Help!

dannyboy

I find Nathan Holle was spot on when he said "the best form of progression is to develop the discipline to give ever single attempt your all". If you're looking to develop good maximal strength, don't waste your time with attempts that aren't all out.

That's a good point though! I read that the Holles never do more than 2 reps on a gripper. On all of my other lifts, I rarely go over 5 reps!

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dannyboy

• mooinabc1

• pdoire

• bencrush

hey thanks for all of the advise guys. :rock

i like how everyone tries to help others on this bored. im still working on that #2 some days she goes, other days shes stuborn and wont. and thanks clay maybe i will get a new #1, im gunna go in the store and try their #1 and see if its as easy as mine

im getting the #2 for 2 reps now. very gradual progress, none the less its still progress. i guess i expected faster strength gains since im new to grip training (2 months) you remember when you first started weightgt training? (bench press) almost every day was an improvement, even if you only put on another 2.5lb. but with grip sometimes when you dont see improvements its discouraging...then outa know where you get another rep. you dont know it but your gradualy getting stronger the whole time

Stick with it dannyboy. In a year, you'll be amazed how far you've come.

im getting 4 reps on the #2 now, hope the progress keeps up :rock

where would i be without this board? i wouldnt even know what holds or strap holds are!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys i have been doing strap holds alot now, its realy been working well...BUT incase some of you make the same mistake as me, heres what not to do.

i was doing strap holds every workout, did it six days in a row, then all of a sudden my next workout i couldnt get #2 even once!!!! i was pissed then i thought to myslef how i was obviously over training with the strap holds, i took one day off came back and got the #2 5 times....new pr too :D from now on im just gunna do strap holds every other workout if not every 3 days. im happy im at 5 reps, but on the other hand (no pun intended) my left hand cant even get 1 rep. seems to have plateaued. i just have different goal now per arm, #3 with teh right.....and lets say #2 for 6 on the left

ok i guess this post was initially a cry for help, now its my progress. annnnyways.

last night i got 8 reps with the #2 on my right. i was in shock!!!! didnt expect to get over 4 - 5. left hand i was sooooo close, but i couldnt finish it.

i think i found a good routine thats seems to be working. 6 days on 1 off. before i was basically training every day, couldnt find it in me to take a day off lol

doing strap holds only once a week now, lots of singles with the #2, and i rep out on ocasion. seems to be working well for the past 2 weeks. i still can only bring the #3 to paralel. wonder how many times i have to rep the #2 before i can start work with the #3????

did some singles and holds last night. held the #2 for 20 seconds with my right, left is still a millimeter away, im sure ill close it this week....if not next week for SURE.

last night i did some strap holds, ive done them before but never been sucesfull with the #2. last time i tried strap holds with the #2 a week ago....the belt i use is a cloth belt, i folded it in half to give it a bit more thickness and i still couldnt hang on to the 2.5lb. last night i got 5lb with the #2 for 10 seconds on the right, the left arm i got 12.5 pounds with the #1 for 10 secs. im geting some good gains lately, hopefully i dont tapper of. right now my short term goal is to get 10 reps with the #2 on my right....close the #2 with my right. im thinking tonight it may happen!!!!

last night i was eating dinner, it was supposed to be an off day with the grippers. i was eating and from the corner of my eye i saw my #2 on the ground, i figured i would give it a squeeze, did 1 rep felt easy so i did a couple more, they felt eay too......i kept going till i had 11 reps!!!!! a new pr. that was my right arm, then i tried on my left and got CLOOOSE with the #2, BUT close dosnt cut it, DAMN IT!!!!!!!! im happy i got 11 with my right but i still cant get 1 rep with my left, kinda takes away the glory from my right oh well i dont wanna jinx anything so ill take the god with the bad :(

......i kept going till i had 11 reps!!!!! a new pr. that was my right arm, then i tried on my left and got CLOOOSE with the #2, BUT close dosnt cut it, DAMN IT!!!!!!!! im happy i got 11 with my right but i still cant get 1 rep with my left

WILL YOU PLEASE STOP IT WITH ALL THE REPS!!! :angry:

Concentrate on getting the crush. Negatives, strapholds and overcrushes are the things you need to work on!

Guest gripmaster316

Some people find reps good. Reps really help the sweep (depending on how far you go out).

Edited by gripmaster316

wow dont hate on the reps cybersnot, right now im doing whats working for me.

heres my routine. 6 days on one day off, day 1 is reps, day 2 is strap holds, day 3 is 1 rep closes and holds, day 4 is no set closes for reps, day 5 strap holds and day six is singles with holds again. like most ppl i bought the #3 and brought it home only to find i would not be using it in my routine just yet. last night i was doing singles and decided to see if i could start trying to close the #3 yet......i squeezed it and it came surprisingly close, i dont think i could of fit a pencil in the gap. im so excited i know ill get it in maybe a couple more months.

repped out with the #2 before my #3 atempts yesterday. got 13 reps with my right and guess how many on my left!!!!!!! a big fat miss, i dont think i could of slip a piece of paper inbetween the gap of my left hand atempt. damn :(

oh well the #3 attemps went ok also, it feels so good to be finaly using my #3 in my workouts rather than stroring it under my bed :rock

ps i think/know repping the #2 affected my #3 attempt. next time i wont do it

My body is pure fast-twitch muscle. Any form of high rep, endurance work... I just suck at it.

Highly doubt that :) Even if you suck at activities that require strength-endurance, those body parts that are preforming those activities are still likely to have some slow-twitch makeup. If you had all fast twitch, I don't think you would be here, you'd be training away at some elite training facility without internet access. :)

im not posting every workout, but just every time i get a personal best

yesterday was strap holds, before i got started i gave the #3 a try, wow wasnt a good atempt that day at all. strap holds went well though. right hand i used #2 and held 7.5lb for 10 seconds, left hand i used #1 and held 15lb for 10 seconds also.

#3 attempt yesterday was 1/4 inch away, wow!!!!! but im not gunna get to excited caus i know that last 1/4 inch is gunna take forever to close. left handed i closed the #2 again but this time i got it good. i wanna be more consistent with it though that was my second time i closed it left handed with about 5 days inbetween.

did 1 set of reps with my #2 right handed, got it 15 times!!!!! left handed i got 1.9

aaaaaaaaaaalmnost 2 reps. then i did # 3 attemps, wasnt good. i know it sucked caus of my #2 reps, but its ok caus today was my repping day

did singles last night. my #3 attempt right handed was the best yet, about two pennies apart. my #2 closes......well lets just say they werent closes. all failed.

if my left hand were a seperate person i would give it the biggest running drop kick to the :online head for being so weak...DAMN YOU LEFT HAND!!!!

ok my last 2 workouts went well as far as the left hand goes, out of 5 #2 attemps with my left hand in a 2 day span i missed only one try. im realy happy caus my left was/is so far behind my right, at least now i can close the #2 lefty pretty consistent. anywya i just finished some strap holds....went well too

#2 right hand i got 12.5 for 3 sets for 7 seconds. left hand i used #1 with 17.5 and held that for an easy 10 seconds for 3 sets. im gunna have to buy more weights caus 17.5 is to light for my left.....ALTHOUGH in an ideal world ill start doing strap holds with my left.....but if its anything like how my right progresed im gunna have to be able to at least do 3 reps before i can even attempt 2.5 holds.

all in all im happy with my progress, coming along well. its so encouraging to read everyone elses progress also. thanks guys

ok after a day of rest my training continues, last night was my rep day.

right hand with #2 i started repping it felt like a JOKE aven after 10 reps i was still going well, after 14 reps the handle SLIPPED I just got one more after that so 15 in all...damn i was so pissed i KNOW i had way more. basically the problem was chalk, usualy chalk is good but over the last month or so of using chalk the grip on the handle isnt as good.... as there was chalk all in the grooves, i cleaned it and its all good now. after that i did 3 more sets 10 reps, 9 reps, 8 reps. now as far as my left hand goes, i got 3 reps with the #2!!!! finally progress......finally REPS. thank god..... :rock i did 4 sets left. 3 reps, 3 reps, 2 reps, miss.....i tore one of my calusses off i hope it doesnt effect my next workout