Log: Getting As Strong As When I Was 25 By The Time I'm 40

Royz

22 hours ago, Chez said:

I think setting involves a lot of the upper body muscles including the arms, shoulders, chest and back.

You're probably right Chez, however there seems to be more to it. I'm pretty sure I'm stronger than Geralt (sorry Geralt) in all of those areas, but I still can't set the grippers he can.

22 hours ago, Chez said:

Technique is so important as well.

So this is the part I most likely suck at. Might post a vid of me setting. See what you guys think.

18 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Cadence Based Training Program.

Might have to check that out Jedd. I'm seem to be stuck with grippers (and most everything else) for like forever.

Training march 10th 2016

DO deads, 5cm deficit
up to 1x195kg
Still struggling with the mental aspect of deadlifting. I hurt my back twice last year and now I get anxious whenever I get (close) to 200kg.

Goodmornings
10x60kg/ 10x70kg/ 10x80kg/ 10x90kg/ 10x90kg
Best I've done.

Floor press speed
9x3x70kg

JM press
3x5x60kg
Speed presses took most of the oomph out of my triceps.

Underhand chin ups
up to 3x +24kg!
These went extremely well today! Big PR.

Plate curls
3x3x17kg(15kg plate with 2kg clamped to the end)
Left wrist hurt bad today. Even more with the blob lifts though.

Blob trainer
Right 2x10x20kg
Left 2x5x20kg
Left lagging behind because my left wrist hurt like hell with these.

Hammer grip barbell curl
up to 18x48kg

You have the strength. I think you just need to work technique and get your index finger skin tougher. I could be wrong but I believe you have focused more on wide set closes in the past and high reps so it will take sometime to adjust to heavy MMS. 

I had a similar problem with bending. I was strong but my technique was horrible so I couldn't transfer it into the bend. for some reason, the technique for MMS grippers came naturally to me though. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Royz said:

You're probably right Chez, however there seems to be more to it. I'm pretty sure I'm stronger than Geralt (sorry Geralt) in all of those areas, but I still can't set the grippers he can.

So this is the part I most likely suck at. Might post a vid of me setting. See what you guys think.

Might have to check that out Jedd. I'm seem to be stuck with grippers (and most everything else) for like forever.

No need to say sorry bro, I'm not that fast butthurt ;-)  It is very true! You have been training for a long time Roy, you have more experience in lifting etc. The times when we met, you already had strong wrists, curled tough weights like a blob and have strong open hand strength. It is pretty much technique that you miss probably. Sometimes people are just stronger in certain movements, that's the other side. A lot of people that are good in certain aspects of training, were good in that aspect from the beginning. That's why they stick to it. Everyone has certain potentials I think, which are more easy to develop than other exercises. Also, it can be a recovery thing. How many times have you tried to ditch most training and completely focus on grippers for a while? Training is not our only stressor on the body, young kids are,a busy family life and work. I don't care what other people say or do, in the years my kids were small I had enough work already to combine work and private life and I noticed that very much in the garage in the evening when I had to put up some energy for training. I wanted progress in grippers but also tried to deadlift, squat and bench, because you're supposed to do that, right? I was tired all day. First year after my youngest was born we had terrible nights because of sicknesses. But still I wanted to do my stuff in the garage. Now my kids are getting older and I have more time and rest in my mind and body. Now my training is also going better. How many times did you write you were dead tired in your log. There is a direct correlation to those aspects. I don't think the key lies in doing more, but in training smarter and taking time for recovery. But that is how I feel on the matter, and other guys will say the opposite probably. Some respond to KTA, I never did and I gave it the full 110%. Chez started training later than I did, but had already a good base. He went up quickly with grippers. He's just plain stronger, simple as that. I can never surpass that, no matter how often or smart I would train grippers, it's just the difference that is laid out by nature. But I do what I can do and still have fun. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Royz said:

A must have!!!

5 hours ago, Geralt said:

No need to say sorry bro, I'm not that fast butthurt ;-)  It is very true! You have been training for a long time Roy, you have more experience in lifting etc. The times when we met, you already had strong wrists, curled tough weights like a blob and have strong open hand strength. It is pretty much technique that you miss probably. Sometimes people are just stronger in certain movements, that's the other side. A lot of people that are good in certain aspects of training, were good in that aspect from the beginning. That's why they stick to it. Everyone has certain potentials I think, which are more easy to develop than other exercises. Also, it can be a recovery thing. How many times have you tried to ditch most training and completely focus on grippers for a while? Training is not our only stressor on the body, young kids are,a busy family life and work. I don't care what other people say or do, in the years my kids were small I had enough work already to combine work and private life and I noticed that very much in the garage in the evening when I had to put up some energy for training. I wanted progress in grippers but also tried to deadlift, squat and bench, because you're supposed to do that, right? I was tired all day. First year after my youngest was born we had terrible nights because of sicknesses. But still I wanted to do my stuff in the garage. Now my kids are getting older and I have more time and rest in my mind and body. Now my training is also going better. How many times did you write you were dead tired in your log. There is a direct correlation to those aspects. I don't think the key lies in doing more, but in training smarter and taking time for recovery. But that is how I feel on the matter, and other guys will say the opposite probably. Some respond to KTA, I never did and I gave it the full 110%. Chez started training later than I did, but had already a good base. He went up quickly with grippers. He's just plain stronger, simple as that. I can never surpass that, no matter how often or smart I would train grippers, it's just the difference that is laid out by nature. But I do what I can do and still have fun. 

Wise he is Geralt.

Is your nick name perhaps Yoda?

Unlearn what you have learnt, you must. No try. Do or do not. There is no try. Now go I must, weekend it is. 

On 3/10/2016 at 8:28 AM, Royz said:

Lots of good feedback on my program.

http://www.dieselcrew.com/feedback-on-cadence-based-gripper-training

http://www.dieselcrew.com/sean-cashman-results-with-cbt

• 2 weeks later...

Training march 21st

Not training grip for a couple of weeks. After last time my left wrist hurt really badly. Figured it would be wise to take some rest. Also haven't been able to train last week, because my wife had a severe case of the flu and couldn't do anything so I had to take care of both of the kids and do everything around the house too.

Contemplating switching to another, more serious gym. Next month I'm going to train at Fox gym in Rotterdam to try it out. It's a powerlifting and bodybuilding gym. It's small, but they have a lot of specialized stuff that commercial gyms don't have, plus a lot of strong young people serious about their sport. Could help me with sparking some new motivation. I'm excited about it. We'll see how it goes.

Box Squats, with full pause
Up to 3x135kg
Tried to minimize the rocking motion as much as possible. Just straight down, sit for 3 seconds and then straight up. This way it feels very similar to a pin squat/bottom up squat. Tough.

Horizontal leg press
Up to 5x200kg
Much tougher than a regular incline leg press. I could probably do 350kg on one of those at the moment I think.

Standing dumbbel press, neutral position
10x3x24kg
Shoulder feels a bit better, but still bugging me. Have an appointment at a fysical therapist next week.

Some side and front raises

Hammer grip barbell curl

Up to 5x63kg

Abs abs

Sounds like a cool place to train Roy. Next thing we know we'll see you chalked up with slingshot, kneewraps, squatsuit and what more lol 

1 hour ago, Geralt said:

Sounds like a cool place to train Roy. Next thing we know we'll see you chalked up with slingshot, kneewraps, squatsuit and what more lol 

Lol. I actually don't think there are many people in Holland using full gear, if any. Mostly raw powerlifting over here I think.

I just hope that there's a good vibe at that gym and maybe meet some people that can inspire me and give me some usefull tips.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with kneewraps and slingshots, RAW lifters use these things as have I. 
Sent the serious dudes to my strongman gym. I will also infect them with the grip virus. ;)

2 minutes ago, Grind said:

Nothing wrong with kneewraps and slingshots, RAW lifters use these things as have I. 
Sent the serious dudes to my strongman gym. I will also infect them with the grip virus. ;)

True, I ment like the triple ply squatsuits and the mega bench shirts and all that. Going to spread the grip virus over there too.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2014 at 3:39 AM, Royz said:

Grippers are a different story. These you can actually rep and I don't see any reason why cycling your reps and resistance wouldn't work for grippers. Mostly it just isn't very practical because you will need a sh*tload of grippers to always have the exact right gripper for the amount of reps you want to do. You could use a Vulcan gripper to solve this problem but I tried this for the last 6 weeks of 2013 and my crush really suffered. My set has become better but the last part of the crush has become much worse. However I recently bought the adjustable Dinosaur hunter grippers van Matt's. The Tyrannosaur and the Megalodon. These are basically just torsion spring grippers with where the spring is adjustable in height. The feel is the same as any other TSG. I've marked the spring and made 10 levels (see picture). This will allow me to be able to choose the exact amount of resistance needed for the amount of reps I want to do.

I'm very interested to see if this works!

Dinosaur hunter trex2.jpg

I know this post is over 2 years old now.  But I'm curious how high the mounting is at "Level 0?"  It looks to be about 20mm.  Which is what my Silvis T-Rex has spent a good deal of its time at over the last 7 months.  I'll be going through your log to see how you progressed on the adjustable Silvis grippers over the last 2 years. 

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2014 at 9:36 AM, Royz said:

On the Silvis grippers. Haven't got them very long so I'm not sure about the quality of the spring. However if the spring seasons you can always make it harder again by sliding the spring deeper in the handle. The feel is slightly different from a coc because the spread is quit a bit narrower. Because of this I wouldn't recommend doing all your reps with them. However I feel it could be an excellent tool to bridge gaps between grippers. I just hope the little screws in the handle don't wear down, because I change the depth of the spring a lot!

Since it's 2 years after this post about the screws in the handle wearing down, how did it turn out?  I have only had my T-Rex for 7 months.  But I have had no issues at all with quite a bit of adjustments with the set screws.  And my friend adjusted it even more than I did, and he had no problems with it either. 

On 25 maart 2016 at 0:24 PM, bencrush said:

Since it's 2 years after this post about the screws in the handle wearing down, how did it turn out?  I have only had my T-Rex for 7 months.  But I have had no issues at all with quite a bit of adjustments with the set screws.  And my friend adjusted it even more than I did, and he had no problems with it either. 

I really didn't use my T-rex for very long. Because my right hand is quite a bit stronger I quickly became fed up with changing the depth of the mount For my left hand. Having two T-rexes would be more practical I guess. Or you could first do all the sets for your right hand and after that all the sets for your left hand, but that's not really my thing.

• Like 1

The gym you mentioned seems to have a nice vibe, Roy. Think you will have fun there. You figured out if you are joining up? 

The gym you mentioned seems to have a nice vibe, Roy. Think you will have fun there. You figured out if you are joining up? 

Going to train there next friday for the first time! Planning to try it out for a month. After that I'll decide if I'll make the switch definitive.

• Like 1

april 1st

Deficit deadlift (4cm)
up to 1x200kg

Bench press with multigrip bar and orange bands
10x3x75kg (speed)

Goodmorning
up to 5x95kg

JM press
3x5x65kg

Underhand chin up
up to 3x +27,5kg!

EZ bar bicep curl
up to 5x65kg

Finger curls
2x10x100kg
Ran out of time unfortunately.

Prett nice session at the new gym. This was a morning sessions and I woke up with a very stiff back, but still managed 200kg from a small deficit. A best for me. Love the multigrip bar, it's very friendly to the shoulders!

Edited by Royz
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Grind said:

200kg deficit is a very nice lift. Did you use the texas deadlift bar?

Nah just a normal bar. Didn't cross my mind, maybe next time.:tongue

Aaaaand we lost Roy. Roy's gonna be powerlifter lol

Lol. Unfortunately there might be some truth in it. That wrist injury really worries me. I'm affraid it could be some nerve damage.