BenchPress

135x6

185x1

245x0, almost got it but it drifted toward my neck, got it half way

240x1, PR, it was pretty hard

245x0, it just wasn't gonna happen

215x2, PR

225x1

Bench presses went pretty well but it has only gone up 10 pounds in three months. I tried sniffing some amonia but i'm not really sure if it worked, but it did mange to make my eyes water.

CloseGrip PRess

170x6, PR

170x6

170x5

After the workout i did some intense total body stretching.

It was a good workout, hit some PRs and the lifts felt solid, even the ones i didn't get.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• danegarreau

• foggymountainmuscle

• mossman

• texas stoneman

OK, now it is time for a week off from training. I have been hitting the weights hard now for about 3 months solid and it is time for my scheduled week long break. I will take a break from heavy lifting but will probebly still do some grippers and plate pinching.

Here is how i have progressed in the 3 months

Squat:315 to 345

Log Press:155 to 175

Clean:185 to 205

Bench:230 to 240

deadlift:455 to 455 :(

PL Total: 1000 to 1040

Not only have my gym lifts increased but my strongman events have increased. I can now do all the events solid and with good technique. My core strength has skyrocketed and i feel solid as a rock. My grip strength has also gone up in leaps and bounds, and it will only get better. I am very pleased with the last 3 months of training, i pushed myself physically and mentally really hard and it payed off.

I'm sure your deadlift will have increased after your break.

4/24/04

Did lots of manual labor early in the day, wheelbarrow wire cutting and hammering.

Rolling THunder

155x0

135x1

135x1

135x1

135x1

Standing Wrist Roller

100x10, PR

100x10

100x10, extremely hard, had to set it down for a second, really hard to keep from rolling out of my hands

Then i did some armwrestling, felt good, arms felt really worked.

4/24/04

Did lots of manual labor early in the day, wheelbarrow wire cutting and hammering.

Rolling THunder

155x0

135x1

135x1

135x1

135x1

Standing Wrist Roller

100x10, PR

100x10

100x10, extremely hard, had to set it down for a second, really hard to keep from rolling out of my hands

Then i did some armwrestling, felt good, arms felt really worked.

Foggy, yea i'm pretty sure i was just having an off day when i did deadlifts.

4/26/04

Timed Gripper Holds

#2x5 holds, Right Hand:17 to 24 seconds, with one PR of 24.34 seconds

Left Hand: 14 to 18 seconds, with one PR of 18.23

2 3/8'' Dumbbell Holds

70x1, Right Hand:46 seconds

Left Hand: 35 seconds

80x1, Right Hand:20 seconds

Left Hand: 21 seconds

80x1, Right Hand: 32 seconds

Left Hand: 23 seconds

90x1, Right hand: 19 seconds

Left Hand: 8 seconds

2'' Bar Holds

90x1, held it for 2 minutes

It was a good workout. The holds felt good. I am trying to work on my supporting strength alittle more and this was a good start. My hands felt so weak after doing this, i could barely close a #1 with a deep set.

4/29/04

Gripper Timed Holds

#2x3 holds:Right hand ranged from 22-30 seconds, with a PR of 30.41

Left Hand ranged from 14-24 seconds, with a PR of 24.06

Didn't have alot of time to train. The timed holds went well and i am allready seeing some progress.

Dane, just a quick unsolicited tip - I put 20lbs on my deadlift within 2 weeks by simply spending a few workouts doing some power cleans and good mornings. Took my 1RM in the dead from 565 to 585 and I just missed locking out 600.

Clay, thanks for the tip. I think i was just having an off day because my 8 rep max and my 5 rep max in the deadlift had allready gone up alot. I do cleans often, about everyother week. But i haven't ever tried good mornings, because i don't have a power rack.

5/1/04

Rolling Thunder

90x1

155x0

145x1

145x1

135x1

135x1

135x1

125x1

125x1

1 Hand Plate Pinch

50x5

50x3

50x4

2 Hand Rolling Thunder

215x1

215x1

215x1

Dane,

Tell me more about your strongman program, especially your stonelifting! I've never done any and would like to try. Since I live in Atlanta and I'm not too far away from where you are - maybe we can get together on some Saturday and do some of those strongman events like stonelifting. What do ya say?? :)

I can also bring some of my many grip toys for you to try out!! :D

5/3/04

Full deadlift

135x5

225x4

18'' Deadlift

315x1

435x1

485x1, Shoes on, no straps

555x1, PR, ran out of weight, it was pretty cool having the entire bar filled up with weights. This was prettty hard for me, took my shoes off and put some straps on. Since this was my first time ever doing a 18'' deadlift i was pretty happy.

555x0, Tried to do it without straps, but couldn't get it done. But it didn't feel like my grip was the weakness, i just couldn't pull with my back and legs again.

Double over Hand DeadLift from the floor

315x1,PR, just wanted to see if i could do it, felt pretty easy.

Stones

195 onto 55'' platform+220 onto 41'' platform: Did it pretty quickly, didn't use tackey or belt

195 onto 55'' platform+220 onto 41'' platform

195 onto 55'' platform+220 onto 41'' platform: Used some stickum spray

Stone Craddle and Squat

195x2

195x1

195x3

Vertical 1 1/4'' Rope Pullups

175x7

175x6

It was an awesome workout. I made some boxes out of 4x4s for the 18'' deadlift. They seemed to work really well. It was the most amount of weight i have ever lifted in any manor, felt awesome. The stones went well, getting it 55'' was kinda hard because i can't shoulder it yet, but it will come soon. The 220 didn't give me any trouble at all. There is only 6 weeks until my contest and i feel very prepared, and excited. I should have some pictures up soon.

Dan

Great PR on the dead! :bow

For the stones, have you ever tried to practice just the shouldering movement with a light stone to get the feel for it? You can move up in stone weights for shouldering practice after you are comfortable with the movement.

Just my .02

Hey Dane, just so you know, a lift of a box allows you slightly more weight do to the bending of the bar as apposed to a pull from the rack where the bar is already bent. The difference is about 20lbs. Of course you might have known that since you check the Anvil.

First time I did partial deadlifts I pulled up to about 545. Second time I pull out 600lbs. (it had been a while) Keep at it!

5/4/04

OverHead Clean and Press Medly Practice

145x1Thickbar + 155x1 + 165x1Thickbar + 175x1: Did it in 54 seconds, felt pretty good, all of the presses were easy, since i only have 2 bars i had to wait just a second to load the weight on the next bar.

145x1Thickbar + 155x1 + 165x1Thickbar + 175x1: Did this in 51 seconds

145x1Thickbar + 155x1 + 165x1Thickbar + 175x1: My best yet, 45 seconds, really solid

145x1Thickbar + 155x1 + 165x1Thickbar + 175x0: Not sure how long it took me, i was going really fast and i just barely missed the last last press.

Seated Dumbbell Presses

61x6, solid but hard

61x6

61x6, very hard

2'' Bar curls

90x8

90x8

90x8, form got alittle sloppy around the 5th rep

Gripper Strapholds w/ strap

#2 + 5 pounds: held it for 10 seconds with right hand, 9 with the left hand

Grippers

#2 for a couple singles

I fell really ready for my upcoming contest. I feel strong as crap, in a good way. I feel really prepared.

cjcocn, Yea that sounds like a good idea but the lightest stone i have is 195 pounds, and i just can't quite get it shouldered, it is only a matter of time though.

Foggy, yea i knew it was easier off of boxes, but luckily at my contest they will be using boxes. I really like the 18' deadlift, it feels awesome to pull up so much weight.

5/6/04

Squats

285x5, hard but solid

285x5

285x5, very hard, add weight next time

Zercher Squats w/thickbar

230x5,PR, really hurts my forearms

230x2, arm hit theighs and i lost my balance

Sled Pulls

not sure how much it weighed but it was really hard, only did 2 or 3 runs

Gripper Timed Holds

#2x1: PR time of 33.12 with RH, PR time of 27.91 with LH

#2x1: 28 seconds with RH, 22 seconds with LH

Stump Chopping

DId alittle chopping with a 4 pound ax, did some one arm swings and lots of chopping.

Bending

60dx1,PR, yes i finally bent a true 60d, i kinked this nail about a month ago and today i finally finished it of

60dx0, this was a very strong 60d, i'm not really even sure if i kinked this one

4/7/04

BenchPress

200x5

200x5

200x4,bench felt good but i was was just dead after the first four reps

CloseGrip Press

170x6

170x5

170x3

3 Board Press

180x6

180x6

185x6, PR, felt pretty strong on this today

After the workout i went and played some paintball, got lots of cardio, and it should of helped to loosen up my legs because they were really sore today after yesterdays workout.

Your benching has really improved Dane, good work.

Micheal, thanks. Yea i feel alot more compterable with it lately. I think because now i take 2 warmup sets instead of 1. I feel ready to handle the big weights.

4/10/04

Farmers Walk with 1 5/8 handels

190x100':Dropped it once, took 21 seconds

190x100':Dropped it once, took 19 seconds

190x100':Dropped it once, took 23 seconds

190x100':Dropped it once, took 23 seconds

The farmers walk went well today. I actually weighed my implements and they turned out to be 80 pounds instead of 100 pounds, hince why i couldn't just dominate them like the last time when i was using "190" pounds. I wish i hadn't dropped them so much, but i guess it means that i need to work on my grip more.

Stones

Didn't really keep track of the sets or anything. I did wear forearm guards and stickum spray. The stones were tough after doing the farmers walk. I got the 195 stone up to 55'' several times, and got the 220 stone up to 40'' lots also. For some reason i had trouble getting the stones up to my lap. While it wasn't my best stone workout ever i did push my self very hard mentally, after getting pissed because i couldn't do a stone i would pounce on it and throw it up.

All in all a really good wokout. I feel really strong, very ready for my contest, whitch is only 5 weeks away. After i got done with the farmers i couldn't hold anything that weight much more than a remote control, my grip was dead and my forearm kept cramping up.

Dane

Good work on your training, and good luck on your upcoming contest.

I just thought of something that I will ask, even though the answer may be in your earlier posts (I will have to read through it later):

Have you ever tried loading up your FW implements to about 250lbs or so (this is assuming that the contest weight is 190lbs) and walking once with them, then dropping the weight to 190lbs? I ask because if you pick up the 250 and walk, the 190 will seem pretty light after that.

PS ..... if this sounds funny, then simply don't bother doing it as I do not want to mess up your last 5 weeks of training. Maybe this is something that can be experiemented with after the contest to see if it works for you?

Again, Good Training and Good Luck. :mosher

CJ

4/11/04

9'' Homemade Log Clean and Press

155x5, PR, pretty easy

155x5

155x5, this set was done in perfect contest form

155x5, this was was really hard, add weight next time

Ez Bar Curls

95x8, PR

95x8

95x8, form got sloppy near the end

Dumbbell Curls

45x5, heavy as crap

45x5

Before the workout began my forearms were so sore i was wondering if i was even gonna be able to hold onto the log to clean it. But it worked. The log felt really good today and i felt really strong. The curls were really hard on my forearms and grip, but i managed to fight through it. All in all a really good workout, making some good progress on the log.

Cjcon, yea making the events harder than they will actually be is a great idea. My cousin is a very good amateur strongman and he is constantly telling me this.

The farmers at my contest are 185 and the handels are 3/8'' smaller, plus they will be alot more stable than my homemade farmers. So i am kinda allready making it harder by default. If i was able to play with 185 like a toy then i would definately up the weight at least 20 or 30 pounds, but 185 is a good challenge for me so i can't go up too much. Thanks for the idea and contributing.

5/13/04

Squats

290x4, got out of the "groove'' and missed the 5th rep, but i should of had it

290x5, PR

290x5

I completed the reps but they wern't all solid, i also rested alittle too long inbetween sets.

Messed around trying to find out how to do some front squats in the clean position, it didn't work too well. It was easy to do 135, but when i tried 195 i felt really unstable, mabey one day will figure out. I am almost flexible enough to do this but still need to work on it.

Wanted to do the yoke but it was really wet outside.

#1 Gripper StapHold

12.5x1

17x5x1

25x1, PR

27.5x0

Reverse Curl, completely strict

95x0

65x1

75x1, PR

85x0

85x0

After all of this i did some cardio. Ran some sprints and and jogged alittle.

4/14/04

DoubleOver Hand Deadlift

335x1, PR, pretty easy

365x1, PR, very hard

Four Finger Deadlift

185x1, PR

225x1, PR, hard, hurts my fingers

245x1, PR, gutted this one out, it hurt

Two Hand Plate Pinch

90x1

150x0

140x1, hand were kinda spent after doing all the other stuff

142.5x0, broke the ground but couldn't get it up

I was supposed to do my normal bench workout but i was too tired and kinda short of time to put in the proper effort. So i did some cardio in the form of paintball and did the grip stuff.