training on the gripboard, by having one arm grip the bar, and another grip a piece of rope hung over the bar, less help being offered by the rope hand the lower the grip on the rope. So I did chinups like that, for 3 sets starting with a high grip on the rope and lowering my grip slightly after each rep. The next thing I did was bench, and I wrapped the bar pretty thick with my towel. The set didn't go so well. I had trouble getting 6 with 180 and I believe I only got 3 reps at 200, and only a single at 215. I can't remember the other sets. I also did some neck work with the neck harness, doing lifts off the ground. I broke 400lbs. off the ground but didn't stand up all the way with it. I dropped back down and did 5 reps with weights I can't remember for front and back. I then did 3 sets of 5 Turkish getups working up from 65, 75, and 80. I ended with strapped deadholds doing 315 for 30 seconds, and two sets of 405 for 30 seconds.

05-16-05

Lowerbody

I did band resisted squats. I kind of gauged my weights a bit too low, but it was still enough to make me plenty sore the day after. Let's see I believe it was 5 reps at 135, 225, 275, and 300. Then I did calf raises on a standing calf machine using 180lbs for one set of 5 and 200lbs. for 2 sets of 5. I then did my patented overhead sidebends for sets of 5 with 50, 60, 65, 70. 50 was a warmup. I ended the workout with walking on my heals with my partner on my back, for a shin workout. We go forwards, backwards, and side to side, great workout.

05-17-05

Did gripbash stuff. I pulled 225 on the v bar with my left and 215 with my right. My right didn't have it that day I guess, wasn't catching the bar like my left was. I got 225 off the ground with it, but it did not clear 2 inches.

05-18-05

Upper Body

Did more one arm pullup training, although this time it was one handed pullups. I did triples for sets, working my grip farther down the rope each set. After 3 sets I then did 3 sets of negatives while gripping the end of the rope. The next lift I did was a chest crush using a red 25Kg plate, 2 25s and a loading pin. I did 3 sets of 5 and they were TOUGH. After that was more neck training. I did full range lifts front and back with my neck for a set of 10 at 45lbs. and 2 sets of 5 with 55lbs. I did isometrics using a towel wrapped around my head as resistance for the sides of my neck. The next thing was a balls out dumbell clean and press for reps. I used 65lbs. dumbells and only got 6, when I wanted to get 12. Well I waited a bit and grinded through them, getting 5 on the next try and then pushpressing the 6th. Since I couldn't even curl a 55lbs. dumbell, I figured my biceps had had enough. I ended with hyper shrugs, a set of 5 reps with 200, 211, and 222. I always drape a towel over my front like an apron to protect my junk from getting raked over by a +200lbs barbell when I do hypershrugs.

No, I am not yet done with school. In order to make our scheduals more closely resemble a normal school year, our school has what is called a "May Term". This is kind of a jack of period. There are numerous travel opportunities, but they are usually cultural and language related and cost alot of money. I'm doing a mayterm at school on a course about catapults where we mostly build catapults for 3 hours a day, then we're done.

Nope, it isn't bad at all really, but on the other hand there is not much to do around here, especially on the weekends.

05-21-05

Gym was closed today so instead of working on my snatch like I had planned, I did a jumping workout. I was jumping onto ledges, getting higher and higher, but didn't get as high as I did last time. I did some jumps for distance got a little over 9 feet I believe, not sure how exact that is. Then I did some jumping on one foot, which is really quite different. I think this would be good for preventing knee injuries by condition the joint to handle the lateral component of sudden impacts. I got a cool PR when I jumped up 4 stairs on one foot.

05-22-05

Lower Arm

I found a rock in the university quad, and I brought it back to behind my dorm building. I'd say it is about 50lbs. and I've been using it for pinch work, pinching it at different grips. After a few sessions of working with it I finally was able to pinchi it with just one hand. Couldn't quite get it wih my left though. It made for an interesting pinch grip workout lifting it in various spots over its surface. With a natual stone though, being asymetrical on all sides, one hand is not able to grip the stone in the same manner that the other can. I went back to my room and worked with my grippers a bit. Kinda worn out from the pinching, I did a few sets of 5 reps/attempts with my filed #2 in a choker. I ended the workout with some wrist leering. I held a sledge about half way down the handle for time, front and back, for two sets. I did reverse curls and curls with the sledge for the twisting motion of the wrist, very interesting lift, but an advanced one. It has a greater potential for injury, I think, but only if you are inexperienced or have weak wrist.

• 2 weeks later...

03-31-05

Grip and lower body

I did a kind of greace the groove workout with farmer walks today. I have my two railroad ties with grips that are 1.5" pipe, so that's about a 2" diameter handle. At different times during the day I picked up the things and went with them my set distance from the end of our driveway to the end of our boat. Sometimes I had one drop. But did that 4 different times and then after the 4th one I ended it with two strap deadholds, each for about 40 seconds. With the free time I have in the summer, I plan to impliment the use of GTG more often with different things so I'll be able to do them any time, anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have been working out but my modem was fried during a storm a while back so I haven't gotten to post any workouts lately. I recently got a flipping tire, which has been estimated to weigh 500lbs. I've done a workout with it, I can only flip it 3 times in a row quick enough for contest speed, after that it is very slow, I want to get 5 flips as quick as the first, then I'll stick some more tires in it to make it heavier. Interesting story about the tire, when we went to get it, we thought we could lay it sideways in my truck, so we didn't bring ratchet straps with us. Turns out it was too big and we loaded the thing in the truck with a forklift. We thought we had it pretty good, but once we turned on the highway it flopped out into the other lane. Good thing no other cars were comming. :inno So we rolled it off the road with the help of a guy who stopped to help us, went to a store to buy some straps, then pushed the thing back into the truckbed without breaking the tailgate, strapped it down, and headed off.

I did an upper body workout with some rafter pullups, some brick presses, and some 3" cast iron pipe curls, along with some brick stack lifts, and reverse curls with my 3" pipe sections.

Today after I got done with working I decided to practice Mansfield lifts. (That's a stiff leg zercher with your feet 18" apart or less) I don't know how much the bar I used weighs, it's a standard bar, but if it weighs 25lbs then I did sets of 5 with 125, 175, and 195lbs. Oh man these hit the hamstrings hard. Not wanting to neglect my quads I shoulded a winter traction sandbag and did 15 reps each side back to back without rest. Good cardio and my quads were screaming. No telling how much it weighed, becaus the 70lbs. sandbag was wet.

06-14-05

Lower Arm

I tore up a bunch of cards. I did some warm ups and then I went to work on tearing a deck in one swift motion, idealily tearing a deck in a split second like JB can. I did 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, and stalled out at 42, having to ajust my grip to finish that one off. After that I tore the halves left over from my deck fractions behind my back, then tore a bunch of those deck fractions left handed until my fingers were hurting pretty hard from the tearing. Then I went out to my shed to do some plate wrist curls and plate curls using an easy 25lbs. plate and finished with some reverse wrist curls with 75lbs., both exercises for 3 sets of 5... or however many reps I could manage.

06-15-05

Upper Body

This wasn't the greatest workout, but I made myself go through with it and I'm glad I finished it. I kinda had a circuit thing going on, with not too much rest between sets of 8 with an extra 25lbs. rope pullups, holding a dragon flag for time for two sets, side bends with a warmup of 50lbs. and two working sets with 75lbs. for 5 reps, and the barbell clean and press for 3 sets of 5 reps with 155. I bombed on my last set of pullups, only getting 4. Those first 3 reps in the clean and press were easy, but that 5 rep was always pretty darn tough. Normally I would strach a workout that got off to a bad start like this one, but I wanted to do lower body work tomarrow, and hit abs today, so there was no room for waste.

06-18-05

Lower Body

I tried to practice the heavy duckwalk for my next competition but as I tried to put it all together, it was clear I did not have the proper equipment. I plan to fix that soon, I need to practice it because 350 is a heavy duckwalk. I flipped my tire after that, I got 5 reps in 55 seconds, a great PR. The next set I tried to go faster, but it fell apart at the 3rd rep because my form was deteriorating from trying to go faster. I finished out the set, and disregaurded the time. I finished the workout with 3 set of dragging my truck, like a sled, using two rope ends. As I pulled the incline of the road got steeper. I did three sets of that, going until my legs just weren't taking the truck anywhere. Really big pump in my thighs. Sled is one of the events at nationals.

Should be the 2005 Strongman Test of Strength II in Fenton MI. July 4th. It will be my first time competiting as an adult. I am using it to qualify for teen nationals though. The events are pretty heavy.

225 Farmers walk, 200 Ft, one turn

50ft duckwalk with 350 + 750lbs. tire flip 5 times

Log medly of 190, 210, 230, and 250

500lbs. Conan's Wheel

42" platform Atlus Stones 195, 213, 260, 310, and 335

90 seconds for each event. I don't have a whole lot more time left to prepare for this contest, but I should be able to hold my own.

06-20-05

I was pretty beat from work but I decided to do a workout. Didn't go all out though, except on my abs. I hope to get into a gym to workout sometime soon, the dumbells I was using tonight didn't seem as secure as I'd like. I did some pushpresses with dumbells, 5 reps at 50, 5 reps at 70, and 4 reps at 95. 95 wasn't as heavy as I thought it would be. I hope I can get up that 230lbs. log. Inspired by John Wood's recent FHS article, I set up a climbing rope and did a few climbs without the help of my legs, I think I'll use thicker rope next time. I did two sets of dragon flags, which was about all I could handle, got 4 good reps the first time, next set I only got about 3 shitty ones. Much improved considering how beat I was already. I did an oblique exercise, kinda like a flagpole with legs folded, and I held it for about 10 seconds each time for 3 sets. I eneded the workout with holding a hanging leg raise about 90 degrees for as long as I could.

Yup, haven't been posting much. I have done a few workouts. I did some ab and neck work along with some strapless timed holds on a partial deadlift, plus some gripper holds, a few days ago. The grip work being for farmer's walk training.

Today I did kind of a run through of events for my next strongman competition. I did some push presses with 100lbs. dumbell. These standard dumbells are pretty crappy, trying to do a clean with them is frustrating to say the least because the plates just can't be held secure. After a few heavy lifts of those I moved on to lifting my smaller rock, which turned out to be bigger than I remembered. I lifted that into my lap 5 times, 1 set of 1 and 1 set of 4. Then I did a few timed holds with my farmer walk impliments, sertain impeadiments prevented me from moving them out of the woods. Then I flipped my tire, but I was pretty gassed cause I couldn't do it very fast. That was it. I think I will do better at this competition than I originally expected.

The contest in Fenton didn't go too well. I had a sever asthma attack after the first event and was unable to go on. It was the 350 duckwalk and tire flip. I was so gassed I couldn't get a single tire flip. Then I couldn't catch my breath, and I got a real bad headache, which I think was cause by heat sickness. I was rather suprised that I finished the duckwalk so quickly, but I think those tire flip attempts did me under. I am unsure if my last year placing qualifies me for this years nationals or not, we'll have to see.

On the bright side today I hit a bending PR with some HRS 1/4" square stock. Didn't have a ruler on me so I don't know how long it was. Tried for the grade 5 but it wasn't comming. I did some reps on my filed #2, then a set of chocker closes with my PDA 280 and then a set of negatives with my PDA 295. I finished with 2 sets of hard large shot rotaion, one in each direction.

07-11-05

Made a yoke out of an old barbell and some chain. I was having a time with just 180lbs. I walked with that for a few runs, then tried 250, which was too big a jump, it felt darn heavy. I had to come in for supper after that, but I think I'm going to keep working on this every day until I can be smooth with 300, then I'll train normal until I can get 500lbs.

Haven't been keeping real good track of my workouts lately. Sometimes I go to the school gym with my cousin to lift after work, sometimes I do stuff at home, it's all been on the fly and I don't feel terribly guilty of not recording it as schedualed.

I have however recently broke 2 35s off the ground, again, hopefully a full deadlift comming soon. Did real good with some blob and hex blob training. I'm going to have to do more high volume bending because I'm just hurting myself trying to push to the G5. I put up my punching bag in my shed and worked a bit on that today, I hope to start kicking it too. I've been trying to do more cardio as well, jumped a little rope today. I practiced again with my yoke, which other than deadlifting is my lower body focus for nationals comming up. Up to 300lbs. for 50 feet, right on track.

A few days ago I did some dumbell clean and press with 85s, to practice for the log lift. I was tired, but it was harder than I thought. Warmed up with 50s and did 3 sets of 3, missing the last rep on the 3rd set. Did some table curls, and got a new PR of 75lbs. I practiced some high pulls, for the powerstair event, I hope the stairs aren't to high because I can't pull too much above my waist anything over 300lbs.

Today I did a lower arm workout. I started with grippers. Did 12 reps per hand on my filed trainer, could only get about 3 good reps per hand on my #1, and could only eek out singles on my filed #2. Missed with the left, but had it not been filed, I could nail the #2 pretty consistanly... at least I think. Did a few chocker closes with my PDA 280, pretty satisfied with the number of full closes I got doing singles alternating hands. Couldn't bring it together though for a regular close on the sucker, still stuck on that last 3/16". I think a wider chocker would help, but I tried a house clamp and it sucked as a chocker. I dropped back down and a long hold on my #2. I moved on to reverse curls with my 3" cast iron pipe. Definately felt stronger at this, but could get all 5 reps on my 3rd set. I alternated 25lbs. plate curls for 3 sets of five with the reverse curls. Missed the very last rep with my right, that was it, much improved. I'm going to buy a C clamp so I can add weight. I did timed holds with 2 25s plate pinches. 2 sets of holding until failure and for the last set I switch off until I couldn't hold on to them at all. I ended with sand bucket work, opening my hand until it hurt pretty bad, and did wrist circles in both directions until I was satisfied.

Anyone think this is too much in one workout? I tried to put together exercises that wouldn't drain too much strength away from the others. Seemed to work pretty good.