Log: Getting As Strong As When I Was 25 By The Time I'm 40

Royz

september 28th 2015

Overhead press

10x3x72,5kg

Much more snappy than last week, last two sets were hard though.

Grippers holds

Right 3xGM (148)

Left 3xghp6 (131)

Steep incline pin press

up to 3x82,5kg

Floor press

up to 3x100kg

Didn't have much gusto left for this one...

Wristroller 48mm

up to 90kg

Rear/side delts supersets

up to 15+15x16kg

One hand pull downs

5x15x45kg

Back of right shoulder hurts with back exercises, so only light pulls for now.

• Like 1

Regarding the gripper holds, my experience is that my hands got stronger in doing just that, holds, but not in closing ROM. Curious if it will benefit you.

Good presses. Back of shoulder no pain when pressing?

Regarding the gripper holds, my experience is that my hands got stronger in doing just that, holds, but not in closing ROM. Curious if it will benefit you.

Good presses. Back of shoulder no pain when pressing?

I will do mostly holds for the next couple of weeks so we'll see.

Fortunately no shoulder pain at all with pressing just with pulling.

• Like 1

Did a little RT session last night.

Planned to do 10x3x72,5. However after 4 sets I was interrupted by my youngest son waking up. After I put him to bed again I didn't have any focus left so called it a day. Did a couple of sets with thumbscrews on the Vulcan too.

October 2nd 2015

DO deadlift

10x3x175kg!

Nice. Felt solid. It's very hard to keep your focus during 10 sets. Some sets were easier than others because of this. Last set was actually one of the best.

Horizontal leg press

up to 5x190kg + 30x130kg (the burn...)

Plate curl

5x15kg/ 2x20kg(2x10kg)/ 2x20kg(2x10kg)/ 5x15kg

Still going well. Left wrist was actually strongest today. Too bad they haven't got any proper small diameter 20kg plates at my gym..

Hammer grip wrist curl

5x12x30kg

• Like 1

October 6th 2015

It's getting old, but had another string of broken nights with my youngest son. Energy very low.

Overhead press

3x70kg/ 3x75kg/ 7x3x73,5kg

75kg was just a tad too much today. Managed to do a number of sets with 73,5kg solely on character.

Grippers holds

Right 4x hold GM (148)

Left 4x hold ghp6 (131)

So far I'm not noticing any improvement with the holds, still can't completely hold the GM shut. Going to give it a few more weeks and try some holds with different harder/easier grippers.

Dip machine

10x135kg/ 10x155kg/ 6x175kg/ 6x175kg

Wristroller 48mm

up to 95kg

Kettlebell Bottom up press

10x20kg/ 5x24kg/ 5x24kg/ 4x24kg

It defies my imagination how anyone could do these with 48kg (or more)... insane.

Barbell rows

up to 8x120kg

Haven't done these in a while. Felt good.

Abs

Pallof press and ab wheel supersets.

Edited by Royz

You can probably do a lot of pullups too!? I cant do a single one. 😁

You can probably do a lot of pullups too!? I cant do a single one.

I'm actually really bad at pullups. They hurt my elbows, so I rarely do them. Always been better at rows.

In the past I've done a lot of barbell rows. I found out that pendlay rows are far superior, had to cut back a lot of weight. But strong rows indeed.

In the past I've done a lot of barbell rows. I found out that pendlay rows are far superior, had to cut back a lot of weight. But strong rows indeed.

Why do you feel Pendlay rows are superior? Some say btw that you could actually go heavier with Pendlay rows because you set down the weight on the floor between every rep, so time under tension is very short. But I've never really seriously tried them.

Heavier? First of all you keep your upper body parallel to the floor in contrast with a barbell row. That's a starting position that's way harder to pull than a more upright torso position. With Yates row you can pull even bigger weights. Torso must stay parallel and may not come up, all the work has to be done by the lats and upperback.

Pendlays are ment to be done explosively as you know pendlay's has a weightlifting background and no bodybuilding background. I'm no fan of the tut-theories. The pull needs to be explosive (fast as possible) and put controlled back to the ground. In powerlifting and weightlifting this is the way to preform a movement. As with a deadlift you need to pull the liftoff as explosive as possible because this will result in more speed and bigger weights. And as we all know that making deadlift repetitions with deadstops is way harder to do than T&G the reps. So putting the weight back on the ground will imo not make the movement any easier.

Just try them, in the beginning you will hate them. ;)

October 9th 2015

Box squats with 3sec. pause

up to 5x135kg/ 10x110kg

Awkward stuff those box squats...

Rolling thunder

3x70kg/ 3x75kg/ 3x77,5kg/ 3x80kgPR!/ holdx70kg (right 11sec./ left 7 sec.)

Woohoo a little PR.

Romanian deads

3x8x140kg

Plate curls

3x6x15kg

Still improving.

October 12th 2015

Overhead press

3x70kg/ 3x75kg/ 3x80kg/ 3x82,5kg!

This is was a good pressing day! But it's still on par with the best I've done in the past 12 months. I've been at this level a couple of times this year, but I'm just not busting through to the next level.

Vulcan 1.5" blockset (black spring)

Right 7x2xL12

Left 7x2xL11

Forgot to bring my TSG's to the gym! Did have my Vulcan with me though. I actually lost a bit of strenght on the Vulcan. It's just baffling that if you do TSG's for a while you lose strength on the Vulcan and vice versa.

Dips

5xBW+25kg/ 5xBW+35kg/ 5xBW+40kg/ 5xBW+45kg

KB bottom up press

10x20kg/ 5x24kg/ 5x24kg/ 5x24kg

Barbell row

10x100kg/ 8x120kg/ 5x125kg/ 15x100kg

Mounted wristroller 48mm

5 sets with 75kg

Hammer barbell wrist curl

3x12x38kg

Abs abs

I would say the weight jumps near your max are to small and you are doing to many reps. I would do it like this:

5x40

5x55

3x70

1x80

3x85

I would say the weight jumps near your max are to small and you are doing to many reps. I would do it like this:

5x40

5x55

3x70

1x80

3x85

Thanks Jörg I will try this next time!

October 16th 2015

Did I ever mention I hate training in the morning?

Do deadlift

5x3x180kg

Felt heavy, not snappy, but ok.

Framewalk with trapbar

30 meters

x150kg/ x180kg/ x200kg (on vid)

Probably going to regret this tomorrow. Last time I did this I was extremely tired the next day (whole day).

Leg press horizontal

up to 5x180kg

Left knee didn't feel 100%

Plate curl

5x15kg/ 2x20kg (2x10kg plate) /3x20kg (2x10kg plate) /3x20kg (2x10kg plate)!! (on vid) / 8x15kg

Very happy with this! Not superstrict yet, but ok. Took me 3 sets to get in right on video... I guess with the two seperate plates in one hand this makes it a bit harder than doing this with one 20kg plate with the same diameter. However a 20kg plate with a bigger diameter would be (much) harder. Unfortunately they don't have any usable 20kg plates at my gym. They are all olympic grip plates with lots of holes in them. Can't plate curl with that stuff. Maybe buy a proper plate for at home. I feel I'm getting close to being able to curl a true 20kg plate!

Apologies for the ass view...

Edited by Royz
  • Like 1

Ik heb mixed grip nooit als belastend ervaren voor mijn grip, wel overhand grip.

Wel eng die buiging in zijn armen, gelukkig nooit een snapcity gehad vlgs mij.

Oeps, engels modus stond uit. :D

Edited by Grind

Ik heb mixed grip nooit als belastend ervaren voor mijn grip, wel overhand grip.

Wel eng die buiging in zijn armen, gelukkig nooit een snapcity gehad vlgs mij.

Oeps, engels modus stond uit. :D

:grin:

October 20 2015

Overhead press

5x60kg/ 3x70kg/ 1x80kg/ 1x85kg/ 1x85kg/ 1x85kg/ 1x85kg/ 12x60kg/ 12x60kg/ 12x60kg/ 12x60kg

Decided to try the Jörg approach to get 3x85kg, but the strength just wasn't there today. Even the singles with 85kg felt hard. Switched back to 60kg and did some explosive sets with that.

Grippers

In between sets overhead press

Right hold xGM (148)/ bunch of singles MMS with ghp6(131)

Left hold xghp6 (131)/ bunch of doubles and singles with ghp5(114)

Started with the plan to do holds, but they haven't been my friend so far. Not noticing any progress at all. In general grippers are just feeling really off.

Dips

5x bw+35kg/ 5x bw+40kg/ 5x bw+45kg/ 4x bw+50kg

I think the 4x50kg is actually the best I've done on dips. This surpised me after all the sets already done with overhead pressing.

Barbell row

10x100kg/ 8x120kg/ 4x130kg/ 10x110kg

Mounted wristroller 48mm

x75kg/ x85kg/ x95kg/ x105kg!

Best I've done on the wristroller. This one is just so much fun to do. I also feels it keeps my elbows injury free.

Hammer grip barbell wrist curls

3x15x38kg

Supersetted with

EZ bar curls

10x38kg/ 10x48kg/ 6x53kg

Abzz

Stuff

October 20 2015

Overhead press

Even the singles with 85kg felt hard.

You wouldn't say! :sick: I'm miles from there. I am still working on my OHP, only strict, from sitting position. Getting used to my logbar, slowly working to repwork with 55kg, so 60kg repwork is around the corner. Pathetic for my bodyweight. But I have to take it slowly. Still no shoulderpain so that's cool. Growth comes in steady waves in this area now.