Questionable Claims

John McCarter

49 minutes ago, Cannon said:

@thestandingman I feel we are off to a bad start here. :(  There is something very wrong about your ruler.

@thestandingman Sorry, seems I was off on the wrong foot actually. I understand the ruler now. I will get more coffee with a side of crow to eat. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jared P said:

@thestandingman Do you plan on posting a video soon?

I bought a digital caliper, waiting for it to arrive, probably this or next week, two days ago i did volume training session that i also recorded to prepare my cns to close the best way i can.

8 hours ago, thestandingman said:

I bought a digital caliper, waiting for it to arrive, probably this or next week, two days ago i did volume training session that i also recorded to prepare my cns to close the best way i can.

Be sure to also buy the batteries or we should wait another week or two...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

Be sure to also buy the batteries or we should wait another week or two...

hes putting in the effort, you need to calm down lmao. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TrenGrip said:

We're giving him an honest chance but you joined here after the pasta man chronicles, so people just tend to get worked up when we see parallels to that, which in that case it was just excuse after excuse of why proving something was real couldn't be done, so with anyone else that will only be put up with for so long now

I personally don't feel like a 17 year that only train on a few random Chinese grippers just casually tries to rep a 3.5 from CCS for no reason while claiming they never had any intention of certifying, while hiding the spring in videos, then of course when questioned it takes forever to get anything done, then when it is it's sketchy as well. If this kid was legit he would have already certified on the 3, there's really no other reason to train grippers with a credit card other than to prepare for certs, not just to dump a random 3.5 ccs video on YouTube and have it be forgotten about until a year later when people started to take a close look at it. Next we will probably see a 12 year old CCS a coc 4 on YouTube and then just claim they were doing it for fun

If he's actually that strong just cert the 3 for a start, it should be easy if you can ccs any 3.5, I would rather see that than another bad angle bad lighting video of an already questionable gripper with a black spring

Edited by C8Myotome

1 hour ago, C8Myotome said:

We're giving him an honest chance but you joined here after the pasta man chronicles, so people just tend to get worked up when we see parallels to that, which in that case it was just excuse after excuse of why proving something was real couldn't be done, so with anyone else that will only be put up with for so long now

I personally don't feel like a 17 year that only train on a few random Chinese grippers just casually tries to rep a 3.5 from CCS for no reason while claiming they never had any intention of certifying, while hiding the spring in videos, then of course when questioned it takes forever to get anything done, then when it is it's sketchy as well. If this kid was legit he would have already certified on the 3, there's really no other reason to train grippers with a credit card other than to prepare for certs, not just to dump a random 3.5 ccs video on YouTube and have it be forgotten about until a year later when people started to take a close look at it. Next we will probably see a 12 year old CCS a coc 4 on YouTube and then just claim they were doing it for fun

If he's actually that strong just cert the 3 for a start, it should be easy if you can ccs any 3.5, I would rather see that than another bad angle bad lighting video of an already questionable gripper with a black spring

that's true, i was around for pasta man chronicles just over on discord and not very active on here. I've known standing man for a bit now through discord and so IMO hes legit. He was one of the first ppl to help me with grippers, I literally had no idea how to even set a gripper up until a couple months ago. And ive been able to see his workouts and progress being made through the past couple of months that ive known him. Personally I train CCS too but not to cert but to simply get better at CCS. Its the same as powerlifters and bodybuilders who train for years to never compete. If I wanted to I could've certed for the 3 a long time ago but i have my reasons for not having certed the #3. TheStandingMan has also put in a lot more effort to prove hes not a fake than pasta boi ever did. I understand gripboard has been patient with him but hes doing his best, even going and buying equipment that ofc is going to take time to arrive. 

Just chiming in to mention that I was absolutely sure the pasta man was a fraud in Nov of 2022, this isn't helpful here but I just want to brag about it

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

6 hours ago, TrenGrip said:

Shhht kid. 

5 hours ago, TrenGrip said:

that's true, i was around for pasta man chronicles just over on discord and not very active on here. I've known standing man for a bit now through discord and so IMO hes legit. He was one of the first ppl to help me with grippers, I literally had no idea how to even set a gripper up until a couple months ago. And ive been able to see his workouts and progress being made through the past couple of months that ive known him. Personally I train CCS too but not to cert but to simply get better at CCS. Its the same as powerlifters and bodybuilders who train for years to never compete. If I wanted to I could've certed for the 3 a long time ago but i have my reasons for not having certed the #3. TheStandingMan has also put in a lot more effort to prove hes not a fake than pasta boi ever did. I understand gripboard has been patient with him but hes doing his best, even going and buying equipment that ofc is going to take time to arrive. 

Yeah, but you also proved your claims within literal minutes of me asking, with multiple videos. Without any hesistation or excuses.

TheStandingMan posted his CCS video 1 year and 3 months ago now, back in January of 2023. Replicating that close now, over a year later, should be extremely easy and take him 5 minutes total to record and post. Instead, he's been stalling for weeks, and every time he gets asked, he lists another excuse of why he can't post the video yet.

I'm not saying he's a fraud - I think we're all trying to give him a chance a fair chance to prove himself, and he could very well be legit, with rare strength and speed of progress, especially for his age. But the alarm bells start going off when people start making excuses, and days turn into weeks, and weeks turn into months.

Because it's been over a year already, we don't even really have a way of knowing whether his initial video was legit, especially if his strength has since improved and he can CCS a 3.5 now, over a year later. Part of the original suspicion surrounded his progression from (CoC 3-level) 300 lb Chinese gripper deep set to CoC 3.5 CCS in 9 months. Not impossible, but not a progression rate you ever really see or hear about.

I suppose he could have a 300 lb Chinese gripper rated in the upper 150s, and a CoC 3.5 that is rated close to 160 - which might be a logical explanation of the progress rate. Perhaps he has an extremely low rated 3.5, down in the 150s in RGC.

According to Heaviest Closes List Data, there are roughly 25 people who have ever CCSed a CoC 3.5 on video, or an equivalent gripper - and most of these people trained for many years. People like Chez, who trained like an animal to get his 3.5 CCS. And this kid comes along and nonchalantly does it with ease, as a side hobby in his bedroom and goes, "what's the big deal? I just close grippers for fun. I don't even like grippers and don't want any certifications."

It's just unlikely - but maybe he's legit and is an Ivan Cuk-level freak of nature. That would be cool.

I hope he proves us wrong!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Jared P said:

Yeah, but you also proved your claims within literal minutes of me asking, with multiple videos. Without any hesistation or excuses.

TheStandingMan posted his CCS video 1 year and 3 months ago now, back in January of 2023. Replicating that close now, over a year later, should be extremely easy and take him 5 minutes total to record and post. Instead, he's been stalling for weeks, and every time he gets asked, he lists another excuse of why he can't post the video yet.

I'm not saying he's a fraud - I think we're all trying to give him a chance a fair chance to prove himself, and he could very well be legit, with rare strength and speed of progress, especially for his age. But the alarm bells start going off when people start making excuses, and days turn into weeks, and weeks turn into months.

Because it's been over a year already, we don't even really have a way of knowing whether his initial video was legit, especially if his strength has since improved and he can CCS a 3.5 now, over a year later. Part of the original suspicion surrounded his progression from (CoC 3-level) 300 lb Chinese gripper deep set to CoC 3.5 CCS in 9 months. Not impossible, but not a progression rate you ever really see or hear about.

I suppose he could have a 300 lb Chinese gripper rated in the upper 150s, and a CoC 3.5 that is rated close to 160 - which might be a logical explanation of the progress rate. Perhaps he has an extremely low rated 3.5, down in the 150s in RGC.

According to Heaviest Closes List Data, there are roughly 25 people who have ever CCSed a CoC 3.5 on video, or an equivalent gripper - and most of these people trained for many years. People like Chez, who trained like an animal to get his 3.5 CCS. And this kid comes along and nonchalantly does it with ease, as a side hobby in his bedroom and goes, "what's the big deal? I just close grippers for fun. I don't even like grippers and don't want any certifications."

It's just unlikely - but maybe he's legit and is an Ivan Cuk-level freak of nature. That would be cool.

I hope he proves us wrong!

After seeing the last 10 thread data for 3.5, there is a really good chance if it was purchased around 2020-2022 he got a corona 3.5 which could be easily around 160, but I still agree all the other stuff doesn't add up, or it would be very strange if it did. Welp I'm gonna go quadruple flip a dirt bike, but I have no intention of ever competiting at it, it's just for funsies.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 8:59 AM, C8Myotome said:

After seeing the last 10 thread data for 3.5, there is a really good chance if it was purchased around 2020-2022 he got a corona 3.5 which could be easily around 160

This is true. I have a 160 rgc CoC 3.5 that I purchased from Amazon back in January 2022 (before I found out about CPW). I purchased one of each of the CoC grippers on Amazon initially, Guide through No. 4, all of which I sent in for rate and return to Matt.

Screenshot2024-03-28at12_23_04PM.thumb.png.a37ee60d93de0f127fe49eaaf82bd3f3.pngScreenshot2024-03-28at12_19_48PM.thumb.jpg.5809e96ab9e60cc92ac97e5b51e03493.jpgIMG_6482.thumb.jpeg.9ab0acc3e101aeb65d269cdbc2cb2b9e.jpegIMG_6487.thumb.jpeg.34d7d9f1f5d34328ef22eea806109238.jpegIMG_6486.thumb.jpeg.82c3c458a4572cded58ffc64a135400c.jpeg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Jared P said:

This is true. I have a 160 rgc CoC 3.5 that I purchased from Amazon back in January 2022 (before I found out about CPW). I purchased one of each of the CoC grippers on Amazon initially, Guide through No. 4, all of which I sent in for rate and return to Matt.

Screenshot2024-03-28at12_23_04PM.thumb.png.a37ee60d93de0f127fe49eaaf82bd3f3.pngScreenshot2024-03-28at12_19_48PM.thumb.jpg.5809e96ab9e60cc92ac97e5b51e03493.jpgIMG_6482.thumb.jpeg.9ab0acc3e101aeb65d269cdbc2cb2b9e.jpegIMG_6487.thumb.jpeg.34d7d9f1f5d34328ef22eea806109238.jpegIMG_6486.thumb.jpeg.82c3c458a4572cded58ffc64a135400c.jpeg

That's wild your first 3 and 3.5 were 8 rgc apart for 2 outliers. Mine were 147 and 173

• Like 2

6 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

That's wild your first 3 and 3.5 were 8 rgc apart for 2 outliers. Mine were 147 and 173

Yeah, much to your point, and after talking with a few people, I want to make clear to @thestandingman that I'm leaning towards him being legit, especially if his 3.5 is lower rated (it looks like a shallow mount just eyeballing it; more leverage, lower rating). Some rough math on a rating should be possible with digital caliper measurements of wire diameter, spread, and mount depth.

The initial presumption was based on the overall progression from 300 lb deep set to 3.5 credit card set in 9 months, which sounded highly suspicious - but the difference between the 3.5 being 162 rgc vs. 180 rgc, for example, is tremendous. It's almost the difference between being ready for the 3 cert and being ready for the 3.5 cert, since the variability in 3.5 ratings is so extreme. The grippers being unrated makes the progression almost impossible to gauge accurately.

Also, to TheStandingMan's credit, unlike pasta man, he actually has the musculature and size to support his claims. He's something like 6'2 or 6'3, 235 lbs. And his forearms actually look similar to Ivan Cuk's, albeit smaller.

7 minutes ago, Jared P said:

Yeah, much to your point, and after talking with a few people, I want to make clear to @thestandingman that I'm leaning towards him being legit, especially if his 3.5 is lower rated (it looks like a shallow mount just eyeballing it; more leverage, lower rating). Some rough math on a rating should be possible with digital caliper measurements of wire diameter, spread, and mount depth.

The initial presumption was based on the overall progression from 300 lb deep set to 3.5 credit card set in 9 months, which sounded highly suspicious - but the difference between the 3.5 being 162 rgc vs. 180 rgc, for example, is tremendous. It's almost the difference between being ready for the 3 cert and being ready for the 3.5 cert, since the variability in 3.5 ratings is so extreme. The grippers being unrated makes the progression almost impossible to gauge accurately.

Also, to TheStandingMan's credit, unlike pasta man, he actually has the musculature and size to support his claims. He's something like 6'2 or 6'3, 235 lbs. And his forearms actually look similar to Ivan Cuk's, albeit smaller.

On the other hand if it actually is that light and easy of a 3.5, it shouldn't be that hard to just pick it up and film a clearer attempt without really having to train for it...160 is not really that hard or terribly above average for a strong person that knows what they're doing with grippers. Assuming he has continued to train other things and at least maintained if not progressed in the past year, it should be even easier to film now than it was then. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jared P said:

Hey bro im thinking of recording it today, my caliper has already arrived, felling strong today, and ye im 6'3, 108kg and my forearms measure about 39 cm extender and 44 cm flexed against the bíceps.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

On the other hand if it actually is that light and easy of a 3.5, it shouldn't be that hard to just pick it up and film a clearer attempt without really having to train for it...160 is not really that hard or terribly above average for a strong person that knows what they're doing with grippers. Assuming he has continued to train other things and at least maintained if not progressed in the past year, it should be even easier to film now than it was then. 

Im weak Bro 😔

10 minutes ago, thestandingman said:

Hey bro im thinking of recording it today, my caliper has already arrived, felling strong today, and ye im 6'3, 108kg and my forearms measure about 39 cm extender and 44 cm flexed against the bíceps.

Just film it man, let's go.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

Just film it man, let's go.

Just filmed It, im posting It on youtube

1 minute ago, thestandingman said:

Just filmed It, im posting It on youtube

Im weaker could get only 2 good reps, it will try to get stronger in the following months to do 3 certification, before 3 weeks ago i was 5 months off grippers coming from a wrist injury so its not that bad, sorry for keep you guys waiting, ty for the patience.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Awesome, nice job.  Thanks for ending the suspense! 💪

• Like 4

Looks good. Yeah at 70 mm that is probably a realllllly light 3.5. You'll have the 3 cert no problem

2 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

Looks good. Yeah at 70 mm that is probably a realllllly light 3.5. You'll have the 3 cert no problem

Maybe Bro, idk why but it fells very similar to my titanium, maybe its because of the rust or because the knurling is very worn

14 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

Awesome, nice job.  Thanks for ending the suspense! 💪

No problem, its a pleasure being part of the grip community 

• Like 4