My Strongman And Grip Training Journal

danegarreau

Ok, i have been watching alot of guys training logs and have decided to start up my own. If anyone has any suggestions or comments please free to add. by the way i am 16 and 170 pounds.

Ok here is where i stand with my training so far.

Grip: Can close the #2 anyday with right and good days with left.

So far i am 1/2 an inch away on the #3.

I can bend a piece of 6x 1/4" steel.

I can barrely break 2 25s off of the ground pinch gripped.

I can do a plate curl with a 25 for one rep with each hand.

I can do about 130 pounds on the rolling thunder.

Strongman/Powerlifting: Deadlift 455

Squat 315

Bench 230

Thickbar PushPress 180

220# stone loaded to 46 inch platform

190 farmers walk for 50' in 11 seconds.

165 Log clean and press.

Ok here are my Goals: Close the #3 by Show of strength 2004. I think it would be really cool to

be certified by a prostrongman or grip guru.

Deadlift 500 pounds by the July 2004.

Log clean and press 190 pounds by my first competition in june

Squat 360 pounds by summertime.

Be able to do 175 on the rolling thunder by the summer.

Wish my the best of luck on my training journy. i have definately learned alot from the gripboard and its various members.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• danegarreau

• foggymountainmuscle

• mossman

• texas stoneman

2/16/04

Warmup.

Deadlift 355x8

355x8 Bump weight next workout

Stones 220 onto 46 inch platform

195 onto 46 inch platform

Cleans 175x3

175x3

175x3 stay with same weight

Wrist Curls 35x20

45X20

45X20

45x20 bump weight next time

It wasn't exactly my best training day but i felt like i made some good progress.

Looks good so far. You have set good goals for yourself. They are within reach yet challenging at the same time. I'd invest a good chunk of time doing some O-lifting as well. Focus on cleans, squat jerks, and various explosive pulls. Being explosive as a strongman competitor can make a huge difference.

Good luck,

Dave

Wow! Makes my training log look pitiful by comparison. :whistel

Keep up the great work!

David, thanks for the response. Right now the only olympic lifting i do is cleans. I do feel that they are a very good exercise. I haven't got into the others as of yet. What exactly is a squat jerk?

Luckily my cousin Travis Ortmayer has taught me alot about lifting weights and strongman over the last couple of years. He first introduced me to strongman a couple of years ago when i was visiting him. Ever since then i have been hooked on strongman and grip.I plan on competeting in a couple of contests this year and will let everyone know of my progress.

I believe the squat jerk is the style of catching the jerk that is not splitting your legs. (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.) Your push up, and dive back down, catching it with your legs a little above parallel. I believe this style to be much harder but that can easily vary from person to person.

I think one handed snatches would be a good edition to strongman training if you like Olympic lifting.

If you start to do the two handed snatch, concentrate on form, but even for both Olympic lifts, be sure that your left and right sides pull in a symmetric fashion. Shoulder flexabliity may limit your snatching ability at first as well. It is a difficult lift.

dane,

Foggymountainmuscle's description of the squat jerk is right on. It carries over to strongman well if you practice it without dropping into a full squat to catch the implement. Instead, only go about 1/3 to 1/2 way down on the squat. The benefit of these is that in a contest where there is a pressing event for max reps your feet will already be parallel at lockout and you will get quicker down signals.

BTW-Your cousin Travis is an excellent strongman and a good resource. I have competed against him twice. Very good in the atlas stones.

2/17/04

Warmup

Thickbar Pushpress 150x7

150x7

150x6 stay with same weight next week. shoot for 8 reps.

Seated Dumbell Press 51x8

51x8

51x8

Ez Bar Curl 80x10

80x10

80x10

Dumbell Curls 36x8

36x8

36x8

#2 Grippers: 2 closes with right hand, 2 almosts with left

1 overcrush with right hand for about 10 seconds

My grip was kinda fried from the thickbar and from curls, so i will have to make up for it on thursday.

David, when i went to the strongman nationals with travis this past year i remember seeing alot of the smaller guys using the squat jerk style on the viking press, whitch it helped them out alot. Mabey i will have to give it a shot. BTW if i remember correctly you wern't so bad yourself at the stones. I think you went at them from the side, seemed to work pretty well for you.

Today is gonna be a rest day for me. but when i get home from school i am gonna dip my hands in my moms parrafin wax machine to try and aid in recovery.

WEight in am: 166

Overall Feel: i felt pretty good today, but think i need to start eating alittle more protien.

Warmup

Squats 245x8

245x8

245x8 Barely got all these, stick wit the same weight next workout

Sled Pulls 240x100'

240x100'

Gripper Warmup

#2 : 1 close each hand

#3: 2 attemps per hand, closest attemp was 3/8 off. This is a pr for me.

#3: 3 negatives each hand, really hard to hold closed for more than a second

#2: 2 closes each hand

#1: 20 tiny reps each hand for 2 sets

PLate curls 25x3

25x3

25x3

25x3

25x3

Overall it was a very good workout, the weights on squats may not look like much but they took alot for me to get. I was also pleased with my progress on the #3. Hopefully i am a step closer to reaching my goal.

2/21/04

Warmup

Bench: 170x7

170x6

170x6 Keep the weight the same next workout. This is way off from where i usually am. I was really tired.

Incline: 140x7

140x6

140x6

Closegrip: 140x8

140x7

140x6

Did some armwrestling with my workout partner. trying to get the technique down. But i definately got a good workout in my hand and forearm.

This was a pretty crappy workout for me. I had to play an organized full court basketball game that morning so i was tired the rest of the day. O wel.

Nice work and good luck on the #3! Are you actually training the Rolling Thunder? I saw that you had listed 175 as a goal. That's a very good RT, especially if you don't even WEIGH that much. I'll be interested in seeing your progress on that.

Are you training any of the modern strongman events truck pulling, stones, tire, etc........

Ben, i have been training on a homemade rolling thunder in whitch i have gotten 155 pounds on. I just ordered a real rolling thunder last week and it should be here on tuesday. I'm not too sure on hkow much they will be alike though. hopefully the same or easier. I'll be sure to chart my progress.

Matt, yes i am training the strongman events. The only ones i train right now are logpresss, stones, farmers, sled, thickbar press, and keg press.

If you look back a few days you can see my stone workout and I will be doing the farmers walk monday pending it doesn't rain.

2/22/04

Felt alittle tired today but wanted to go ahead and do a gripper workout.

Warmup

#2- 2 closes each hand

#3-2 negitives

#2-2 closes

#2-strapholds with 1/2'' wood block @ 10 pounds, about 15 seconds right hand, about 1 second with left hand

#2-2 closes

I can now say that i can completely dominate the #2, but am still pushing foreward for the #3. I did the strapholds because 1/2-1/4'' is about where my sticking pount is for the #3.

Note: could of probebly done alittle more volume, but wanted to save my hands for tomarrows farmers walks.

2/23/04

Weighed 170 on the dot this morning

Warm up

Note:the famer walk implements i am using are homemade with 1.6'' handles. They were made with 2 6x6s.

Farmers @ 190 pounds each: 100' with 1 drop-23.87

100' with 2 drops-27.06

Hold for 28.64

I felt pretty strong on these farmers. It was only the second time i tried this weight and even though i droped it a couple times, i now feel very compterable with the weight. I will hopefully have contest coming up in june that has 185 farmers for 100' so i will be working with this weight and distance to get ready for it.

Cleans: 175x3

175x3

175x3

Pulldowns: 120x8

120x8

120x8

Crunches: 3 sets of 15

This was a good workout for me. IT was just what i needed. After a crappy workout friday, this workout really helped me gain some of my confidence back.

2/24/04

Weighed 170 in the morning time.

Warmup

9'' log-140x8

140x8

140x8 This weight a few weeks would of stoped me at about 5 reps. But with practice my logpress is getting alot better. Hopfully soon it will be at the same level as my barbell push press.

Side Laterials-25x8

25x8

25x8

curls- 80x10

80x10

80x10

Dumbbell curls- 35x8

35x8

35x8

This was a good workout. I felt very strong on the logpress. But my forearms and hands are sore as crap from the farmers walk yestersday.

2/25/04

I got my new rolling thunder in the mail today. It is just alittle bit harder than my homemade one. I could get 150 on my homemade one, but could only get 140 right handed and 135 left handed with the real rolling thunder.

Any other teens out there who use the rolling thunder? I'd be interested to see what your numbers are on it.

2/26/04

Warmup

Squats:250x8

250x8

250x8 felt very solid, got every rep forcefully. Add weight next time.

Donkey Calf Raises:180 pounds(workout partner)x20

180x20

180x20

Standing wrist curls(Brookfields new tip):120x10

120x10

120x10 All done on a 2 inch bar. IT felt very good, i think i willl include it from now on.

Plate curls: 25x4

25x4

25x4

THis was a very good workout. I pushed it to the brink on the squats and have made some good progress on plate curls.

Well i wasn't satisified with my grip training todays so i decided to give some pinching a try. I did a few sets on a block of wood, but then i decided to try 2 25s that have been eluding me for quite some time. I have been able to get them about 2 inches in the past. Well i chalked up griped them and pulled them right up to a full deadlift, with both hands!! Needless to say i am pretty happy about it.

Was the two 25's just one hand or did you do 2 in each? Either way, pretty cool. I'm going to have to have a go at 2 25's next workout.

I reccomend if you haven't, to train your pinch at a very small width. Killer on the muscles in the palm and the smaller weights will not leave you satisfied.