My Strongman And Grip Training Journal

danegarreau

3/29/04

Warmup

Homemade Farmers with 1 5/8'' handle

190x100' in 15 seconds:felt really easy, went pretty fast, no drops.

190x100' in 15 seconds:felt faster, no drops

190x100' in 13 seconds:felt even faster, no drops

240x30' at a slow pace:felt pretty heavy, dropped it once

190x100'in 13 seconds:felt good, no drops

Note to self: pick your feet up, its not that heavy. Don't be afraid to go fast.

Cleans

135x2 o so easy

195x1 PR, felt good

200x0 almost had it, couldn't quite get under it

200x1 PR, yes finally broke 200 barrier

200x2 PR, felt alittle cocky

An awesome workout, felt really good. Cleans went well, form is getting alot better. Couldn't grip anything about 10 minutes later, kept cramping up.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• danegarreau

• foggymountainmuscle

• mossman

• texas stoneman

Dane, can your jerk/lockout match your clean?

Breaking barriers always feels great, I just recently broke mine in the clean & jerk. I've noticed I usually break my PRs after I've back off for a while.

Foggy, no my lockout isn't quite up to par with my clean. But its not too far away. My best push press is 180, best clean is now 200, but i would estimate i could lockout 190 now.

I'd rather it be this way, i would hate to be able to preess more than i could clean.

3/30/04

Warmup

2'' Thickbar clean and press

150x8 PR felt pretty good.

150x8 alittle harder this time

150x7 crap, missed the 8th rep

Seated Dumbbell Press

58x6 felt solid

58x6

58x6 up weight next time

EZ Bar Curls

90x8 pretty strict

90x8 felt good

90x8 felt good, last rep semi hard, up weight next time

Dumbbell Curls

36x8

36x8

36x8 felt good, up weight next time

Hey Dane, how far do you dip on your cleans? Is your thick bar technique different from your normal bar technique? I haven't gotten to take a swing at a non revolving bar. I'm curious because I plan to shame my competition when it comes to cleans and presses.

:flame

Thick bar Snatctes and C & J are awsome aren't they? It's just cool to have something you can barely lift off the ground go right over your head.

Foggy, i usually dip to about a half or quarter squat, not a whole lot but i am gradually getting better at dipping under it. And my thickbar and regular bar technique is about the same, but i think my regular bar technique is alot better than my thickbar.

Thick bar Snatctes and C & J are awsome aren't they? It's just cool to have something you can barely lift off the ground go right over your head.

That sounds fun! What is the usual difference between one's deadlift and those overhead lifts, once you get the form down?

I would like to think I have the form down, I would say the answer to your question is maybe 20lbs. Then again my overhead is very good and my grip isn't as good as Dane's.

welll personally i have done a very easy 250 double overhand deadlift on my 2'' bar. I think if i really put some effort into it i could get 275 or so. I have done 180 pounds on the pushpress with the same bar, and cleaned 190 on it.

4/1/04 Weight in am:171

Warmup

Squats

255x8 hard but got them all

255x8

255x8 last two reps were torture, go up next time

HelGarr Stone(Husafell stone)

180x100' PR

180x110' PR

180x3 pickups

The stone is not hard on my legs, just hard to hold with my arms. Felt good though.

Donkey Calf raises

180x20

180x20

180x20

Grippers

#3- 3 attemps, all about 1/4'' off

#2- about 10 or 15 singles

Plate Curls

25x1 for about 10 singles

35x0 did a few swings though

V Bar using 1 5'8'' pvc

135x1

145x1 PR

A good workout, body felt real good. I think it proves my thoery that you can't do heavy deads and heavy squats in the same week. Last week i went real heavy on deads, and couldn't do squats very well. This week i didn't do deads, and my squat went really well.

Edited by danegarreau

4/2/04

Warmup

Benchpress

175x8 Felt almost easy

175x8

180x7 went for broke, and almost got the 8th rep, but it was not ment to be.

Incline

140x8

140x8 last rep kinda sloppy

140x8 last 2 reps sloppy

Closegrip

145x8

145x8

145x8 barely got last rep, but it felt good, add weight next time.

3 Board Press

155x8

155x8

155x8

2 Hand Plate Pinch

90x1

135x1 PR

140x1 PR

145x1 PR barely able to lock it out, a big improvemnt over last time

135x1

120x1, thumbs are now fried

1 Hand Plate Pinch

70x0 almost got the plates to hover

70x0

Plate Hub

25x1, barely even able to do it after the plate pinches

Dane, I would do heavy deads and heavy squats in the same workout, cause I like to do the entire lower body in one workout. I think your observation is valid, but I'll probably do heavy deads and squats in the same week, just not the same workout. My last lower body workout was so dissapointing, I feel the need for a change.

If you've ever done heavy zercher squats, you would find no additional lower back work to be necessary.

Forgot to mention...

Man I didn't realize your overhead press was better than mine! That's crazy! Keep up the good work.

Ian, thanks.

Foggy, yea alot of people do deads and squats in the same workout, but i don't think thats for me. After a squat or deadlift workout i'm dead, and i can barely go on to do my assistance work. I think from now on i will just be aware of how hard i worked in an earlyier workout and not try to push it past the brink the next workout.

btw, my overhead press does involve alot of leg movement, but not too much, just a "pushpress".

Ok here is where i stand with my training so far.

Grip: Can close the #2 anyday with right and good days with left.

So far i am 1/2 an inch away on the #3.

I can bend a piece of 6x 1/4" steel.

I can barrely break 2 25s off of the ground pinch gripped.

I can do a plate curl with a 25 for one rep with each hand.

I can do about 130 pounds on the rolling thunder.

Strongman/Powerlifting: Deadlift 455

Squat 315

Bench 230

Thickbar PushPress 180

220# stone loaded to 46 inch platform

190 farmers walk for 50' in 11 seconds.

165 Log clean and press.

Ok here are my Goals: Close the #3 by Show of strength 2004. I think it would be really cool to

be certified by a prostrongman or grip guru.

Deadlift 500 pounds by the July 2004.

Log clean and press 190 pounds by my first competition in june

Squat 360 pounds by summertime.

Be able to do 175 on the rolling thunder by the summer.

The stuff you said about the gripping, pinching and rolling thunder, I can do that too... but then you blow me AWAY with the squat, deadlift and bench! I can bench like 150, deadlift 300 and sqaut 225. YIKES :bow

hey dane,

about the comps in georga, there was too many comps in the mag to go through them all. BUT you can go to www.deepsquatter.com and click on the comming events link then ask them about coming events. They will be able to answer you with at least the state rep's e-mail.

Brett, keep in mind i have been doing the powerlifts for a solid 2 years. You have good numbers, keep up the hard work and the big numbers will follow.

Fedaykin, thanks for the info.

Just got back from 4 days of spring break at panama city..aka..sleeping late and eating good food, and taking a break from heavy lifting. But i did manage to fit in alittle grip training.

4/4/04

Grippers

#3-3 attemps, closest was 1/4 away

#2-about 10 singles

#1- a couple of no set closes

Walking

Yes, walking in the sand. It doesn't sound very taxing but taking long walks in the sand will really work the calves.

Note to self: try something new with the grippers, either strapholds or negitives. I think my progress has sorta stalled and i need something new.

I could sure go for a calf workout like that!

I think my gripper progress is staying the same too, I'm thinking of filing down my #1, cause if anything, my numbers on the 2 are falling. I just can't seem to get the last 1/8 with my left.

Walking in sand dunes will turn your toes into talons.

4/7/04

Bending: nails from bursen feed and seed

40dx5 these were pretty easy but my hands and wrists and elbows felt very worked.All nails were bent to with 1 1/4''. I need to find some easy 60ds to try.

Leverage Bar with 10 pounds

did a few front and rear levers

Brick Lift

4bricksx1

5bricksx1 pretty hard

6bricksx1 very hard, barely got it. I like this lift, i will try to do it more often.

Leverage Bar with 15 pounds

did a few front and rear levers, it was hard but it felt good.

Axe

did a bunch of rear and front levers and tosses. Then chopped on an old stump. Then did some one arm chops on the stump. Hand and forearms felt really worked after these, very functional. I should do it more often.

Was the brick lifts with your arms and chest or did you pick them up in a stack with one hand?