• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• foggymountainmuscle

• danegarreau

• mossman

• Meat Loaf

Fantastically strong Foggy. :bow

For someone who is aCOC to say that to me means alot. Thanks.

Todays workout was a lower arm workout. I wanted to do plate curls using 2 10lbs. bumper plates they have for the olympic bars, but I couldn't do them. So I used 2 5Kg plates with my loading pin through them and did 5, 4, 3, reps for 3 sets. I wanted to do 5 reps, just couldn't though. Next thing I did was reverse curls on my axle. I warmed up with no weight, the collors, 1.25Kg on each side, then did 3 sets of 6 with the weight and collars on. Big pump, that 6th rep hurt terribly everytime. I tried doing some pinch work using these stacking steps in the gym that have some low running wood boards near it's sides, but it didn't workout too well and it was a hit and miss thing. I tried some reverse plate pinching using my loading pin and some small weights but couldn't get it to go so I just lifted 2.5Kg plates with the back of my tumb and balanced 10Kg plates on the back of my fingers until they fell off. I cooled down by hanging from one arm on the pullup handles that rotate freely.

Foggy,

Can you explain dragon flags?

Fantastically strong Foggy. :bow

For someone who is aCOC to say that to me means alot. Thanks.

Todays workout was a lower arm workout. I wanted to do plate curls using 2 10lbs. bumper plates they have for the olympic bars, but I couldn't do them. So I used 2 5Kg plates with my loading pin through them and did 5, 4, 3, reps for 3 sets. I wanted to do 5 reps, just couldn't though. Next thing I did was reverse curls on my axle. I warmed up with no weight, the collors, 1.25Kg on each side, then did 3 sets of 6 with the weight and collars on. Big pump, that 6th rep hurt terribly everytime. I tried doing some pinch work using these stacking steps in the gym that have some low running wood boards near it's sides, but it didn't workout too well and it was a hit and miss thing. I tried some reverse plate pinching using my loading pin and some small weights but couldn't get it to go so I just lifted 2.5Kg plates with the back of my tumb and balanced 10Kg plates on the back of my fingers until they fell off. I cooled down by hanging from one arm on the pullup handles that rotate freely.

Dragon flags is the name I hear Pavel give to an ab exercise, in honor of Bruce Lee because they were a favorite in his ab routine. It is basicly a leg raise in which you raise your torso in line with your legs as well. I will discuss this in my next article. The difficutly level is very high and if you haven't done them before you may need a partners help. The negative is very difficult, I doubt I could do a full rep and lower my feet to inches from the floor to come back up more than once, but I can do about 5 or six reps in a row. You need to grab onto something sturdy too because you need to put alot of back pressure on the floor to anchor yourself.

09-26-05

First workout as a 19 year old, it was a pretty good one. I did zerchers, warming up with 60Kg and 80Kg for 5 reps. I then did triples at 100Kg, 110Kg, 120Kg, and got a single at 130Kg. That was a tough last rep, it wasn't going smooth, but I got it past my knees and I pulled it back in and stood up with it. I cooled down with some Mansfield lifts and one handed zerchers with 60Kg.

For calves, I did some warmups and put 405 on the bar. I fully extended my calves under the bar and held it for 10 seconds, 15 the next, and 20 for the last set. The pain of the bar in my back felt worse than my calves. I always try to time myself for isomentrics because if you don't set a goal for yourself, you will undoubtedly submit to the pain before you get close to failure. For my shins I grabbed the hundred pound dumbells and walked on my heels forward backwards and side to side until I started to plod flat footed for 2 working sets. Hook gripping the dumbells made my fingers look like they had been run over by a car.

For abs I did some timed holds, training a flagpole position using the the handles on top of the power rack and its support beam. I'm very close to doing a flagpole, and this exercise has helped. I could only hold it for 5-6 seconds, and I did 3 sets each side. I ended by doing 3 sets of 5 reps of leg raises. Leg raises that were over my head, which is pretty tough to keep up, I only got 3 on the last set.

Foggy - I really enjoy reading your log. A great mix up of movements for a routine - no muscle group will ever adapt to all those changes. You're in a class of your own on the Zerchers and your ab workouts would drop me like a rock. Keep it up!

Foggy - I really enjoy reading your log.  A great mix up of movements for a routine - no muscle group will ever adapt to all those changes.  You're in a class of your own on the Zerchers and your ab workouts would drop me like a rock.  Keep it up!

Thanks, I do plan to set a world record in the zercher and Mansfield lifts at some point in my life. I got to thinking and in my workout for zerchers it was really 100, 110, 120, and 130Kg for triples, and a single at 140Kg (308lbs.). My hamstrings are still sore from it. It's interesting that you would say that about my ab routine; I would have thought most people wouldn't think it is very much, considering the low volume (though it is usually very heavy) but that's what I get results with: 2 sets of 10 or 3 sets of 5 for front and sides twice a week gives me consistant improvements in size and strength. To some people who do 100s of situps each day, this is unthinkable, because if they did think of it, they might just get results! :yikes I would imagine my heavy compound movements and partial training also play a role in this developement.

Yesterday I was worlking on doing handstands and handstand pushups. Also a good core developer but I think I'll need a partner to help me with this. I don't feel I made a lot of progress towards being able to balance myself.

Awesome - go get the WR Zercher - I know you can do it. I'd like to set one myself - if I gain a couple pounds the WR for my class is only 130K - iIt's like 155K if I stay in this class. It helps to be old. Mansfield lift is not for old, stiff, and 6'2" guys.

As for your ab routine - I've tried copying it before and it spanked me pretty good - I did it but paid the price later. Whole different game than a couple sets of situps.

Awesome - go get the WR Zercher - I know you can do it.  I'd like to set one myself - if I gain a couple pounds the WR for my class is only 130K - iIt's like 155K if I stay in this class.  It helps to be old.  Mansfield lift is not for old, stiff, and 6'2" guys. 

As for your ab routine - I've tried copying it before and it spanked me pretty good - I did it but paid the price later.  Whole different game than a couple sets of situps.

Do you have a link where there is various records for weight classes? I looked on the USAWA and couldn't find any record listings, though I thought I have seen them before. If you are really interested in Mansfield lifts, or want to improve your flexability in the regular zercher, try putting it in the crook of your arms regular style, then go down in a mansfield lift. I have no problems meeting the plates to the floor like this but I have to pick up the barbell farther up on my forearm for the first rep. I did a 200lbs. Mansfield on a whim, so I think I have over 225lbs. in me. When I was doing the zerchers last time I got to wondering if I would be the first person to do a double bodyweight zercher, if not I think that's still a good mark to reach.

Todays workout was a circuit of exercises for active recovery. I did 10 reps in the deadlift with 100Kg, then 60Kg for bent over rows and overhead press. I only got 9 reps on the overhead press, it was working. Little time inbetween, I started up again with 100Kg rock bottom squats, I held 20Kg bumpers in my hands pinch style for 30 seconds, 60Kg for the floor press, then cheat curls with 60Kg, then I did a deadhold with 60Kg for 30 seconds, then I ended with reverse curls with an empty barbell. I think I'll do this as a cardio and anaerobic conditioner more often. Normally I would have just used my kettlebell but it was raining and wet outside and I didn't want to have to deal with a wet kettlebell handle that I can't get dry enough.

I then did some neck bridge training. Two sets of 8 tilts per side in the neck bridge, with and extra 25lbs. I tried to do some neck bridges as best I could with my slick head on the aerobic mat, and for my front neck, I put a 25lbs. plate on my forehead and held my head a little bit above the floor for 2 sets of 20 seconds. I did some jump roping betweent the neck work too. This neck workout wasn't too heavy but after all that conditioning, I didn't have alot more to give.

E10. Manfield Lift

The barbell is placed at the lifter's feet. With knees locked and legs straight, the lifter bends from the waist only in such a fashion that he/she places his/her forearms under the bar fully and the bar rests in the crook of the elbows. Any bending of the legs is a disqualification. Once the bar is fixed at the elbows, the lifter then rises to a position in which the torso is erect and the shoulders square. The lift is completed on command, but begins at the lifter's discretion. The feet may not be wider than 12 inches (30.5 cms) inside the heel and they may not be moved, although heels and toes may rise.

Great work on the Zerchers Foggy...one of the guys on the IAWA website, Bob Hirsh, has done 484@165! :bow So that's a hair away from 3 times his bodyweight. You are probably very close to the 18-19 record though. It looks like it's 352 pounds for the weight I think you're in...

Set your sights on it and KILL IT! :rock

484 is quite crazy, but I'm still up for it. I figured triple bodyweight would have to be reached at some point, right now I'm a few kilos under double my bodyweight.

Thanks for posting the rules too, I forgot it was 12 inces apart on the Mansfield, I was thinkin 18. In my training I'll have to try to figure out a good deadlift to zercher to Mansfield ratio. I think I'll start using my thickbar too so it will be more difficult with less weight and won't smash my forearms up so much. I'll also be working on one armed zerchers as well.

09-30-05

8lbs. Sledge hammer work

I did everything under the sun with sledges. I did forward, rear, and side to side, full motion levering. I placed my hand just above the lettering (the lettering is about 1.5 feet from the head) on the handle for the front levering, just under the lettering for rear, and right on it for twisting. I did 3 sets of 6 for each group. I should move up on the front and stick with it for the rest. I was really only getting 5 and 4 reps out of the twisting, but it was still just as intense. Now I did some other movements I have recently started doing in my seldg routine. I was not satisfied by the limited range of resistance in the twisting motion with a hammer, so I complimented each twisting set with reverse grip twisting (both motions) so that I would lever against resistance were it would normally fade out due to the verticle resistance of gravity. Not much weight can be used like this but I think it gives you a more well rounded wrist workout. Time will tell just how effective it really is.

10-02-05

I did some one-handed snatches on my Appolon's Axle. I did doubles to work my way up to 100lbs. for a single. I started with the empty bar, then 55lbs., and moved up in 5Kg incriments all the way to 100lbs. I got it with my left at 100lbs. too, but before I could stand up with it I did a nasty wipeout that could have been a serious fall if I had hit the back of my head on the power rack. I felt this was a good stopping point because I barely made the rep and I had 10 minutes to get to the dining hall before it closed.

10-02-05

I did some one-handed snatches on my Appolon's Axle. I did doubles to work my way up to 100lbs. for a single. I started with the empty bar, then 55lbs., and moved up in 5Kg incriments all the way to 100lbs. I got it with my left at 100lbs. too, but before I could stand up with it I did a nasty wipeout that could have been a serious fall if I had hit the back of my head on the power rack. I felt this was a good stopping point because I barely made the rep and I had 10 minutes to get to the dining hall before it closed

GREAT job man! :rock 100 is a very serious lift on that.

Thanks Ben, I'm pretty sure I could have been up for a little bit more if my preparation was a little longer with more attempts, but I was rushing a bit to get done. So expect another PR in a week or so.

10-05-05

Lower Arm and Back

I was rereading Dinosaur Training, like I do every now and then and I stumbled upon his reccomendation of one and two finger lifts and realized I hadn't done them in a long time.

I started off with 60Kg on the bar and with my last two fingers of each hand I did 4 reps (2 one way, 2 the other) and worked up 15Kg at a time. Towards the end I just did 2 lifts, both directions, and for the final lift of 300lbs. I just did it with my fingers facing in my stronger direction. (right over, left under) I did the same for my first two fingers (using the weights of the last two fingers as warm-ups) to reach 344lbs. I thought those were some good PRs, but I expected to do more with my first two fingers. I ended with 3 sets of wrist rollers using 15Kg for reverse, and 17.5Kg for the front.

EDIT: Last time I did these I think was grip bash V where I got 285lbs. with the first two fingers, now that's a PR! :cool

Edited by foggymountainmuscle

10-09-05

Nothing much today, just practicing bent press technique with about 75lbs. on my thickbar, in addition to some two-hands anyhow with an extra 50lbs. dumbell. I still wasn't well recovered from the stuff I did earlier this week. I hit a pinch PR though by breaking 2 10Kg plates with a 10lbs. bumper weight in the middle of them, off the ground. So I'm closer than ever to getting 3 25s lifted. 2 15Kg for a full deadlift should happen soon then too; just a matter of trying. I did 3 sets of about 4 reps using my bands to deload the plates for the working sets though. I also was able to plate curl two 10lbs. bumper weights (same size as any 45lbs. plate). They were kinda sloppy but it wasn't like I cleaned them.

10-12-05

I was hoping to bend a horseshoe today, but I didn't, and most of the rest of the workout pissed me off more than any other workout in a long time. BUT! I hit a new PR of CLOSING MY PDA 280! It took about a year and a half of training to do it, but I did it. My left hand was also closer than ever to closing it as well with getting down to 1/4".

Nice job Foggy!!!

That 3 can't be far behind now!!

Thanks Paul, I might have to use someone else's #3 because the one I have is harder than my PDA 295. Maybe it is because it is just unseasoned but my past attempts at my #3 were quite embarrising: just shy of an inch between handles. :flame

10-16-05

I did a quick cable workout with just 3 exercises. I used 3 cables for 3 sets of overhead to behind the neck pulldowns and the same resistance with cable resisted push-ups. The working sets were 8,9, and 10 reps. I did bow and arrow pulls with 3 cables double banded. I got one set of 5 each side, and after that my efforts were just pathedic. When bowfishing I can pull back a 75lbs. bow all day, but these cabels have got to be around 100-125 at full draw. Kinda quick but it was a solid, quick workout.

10-14-05

I forgot to record this jumping workout. It was standing long jump and I did a "reach the mark" strategy in order to reach it. My shins are still sore, and for a day or two most of my body was from it.

10-17-05

Lower Body, Lower arm, and Neck

Since my shins are still really sore, and I couldn't say that the rest of my lower body was entirely recovered except my lower back, I did suitcase deadlifts. I warmed up with 5 reps at 135, then 5 reps at 200, and did my working sets with 225lbs. for 3 reps each side for 2 sets. I attempted 4 reps on my last set but as close as they were I won't count them. I planned on doing a 3, 4, 5 working set sceme but by my last set I realize the warmups were more work than I would have admitted to when I did them.

For grip stuff I did timed holds of 10 seconds at 200lbs. on my Appolon's Axle. I did this for 4 sets. My first two sets I could have held on longer, but when I tried to do a 5th set I couldn't make it past 2. I did reverse curls on my thickbar. I warme up with 5 reps with 55lbs., then did singles with 65, then 70, and couldn't make 75, but I did do a few negatives at that weight. That 70 was a nice, tough, barely made it but didn't cheat single. You know it's a heavy reverse curl when your wrist start to bend down during the lift. For my extensors I ran my load strap from my neck harness through a 5lbs. weight and pushed out on the strap to keep the weight level with just the back of my fingers. I did some thumb extension lifts with this weight as well.

For neck I used my neck harness and worked up to a 10 second hold at 250, with warmups at 90, 180, and 225. I did fully extented holds for my front neck with 45lbs, than 50lbs for 2 sets, each for 10 seconds. For the sides of my neck I did some hard isometric stretching drills.

• 2 weeks later...

There was an upper body workout I didn't record that can easily be summed up as jerks without dropping the bar, so with a negative press motion, up to 225lbs. which I did for a double. I did triples, moving up in 10Kg incriments from 60Kg. I did some work on the ab roller where you hook your feet into and I had my friends help me with assisted one handed pullups for 3 sets of triples. I was then showing my friend Zottoman curls, which I did for 3 sets of 5 with 40lbs. and I showed him table curls, which I didn't go too heavy on.

I also didn't record a grip workout of me working with my blobs. Basically I'm working on being able to pick up my blob in any position, not just the "easy" zones on it, which is proving quite challenging. I won't be done with this baby until I can 2 finger snatch it on the slickest part.

10-30-05

Leverage workout

Inspired by my new Slim DVD I went right to work with my sledge hammer after I returned to my dorm from fall break. I did rear levers down to my face at the end of the handle for 3 sets of 5, starting with just the hammer, then some chain wrapped at the end, then with 3 horse shoes intwined with the chain. I did front levers with the hammer going from parallel to 90 degrees, which I like alot better than front levers with my arm straight down. I tried to do 5 reps in the same spot, with the extra weight and the horse shoes for last 2 sets as well. I did singles with hammer twist for about 4 sets and finished with some partial lifts which I think will really improve my tendon strength.

COuld you explain the partials? Sounds interesting. I also like doing front levers from parallel to 90 degrees. I do them with wrist only and also with a hammer curl type motion. Jad convinced me to do them this way and I love it.

Austin