Questionable Claims

John McCarter

55 minutes ago, climber511 said:

I'm not much on the technology end of things but all this was kind of predicted way back in the day when all we had sometimes was a "photograph" .  As the ability to edit or create video becomes greater and greater the ability to make it look like something happened that really did not is going o be a bigger and bigger issue.  The day will come when competition results may be the only way to prove anything - and probably strict rules will be needed even then.  

Pretty much yup.

People think advancements in technology is great.  While it is, for everything that’s made easier for good… it also creates new opportunities for bad.

99% of us train hard and are honest, it’s too bad there’s always that 1 that ruins it for us.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Pretty much yup.

People think advancements in technology is great.  While it is, for everything that’s made easier for good… it also creates new opportunities for bad.

99% of us train hard and are honest, it’s too bad there’s always that 1 that ruins it for us.

On the other hand, if this forces people to organize more face 2 face meetings, why not?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, martincerven said:

On the other hand, if this forces people to organize more face 2 face meetings, why not?

I agree.  And as this sport grows that should be made easier too.

Just sucks. I’ve been training to lift the inch and someday I will. I’ve received coaching, and have spent so much time training for it and have so far to go. 

When the time comes for me to prove myself, I’ll pack my inch and head out to Jedds and lift it there so there’s no doubt. But that’s what we gotta do. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Just sucks. I’ve been training to lift the inch and someday I will. I’ve received coaching, and have spent so much time training for it and have so far to go. 

When the time comes for me to prove myself, I’ll pack my inch and head out to Jedds and lift it there so there’s no doubt. But that’s what we gotta do. 

I'm not sure it sucks that much. Tiziano got away with a lot, but in hindsight it was all right there in front of us. As people find new ways to misrepresent feats, we can also find new ways to safeguard the feats. For example, I'm not worried about the Mash Monster process although there will be new safeguards put in place.

For grippers, heating springs goes all the way back to the beginning of the community, over 20 years ago and longer. I posted a FAQ here last year which touches on the subject and advises the best defense against a heated spring is to measure the spread before and after the close. Jay's recent work reiterates how this simple step can protect against many types of tampering by either revealing the spread is too narrow to be original, or revealing the spread changed too much in the before and after.

I think it's good for controversy to bring exploits to light. And it's frustrating that people would cheat. But I also think we have to be careful about going overboard and managing to the minority. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I'm not sure it sucks that much. Tiziano got away with a lot, but in hindsight it was all right there in front of us. As people find new ways to misrepresent feats, we can also find new ways to safeguard the feats. For example, I'm not worried about the Mash Monster process although there will be new safeguards put in place.

For grippers, heating springs goes all the way back to the beginning of the community, over 20 years ago and longer. I posted a FAQ here last year which touches on the subject and advises the best defense against a heated spring is to measure the spread before and after the close. Jay's recent work reiterates how this simple step can protect against many types of tampering by either revealing the spread is too narrow to be original, or revealing the spread changed too much in the before and after.

I think it's good for controversy to bring exploits to light. And it's frustrating that people would cheat. But I also think we have to be careful about going overboard and managing to the minority. 

It really is. It certainly exposed a “weakness” for lack of better words. And that’s not a bad thing, as this sport evolves we and the rules must too. 

As strange as it sounds, it’s almost necessary every once in awhile.

Also it goes to show you, never lead by emotion. Like you said the facts where there all along right in front of us. Always always always stick to the facts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

It really is. It certainly exposed a “weakness” for lack of better words. And that’s not a bad thing, as this sport evolves we and the rules must too. 

As strange as it sounds, it’s almost necessary every once in awhile.

Also it goes to show you, never lead by emotion. Like you said the facts where there all along right in front of us. Always always always stick to the facts. 

Every online hobby group has at least 1 tiz if not many, if he didn't do it with grip it would have been something else, same personality type, a lot like the dark triad trait combination. I've seen the same thing with other hobbies. I agree it can be considered a good thing, it strengthened the standard for what is considered a valid close, reminded us to trust our gut instinct, and it got me talking with a lot of grip people I hadn't talked to ever or much recently.

Looking back now it is funny how obvious the videos were if you just looked closely, but me and many others I've talked with agree we were too annoyed by the ridiculous progress claims to barely even pay attention or watch the videos if not a quick skim because of that 6th sense that it was too unrealistic to be true, which was correct the whole time. And now people are much more aware of how to fake gripper closes and how to look out for them. Someone sent me a tiktok video of a kid closing a hulk and the spring looked adjusted to be mounted super high lol.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, C8Myotome said:

Every online hobby group has at least 1 tiz

Look up Norman Boutin. That's a rabbit hole of insanity. All this reminds me of him. Sorry in advance if you start looking into it.

Btw, Tiz's profile is removed from the write up section. The certification video is no longer on IronMind's youtube page.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, John McCarter said:

Btw, Tiz's profile is removed from the write up section. The certification video is no longer on IronMind's youtube page.

4c9553b4b02a4b361090773f00bc37e6.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just received another phone call from Dr. Randall Strossen.

He called the discovery of the sticker the coup de grâce to verifying the certification as fraudulent (any of us could have found this, I'm not taking any kind of weird pride in this, just relaying the message), and wanted to say that not only has Tiziano's certification, video, and write-up been revoked, but Tiziano has been banned for life from ever competing in any IronMind certification or event.

He also said that they discovered numerous methods by which the fraud was or could be achieved, and are going to be taking major steps forward to ensure that all future certifications are safeguarded from fraud, not exclusive to, but likely including, in-person judging again.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Jared P said:

He called the discovery of the sticker the coup de grâce to verifying the certification as fraudulent (any of us could have found this, I'm not taking any kind of weird pride in this, just relaying the message), and wanted to say that not only has Tiziano's certification, video, and write-up been revoked, but Tiziano has been banned for life from ever competing in any IronMind certification or event.

He also said that they discovered numerous methods by which the fraud was or could be achieved, and are going to be taking major steps forward to ensure that all future certifications are safeguarded from fraud, not exclusive to, but likely including, in-person judging again.

Holy crap, this is big news!

edit note: My jaw dropped like a cartoon character reading your comment.

Edited by John McCarter
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

My magic 8 ball says someone will be getting a CoC tattoo removal in the near future

I dread to even imagine the size and placement of the GHP logo

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

It's nice to have some resolution to all this garbage even if Tiziano wouldn't admit to it himself.

I think at the end of the day, there's no way he could have been doing it for money/personal gain. He seems like a big fan of grip that just wanted people to think he was cool but wasn't willing to put in the work. Kinda sad when you think about it.

I'm in the 99th percentile of players on chess.com, but all the cheating I experienced was when I was really bad. I think people who are actually good at something don't need to cheat, they get more satisfaction out of getting better. Tiz was riding the high of false admiration 🤷‍♂️

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, DrBartlebee said:

It's nice to have some resolution to all this garbage even if Tiziano wouldn't admit to it himself.

I think at the end of the day, there's no way he could have been doing it for money/personal gain. He seems like a big fan of grip that just wanted people to think he was cool but wasn't willing to put in the work. Kinda sad when you think about it.

I'm in the 99th percentile of players on chess.com, but all the cheating I experienced was when I was really bad. I think people who are actually good at something don't need to cheat, they get more satisfaction out of getting better. Tiz was riding the high of false admiration 🤷‍♂️

Whatever reasons he may had for doing this, it's back fired. And he must live with the actions he's created. If Tiz went out of his way to train and cert for real, everyone would cheer him on. But he'll never have that. He wasted every chance to prove himself as real and will be seen as a fake from this day on.

Edited by John McCarter
  • Like 2

If we really want to stick it to him, let's move on as if he never existed.  His type will feed on either fame or infamy.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

If we really want to stick it to him, let's move on as if he never existed.  His type will feed on either fame or infamy.

This will happen eventually for sure, but I feel like his footprint will remain for a while, especially with the now potentially changed IM cert

• Like 2

Just now, Alex K said:

This will happen eventually for sure, but I feel like his footprint will remain for a while, especially with the now potentially changed IM cert

Let's wait for Randall's public comments on the matter, see what does change moving forward.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

let's move on as if he never existed

Agreed. Back to training

42 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

Well said. But I am still anxiously waiting for Randalls statement.

• Like 4

Just now, bruce1337 said:

Me too 🤣

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bruce1337 said:

When the cert update comes through, everyone, me included, will completely move on. This will be a memory of the past.

Edited by Alex K
  • Like 3

Welp, tiz was a good read. See you guys in another year or so lol

• Haha 8

57 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Welp, tiz was a good read. See you guys in another year or so lol

Yup. I am waiting for someone to post more memes 🤪 The other few one's made me laugh so hard!

23 hours ago, Jared P said:

And probably the final update from me, we have decided to ban his GripBoard member account. The motive to announce this is so members know there is no reason to tag him or try and rouse him for future replies or explanations. His confirmed actions to defraud and exploit the grip community are inexcusable. Especially in the absence of any apology or acknowledgement of accountability in the matter.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 10

8 minutes ago, Cannon said:

And probably the final update from me, we have decided to ban his GripBoard member account. The motive to announce this is so members know there is no reason to tag him or try and rouse him for future replies or explanations. His confirmed actions to defraud and exploit the grip community are inexcusable. Especially in the absence of any apology or acknowledgement of accountability in the matter.

If he had apologized and asked to be allowed to stay, I'd have been willing to hear his plea.  But this seems like a fair result given his attitude, and if he ever really wants to come back, he can always reach out to one of us who is active and beg lol.  

Until the next one!

• Like 7