100 LB unrated gripper:

3x failure

Sand "bucket":

3x failure

Edited by DevilErik
Forgot to add the other overcrushes.
  • Like 5

Training update:

My approach to torsion spring gripper training is not working and I have also noticed that training with torsion spring grippers makes my sweep on extension spring grippers weaker.

Training extension spring grippers does not improve my performance on torsion spring grippers whatsoever and vice versa.

I will have to start training them seperately as if they are two completely different things.

A strong sweep doesn't get you anywhere on torsion spring grippers and I am afraid that if I don't start seperating them now that soon my close will be so weak that I am  going to have to start all over again with my torsion spring gripper journey.

Even my Ivanko overcrush has gotten weaker which sucks.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 5

On 11/16/2022 at 10:12 AM, DevilErik said:

Training update:

My approach to torsion spring gripper training is not working and I have also noticed that training with torsion spring grippers makes my sweep on extension spring grippers weaker.

Training extension spring grippers does not improve my performance on torsion spring grippers whatsoever and vice versa.

I will have to start training them seperately as if they are two completely different things.

A strong sweep doesn't get you anywhere on torsion spring grippers and I am afraid that if I don't start seperating them now that soon my close will be so weak that I am  going to have to start all over again with my torsion spring gripper journey.

Even my Ivanko overcrush has gotten weaker which sucks.

Just hire phatmuscle and close a 4 with your butt cheeks. Problem solved. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, BottledCitrus said:

Just hire phatmuscle and close a 4 with your butt cheeks. Problem solved. 

HAHHAHAHAHANA I AM DEAD.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Today's session: Grippers

Warming up:

100 LB Gripper

150 LB Gripper

200 LB Gripper

300 LB Gripper:

1 MMS close

I was actually quite happy with this close despite it being super easy in fact it was so easy that I overcrushed it.

CoC no.3.5:

Setting this gripper is way too difficult for me and I am not able to keep it in place while setting it the same goes for my no.3.

250 LB unrated gripper:

2 TNS closes 

I really dislike setting it hurts and it zaps my strength I would love to try the no.3-3.5 and no.4 in a choker because I just know I would at least be able to destroy the no.3 and no.3.5.

I might even be able to close the no.4 with a deep set but I am not sure about that.

Recovery:

100 LB unrated gripper:

3x failure

Extensor "bucket":

3x failure

• Like 6

5 hours ago, DevilErik said:

I really dislike setting it hurts and it zaps my strength I would love to try the no.3-3.5 and no.4 in a choker because I just know I would at least be able to destroy the no.3 and no.3.5.

I understand that the washer-filing method can be tedious (and even hard to get based on location), so I recommend buying a stainless hose clamp. Put some tape on the handle where you put the choker so it won't hurt the aluminum too much. If you put it on the 3.5, you could still work with the 3 toward the CCS. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, matek said:

I understand that the washer-filing method can be tedious (and even hard to get based on location), so I recommend buying a stainless hose clamp. Put some tape on the handle where you put the choker so it won't hurt the aluminum too much. If you put it on the 3.5, you could still work with the 3 toward the CCS. 

What's the best diameter hose clamp for a gripper I have looked around but I have no idea which one I should get.

They range from like 20-35mm to 80-100mm.

The problem is that I can't set at all even my no.3 is too difficult to set.

I can probably wide set close my no.3 because I am very close with both a no set and a TNS.

4 hours ago, DevilErik said:

What's the best diameter hose clamp for a gripper I have looked around but I have no idea which one I should get.

They range from like 20-35mm to 80-100mm.

I checked mine, it is 40-60, and made from 304 stainless steel. The thickness is 0.7mm, and the width is 12mm. 
Just don't buy the ones which have holes along the whole clamp. I also recommend taping the top of the clamp (on the gripper), so it can't pinch your skin and doesn't move around when the gripper is closed. 

4 hours ago, DevilErik said:

The problem is that I can't set at all even my no.3 is too difficult to set.

I can probably wide set close my no.3 because I am very close with both a no set and a TNS.

If your main goal is the CoC cert, just try to do that #3 CCS as far as you can or a lighter gripper fully closed. There is not much setting involved in CCS anyway. And if you want to avoid setting the gripper deeper, train the end part 20mm and 30mm choked. But one way or another, the end part should be trained in all cases in my opinion. 

Tell me if you need more info about the clamp. 💪

Edited by matek
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, matek said:

I checked mine, it is 40-60, and made from 304 stainless steel. The thickness is 0.7mm, and the width is 12mm. 
Just don't buy the ones which have holes along the whole clamp. I also recommend taping the top of the clamp (on the gripper), so it can't pinch your skin and doesn't move around when the gripper is closed. 

If your main goal is the CoC cert, just try to do that #3 CCS as far as you can or a lighter gripper fully closed. There is not much setting involved in CCS anyway. And if you want to avoid setting the gripper deeper, train the end part 20mm and 30mm choked. But one way or another, the end part should be trained in all cases in my opinion. 

Thanks for all the info man I really appreciate it!

I only have to train the end range because I am like less than half a deep set away from closing the no.3, like a deep set away from closing my no. 3.5 and I can even move my no.4 3/4 of the way.

I think no set attempts and deep set closes is all I need.

The problem is that the gripper slides back when I try to set it making it impossible to close.

I am not even strong enough to set it to CCS range without it sliding back.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, matek said:

I found some clamps with the exact measurements you mentioned I am going to buy them tomorrow thanks again man this is going to be awesome I can't wait to get the clamps on and start squeezing.

They didn't mention anything about thickness but the width is 12mm and it's a 40-60mm one without holes so it should be perfect.

I am going to put the clamps on my no.3 and no.3.5 I am kinda hesitant about putting one on my no.4 though I really don't want it to come off unexpectedly.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, DevilErik said:

The problem is that the gripper slides back when I try to set it making it impossible to close.

I am not even strong enough to set it to CCS range without it sliding back.

But it has to "slide back" (intentionally) somewhat. Otherwise, you can't start the close, right? I mean, I know you have big hands, but I think almost no one does it exactly at the same position as an optimal MMS. Pinky is one thing, but even the ring finger wouldn't get full coverage. 

3 hours ago, DevilErik said:

They didn't mention anything about thickness but the width is 12mm and it's a 40-60mm one without holes so it should be perfect.

Nice to hear! Can't wait to see your progress 💪

3 hours ago, DevilErik said:

I am going to put the clamps on my no.3 and no.3.5 I am kinda hesitant about putting one on my no.4 though I really don't want it to come off unexpectedly.

If the #3.5 is very easy 30mm choked, you can move to the #4 at 20mm I think (but we don't know the ratings, so who knows). You can test the choker on the #4: put it on and leave it for a few days. But I think it should be fine. 

• Like 1

I like the idea of the choker.

tomorrow I will go to the hardware store and look for a m42 washer to make a choker.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, matek said:

But it has to "slide back" (intentionally) somewhat. Otherwise, you can't start the close, right? I mean, I know you have big hands, but I think almost no one does it exactly at the same position as an optimal MMS. Pinky is one thing, but even the ring finger wouldn't get full coverage. 

Nice to hear! Can't wait to see your progress 💪

If the #3.5 is very easy 30mm choked, you can move to the #4 at 20mm I think (but we don't know the ratings, so who knows). You can test the choker on the #4: put it on and leave it for a few days. But I think it should be fine. 

It slides back when I set it my thumb isn't able to push hard enough on the handle for it to stay in place.

Thanks man this is going to be awesome!

I think I can destroy the no.3.5 at 30mm because I can almost no set it.

I think my no.4 is a hard one because my no. 3.5 feels like a trainer compared to my no.4 so it wouldn't suprise me if it was a 100kg+ no.4 but like you said we don't know the ratings so we'll never know.

I am going to do what you said hopefully the clamp stays on the no.4 as well that would be freaking awesome.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

It slides back when I set it my thumb isn't able to push hard enough on the handle for it to stay in place.

Thanks man this is going to be awesome!

I think my no.4 is a hard one because my no. 3.5 feels like a trainer compared to my no.4 so it wouldn't suprise me if it was a 100kg+ no.4 but like you said we don't know the ratings so we'll never know.

I am going to do what you said hopefully the clamp stays on the no.4 as well that would be freaking awesome.

good luck. cant wait to hear the results.

• Like 2

Just now, Blacksmith513 said:

good luck. cant wait to hear the results.

Thanks man I appreciate it hopefully I'll be able to destroy my no.4 as well but we'll find out soon enough!

Same as Joe, can't wait to see the results!

48 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

In that case, I wouldn't even bother putting it on the #3!

I attached an older picture from my log; maybe it's clearer what I mean by taping the handles (saves the aluminum handle) and the top of the clamp (protects your skin and the clamp doesn't slip). 

20220311.jpg

Edited by matek
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, matek said:

Same as Joe, can't wait to see the results!

In that case, I wouldn't even bother putting it on the #3!

I attached an older picture from my log; maybe it's clearer what I mean by taping the handles (saves the aluminum handle) and the top of the clamp (protects your skin and doesn't slip). 

20220311.jpg

Thanks man I am super stoked I can't wait!

I think I am going to choke my no.3 to CCS range because I keep missing by a few mm I really have to get used to the close.

Thanks for the picture man that helps a lot!

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DevilErik said:

Thanks for the picture man that helps a lot!

No problem!

1 minute ago, DevilErik said:

I think I am going to choke my no.3 to CCS range because I keep missing by a few mm I really have to get used to the close.

I really advise against doing that with a clamp. I have never tried it, but I think the clamp will not deform in the way you want, and it will just slip (up). For that, you would need a washer (no idea what size) or the CPW choker solution. From here, just my opinion: I think CC range choking wouldn't be that beneficial anyways. Maybe your path to the CoC cert is doing it no set. The badass way. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, matek said:

No problem!

I really advise against doing that with a clamp. I have never tried it, but I think the clamp will not deform in the way you want, and it will just slip (up). For that, you would need a washer (no idea what size) or the CPW choker solution. From here, just my opinion: I think CC range choking wouldn't be that beneficial anyways. Maybe your path to the CoC cert is doing it no set. The badass way. 

Thanks man then I will just choke my no 3.5 and my no.4.

That's the plan I want to do all certs with either a No Set or a Table No Set I just need the chokers because I am still getting used to the end range after using the Ivanko for so long I am used to the sweep being the hardest part of the ROM that's why my closes suck on CoC's because they're the exact opposite of my Ivanko.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

Today's session: Grippers

Warming up:

100 LBS

150 LBS

200 LBS

CoC no.3:

1 no set attempt

I am a deep set away from closing it I used to be closer than I am now so for some reason my close has gotten slightly weaker on the no.3.

CoC no.3.5:

1 no set attempt

This is hilarious I am also a deep set away from closing my no.3.5

After this attempt I decided to switch to TNS because I was very curious about my TNS strength on the 3.5.

300 LB unrated gripper:

1 no set attempt

I am a few mm away from closing it.

CoC no.3.5:

2 TNS attempts:

I am also a deep set away from closing it with a TNS I have no idea how this is possible but it's pretty funny in my opinion.

250 LBS Golden Grip Gripper:

4 TNS closes

Recovery:

100 LB Gripper:

3x failure

Extensor "bucket":

3x failure

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 4

Today's session: Extension Spring Grippers

Ivanko Super Gripper:

Warming up:

(1,3)-(1,5)-(1,7)-(1,8)-(1,9)-(1,10)

TNS Overcrush 1 RM:

(8,11) 143 LBS RGC 

MISSED BY A HAIR

TNS Overcrush 3 triples:

(2,12) 108 LBS RGC GOT ALL 3!

Vulcan V2 CROM Spring NO SETS:

2-2 (LEVEL 9): 2 singles

GOT BOTH!!

Recovery:

100 LB gripper:

3x failure

Extensor "bucket":

3x failure

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 5

The issues here with setting heavier grippers are why my clients all strength train , and the grippers come up as a result. 

No butt cheeks needed, just a bit of overall body strength  ;)

• Like 1