Record Of Strength

foggymountainmuscle

For partials in sledge levering I do weaver stick lifts and hammer curls with weights, or leverages that I can barely budge off the ground. Breaking the hammer head free is a good lift with these heavy partials. I got the idea for partials with the twisting motion because the force needed to turn up the hammer near the perpendicular phase of the lift was very minimal, kinda like the squat lockout. So what I did was place the hammer head on a counter top of some kind and took a much lower grip than usual on the handle, and placed my hammer at an angle near perpendicular. Without moving my lower arm position in relation to the counter top, I crank real hard to get the sucker to perpendicular, it only moves a few inches away from the counter top, but it is very slow and very challenging. I would definately say this is an advanced exercise. Those new to levering would only hurt themselves trying to do these heavy partials. I do these partials in addition to my normal lifts, much like in my other training. Much like my other training, I use discreation when deciding if I will do them this workout or not. It would be difficult to explain in emperical forms why I chose to do partails for the twisting motions and not the front and rear directions last workout, but that is what I did and I feel it was the best decision. Hope that answers your question and gives you some ideas of your own, Austin.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• foggymountainmuscle

• danegarreau

• mossman

• Meat Loaf

10-31-05

Lower Body

I thought about doing a 20 rep squat workout, but I realized I hadn't got back into squating enough to be up for it, since I didn't do squats over the summer. Instead I planned on doing 4 sets of 6, which turned into 3 sets because it was brutal. I warmed up at 60Kg, 100Kg, and did my 3 working sets with 140Kg. After the third set I started to lock up in my legs, choke up in my lungs, and wanted to puke. I did some shin flexions using the hamstring curl machine in the gym, I did 6-10 reps at 36lbs. I didn't count too well because I was finding a grove has I went along. For calves I did donkey calf raises for 10 reps with no weight, 40Kg, and 60Kg for 2 sets. I did stretching afterwards. For my most intense stretch I used one of the stretch cables and attempted to do the splits laying on my back, with the cord on my feet. I push it farther apart with my hands and try to hold it until I can't stand it. I like doing this because it increases my flexibility and makes for a good abducter workout. I'm pretty sore today.

11-02-05

Upper Body

I started with dumbell bench. I warmed up with 60s, then 75s, then when to 90s where I got 5 for the first set, 3 for the second, and could only get a single after that. I was rather dissapointed. I got out my thickbar and did floorpress lockouts, working up to 2 singles at 368lbs. I did bent over rows with my thickbar, doing 54321 sets with 110, 154, 176, and I only got a single at 199. I practiced flagpoles using the power rack to assist me for three sets of 6-10 second holds, and I finished with dumbell bicep curls, 3 reps with 50, single at 55, and 5 negatives with 60lbs. Nothing spectacular this workout.

In my last workout I forgot to mention I did strapped deadholds. I held it for 30 seconds with 225, 315, 405, only got 25 seconds with 495, and 15 seconds or so on my second try. I'm feeling it today.

Tonight I just busted out the blobs. I picked up both of my 75 hexes at the same time, and I picked up my 35 blob with 2 fingers for the first time, full deadlift, both hands. Those are just the highlights, I did quite a few singles, and some holds.

Foggy,

I have always enjoed your in depth logs and varied routines.

Keep up the good work!

Foggy,

I have always enjoed your in depth logs and varied routines.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks Paul. I try to keep a detailed log. Sometimes I'm in a hurry or tired of writing, but I realize that if I skimp on detail, I won't really get anything out of logging my workouts. I am also aware other people keep track of this log, and I take pride that my training and log stand out.

11-07-05

Lower Body

I finally got around to recording this in the log, don't know why I took so long. I did one arm zerchers. 4 reps, two each side. I used my thickbar because it is easier to balance. I worked up to a top poundage of 167lbs. but I did sets at 85, 110, 135, and 150. After that I did singl leg calf raises using a 100lbs. dumbell for sets of 4, 5, and 4. I did dragon flags. I got a new PR, I was able to stop my feet from touching the ground during the desend, and bring it back up. The next two sets after that I could only do two, but I was going for super strict- straight body alignment form. I then did some hanging flagpole holds off the power racks, about 3 sets of 6-10 seconds on each side. I did neck work with neck bridging for reps, which I don't remember the count but it was around 6 to 10 for the 2 working sets. I did 6 reps for 2 sets using the barbell on top of my head for front neck curls. I ended with a some abductor work. I want to do the splits, and I think this is a good exercise. I spread my legs out as wide as they could go, using the rungs on the power rack, then pulled myself up and tried to remain in my fully outstretched position while hanging in air. It didn't last very long for the 5 times I did it, but man did it hurt!

I've been sick for the past few days, so I didn't train. Last training session I did do, I was working on double overhand bending. I also tried a new wrist exercise: Iron Cross Pushups. I love it. I used a copper pipe bullet with a T junction on the end and did pushups off of them. I started off with girl pushups, but after I got some confidence and practice, I was able to do multiple real pushups.

11-14-05

Total Body

Nothing big, just a light workout to rebound from my sickness. I did parellel grip snatches on my thickbar and did sets of 4 with 35, 40, 45, and 50Kg. I was really nailing the split catch, which seemed to catch the attention of most of the gym goers. Used an elastic band to help deload 2 15Kg bumper plates so I could lift them. I was doing pretty good, and I reduced the band tension for 3 sets until I attempted with no assistance. Didn't clear the ground, but boy I could tell I was close, not even half a pound away I bet. However I did tear a serious chunk out of the base of my left thumb- bummer. I guess I'll be doing wide pinching until it heals. I tested out my Olympic plate formulator knock-off. Works great, I was having a time with reverse wrist curls with only 2.5lbs. I was doing okay with 5lbs. for wrist curls until it hurt the back of my hand so bad I could not stand it. I need to put padding on the handles. I didn't think I'd be able to go heavy enough for it to hurt that bad, but damn!

My wrist were litterally shaking while eating dinner and holding up my cafiteria tray was tiresome after that wrist work. I must admit it, the formulator is probably worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been 2 weeks since I wrote in this. I have been training, but I was pressed for sleep and time due to a number of things at school. Here's a quick overview of some workouts I did but forgot the dates:

I did a gripper workout along with my hex blobs, finishing with one handed finger walks on my V-bar. I'm trying to get more reps on my filed #2 with both hands. I know there is more strength to be gained from using the number 2 even though I've closed my PDA 280. I'm very consistant with my blobs now, just trying to improve with longer holds, higher pulls, and less fingers, maybe some more weight in the future.

I did some cable and neck training, real quick workout, but solid. 3 double looped cables is still a heck of challenge to pull back like a bow and arrow.

11-27-05

I did a sledge hammer workout. I got the idea from an article about it at cyberpump. I swung my families old 10lbs. hammer on my big flipping tire, and an old truck tire behind our shed. I warmed up with some normal swings, then some golf club like swings, 20 reps per side. For the last two sets I did this type of swing where I take the hammer from overhead, to all the way down into a full squat when the hammer head lands, I love them. I did 20 per side the first set, then 25 per side the second set, no break between left and right side. I can feel it all over in my lower body, my abs, and my rear shoulders.

11-29-05

Lower Arm

I was practicing double overhand style, which hurts like hell I might add. I warmed up on easy timber ties, then tough timber ties, then tried out my new batch of 60D commons. I pre kinked the commons, starting with a about 15 degrees, to 5, to a barely perceptible kink. I got them all. On that last one I could hear the leather wraps stretching and ripping. I did pinching work with my blobs. I'm working on picking it up by the smooth sides and holding it for somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 seconds. I was lucky to get 11 with my first set on my right hand, the other times just sucked. I finished with some one handed finger walks and some extensions on my formulater knockoff.

11-30-05

Upper Body

The track team was taking up the lifting platforms. I was going to do bent pressing with my thickbar, but changed to one arm pushes with dumbells. I started with my one arm pullup work. I am improving in strength, soon I think I can do a controlled negative without assistance. For one arm pushes I did triples on each side with 75lbs., 85, 95, and did singles with 105lbs. I could have done 120 I bet but I knew my arms and sides were worked enough at that last set. I ended with 3 sets of 6 reps on the ab wheel that attaches to your legs that they have in the gym. I'm sore all over, I feel like I was hit by a car.

12-04-12

Lower Body and Lower Arm

My back was still kinda sore from the one arm pushes, so I opted for fronts squats since my quads were ready for some work. I warmed up with 60Kg, then 100Kg, did working sets with 120Kg and 130Kg for 5 reps each set. I planned on doing another set but I could tell I was already pretty worked over by the last set. These were rock bottom front squats. I did quarter front squats, and yes they did hurt but not that bad. I did triples sarting with 140Kg and worked up to 240Kg. I then did donkey calf raises using a dipping belt to tie on 40Kg, then 50Kg, and 60Kg for sets of 10. I walked on my heals with a friend on my back to work my shins.

For lower arm work I held 200lbs. on my thickbar for time. I got 15 seconds for 2 sets, and got a little less on a few more, and quit when I totally bombed. To finish I did Zottoman curls warming up with 35lbs. then 5 reps with 40lbs., and I did 5 reps with 45lbs. but I had to rest in order to finish that set.

Obviously that last post didn't take place in the year 2012 :dry wasn't thinking.

12-05-05

I started with dips, doing triples with no weight, extra 45, 90, 110, 135, almost got 145 for a single, but did get 140 for a single after that. The way the dipping bars are set up I can't do dip lockouts so I did over head partials with my arms starting at 90 degrees. I did triples starting with 200, and moved up to 225, then about 15 pounds at a time to a single at 260. This is pretty impressive because the top poundage is close to what I was doing for lockouts last year. The second lift was bent over dumbell rows, for 5x5 warming up with 55, 65, and doing working sets with 75. My right hand could get all the reps but my left hand had a hard time and I think it has to do with all the pulling I've done with bows and arrows. The weights I use are kinda low but that's because I paused at the top of each rep instead of slinging 150lbs. all over the place like most do in the gym. After this I did 2 sets of 10 reps with my neck harness doing curls front and back with 50lbs. then 60lbs. I did isometric holds for the side of my neck. For my abs, which took a good beating on the overhead partials, I did barbell side bends with the bar off center across my back. It was pretty heavy, I only did 2 sets of 5 but I pushed myself into agony and thought I might explode out the side on my last reps. I finished with 2 sets of 5 barbell cheat curls with 60Kg. And to think, I thought about not working out that day.

12-07-05

Lower Arm

Really good workout yesterday. Inspired by the topic of one and two finger lifts, I decided to go for 300lbs. in the middle finger deadlift on the barbell. I got a friend of mine to tape it, everyone in the gym was blown away. I know 300lbs. isn't much on this board, and if I really wanted to I, I probably could have gone higher, but that's what I wanted to get done. After that I did some one finger lifts for the other fingers. I did singles, but alternated my grip, so it was more like doubles. Tapped out at 65Kg with my pinkies, and 70Kg with my index and ring. For wrist I did iron cross pushups, getting 5 reps with a neutral grip, between the first two fingers, last two fingers, and neutral again. Five reps everyset, sometimes I feel over, but they were all real pushups. Once I can do 10 I think I'll add weight. I practiced narrow pinch, two hand grip on a 10Kg plate. I worked up to a single at 140lbs. a PR, I could break 145 and 150 off the ground, but didn't stand all the way up with it. The 145 probably would have passed at a contest though. To end I did extensor work and some finger walking.

12-11-05

Lower Body

Did something different that I haven't done with a big lift in a while, singles. I did singles with stiff leg deadlifts standing on 20Kg bumper plates. In 7 sets, I worked my way up to 375lbs. For claves, I did quarter squats while standing on my tose, starting with 100Kg, and adding 40Kg at a time, doing 5 reps, with my last set at 260Kg. For my shins I did foot flexsions using the hamstring curl machine, doing a light set with 36lbs. medium with 48, and a heavy set with 60lbs. For abs I did a little warmup in the power rack before going out of the gym to the staircase to hit a PR by doing a flagpole! After that I did one set of 5 negatives in the flagpole position for each side. I practiced my teeth lifting, doing 5 reps with 50, 75, 95, and 105lbs. For the rest of my neck I did neck bridges where I tilted my head side to side with a 10lbs. plate above my head, and I did 2 sets of 10 reverse mountain climbers for my neck and front abs. Great workout.

12-12-05

Upper Body and Lower Arm

My lats were cooked from the deadlifting, so I decided to round out my upper body work this week with some dumbell clean and presses. I started with grippers, cause I didn't want to suck at them. Mostly singles, I was really close on my PDA 280, but didn't get it. I was really close with my filed #2 on my left. I warmed up to the PDA 280, and after some attemps on that, I dropped back down to #2 attemps, then finished with negatives on the PDA 295 with my right and negatives with the 280 for my left, since my left is pretty far from closing it, but I'm thinking I should have gone with the 295 for the left. After hitting 65 for 15 reps ast time I did them I wanted to try my luck with 70, idealily I want to work up to the challenge issued in Dinosaur Training to do 75 for 15 reps. I warmed up with 50 for 10, then 60 for 8, I tried for 12 but only got 6 strict (although my counting tends to go fuzzy when lifts get hard) and was able to squeeze out 3 more with push press. I rested a bit and got 3 more reps. After this I worked on my 3 25s pinching, which was using 2 10Kg bumpers with a 10lbs. bumper inbetween them. I deloaded them with a light elastic band, doing 5 reps, then 4, then 3, then 2, putting more slack in the band as I went. Unnassited I broke it off the ground with both hands, but no full deadlift. I did 2 sets of 5 negatives to finish. I then did table curls, warming up with triples on 50, 60, 70, 75, then a single at 80. I did reverse curls with about 60lbs. on my 2" bar. I tried to do 3 sets of 5 but only got 4, 3, 2, and did negatives on my last set to get to 5. I ended with 2 sets of 15 second holds with 15Kg on my outer limit loops.

You are not the first person to ask me now that you mention it. Some friends of mine were wondering the same thing. I did plan on competing, but nothing in my league is comming up for a while. I want to compete as a lightweight adult. Chicago's strongest man looks like a competition I could do. Will be pretty darn heavy for me, but doable I feel. That's April 22nd.

A few days ago I did a grip workout of 25lbs. plate curls, some reverse wrist curls on my homemade formulator (which is currently in the shop but will come back better and uglier than ever) along with some plate pinching. I tried to do 2-25s with gloves but couldn't quite do it so I did negatives. I also did some bending but I found I'll have to get some more nails.

12-21-05

Deadlifting

Did some deadlifting with my brother. I warmed up with 135, and 225, then did working sets for 5 reps with 315, 345, and 365. Doesn't sound like much but this was standing on top of a set of really thick 35 plates I have which elevated me 2.5" above the floor. Next time I deadlift I'm hoping for a 405 for 5 reps.

I saw your article on training the core part 1 it really open my eyes about core strength. I was wondering when part 2 is coming out? have you tried uneven squats. it is where the bar is loaded with a diffrent amount of weight on each side.

12-24-05

Upper Body

I worked on rafter pullups. I tried to do a rafter switch. When I couldn't I decided to work on my explosiveness and I jumped to catch myself on the rafters, which was hard but doable. I also worked on my spike bending but I did not have good enough padding on my hands to finish them off, which was very disappointing.

12-26-05

Total Body

I did thick bar clean and pushpresses warming up with 5 reps at 125, then did working sets with 5 reps at 175, 4 reps at 185, and 3 reps at 195. I worked on my one arm pullups by pulling myself up on rope with one arm, and my other hand on the rafter on the ceiling. I did this for 3 sets. On my last set I only used 2 fingers on the rafter grip and still got it. I used my fabled cables for neck resistance on all for sides as well for 10 second and 12 second holds.

Jermy I haven't tried uneven squats, I'll have to give it a whirl. I don't think I'll be able to finish the article until I am back down at school which is January 22nd. So I hope to get it done by the end of January but one never knows.

• 2 weeks later...

Time to dust off the old log here. I have been training while on break, but not as formal as I usually do and hence haven't felt the need to keep track but I wanted to write down some milestones and good workouts for referance.

Last deadlift workout I worked up to a set of 5 reps at 400lbs., using 375 and 345 in the previous sets.

I've been using my homemade DARD for my shins and like it alot. I've worked up to 8 reps with 20lbs.

I did mansfield lifts using my thickbar and did 5 reps at 125, 150, and 175. The 175 took all I had and felt weird as my abs almost buckled over as if I was convulsing.

I've been working on switching rafters. No luck as of yet, I'm thinking of installing a board to grab inbetween rafters to help me make an easier transition.

I redesigned my homemade formulator. Works better than ever, but still hurts like hell.

I floor pressed 240lbs. on my thickbar. I think that's pretty good because I can't remember the last time I benched on a barbell.

I've still been working my neck and core as much as ever.

01-10-05

I did my first leverage workout with my 12lbs. hammer and it's a beast. I did hammer curls for the front, weaver stick lifts for the rear, and twist for the side to side. I did them in that order, with plate pinching afterwards, in a circuit. I'm trying to pinch 2 25s with working gloves on. Partly because it's a great goal, partly because the edge is so sharp on these plates I have little choice. I did 2 sets of 5 negatives on the pinching. I tried to do sets of 5 on the leverage lifts, but as I moved my hand down the handle it turned into 3 or 4. I was suprised I could not rear lever the sledge at the very end, even though I could lever it down to my face overhead. I did get pretty close to the end of the handle by the 3rd set. I had some very strange sensations in my forearms on the last reps of the sets from my wrist being so extended while resisting the weight, nothing injurious, but definately working the tendons.

People are always impressed with how I could lever my 8lbs. hammer. Wait till they see this thing, most people couldn't hold it straight unless their fist was butted against the head.

Nice work buddy. I got a 14 pounder and its a beast. Definitely fun to mess around with though and a much different feeling then the 8 pounder I had. Keep us posted on your progress for 2006

01-15-05

I did sumo deadlifts standing on top of some thick 35s for something different. They were tough. I did two working sets of 5 reps at 315, and 325. I knew another set would have been too much, and I was right. I did neck work after that, holding myself in position for the sides, back and front. Nothing much, but a short, hard workout after a long day of painting.

01-17-05

Upper Body

Quick workout after dinner. Nothing fancy, these are the kinds of workouts you try to talk yourself out of, thinking they aren't worth it, but I can definately say maintaining your consistancy is far more important than how "good" the workout may or may not be.

I brought out the fabled cable set. I did a set of 12 reps with 2 cables, using cable resisted pushups. I added another cable and did 2 sets of 10, which was tough. I did upright rows, which I hate doing on barbells cause it bothers my wrist, but liked it on the cables. Warmed up with 3 cables, then did 2 sets of 12 with 4. I did 2 sets of 8 side bends with a 60lbs. dumbell; quite low for me and I thought it was kinda bad, but considering in the past I'd do 90 for 3, it doesn't seem to shabby. I did V-ups for reps, which was a warmup set of 10, then 2 more sets of 15. Yeah, 15, I don't cheat, I go up high, and I suck at them. I alternated the V-ups with the push ups and the side bends with the upright rows for a cardio intensive workout.