DevilErik's Training Log

DevilErik

34 minutes ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

There are folks who benefit from negatives and all props to them but i think alot of the heavy hitters here would say that negatives are the least worth it in terms of risk/reward ratio

They have allowed me to progress at an insane rate back when I was still using the Ivanko.

I would do negatives with my Vulcan and those would carry over to my Ivanko closes but they don't seem to be doing anything for me right now.

I agree with the risk to reward ratio I have never done super heavy negatives but even "light" ones can cause injury very easily.

I was looking for a way to train the last cm but doing it with negatives is not the right way for me.

My sweep is mad strong but the last cm is so freaking difficult for me because I am used to a linear strength curve.

A no.3.5 feels like a joke to me until I hit the last cm CoC grippers literally feel like those parallel u shaped handle grippers to me.

I destroy the sweep and then I just hit a brick wall I can't seem to get through.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DevilErik said:

I hope so man I am really struggling with the last cm which is the hardest part of the close.

I hope my adjustable grippers can help me reach that goal because I am done with doing negatives I nearly got injured yesterday so I will quit now before it's too late.

Perhaps doing some choker closes or deep sets would benefit you. Seems like it's just closing strength you're lacking since you get equally close on both the 3 and 3.5. I've only been training grippers myself for about 6 months, so I'm no expert so take my advice with that in consideration 🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

Perhaps doing some choker closes or deep sets would benefit you. Seems like it's just closing strength you're lacking since you get equally close on both the 3 and 3.5. I've only been training grippers myself for about 6 months, so I'm no expert so take my advice with that in consideration 🙂

That's the problem I can't set I simply lack the upper body strength now because I was forced to quit strength training due to health issues. Also a set doesn't do anything for me so I am either not setting correctly or the Ivanko has turned me into a special little snowflake.

I have never heard of anyone transitioning from the Ivanko to CoC grippers.

I have also been warned about the Ivanko not having carry over to Torsion spring grippers but even my Vulcan with the Orange spring doesn't seem to be doing much for the last cm of my torsion spring gripper closes because the handles are much thicker.

Getting certified or closing big torsion spring grippers isn't my primary goal anyway so I don't necessarily have to get certified.

I really hate the fact that there is so much technique involved I prefer "dumb" crushing.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

That's the problem I can't set I simply lack the upper body strength now because I was forced to quit strength training due to health issues. Also a set doesn't do anything for me so I am either not setting correctly or the Ivanko has turned me into a special little snowflake.

I have never heard of anyone transitioning from the Ivanko to CoC grippers.

I have also been warned about the Ivanko not having carry over to Torsion spring grippers but even my Vulcan with the Orange spring doesn't seem to be doing much for the last cm of my torsion spring gripper closes because the handles are much thicker.

Getting certified or closing big torsion spring grippers isn't my primary goal anyway so I don't necessarily have to get certified.

I really hate the fact that there is so much technique involved I prefer "dumb" crushing.

Sounds like a choked gripper is perfect for you then. 

I have troubles with deep setting grippers too, so I recently started adding choked grippers to my workouts. My goal is to get certified on the #3, so I thought why bother with deep sets when I only need a CCS, which I can get on just about all my grippers already.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

Sounds like a choked gripper is perfect for you then. 

I have troubles with deep setting grippers too, so I recently started adding choked grippers to my workouts. My goal is to get certified on the #3, so I thought why bother with deep sets when I only need a CCS, which I can get on just about all my grippers already.

I am actually thinking of going back to my original plan which was to train on my CoC no.4 until I am a deep set away from closing it and then buying the hardest CoC no.4 I could find in a choker.

I wouldn't get used to moving it a certain distance either because I would just do closes on my other day(s).

I could also just scrap them for a while close the highest setting on my Vulcan Orange Spring and give my no.3 another try. The highest setting is equal to a very hard no.3.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

Today's session: Grippers

Vulcan V2 CROM Spring:

Warming up:

1-1

1-2

4-5( level 16):

2 Ultra Wide Set attempts

I messed up my set on the first attempt so I decided to do another attempt.

I missed it by a hair on the second attempt which means I would have closed it if it wasn't for me messing up my set on the first attempt.

Setting SUCKS!!!!!

3-4(level 13)

1 Ultra Wide Set single

I was supposed to do closes with holds but I wanted to know how fatigued I was after attempting my max twice.

Turned out I wasn't fatigued at all this was an easy close.

3 Ultra Wide Set singles+5 second hold.

I got all 3!! PRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

I moved up a notch,did an additonal single and I still managed to get all of them!!!!

This was an awesome session despite me messing up my set.

Recovery:

100 LB Gripper:

3x failure

Extensor "bucket":

3x failure

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, DevilErik said:

Vulcan V2 CROM Spring:

Warming up:

1-1

1-2

4-5( level 16):

2 Ultra Wide Set attempts

I messed up my set on the first attempt so I decided to do another attempt.

I missed it by a hair on the second attempt which means I would have closed it if it wasn't for me messing up my set on the first attempt.

Setting SUCKS!!!!!

3-4(level 13)

1 Ultra Wide Set single

I was supposed to do closes with holds but I wanted to know how fatigued I was after attempting my max twice.

Turned out I wasn't fatigued at all this was an easy close.

3 Ultra Wide Set singles+5 second hold.

I got all 3!! PRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

I moved up a notch,did an additonal single and I still managed to get all of them!!!!

This was an awesome session despite me messing up my set.

Recovery:

100 LB Gripper:

3x failure

Extensor "bucket":

3x failure

No two workouts are ever the same I am finding out with this grip stuff. You didn’t mess up your set. You learned something and got stronger.

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

No two workouts are ever the same I am finding out with this grip stuff. You didn’t mess up your set. You learned something and got stronger.

Haha that's a nice way of looking at it I would have closed it if it wasn't for the retarded width though.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

Got a brand new adjustable gripper that feels exactly like torsion spring grippers!!

Warming up:

1-1

1-2

3x5 second holds:

6-6(72.8 kg RGC)

6-7(76.6 kg RGC)

7-7(82.1 kg RGC)

Recovery:

100 LBS:

3x failure

Extensor "bucket":

3x failure

20221228_153849.jpg

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 6

I have this RGC chart that came with the gripper.

20221228_162710.jpg

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2

Vulcan V2 CROM Spring:

Warming up:

1-1

1-2

One rep max:

4-5(level 16) miss

4-4(level 15) 3 singles+5 second holds

Closed 1 and got super close on the other 2 attempts

RB adjustable Gold Spring:

4-4(52.4kg RGC):

4 closes+5 second holds

Got all 4!

Recovery:

100 LBS:

3x failure

Extensor "bucket":

3x failure

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 6

Just now, Blacksmith513 said:

Nice one today!

Thanks man I really appreciate it!

• Like 1

Today's session:Grippers

RB adjustable:

Warming up:

1-1

1-2

6-7(76.7kg RGC):

4 negatives

GOT ALL 4 PRRRRRRRR WOOOHOOOOO!!!!!

4-4(52.4kg RGC):

3 singles+5 second holds:

Got all 3!

Recovery:

100 LBS:

3x failure

Extensor "bucket":

3x failure

• Like 6

Vulcan V2 Orange Spring:

Warming up:

1-1

2-2

3-3

4-4

Ultra Wide Set (~80mm)One rep max:

10-11 (62.5 kg RGC) Miss

10-10(60 kg RGC) missed it by a hair this is probably my max right now.

3 Ultra Wide Set (~80mm) singles:

8-8(48.5 kg RGC): 

Got all 3!!!!

Recovery:

100 LBS:

3x failure

Extensor "bucket":

3x failure

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 5

Hey guys I bought @Jedd Johnson's gripper program called Cadence Based Training so I will be doing for that for the next 8 weeks and maybe forever this means that I won't be posting here anymore.

A big thanks to each and everyone of you for following my log and supporting my gripper journey.

I wish each and everyone of you the very best in your training!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Hey guys I bought @Jedd Johnson's gripper program called Cadence Based Training so I will be doing for that for the next 8 weeks and maybe forever this means that I won't be posting here anymore.

A big thanks to each and everyone of you for following my log and supporting my gripper journey.

Good luck, but you gotta check in once in awhile so we can see your progress.

• Like 2

Just now, Blacksmith513 said:

Good luck, but you gotta check in once in awhile so we can see your progress.

Thanks man! I will!

• Like 2

On 1/8/2023 at 6:31 AM, DevilErik said:

There's no need not to ever post here again.  All I ask is that you don't share the program with people.  By all means post about what you learn and the gains you see.

• Like 4

On 1/12/2023 at 7:49 PM, Jedd Johnson said:

There's no need not to ever post here again.  All I ask is that you don't share the program with people.  By all means post about what you learn and the gains you see.

I won't share it with anyone you have my word.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DevilErik said:

I won't share it with anyone you have my word.

I was pleasantly suprised by how comprehensive it is, it's definitely worth every penny. 

I don't put out garbage ebooks like most people.  My products are generally complete explorations of the topic and worth every penny.  Thanks again for your purchase.

• Like 2

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 6

I made a mistake so I will have to start over luckily I was only a week in.

I am using the RB Adjustable.

These are my current maxes:

My current right hand max is 5-5(62.1 kg RGC)

My current left hand max is 4-4(52.4 kg RGC)

I will see you guys in 8 weeks.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, DevilErik said:

I made a mistake so I will have to start over luckily I was only a week in.

These are my current maxes:

My current right hand max is 5-5(62.1 kg RGC)

My current left hand max is 4-4(52.4 kg RGC)

I will see you guys in 8 weeks.

good luck! 

• Like 2