• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• danegarreau

• foggymountainmuscle

• mossman

• texas stoneman

I'm quite impressed with your 25lbs. plate curls. I failed to accomplish this, even though I could do 2 5KG. plates. I broke 2 25s off the ground with my right (blink and you'd miss it). You might want to try what I did, hold on to two 25s with two hands and reduce the number of fingers. I think this will help me.

I've only done a 255lbs. one handed deadlift with a normal grip, can't tell you a rolling thunder poundage.

2/28/04

Warmup

Bench:170x8

170x7

170x7 Why can't i progress? My bench has sucked for a couple of workouts now, i'm sure it will pass

Incline:140x8

140x7

140x6 Sucked

closegrip: 140x8

140x8

140x8 hard as crap

3 Board Press: 155x6

155x6

155x6

My bench workouts have sucked for a while now. I am switching over to a 5x5 routine so mabey i can get out of this slump.

Any particular phase of the benchpress you have trouble with? Start, lockout, middle? Do you feel there is a weak link: arms, chest, or shoulders?

I'm pretty sure my weak link is my chest. I have always been lagging in my bench. Possibly becuase of my freaking long arms, hince my nice deadlifting ability.

My workout partner keeps telling me to do flyes. Whatcha think?

3/1/04

Warmup

Deadlift:385x5

385x5

385x3 I was dead on this last set. Just getting the first rep was a miricle.

Shrugs:245x6

245x6

245x6

Pullups:170x6

170x6

1770x6

A pretty good workout. even though my legs were still really sore due to some tackle football on the beach.

Then i played around trying to pinch some plates. I got 2 25s and passed them around my back a few times. Felt cocky and tried 2 35s, but somebody bolted them down when i wasn't looking!! Mabey someday. I got a picture and will try to put it in my gallery soon.

I personally feel that I have never gained anything from doing chest flies.

Do you do added weight dips? I'm talking about over a hundred pounds, not even 8 reps. I reccomend this because for benching much of the effort has to be on the lower pectorals if any big weight is to be used.

Do you do thick bar benches? I can't remember last time I did them with a normal bar.

Do you ever try pressing two plates together with your hands, using your chest pressure to hold them together? You could do deadlifts, presses, curls, and rows like this. Add a folded towel inbetween to get multiple widths. I would focus on this more than bench, this is the chest strength strongmen need.

How wide is your grip? I think a lot of people grip too wide trying to use their chest more when in actuallity they are limiting their long term and immeadiate total poundage.

I'm quite and oddity I think. My bench is definately a weak point compared to my other lifts, but my incline, close grip, dip, and chest crushing power are far greater (relative to my size and other lifts) than anyone I have encountered. Don't fuss over the bench, it's not a strongman lift and not the "huge" upper body lift people make it out to be. It's a middle body lift really, you gain so much power from your legs, back, hips, and lats the chest only appears to be doing all the work. My opinion, I know some powerlifters think different of the bench.

I used to do dips with some added weight, but ditched it and put in 3 board presses.

I have never tried using a thick bar for benching, how does it feel?

I put my pinky finger on the ring on normal bench presses. It feels like a good distance for me.

I'm not worried about it to much but i would like to get the poundages up alittle.

3/2/04

Warmup

Thickbar Clean and Press

155x5

155x5

155x5 Really solid, add weight next time.

Seated Dumbbell Press

58x6

58x6

58x6

Ez-Bar Curls

85x8

85x8

85x8 Add weight next time

Dumbell Curls

36x8

36x8

36x8

Plate curls

25x5

25x4

28x1

28x1 Wow, who would of though 3 pounds could make such a difference. I added the weight with a c clamp

And to top off the workout i successfully bent a piece of 6x1/4 steel from home depot.

It was a really good workout even though i was sore from yesterdays workout.

Thick bar benches feel like you're pressing a log or boulder off your chest. Squeez hard to protect your wrist. They can be hard on the wrist, I don't want to advise you go all out on them at first. Keep your wrist limber, lay off it they feel like a cement mixer. Ease into it, I'm trying to workup to being able to handle every arm movement thick bar. I'm a fan of thick grip pullups myself. Thick bar benches will force you into pressing "in the groove". I think proper thick bar bench establishes great form. I'd back of about 20-40lbs. from your normal poundage when you do them.

Your grip width on the bench sounds fine. When benching, try looking up and behind, not up. It will alline your back better.

Micheal, thanks for the tips. I will have to try them.

3/3/04

Warmup

#2x1

#2x1

#2x5

#2x1

#2x1

#2x1

#2x1

#3x1 attempt, 1/2''

#3x1 negative

#1x1 no set

#1x1 no set

#1x1 no set

#1x1 no set

A pretty good gripper workout. But the #3 is proving to be a pest. Hopefully i wil progress alittle faster.

3/4/04

I will go ahead and tell everyone that this workout sucked. I was really off today. Not quite sure what it was. I cut it short, figured my body was trying to tell me something.

Squats

280x2 rest 275x2 rest 275x1 Well this kinda set the tone.

265x5

265x2 This felt like a ton of weight. I have handled this poundage for 6 reps before but today it was not to be.

I cut the leg workout short.

SO i decided to do some grip stuff

Warmup

1'' phone book tear. Pretty easy.

Rolling thunder

125x1

125x1

125x1

125x1

135x1

135x1

Homemade Ironmind Hub

35x1

35x1

35x1

40x1

40x1 PR

Homemade Wrist leverer

10x1

10x1

10x1

10x1

10x1

10x1 Too easy, add weight.

Cooldown with dexterity balls.

The leg workout sucked but the gripwork out was pretty good.

If anyone wants to see some of my pictures they are in the gallery.

3/5/04

Warmup

Bench

180x5 Holy crap this was easy, add some weight.

185x5

185x5 YEs, finally a good workout on bench

Incline

145x6

145x6

145x6 Another improvment

CLosegrip

155x6

155x6

155x6 These were hard but i got'em

3 Board Press

175x6

175x5 No way am i going to let this set ruin my perfect workout.

175x6

Crunches

Wow this was the first good bench workout in a while, and it felt goood. Hopefully i can put together a string of these.

3/7/04

Warmup-chinese health balls

#3-5/16s away

#3-1/4 away, pr

#3-1/4 away

#3-3/8s away

#2-4 reps

#2-6 reps

#1-6 no set closes

#1-9 no set closes

#2-1 rep

Cooldown with chinese health balls.

I have made some good progress with the #3, I am still a ways from closing it but hopefully i can put it away pretty soon.

3/8/04

Warmup

Deadlift

385x5

385x5

385x4 Crap, wanted to get 5 but this is a 1 rep improvment over last week.

Pullups

175x6

175x6

175x6 Last two reps were kinda slopy.

Cleans

185x1

185x1 My wrist has been hurting for the last couple of days so i decided to stop.

2'' Bar DoubleOverHand Deadlifts

250x1

250x1 Really easy just wanted to play around for a bit

Plate Hub

25x1

25x1 Really hard, but an improvment considering last week i couldn't do it.

2 3/8'' Dumbbell Deadlifts

120x1 PR

90x1 For about 25 singles. This was torture.

3/09/04

Warmup

9'' Log clean and Press

148x5

148x5

148x5 Add weight next time.

Side laterials

25x8

25x8

25x8

Ez Bar Curls

90x8

90x8

90x8 Keep weight the same. Barely got the last 2 reps

Dumbbell Curls

35x8

35x8

35x8 Every rep was super strict

Plate Pinch:2 25s

50x 3 reps each hand

50x6 reps each hand

50x12 reps each hand

50x2 reps each hand

Hub Pinch

25x1

25x1

A very good workout.

Ok i have some new Goals. There is a strongman competiton coming up on June 12th that i plan on competing in. I am not planning on trying to win, just having fun, but i do plan to do very well. Here are the events and weights.

I will be competing in the teen lightweight division(185 and under)

1. CLEAN AND PRESS MEDLEY. Clean & Press four implements as described below within 60 seconds. The fastest time wins. This event will be scored similar to Atlas stones. Implements may not be deliberately dropped. Chalk allowed. Neoprene Rehband type elbow sleeves allowed.

Overhead Press Medley

barbell - 145

barbell - 155

barbell - 165

log - 175

2. FARMER’S WALK. Carry a steel cylinder with 1 ¼ ” handles of specified weight in each hand 100 total feet with no turns in fastest possible time. 60 second time limit. Cylinders may be dropped and picked back up once. On the second drop a distance measurement will be taken. Chalk only.

185 lbs per hand

3. 18" MAX DEADLIFT. Deadlift a barbell from 18". Three attempts. Most weight wins. Wessels Rule in effect. Chalk, straps and squat suits allowed. No Sumo. No dropping of bar.

4. BROWN'S MEDLEY. Take the Conan's wheel one turn, followed by flipping a tire for a specified number of flips, followed by a super yoke carry for 50 feet. The fastest time wins. Measurements will be taken on portions of the medley not finished. Multiple set downs permitted on wheel and yoke. No tacky.

Conan's Wheel - 375 lbs

Tire Flip - 550 lbs 1 flip

Super Yoke - 375 lbs

5. ATLAS STONES. Load a set number of spherical stones of specified weights onto five platforms as described below; stones will initially be placed at the base of each platform. 75 second time limit. The fastest overall time wins. Tacky permitted. Stones must be loaded from lightest to heaviest and remain on the platforms. Arm sleeves or tape allowed on arms if desired.

175 stone to 56" platform

185 stone to 52" platform

210 stone to 48" platform

235 stone to 40" barrel

I think this contest is a good one for me. I think it will be a big learning experience. Hopefully i will do well. wish me the best of luck.

From now on all of my training will be for this contest

That contest sounds awsome! Very intense from the looks of it, best of luck.

I need to get ready for the Central American Strongman Challenge, I didn't get to compete in it last year, but if the weights are anywhere near as heavy as they were last year, I need to do more than I can now. Other competitions I hope to enter have weights I think I can do now... except for this one 270lbs. Atlas stone...

3/11/04

Warmup

Squats

265x5

265x5

265x5 all the reps were hard but i got them. A big improvment over last weeks horrible squat workout.

2'' Bar Bottom Position Squats about 6 inches from Lockout

250x1 walked around with it, walked in place

300x1 walked back and forth with it

300x1 walked back and forth with it, walked in place

Trying to simulate the yoke for my upcoming contest. Felt pretty good, add weight next time.

Donkey Calf Raises

180x20

180x20

180x20

Grippers

#3-1/4 away

#3-1/4 away

#3-3/8 away THey all felt good, one step closer to the goal of closing the #3.

#2x1 overcrush, held it for about 10 seconds

#3x1 negitive, hard as crap to hold closed, only manged about 2 seconds closed.

#3x1 negitive, same result

#2x1 overcrush

#1x6 no set closes.

Cooled down with dexterity balls

opps, forgot to add my plate curl workout.

25+3x2 pretty easy

25+3x2

25+3.5x1 PR

25+3.5x1

35x1 2 handed, way too easy

45x1 2 handed, still too easy.

3/12/04

Warmup

Bench Press

190x5

190x5

190x4 Felt really good, stay with the same weight.

Incline Press

150x6

150x6

150x4 Chest and tris just gave out.

Close Grip Press

155x6

155x6

155x6 FElt really good.

3 Board Press

175x5

175x6

175x6

Bending

6x1/4'' HRS- 1 bend, belted like butter, used to take me 5 minutes to bend 2 weeks ago

Timber Tie- 1 bend, o it was so easy

Old Nasty 60d- 1 attempt, got it kinked prett good, but couldn't finish it off.

Well i'm not sure what to think about Ironminds new rule. I was getting pretty close to closing my #3 until this came along. Now i can't even close my #2 wit the new rule. My hands are 7 1/2 inches so it makes it hard to get a good grip. I'm not sure if this is my main grip goal anymore, it seems like ironmind snatched the rug out from under my feet.